• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Whose art do you like more?

• Pepe Larazz (House of X, best Rogue in comics?)

Votes: 40 55.6%
  • Jorge Jimenez (Batman, Creator of Punchline)

Votes: 32 44.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Tales from the Dark Multiverse: Batman Hush was pretty good. I'd definitely put it near the top as far as the Tales issues go. A great start to this new batch and much like the last batch, a Batman story.
Nice! Excited to read it later tonight.

Watched Blame! on Netflix and now it has me thinking about getting knights of sidonia.

I didn't love Blame's manga or Biomega but I did enjoy them and thought the world building was top notch. I do have the first volume of Sidonia since a dude on Reddit sold it for 5 dollars but I never got around to reading it.
Knights of Sidonia is Nehei's attempt at doing a more mainstream story compared to everything else hes done, for sure lol. I loved the anime, but they never finished the story which bummed me out until they started releasing the manga in the oversized master editions. If you like Nehei's weird worlds and characters, while also enjoying big mecha fighting manga, I think you will like it.

Ive only read the first volume of Biomega, but I was hoping they would release it in the Master Editions next. But if you didnt like it, I probably wont either lol. I really like his weird ideas and the art is what drew me to him randomly.

EDIT: The studio who did the BLAME! movie and the Knights of Sidonia series are the ones doing the Levius movie right now

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
I miss Hush in the regular Batman stories.
Although I guess he was only good under Dini.

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
Bendis Young Justice issues are $1 each up to #14. I gave up early on, but might come back to it now that it is done.

Tales from the Dark Multiverse: Batman Hush was pretty good. I'd definitely put it near the top as far as the Tales issues go. A great start to this new batch and much like the last batch, a Batman story.

Good to hear. Just a really cool concept overall, and I look forward to some more good tales from the dark multiverse!

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
The Loneliness of the Long-Distance Cartoonist (Adrian Tomine, 1 vol.)
Autobiography/drama/comedy
AsTEp2P.png

I like Adrian Tomine. I think I've read all the collections he's put out—from Optic Nerve to Scenes from an Impending Marriage, I've been there. Since it's addressed countless times in this book that nobody can pronounce his name, it's like toe-mee-nay; it's not toe-meen, toe-mine, or toe-mih-nee. When I think of great, modern cartoonists, Tomine is one of the first who comes to mind. He's an "alt" cartoonist, but he doesn't have a weird, sketchy style that would put off most of the people that are just reading mainstream comics. He doesn't do gross-out humor, he's not making stoner references all the time, and he's generally not trying to blow your brain apart. He often tells stories that people can relate to, even though many of his characters are assholes. Luckily, the asshole is him this time (I'mkiddingIloveyouAdrian), so he's just a lot more relatable. I don't have social anxiety, so while I don't necessarily have many events in my life that compare to his awkward moments stumbling with what to say/do, that doesn't change the relatable, everyday feeling of his interactions. The book follows him from I think 12 years old in 1982 until he starts this book.

i62Smij.png

As a writer, I think Tomine is funny, clever, and thoughtful. In his fiction, he doesn't tend to show much emotion outside of aggression overtly. While there are many forlorn characters, they don't express their longing or hopelessness as explicitly. Sometimes, they feel very hollow. Tomine himself as the main character doesn't have the same issue, because the emotional spectrum he remembers in his earlier years as a cartoonist are on full display: embarrassment, sorrow, loneliness, love, and anger. He may not delve deep into the feeling of falling in love, the tone is appropriate for the book. Tomine doesn't depict himself as the most affable individual, so there are many moments that seem straight out of Curb Your Enthusiasm or Seinfeld. Holy shit, there are some awkward moments that had me putting my head in my hands while laughing. To evoke such powerful secondhand shame is pretty impressive. In a lot of ways, this book is more similar to his smallest collection, Scenes from an Impending Marriage, than his most recent collection, Killing and Dying. It's less about the "empty, played out Gen-X pseudo-profundity" consistent with the majority of his oeuvre and more about snips of his past, which often end with a laugh. They never feel shallow or undeserved, though. This is a very funny book, but only if you like that awkward comedy.

0D0zPts.png

I love Tomine's art style so much. If I could draw like anyone, I think I might be happiest drawing like him. I don't need to be Pepe Larraz or Jorge Jimenez. If I could portray real life with such genuine humanity, I'd be more than satisfied. Tomine isn't the sort of artist that is going to try to wow you with sweeping landscapes on two-page spreads. Instead, his style is most conducive to... well... reading! The faces are empathetic and emotive, and their bodies express perfectly. It's easy to fly through the pages, because everything flows so damn well! Tomine remains an excellent cartoonist with decades of experience under his belt which only hold his stories up higher and higher.

It's funny to think back to earlier works, like Shortcomings, where the protagonist is feels like a reflection of Tomine's worst thoughts about himself. He's petty, pretentious, and self-loathing. In this book, we get to see his best (despite the awkward lows): he's diligent, caring, and really quite funny. To see him as a father and husband paints a more complete picture of his thoughts, and it was a joy to read, even when I was shaking my head and saying, "Adrian, noooooo!"

