• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Whose art do you like more?

• Pepe Larazz (House of X, best Rogue in comics?)

Votes: 40 55.6%
  • Jorge Jimenez (Batman, Creator of Punchline)

Votes: 32 44.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sou Da

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That Power Rangs vs Freddy Krueger thread was the most miserable thread I've seen on a forum, holy shit.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
So close to finishing Fire Emblem: Three Houses! On Week 19 with the Blue Whinny Babies.

Just dont know what im going to play for the next 3 or 4 days until Sakuna and the Destiny 2 DLC. Waiting on Yakuza: Like a Boss until later.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
tumblr_ngqo6wjD9a1s5gizzo1_640.png

d5db8bc9404b13c8ff35ed646ee4681d.png

Shonen Jumps/Comic of the year voting

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Reposting for everyone!

-----

COMICS!!! |OT| Comic of the Year 2020 update!

PART 1 - Comic of the Year Nominees Open

Alright, so interest in the "more thorough" Comic of the Year awards doesn't seem to have panned out. Big thanks to folk who wrote down their names, but plans will be going on the back burner for this year, at least. Check out PART 2 for something interesting instead. As for the community COTY awards, later this year we'll be going forward with the same style of award thing as we did last year where everyone in the thread participates.

That said, I still want to provide those who are interested the opportunity to read through as many COTY nominations as possible and to encourage readers here to check out comics they may otherwise have passed by. As such, we're opening Comic of the Year 2020 nominations up early.

Everyone who wants to participate in this year's Comic of the Year process just needs to enter their ResetEra username on the following spreadsheet, followed by up to 10 nominees. These nominees are your official nominations but are -not final- and probably won't be until December at the earliest. They can continue to be changed until then.

Please use your nominations as freely as you'd like. This "round" of nominations won't take into account any nominee's total nominations -- that comes later. It's just a list of books that have been nominated. So feel free to add books you'd like others to check, whether it's that random indie that no one else is going to mention or Immortal Hulk.

Nomination rules:
*Must have been released, either partially or wholly, in 2020. In the case of ongoings, the content released in 2020 is what's being nominated.
*Comic books, manga, graphic novels, online comics are all acceptable.
*No collections, other than specific cases (first-time localizations, extreme availability issues). --Tag and ask for any questions.

docs.google.com

COMICS!!! |OT| Comic of the Year 2020 Nominees

Sheet1 ResetEra Username,Nominee #1,Nominee #2,Nominee #3,Nominee #4,Nominee #5,Nominee #6,Nominee #7,Nominee #8,Nominee #9,Nominee #10,List of Nominees,Total Noms bluexy,Strange Adventures,Slaughterhouse Five,November,Pulp,Rorschach,Alienated,Decorum,Immortal Hulk,Wonder Woman Dead Earth,Far Se...

PART 2 - Community Award

Rather than do a separate COTY award, let's just do an optional thing that's complementary with the awards process that everyone will be a part of. This is an award given to a community member or members for going beyond simple participation in voting. Basically, the entire goal of the awards process is about encouraging members to read comics, encouraging members to discuss comics, and to create conversations. So let's reward those that do that. Feel free to start

Here's how it works
1. Read a comic from someone else's 10 nominations. Any comic will do -- you might even have read it already!
2. Write a 100+ word writeup of your thoughts for the comics here.
3. Keep a list of your nominee reviews, each with a tag to the person who nominated that book.

Example:
"Hey, I just finished reading Rorschach and it's the best thing since Tom Kong wrote Heroes in Crisis. Etc. Etc...

1. Harley Quinn - Messi
2. Harleen - Messi
3. Harley Quinn Breaking Glass - Messi
4. Rorschach - Messi

At the end of our awards, we'll give our award to either the #1 or top 5 of the list. Poodlestrike has even said that they'll be willing to do tags for the winner/s. "Comic Council 2020" maybe. If that doesn't work out, I'll send the winner a comic book or something! Still finalizing the details.

