• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Gwen Stacy or Mary Jane?

• Mary Jane

Votes: 65 58.0%
  • Gwen Stacy

Votes: 47 42.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Batman and the Outsiders might be the best Batman book out atm. Not that thats a very high bar to cross lol.

Also, on Twitter Hill said that this series was influenced a ton by Manga lol, so that should go over really well with this community!

Yeeeep. The Leftovers is the greatest show in the last decade. Haters are missing out.
The Leftovers is so good and I will watch Watchmen if only because of how good the Leftovers was. I get why people like to shit on Lindelof, but I still enjoy his works for the most part. The Leftovers is definitely my favorite though.

Porl

Nov 6, 2017
Believe it or not, the latest issue of squirrel girl is the funniest one yet

And it has this too
unknown.png

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Squirrel Girl has probably been the longest running, most consistently good Big Two book since it's inception.

Jo-awn

Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY
Yo Oni Press and Lion Forge are merging. This is big mid sized publisher news (!!!):

In a blockbuster deal of mid-sized publishers, Lion Forge parent Polarity is merging Lion Forge with Oni Press, with the Oni team, minus founder Joe Nozemack, running the combined publishing operations from Oni home town Portland, Oregon. Polarity will own a majority share of the new combined entity.

There will be substantial personnel moves associated with the merger:

• Oni founder and President Joe Nozemack is stepping down from his President role and will serve in a board and advisory role.
  • Oni Publisher James Lucas Jones will be President and Publisher of the combined entity;
  • Oni VP Creative and Business Development Charlie Chu will be EVP of Creative and Business Development.
  • Oni Editor-in-Chief Sarah Gaydos will be Editor-in-Chief of the new company.
  • Oni Director of Sales Margot Wood will also be part of the combined entity management team.
No word on the fate of the Lion Forge employees in related positions, which include a top editorial staff assembled over the past few years

Read more here:
https://icv2.com/articles/news/view...o-merge?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

This is going to be very, very interesting going forward. Lion Forge and Oni Press have outputting some interesting titles so to have them under the same roof will put them toe to toe with the likes of Dark Horse and Image Comics. I have an old co-worker who works at Lion Forge. I hope she doesn't get laid off as she's an editor there.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
How was Flash Year One #1? Williamson is on today's comics conspiracy podcast.

Speaking of podcasts, Kevin Smith just did a long interview with the Endgame writers, but it was posted on the SmodCast.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The best days of my life are when Vinland Saga and Ultraman show up in the mail.

shacklesmcgee

Oct 25, 2017
Reading through x-force/x-statix, Mike Allred, Laura Allred, and Darwyn Cooke are just the best. Seeing them back to back, I'm not sure who's issues I like more though.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
I'm a huge Batman fan. Before I stopped I was reading stuff like Gotham Academy, Ms. Marvel, Snotgirl, and Giant Days.
Well, then you can finish Gotham Academy and continue Snotgirl and the best ongoing comic Giant Days! I think we may have similar tastes, so Tynion's Detective Comics should be right up your alley. If you enjoy character driven books with comedy and heart, consider giving Sunstone a try (it is very NSFW, but it isn't just smut).

crimsonECHIDNA

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Really dug Unstoppable Wasp today. So happy that I started following it because it's just such a fun series. I also really enjoyed this gem:

Nadia2.png

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't want to constantly overpraise Vinland Saga.

That's a lie. That's all I want to do. Askeladd is such a fucking bastard and I can't remember the last time I've so viscerally hated a fictional character.

Aurica

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
I was disappointed by Batman & The Outsiders. Big fan of Hill, and I really loved his little arc in TEC. Maybe I just wasn't in a good mood when I read it, and I'm sure the things that bugged me won't bug you all, but... has he ever met a Japanese person that speaks English before? This bothered me in his TEC run, so I'm sad to see it return. His voice for Katana is awful. She's been written poorly by many people who don't have a grasp of Japanese culture in the past, so maybe it's just too late. Her inclusion of random Japanese words while speaking fluent English are so awkward. Don't say yes. Say Hai. And instead if <Please save me>, having Maseo say Tasukete kudasai again reads awkward. I also don't think that Japanese reads as natural given he is her husband and is requesting help for his life. I pretty much never like non-Japanese people writing Japanese characters in comics, though. Lots of bad traditions. May seem nitpicky to some, but Japanese representation in comics is so dumb 99% of the time and comes from a cultural understanding based on anime and other Americans writing Japanese characters. It never feels authentic. Maybe I'll lower my expectations and accept the incoming soul sword hijinks, unnatural Japanese, and American perspective Japanese mysticism.
Also, on Twitter Hill said that this series was influenced a ton by Manga lol, so that should go over really well with this community!
Oh... now it makes sense.

tim1138

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
In the latest installment of Mark Russell writing a book and me going "how can this be so good?!", Wonder Twins has been fantastic to date.

