• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Whose art do you like more?

• Pepe Larazz (House of X, best Rogue in comics?)

Votes: 40 55.6%
  • Jorge Jimenez (Batman, Creator of Punchline)

Votes: 32 44.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
Does shit like that even count in DC when they've had what? 3 universe resets since then?

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People need to stop acting like every piece of history in a person's comics affects the newest issue.

More seriously, Harley spent over a decade of real time aiding and abetting Joker when he was a violent sadistic murderer. She first entered the comics in No Man's Land which ends with Joker killing Gordon's wife. Harley is built to be a sympathetic victim of the Joker only the worst excesses of comic writers means Harley has to be accessory to hundreds of tragedies. Even Injustice decided that Harley was allowed to get away with helping Joker nuke a city and driving Superman mad because she's that popular, to the point where she joins the Justice League in the end. Meanwhile the DCAU where the Joker, who couldn't kill people on-screen, was allowed to be a funny villain and, consequently, Harley could be a tragic and sympathetic figure who ultimately gets her redemption years later (and, not coincidentally, gets away from the Joker when he commits his worst crime imaginable and dies for it).

Wolverine has the same problem where he is, simultaneously, the gruff lovable rogue of the team and an unrepentant murderer who constantly kills people who pose no threat to him, but Wolverine comics sell a whole lot so the universe twists itself in knots justifying why anyone puts up with him.

Tyrant Rave

Has A Pretty Cool Jacket
Oct 25, 2017
Is Tynion's Batman any good?

That thread about Harley forcing Batman to leave the Joker to die kinda soured my mood on picking it up.
it's good and solid fun. you're not going to get something trying to reinvent the character and history, but that's like, fine. I think it's probably been the most consistent regular Batman comic since Morrison was on board honestly. And that might not be the highest praise since I don't like Snyder and I dropped King's run but hey, that's my take on it.

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017

That thread about Harley forcing Batman to leave the Joker to die kinda soured my mood on picking it up.

His Batman is fine, but his Detective Comics was fantastic, so more Bat-Family from him is great.

Honestly, I feel the same about Tynion's Batman as Spencer's Spider-Man. I had larger expectations based on past work (Superior Foes in Spencer's case) and it's fine. It's a good run, but not amazing.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
Wolverine has the same problem where he is, simultaneously, the gruff lovable rogue of the team and an unrepentant murderer who constantly kills people who pose no threat to him, but Wolverine comics sell a whole lot so the universe twists itself in knots justifying why anyone puts up with him.
Wolverine at least in most of the X-men I've read is not some indiscriminate butcher.
He does kill people but only if they are trying to kill him first.
And I don't think he gets any enjoyment out of it.

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017

I've been going through a lot of old wolverine comics and he doesn't do this unless he's being lapdogged. Like Wolverine definitely kills a lot of people, but very few would I call unjustified unless there's a plot point nonsense about it, which I think fits with most mindcontrolled heroes.

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

I am leaving this community!
Oct 25, 2017
All these villians should be in prison and they make new villians every month.

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

Oct 25, 2017
I'm gonna start saying what I really feel about comics.

I like Punchline. Very much.

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

Oct 25, 2017
pulled the trigger on sandman deluxe and threw in mister miracle for free shipping. might need to make a bunker with all my hardcovers so I'm stocking up now

oh

oh my

You know I think I should ask Melo would she do a Sunstone painting after the Harley and Ivy story...

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
A thought.

If Emma Frost was killed and revived on Krakoa, would she come back with or without her breast implants?

I as always, ask the important questions.

Mar 17, 2019
I legit thought today was Wednesday. I got off work at 10am, got some coffee and went to my LCS and asked for my pull. I only have Marvel and Image stuff in my pull currently. LCS dude just laughed.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Emma's a lot like Wally West in that nostalgia caused the old and busted model to get dragged back on stage and subverting their successor. Thank god for Marauders.