Tyrant Rave

Has A Pretty Cool Jacket
Oct 25, 2017
I guess I should've taken into account that I probably have a high tolerance for that, but I found it to mostly be weird on the humorous side. I imagine it's not for everyone. If you've read something else by him, I imagine whatever that was was far more disturbing, though. Most of his other work disgusts me.
I have Super Dimensional Love Gun which was... not for me lol

I think Kago is a very skilled artist but the content is simply not something I enjoy or really want to see. I can handle horror in art but it just feels gross in his works I feel. Even this one had some particularly graphic scenes from what I remember but admittedly I bounced off it kind of hard so I don't remember it all too well.

bluexy

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Near Mint Condition's Omar made a post in the Facebook group today and had some hints to drop about upcoming collections.
  • Alf Omnibus is never happening!!!
  • Fantastic Four Omnibus volume 4 coming 2021 (didn't even need the suit for that one, although there are some suit videos dropping today and tomorrow:)
  • Wolverine Omnibus. All I can say right now... is you beautiful bastards. We did it.
The comment on "suit videos" likely means some Marvel announcements coming soon.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Near Mint Condition's Omar made a post in the Facebook group today and had some hints to drop about upcoming collections.
  • Fantastic Four Omnibus volume 4 coming 2021 (didn't even need the suit for that one, although there are some suit videos dropping today and tomorrow:)
  • Wolverine Omnibus. All I can say right now... is you beautiful bastards. We did it.
The comment on "suit videos" likely means some Marvel announcements coming soon.
What do they think he means about the Wolverine Omnibus? Are there any Wolverine omnis that needed reprinting or jsut straight up printed? All I can think of is the Wolverine and the X-Men omni.

And what is an Alf Omnibus lol?

bluexy

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
What do they think he means about the Wolverine Omnibus? Are there any Wolverine omnis that needed reprinting or jsut straight up printed? All I can think of is the Wolverine and the X-Men omni.

ahh Omar was pushing for a reprint of the Wolverine Vol. 1 omnibus for a long time. in fact, he's probably personally responsible for getting marvel to reprint it, hedging his relationship with marvel on it a bit. so this comment is basically like, "marvel's happy with the sales. a wolverine vol. 2 omnibus is probably in the works."

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017

I hope it's Wolverine and the X-men.
That's one is like to own.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
That Power Rangs vs Freddy Krueger thread was the most miserable thread I've seen on a forum, holy shit.
At least I enjoyed the new Time Force comic, Sins of the Future.
power-rangers-sins-of-the-future-featured.jpg

Unfortunately my roommate didn't. We're both big Time Force fans. He hasn't read any of the comics (or comics in general) so I think the rushed pace wasn't to his liking.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
ahh Omar was pushing for a reprint of the Wolverine Vol. 1 omnibus for a long time. in fact, he's probably personally responsible for getting marvel to reprint it, hedging his relationship with marvel on it a bit. so this comment is basically like, "marvel's happy with the sales. a wolverine vol. 2 omnibus is probably in the works."
Ohhh, that would make sense. Not really sure what all would be included or if I would want it though. Would have really liked a Wolverine and the X-Men omni, but I still need to get that Wolverine Goes to Hell one first.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know if I like S:TAS anymore.

I used to love the two part finale and... it's a story where Superman fails. Darkseid punks the shit out of him and he ends it trying to murder him, and he doesn't even get to do that. If it weren't for Justice League that's how this story would end: Superman as a big dumb baby who fails and ends up hated and feared forevermore.

It's a great Darkseid story, I guess.

Canucked

Comics Council 2020 & Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Canada

Alf Omnibus better not happen. What a waste of time. Internet memes going too far.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017

I used to love the two part finale and... it's a story where Superman fails. Darkseid punks the shit out of him and he ends it trying to murder him, and he doesn't even get to do that. If it weren't for Justice League that's how this story would end: Superman as a big dumb baby who fails and ends up hated and feared forevermore.

