• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What tag should I choose?

• Harley Quinn Appreciator

Votes: 7 12.1%
  • I am leaving this community

Votes: 31 53.4%
  • Wilde for Cockburn

Votes: 3 5.2%
  • Gothams finest eye inspector

Votes: 4 6.9%
  • Comic books almost killed me

Votes: 13 22.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

OptiveLink

Oct 25, 2017
Caught up with Mighty Morphin' and have been reading the Marvel GI Joe comics:

Mighty Morphin' 1-4: If there's anything to be impressed about in this series, it's how every writer so far has been able to make the Power Rangers feel absolutely weak and unprepared. I don't want them to win every fight, but damn all they do is lose. When they do win, it feels hollow and boring. I don't know how they do it. Maybe I'm spoiled because I've been watching Ultraman lately, but the Power Ranger comics just feels cheap.

G.I. Joe 1-5: Exactly what you would expect from reading an old comic in terms of story structure and art. There are some really interesting character dynamics regarding the concept of the war these characters are part of. The first issue shows our "heroes" commenting on how they should just abandon a kidnapped character (that had been lied to by the government to create weapons of mass destruction and was currently denouncing them publicly and exposing their corruption) since she wasn't 100% on board with the good ol' USA. They're told off by the commander and sent to do their mission. At the end, the person is rescued and is still against the government, but now sees that not "all of them are bad".
It's like the comic is saying "America, fuck yeah!" and "War isn't black and white. There's lines you don't cross and you don't get to choose who freedom applies to."
Honestly, I dig it.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I bought Bravely Default II and I don't like it as much as I want to and my Series S will be here soon so I won't have time to finish it anyway.

I need to stop believing in things.

Canucked

Comics Council 2020 & Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Amazon claims my Uncanny X-Men Volume 4 omnibus is arriving tomorrow and yet it hasn't been dispatched. Think they're about to screw me again.

It's part of the process. Before they tape the box up, they mark it as ready, then gently take the book out and smash in two corners. Then they put it in the box with a pre popped air packing bubble and tape it up. Last they lob it two stories into the truck.

All done by robots.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Who buys omnibus collections anyway?

Like, don't you already have the story collected somewhere, either digitally or in other compilations?

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
Who buys omnibus collections anyway?

Like, don't you already have the story collected somewhere, either digitally or in other compilations?

I buy omnis of books that haven't been collected elsewhere, or books I have started/read from a subscription service/library that I know I will read again. Best vfm in the comic market considering price per issue and low depreciation.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
I noticed that lmao. But once you accept the warning for one listing, it unblurs them all.
bhqciN7.gif

nilbog

Oct 25, 2017
DoT has some amazing covers. Favorites I got were the Mirka Andolfo #1 and this one I just ordered yesterday:
image_05ce3525-e610-4ecb-9b30-e4a238f6e9f3_540x.jpg

Wow nice. I am slowly accumulating as many covers as I can. Some of them are already out of my reach I think.

In other news...sigh. Do people not know that White Vision is a temporary thing? You can get a nice copy of Avengers #57 for the same price.

vyhvDMV.jpg

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
Wow nice. I am slowly accumulating as many covers as I can. Some of them are already out of my reach I think.

In other news...sigh. Do people not know that White Vision is a temporary thing? You can get a nice copy of Avengers #57 for the same price.

vyhvDMV.jpg
You'd have to be insane to pay that amount of money for any comic.

Jogi

Prophet of Regret
Jul 4, 2018

vyhvDMV.jpg
Yeah the fact that the tv and film rights were bought isn't going to make the DoT covers any cheaper haha.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
I love how those sellers will charge you over a grand for a single comic, but are still so tight that they will charge you $20 shipping too.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
Got around to finishing Future State Justice League & Suicide Squad. Found both really exciting and felt hungry for more by the end of both. Amanda Waller had some freaking terrifying moments in SS too.
Every time I see your avatar, I think it's Junichi Jaguar from Pyū to Fuku! Jaguar. I'm assuming I'm way off.
edit: It totally is! I've never read it, but I like Sexy Commando Gaiden. I'm guessing you're a big fan of Jaguar? Would you recommend it?

Last edited:

Astro Cat

Mar 29, 2019
I'm really digging Jujutsu Kaisen. It reminds me of Chainsaw Man and I was thinking of checking out the manga but surprised it's already at 140 chapters. Before I go all in, is it worth it? I'm still trying to finish MHA so any opinions would be appreciated.

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
I'm really digging Jujutsu Kaisen. It reminds me of Chainsaw Man and I was thinking of checking out the manga but surprised it's already at 140 chapters. Before I go all in, is it worth it? I'm still trying to finish MHA so any opinions would be appreciated.

Like MHA, it has an arc that's just there? It's a flashback arc stretching from 65-79 that I didn't enjoy at all. Other than that, good shit.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
It's part of the process. Before they tape the box up, they mark it as ready, then gently take the book out and smash in two corners. Then they put it in the box with a pre popped air packing bubble and tape it up. Last they lob it two stories into the truck.

All done by robots.
oof, ouch, my ptsd.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
I don't dislike JK, but for the most part, it seems overwhelmingly average to me?

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
Every time I see your avatar, I think it's Junichi Jaguar from Pyū to Fuku! Jaguar. I'm assuming I'm way off.
edit: It totally is! I've never read it, but I like Sexy Commando Gaiden. I'm guessing you're a big fan of Jaguar? Would you recommend it?
You're absolutely right! I'm a big fan of gag manga and around the time I discovered Gintama & Bobobo, I found out about Jaguar but have only I've actually only read around 10 chapters of it sadly but loved his design and the weird conceit of the series. If you can find a way to read it I say definitely go for it! I truly wish it caught on here in the US. I also loved the Shounen Jump Smash Bros like games: Jump Super Stars & Jump Ultimate Stars and used him a lot in those games too.