(only the stories that defined the modern Emma Frost aren't good)

Sibersk Esto

Changed the hierarchy of thread titles
Oct 25, 2017
Being a sexy lady has kept Emma from getting anywhere near Wally West status

tim1138

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm surprised that tim1138 didn't nominate that.

It would have been top 15 if I strung it out that far. I'm enjoying it but it's not as good as season 1 or Blackstars and is the third best Lantern book this year. I enjoy that Morrison is just going for it and throwing all his craziness out there for Sharp to draw, but you know, there's always room in my heart for the bald one.

ElNarez

Oct 28, 2017
Hey, just to confirm, the current spreadsheet for comic of the year is non-ranked right? it's just "name ten books you liked"

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
Wolverine has the same problem where he is, simultaneously, the gruff lovable rogue of the team and an unrepentant murderer who constantly kills people who pose no threat to him, but Wolverine comics sell a whole lot so the universe twists itself in knots justifying why anyone puts up with him
I don't think Wolverine is punisher level kill crazy only time he kills nowadays tends to be villains trying to kill him or innocent people or is mind controlled

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Im reading Suicide Squad to review for someone's top 10 list

Dark Multiverse Batman Hush was neat. Wish we got more time with Bruce, but the world was really neat.

Boogiepop

Oct 25, 2017
Ooh, just saw the Sandman Deluxe Edition on Instocktrades, didn't know about that. Do we know anything about the quality/what it's like aside from the cover (Googling has failed me on that front.)

Sandman is likely my favorite comic based on when I last read it, but I don't own it physically because I feel like I NEED nice editions of it versus the trades... but IIRC the absolutes and omnibuses both had a (faux) leather thing going on which I just don't care for as a vegetarian (weird, I know. But if I'm buying fancy things to sit on my shelves I want to be fully satisfied with them.) So if this is finally the release of the series I've been waiting for, that'd make me very happy!

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017

I nominated it for my top 10 of the year, but you and I are like 50/50 for agreeing on things. The Harley is justified in the book. You should know better than to go off an OT thread where the thread creator gives bad context.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Hey, just to confirm, the current spreadsheet for comic of the year is non-ranked right? it's just "name ten books you liked"
correct.
When's the deadline for the top comics list and where do we submit
deadline is in December, so there's no hurt and everyone can change their lists as much as they want up until then. I'll be sure to make sure everyone gets plenty of notice before lists are finalized.

docs.google.com

COMICS!!! |OT| Comic of the Year 2020 Nominees

Sheet1 ResetEra Username,Nominee #1,Nominee #2,Nominee #3,Nominee #4,Nominee #5,Nominee #6,Nominee #7,Nominee #8,Nominee #9,Nominee #10,List of Nominees,Total Noms bluexy,Strange Adventures,Slaughterhouse Five,November,Pulp,Rorschach,Alienated,Decorum,Immortal Hulk,Wonder Woman Dead Earth,Far Se...

Porl

Nov 6, 2017
I'm not a fan of any in-universe callout of "Why does Batman not kill the Joker?" because it boils down to the characters raging against the boundaries of their comic books. It can't be justified in any context other than "Joker comics make a lot of money" so Batman always looks weak and impotent in the face of his friends, his children even, begging for an answer that he reasonably can't offer. The Joker fucking sucks but the way around that conundrum is to stop writing him into the exact same repetitive stories.

Besides, Harley's not one to talk. She totally gave a bunch of children exploding game consoles.
I mean leaving that one murdering children episode aside because it was one dumbass writer and it's largely been ignored
She was seriously abused by him, and when she finally left him behind, he just found ways to get back into her life and torture her and make her life worse and just generally fuck with her (plus all the senseless amounts of murder and destruction he keeps doing), and now she finds out he dragged another girl into his life? Another one who could end up broken and abused like her? Like I'm sorry but she's exactly the one to talk