Ironside made a great damn Darkseid.
This is a disturbing reference lol.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
Issue 2 of this new Black Widow series. I have no goddamn idea what is going on lol. But I like it.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
aiptcomics.com

EXCLUSIVE Marvel First Look: S.W.O.R.D. #1 variant by Lupacchino and Bellaire

Emanuela Lupacchino's variant cover features the team in an infinitely pleasing cover with amazing colors by Jordie Bellaire.

Look at a sweet SWORD variant cover, and then if you scroll down theres a preview for next week's Wolverine. Looks like they will be separating the fighters and pairing them with one other person to fight each issue (lol). First up is Magik vs. Pogg, in the Republic of the Fae! I wonder if the other fighters are all watching back in Otherworld or if they are all fighting at the same time and the winner of the duel gets to go join the others.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
aiptcomics.com

EXCLUSIVE Marvel First Look: S.W.O.R.D. #1 variant by Lupacchino and Bellaire

Emanuela Lupacchino's variant cover features the team in an infinitely pleasing cover with amazing colors by Jordie Bellaire.

Look at a sweet SWORD variant cover, and then if you scroll down theres a preview for next week's Wolverine. Looks like they will be separating the fighters and pairing them with one other person to fight each issue (lol). First up is Magik vs. Pogg, in the Republic of the Fae! I wonder if the other fighters are all watching back in Otherworld or if they are all fighting at the same time and the winner of the duel gets to go join the others.
Yes! One on one fights!
Like a proper shonen tournament arc.
This is the secret sauce that has been missing from western comics.

I'm only half joking, I'm really looking forward to this.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017

S:TAS had a bad habit of making Superman look like a complete weakling. Like, the key to Superman is that he IS the strongest person in the room at any given moment. You're not supposed to power him down. You don't challenge him through fights, you challenge him through other ways. It's why S:TAS was never good to me.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
S:TAS had a bad habit of making Superman look like a complete weakling. Like, the key to Superman is that he IS the strongest person in the room at any given moment. You're not supposed to power him down. You don't challenge him through fights, you challenge him through other ways. It's why S:TAS was never good to me.

I like that part because the Canonical Power Levels are nutty so it helps to make his rogues gallery a threat while letting them all have interesting gimmicks and quirks instead of all being superpowered cosmic threats.

I just feel like the show kinda failed Superman as a character in some ways. It's probably the most cynical take on Superman they could get away with before making him a complete fucking loser like in the DCEU. It's Dan Turpin who wins that first rebellion against Darkseid even in death, and it's Darkseid who wins their second encounter; where Superman outright tries to kill him and fails not because of his own morals but because the Lowlies of Apokolips are completely brainwashed. That's how the show ends.

I guess this is part of playing the long game leading into Justice League but as I said a little while ago, that show ended on the note that Superman is only good for punching dudes. Heck canonically he's brainwashed by Starro for years on end by the time of Batman Beyond, a show where Batman retires after believing he's failed, only to return in triumph and retake his company while Terry takes the mantle, ensuring the legacy of Batman will outlive even him.

bluexy

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Just confirmed on Near Mint Condition -- Predator: The Original Years Omnibus Vol. 1 in August 2021.

2VnYSBw.png

qHPpnt7.png
zkP4bV6.png

2McCjSH.png

Sibersk Esto

Changed the hierarchy of thread titles
Oct 25, 2017

Superman never really gets that W against Darkseid in the DCAU/JL.

bluexy

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Its weird Marvel is reprinting Dark Horse comics.
Are they recolouring them as well? As that Predator cover looks like it was recoloured.
yar marvel got the license from dark horse not too long ago. i don't think they're recoloring. might just be the cover?

Porl

Nov 6, 2017
I think it's still great and they seem to love doing it so why not
Oh absolutely I'm not complaining, I just want to binge it all once it's done but I feel I'll be waiting a long time.

And when I read the first 3 volumes I would have never expected it to go this long

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deadly Class is one of the last Remender books still going. Seven to Eternity is on its last arc, Low is ending, Born to Run is over, Black Science ended. It's basically just Deadly Class and his new Scumbag book. Kinda weird cuz he used to have half a dozen books running around all year.

Status
Not open for further replies.