I don't dislike JK, but for the most part, it seems overwhelmingly average to me?
I felt the same way. I think I've had 3 aborted attempts at reading it and always stopped at around when the tournament arc thing was about to begin. Though I keep feeling that it must pop off in ways I didn't expect after that which makes me want to give it one more chance.

Last edited:

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
JJK pops off really hard later on, IMO. There's an arc that takes up basically the entire back half of the current run that has some REALLY strong stuff in it.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
It's alright. It does some cool things for a WSJ manga, but overall it's pretty average.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
JJK pops off really hard later on, IMO. There's an arc that takes up basically the entire back half of the current run that has some REALLY strong stuff in it.
I mean, I'm like 10 chapters from being all caught up and I stand by my "overwhelmingly average" assessment. I get that people love this series, but I just don't get it.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I like some of the villain designs, which are varied and unique. I think the standard black outfits the protagonists wear hampers a lot of the potential on the aesthetic front.
See, I really like the more reserved designs of the protagonists. I think a lot of series trip into making their cast look kinda clownish - just too much stuff going on. Not always debilitatingly so, but to their detriment, at least. Nobara in particular looks just excellent to me.

Mostly, what I like about it is some really good character writing. They feel more like actual people to me than most shonen protags, who tend to be defined by a single overwhelming character trait. In a sense, much like the outfits, they characterizations are also more reserved, which I enjoy. Other than Gojo, who is wildly over the top in more ways than one.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Someone give me all your JJK mangas if you don't like it, I swear I'll take better care of them.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
See, I really like the more reserved designs of the protagonists. I think a lot of series trip into making their cast look kinda clownish - just too much stuff going on. Not always debilitatingly so, but to their detriment, at least. Nobara in particular looks just excellent to me.
You can certainly make that argument. But reading any of this stuff in the first place already requires a certain suspension of disbelief. I don't know why some people laud realism in some areas when the premise of the whole thing is still entirely ridiculous.

Someone give me all your JJK mangas if you don't like it, I swear I'll take better care of them.
I just read it through the SJ app.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
You can certainly make that argument. But reading any of this stuff in the first place already requires a certain suspension of disbelief. I don't know why some people laud realism in some areas when the premise of the whole thing is still entirely ridiculous.
It's not realism, per se. It's about doing more with less.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
It's not realism, per se. It's about doing more with less.
Sure. But the crux of the issue is the same. You want a character to be visually memorable. This doesn't rule out simplicity in costume design, but there has to be something unique. It doesn't necessarily need to come from the clothing itself. I felt like Jujutsu has too many regular-looking folks in all black clothing. But if you look at the designs of the Arrancar from Bleach, you have plain-ass clothing, but still physically unique traits that stand out. I don't think I'm asking too much if I'd like something with a little more visceral impact in my funny books.

I'm not saying you're wrong. But your tastes and sensibilities are clearly different from mine. And that's okay.

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
Simone's New 52 Batgirl. Anyone read it?
I did. Much stronger earlier on than later. I've been meaning to reread it. Definitely one of Simone's weaker works, though not bad. It's where Strix and Alysia come from.

The thing that makes it stand out from other Batgirl books (until the post-Larson runs) is how dark it is, heavily dealing with Barbara's trauma after getting shot. Her villains for this run are basically designed to torture her. While Barbara is competent and smart and capable, she's constantly at a disadvantage because she lacks the full Batfamily resources (being that she just got out of the hospital and basically has no job and yet is still insisting on living on her own, though with a roommate). It's a very intriguing juxtaposition to Batman who always feels like even though he's "human" he's always got something up his sleeve and is in control, even when he isn't. Barbara's physically weaker, has fewer resources, and is always in her own head. At one point she gets kicked in the waist and forgets she can move her legs again.

I think where the book starts to fall apart is it gets derailed by Death of the Family. Granted Simone handles it a lot better than Kyle Higgins' Nightwing (which totally shit the bed), but it still hurts the storylines she was building up because HAH JOKER'S HERE TO MESS IT ALL UP. The run recovers, but it just isn't as strong.

That said, I still think it's a good book overall. A very dark exploration of Barbara Gordon, but it just feels like once it hits where it's supposed to climax it gets screwed over and then the book fails for the last couple volumes. Like Simone's reimagining of Ventriloquist 2 is horrific.
I was never a fan of Alan Scott being made gay on Earth-2 because it felt like they just did it to cover up the fact that they were erasing his son Obsidian.

But if the new story is that Alan Scott had his own history but was always gay, then that's great. You're not erasing his son, and now you're able to tell the story of how some queer people that were older had to hide who they were for the sake of fitting in with society. That's an amazing story that can be told, and hopefully they let James Tynion (who's bisexual) tell it in a Justice Society comic.

I really dug the story in the Green Lantern 80th.

That's gotta be a hefty book, but it was so delightful. I've never found myself dying for a reread though.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
I'm mostly in for the obvious horror love the mangaka has, but it's not groundbreaking or anything. What are your favorite ongoing manga right now?
I've been slacking on ongoing stuff. Dr. Stone would probably be up there by default. I don't think there's any ongoing series I comfortable saying I like enough to call my favorite.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
I'm reading Hell's Paradise right now and that's a manga that has stellar character designs across the board. Even the samurais who all have the same clothing end up feeling very unique since they have all cool visual traits that stand up.

JJK on the other hand has some of the most bland character designs I've seen in a shonen in a very long time. There's just nothing interesting about any of them from a visual perspective.

Status
Not open for further replies.