Porl

Nov 6, 2017
Really bummed out that YJ got canned. These last couple issues, even if good and fun (though the dialogue in #20 was pretty weird sometimes), were still kinda rushed so some of the arcs could be completed before the end of the series, and then Bendis just leaves them in a great place for someone else to pick up on but I doubt anyone will. Wonder comics was great and lasted too damn little

Like i just see that last page and I immediately want more because, i mean, look at all those characters, they're so fucking great. But there's nothing. That's it there's nothing else.

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
It is? Guess death metal is one of those "but those tie-ins are good though!" events
Snyder and Capullo created a really cool world with the Metalverse, but the main story is quite boring, yes. The JL tie-in is pretty much just a cross-country road trip to destroying Promethea's throne with random members of the JL teams. Written by Williamson, so it's at the very least solid.

Aurica

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
Really bummed out that YJ got canned. These last couple issues, even if good and fun (though the dialogue in #20 was pretty weird sometimes), were still kinda rushed so some of the arcs could be completed before the end of the series, and then Bendis just leaves them in a great place for someone else to pick up on but I doubt anyone will. Wonder comics was great and lasted too damn little

Like i just see that last page and I immediately want more because, i mean, look at all those characters, they're so fucking great. But there's nothing. That's it there's nothing else.
We can only hope for a new series after Future State that brings them back :(

Astro Cat

Mar 29, 2019
Bendis Young Justice issues are $1 each up to #14. I gave up early on, but might come back to it now that it is done.
I'm still on the fence if I should get it or not. Great price and I love all the characters in it but the last Bendis I tried to read was Batman Universe and I was not a fan.

but it has Amethyst and she's a lot of fun, so maybe I'll try the first few.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
zzz i was refreshing IST, having forgotten y'all lost an hour so it won't refresh until 1:00pm here...

fucking DST.

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
I'm still on the fence if I should get it or not. Great price and I love all the characters in it but the last Bendis I tried to read was Batman Universe and I was not a fan.

but it has Amethyst and she's a lot of fun, so maybe I'll try the first few.

Probably would check it out just for the Tim and Steph stuff heh.

Bendis goes either way for me, but at the very least, YJ should hopefully be better binging through like some of his other works (or it is just meh or crap anyway).

Radnom

Oct 25, 2017
At the Academy, right? I go to the Hollywood Avondale cinema all the effin' time, which is nearby.
If you wanna brave their 24hr movie marathon this year, I'll shout you a coffee. All my other friends are babies and stopped going over the years :/
I've never stayed awake 24 hours in my life hahaha, I think I'd go crazy after 2 movies!

I've only read some of the Kyle Baker Plastic Man run but I enjoyed it so I've ordered the book. 50:50 the order gets cancelled on me, whenever a book I've preordered actually shows up it's a nice surprise lol

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Remember when those shitty people were begging Cates not to put Knull in his Thor run when it was first announced. Well he found a way to bring Thor to his Knull story lol.

STL173505.jpg

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know anything about Knull and at this point I'm too afraid to ask.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Todd Nauck has a sweet variant cover for X-Men Children of the Atom! Didnt know he was still doing comics art lol.

EO_fTVhUEAAtTld

Aurica

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
Just saw one of my favorite horror mangaka, Gou Tanabe, like a tweet where a nazi got punched in the face, and I'm very happy. Japan is politically conservative, so I never know with talent I like.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017

"Things are going to be a little quiet on the Batman front until the end of the year, when I can start talking about what Jorge Jimenez and I are building in the Batman title in March, and what Guillem March and I are building in [REDACTED BY DC PR TEAM UNDER PAINS OF DEATH]…" reads a passage from a recent edition of Tynion's newsletter, The Empire of the Tiny Onion, titled 'Batmannery.'

Punchline and the Harley Quinns

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is Tynion's Batman any good?

That thread about Harley forcing Batman to leave the Joker to die kinda soured my mood on picking it up.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
I wanted to make an IST today but my replacement credit card isn't here yet. Fucking Trump, stop messing with my dudes in the mail squad.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There's always 7 more issues!!

It's solid superhero fun with great characterization and great art

And why don't you like that Harley thing?

I'm not a fan of any in-universe callout of "Why does Batman not kill the Joker?" because it boils down to the characters raging against the boundaries of their comic books. It can't be justified in any context other than "Joker comics make a lot of money" so Batman always looks weak and impotent in the face of his friends, his children even, begging for an answer that he reasonably can't offer. The Joker fucking sucks but the way around that conundrum is to stop writing him into the exact same repetitive stories.

Besides, Harley's not one to talk. She totally gave a bunch of children exploding game consoles.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not a fan of any in-universe callout of "Why does Batman not kill the Joker?" because it boils down to the characters raging against the boundaries of their comic books. It can't be justified in any context other than "Joker comics make a lot of money" so Batman always looks weak and impotent in the face of his friends, his children even, begging for an answer that he reasonably can't offer. The Joker fucking sucks but the way around that conundrum is to stop writing him into the exact same repetitive stories.

Besides, Harley's not one to talk. She totally gave a bunch of children exploding game consoles.
True. Harley claiming any kind of moral high ground is absurd.

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

I am leaving this community!
Oct 25, 2017
People need to stop acting like every piece of history in a person's comics affects the newest issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.