And regarding the other thing, that's not really what happens in the story. Or at least not with that tone. Generally the whole story arc is about leaving behind the New 52 ways of "loner batman does everything by himself and his villains are super important to him, almost more than his family." Like, sure, they appear a bit in some places, and in King's run there's Selina, but it's still all (mostly) focused on batman and his villains and the almost obsessive relationship between the two, leaving the rest of the bat-family to the side.
Joker War is about breaking away from those habits and working more closely with everyone else, and moving forward. And, like, sure, there's like one conversation or two where they argue about killing the joker, but when we get to the end and there's the "save harley or save joker" thingy it's not about who dies. It's just more of a turning point for Bruce and Harley. Batman knows the joker won't die. Him walking away is just a signal that, "hey, the joker is not that fucking important, and i got better things to do. I got a family. I got other responsibilities and you're just one more bad guy. You don't get to walk all over me like you usually did" I think it was well done and didn't really fall into what you're describing, but idk.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
For everyone who missed it the first couple of times!

COMICS!!! |OT| Comic of the Year 2020 update!

PART 1 - Comic of the Year Nominees Open

Alright, so interest in the "more thorough" Comic of the Year awards doesn't seem to have panned out. Big thanks to folk who wrote down their names, but plans will be going on the back burner for this year, at least. Check out PART 2 for something interesting instead. As for the community COTY awards, later this year we'll be going forward with the same style of award thing as we did last year where everyone in the thread participates.

That said, I still want to provide those who are interested the opportunity to read through as many COTY nominations as possible and to encourage readers here to check out comics they may otherwise have passed by. As such, we're opening Comic of the Year 2020 nominations up early.

Everyone who wants to participate in this year's Comic of the Year process just needs to enter their ResetEra username on the following spreadsheet, followed by up to 10 nominees. These nominees are your official nominations but are -not final- and probably won't be until December at the earliest. They can continue to be changed until then.

Please use your nominations as freely as you'd like. This "round" of nominations won't take into account any nominee's total nominations -- that comes later. It's just a list of books that have been nominated. So feel free to add books you'd like others to check, whether it's that random indie that no one else is going to mention or Immortal Hulk.

Nomination rules:
*Must have been released, either partially or wholly, in 2020. In the case of ongoings, the content released in 2020 is what's being nominated.
*Comic books, manga, graphic novels, online comics are all acceptable.
*No collections, other than specific cases (first-time localizations, extreme availability issues). --Tag and ask for any questions.

docs.google.com

COMICS!!! |OT| Comic of the Year 2020 Nominees

Sheet1 ResetEra Username,Nominee #1,Nominee #2,Nominee #3,Nominee #4,Nominee #5,Nominee #6,Nominee #7,Nominee #8,Nominee #9,Nominee #10,List of Nominees,Total Noms bluexy,Strange Adventures,Slaughterhouse Five,November,Pulp,Rorschach,Alienated,Decorum,Immortal Hulk,Wonder Woman Dead Earth,Far Se...

PART 2 - Community Award

Rather than do a separate COTY award, let's just do an optional thing that's complementary with the awards process that everyone will be a part of. This is an award given to a community member for going beyond simple participation in voting. Basically, the entire goal of the awards process is about encouraging members to read comics, encouraging members to discuss comics, and to create conversations. So let's reward those that do that. Feel free to start

Here's how it works
1. Read a comic from someone else's 10 nominations. Any comic will do -- you might even have read it already!
2. Write a 100+ word writeup of your thoughts for the comics here.
3. Keep a list of your nominee reviews, each with a tag to the person who nominated that book.

Example:
"Hey, I just finished reading Rorschach and it's the best thing since Tom Kong wrote Heroes in Crisis. Etc. Etc...

1. Harley Quinn - Messi
2. Harleen - Messi
3. Harley Quinn Breaking Glass - Messi
4. Rorschach - Messi

At the end of our awards, we'll give our award to either the #1 or top 5 of the list. Maybe we can even talk Poodlestrike into giving out a title or titles for a prize. "Comic Council 2020" maybe. If that doesn't work out, I'll send the winner a comic book or something!

---

Always interested in feedback, so let me know if anything does or doesn't work! Otherwise, please do take the time to fill out some nominees!

Status
Not open for further replies.