Aurica

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
Zan's arc this issue was just so refreshing and good. This is one of the best books DC is publishing.
He's such a sweet dude. Essentially "You got friend zoned!" "Yeah, it's great to have her as a friend."

I agree that it is refreshing. I wasn't sure I'd keep pulling it before buying the first issue, but I'm having too much fun to drop it.

Porl

Nov 6, 2017
Really dug Unstoppable Wasp today. So happy that I started following it because it's just such a fun series. I also really enjoyed this gem:

Nadia2.png
Today's issue was just delightful

May seem nitpicky to some, but Japanese representation in comics is so dumb 99% of the time and comes from a cultural understanding based on anime and other Americans writing Japanese characters. It never feels authentic.
I was waiting to see your opinions on this, cause I'm not knowledgeable on this stuff but even then, the "raijin" stuff felt pretty weird

having Maseo say Tasukete kudasai again reads awkward
That moment felt like when an anime fan is talking irl and they just randomly say the three japanese words they know

Hill why

I liked the rest of the issue and Black Lightning acting like a concerned teacher and Duke's arc looks promising but the Katana stuff seemed... strange

lasthope106

Oct 25, 2017
Iowa USA
Finished reading Court of Owls and City of Owls last night and all I gotta say is that some of the best Batman ever. Loved it had a brand new villain and it was a good one, since Batman has such a wide array of excellent villains.

Which made me wonder why in the hell did WB didn't make that as the new Batman film.

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
Agent of Atlas made me realize how many korean heroes Marvel has.

But then i remembered it's Marvel and Korea and it was like "Duh"

It was a cute first issue.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Finished reading Court of Owls and City of Owls last night and all I gotta say is that some of the best Batman ever. Loved it had a brand new villain and it was a good one, since Batman has such a wide array of excellent villains.

Which made me wonder why in the hell did WB didn't make that as the new Batman film.

I agree. It got me back into DC comics in a big way. I plan on re-reading all those before the finale starts this month.

Aurica

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
Found a comic in a bookshop in Venice today. Looked interesting, so I looked it up. It appears to be French originally: Le goût d'Emma : Une femme dans les coulisse du plus grand guide gastronomique du monde

It is about food, and the artstyle (like a number of contemporary French comics) is heavily inspired by Japan. Doesn't seem like it has been translated into English. Do we have any French or Italians in here? Someone tell me if it's good. In Italian it's called Il Gusto di Emma

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
Holy fuck. Cap and Peggy's alt universe daughter is a korean born and raised citizen. That's wild.

Aurica

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
Today's issue was just delightful

I was waiting to see your opinions on this, cause I'm not knowledgeable on this stuff but even then, the "raijin" stuff felt pretty weird

That moment felt like when an anime fan is talking irl and they just randomly say the three japanese words they know

Hill why

I liked the rest of the issue and Black Lightning acting like a concerned teacher and Duke's arc looks promising but the Katana stuff seemed... strange
Yeah. I at the very most could forgive Raijin since they added context. Weird, but I could just accept that Katana is weird.

So at my last job I worked with the Japanese team in my office. I spoke to my Japanese coworkers that moved to the US during adulthood. We speak Japanese and English to each other, and they don't even put just one random Japanese word in the middle of English sentences to me. There are definitely people (usually Japanese teens and young adults that went to/go to English speaking private schools) that speak Japanese and English switching constantly back and forth, but they don't even talk like Hill's Katana. Hill is a reasonable dude, so maybe I'll message him about it... at the same time, I feel like I have no place to represent others. It's just my opinion.

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
White Fox is one of those rarely used marvel characters who I know exists but don't think about, but when I remembwe they exist, I just lose my shit cause that's the most comic book ass comic book concept

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bryan Hill has an account on era?

I kid, I kid. Hill is far less egregious than many others, like Remender.

Actually I want to ask, how is Remender's work when it comes to Japan-fetishism? I've never read his indie stuff but I've always had an inkling that I'd like to be proven wrong about.

Aurica

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
Actually I want to ask, how is Remender's work when it comes to Japan-fetishism? I've never read his indie stuff but I've always had an inkling that I'd like to be proven wrong about.
I find his Japanese fetishism to be some of the most ignorant. I like a lot of his work, but I've ranted in this community a number of times about how dumb some of his stuff gets when Japan is involved. I think Tokyo Ghost is pretty offensive.

My friends tell me BKV is bad with his Japanese portrayal in Y, but I have yet to read that. Jaysus. You should hear my Japanese-American friend. She's way less forgiving about all this.

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
Only japanese related work he's done is tokyo ghost. Which is hard to really gauge. Since it's not really about tokyo.

Though tokyo being a macguffin probably isn't a good thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.