• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I think we all know they aren't gonna print those issues.
That still requires the buyer to purchase twice the amount of books than they normally would. In a perfect world they would be able to save and afford that, but I dont see many doing that, or these other distribution methods moving that fast.

If theres a chance they are going to have a gap in their collection most arent going to continue buying that book.

No matter how you look at it, DC just threw a giant wrench in the clusterfuck.
y'all are just reaching and reaching for stuff that just plain doesn't make sense. of course they're going to print those comics. they have zero reason not to, no matter the situation. of course people will still buy comics no matter the situation. even if they're doubled up. some people will buy more, some people will buy less. that's an entirely negligible point.

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

I am leaving this community!
Oct 25, 2017
y'all are just reaching and reaching for stuff that just plain doesn't make sense. of course they're going to print those comics. they have zero reason not to, no matter the situation. of course people will still buy comics no matter the situation. even if they're doubled up. some people will buy more, some people will buy less. that's an entirely negligible point.

We will see I guess. I hope I'm wrong but DC haven't made a good decision they weren't forced into yet.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
08f50f3dfba25e6cbe38cd6235e7760aa3334833.gifv

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017

Not for stores. Well technically, not for DC either, since they're offer returnability.

Again, I think you're not thinking enough about happen happens to 2 months of comics that you need to get out in a timely manner physically. Even an accelerated release means more shipping, more store space needed to front face them.

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

I am leaving this community!
Oct 25, 2017
I'm fuckin tired. I don't even read physical comics.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
I guess I just dont see what Bluexy's disconnect is. The only way I see this working out is if DC does something like what Whatsinaname said and DC bundles issues at a discount and releases them like week to week or something before the next new issue is out.

Again, I think you're not thinking enough about happen happens to 2 months of comics that you need to get out in a timely manner physically. Even an accelerated release means more shipping, more store space needed to front face them.
And asking customers to buy twice what they would have each week until they were caught up.

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
I'm fuckin tired. I don't even read physical comics.

Neither do I!

I guess I just dont see what Bluexy's disconnect is. The only way I see this working out is if DC does something like what Whatsinaname said and DC bundles issues at a discount and releases them like week to week or something before the next new issue is out.

Which, assuming a sufficient backlog, is still a ton of books at once.

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
Yes! I was finally able to get a grocery pickup slot for tomorrow!

Who said staying up late before a work day is bad.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
So shifting the depressing talk of our hobby's future for a brief tangent.

I plowed through DD Vol. 2 by Brubaker over the last 24 hours or so. First half continues my feelings from the back half of Vol. 1. Just a continuation of that storyline that is mostly just ok. Focus is heavy on other characters(Black Tarantualla mostly) while DD is in a perpetual state of despair. So perfect reading for these whimsical times we currently live!

It isn't until Lady Bullseye is introduced about halfway in that my feelings turned around. From then on it basically is about a year's worth of issues that act as the building blocks for Shadowland. It's fun reading and feels more like classic Daredevil at least. Ninjas in NYC! Kingpin! Women issues! Foggy is on a hitlist again?!

Still, on the whole this is probably the least enjoyable run of Brubaker penned comics I've read from the guy, and I typically love his stuff. None of it is bad per say and it deftly bridges where Bendis left off while setting up what Diggle culminates. But its just a stretch of storytelling that kind of doesn't add much beyond cleaning up the hell-baton he was gifted while planting seeds for the big event to be.

Basically I will definitely be reading Shadowland in the near future to see how it all unfolds before moving into Waid. But for now I need a break from Murdock.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Not for stores. Well technically, not for DC either, since they're offer returnability.

we're having a pages long conversation about something that legit isn't going to matter whatsoever in comparison the the emergency we're having. it matters very little what comics stores get when things open up, at what rate they're sent out, how marvel and DC roll them out, w/e. comic shops will order what they think is right, people will buy them or won't and they'll all complain about it online. it'll be business as usual for shops still solvent.

it'll all be surprisingly dull compared to the fact that a large amount of stores can't afford to keep paying rent without having comics to sell. it doesn't matter slighty in comparison to how bad it would be to the overall industry (direct market included!) if comics just stopped for four months. we're talking a huge loss overall in sales after comics come back, stock prices dropping to the point where dc and marvel are laying off creatives left and right, huge turnover in the offices, long-running series going kaput.

it'll be a blessing if everyone's LCS survives to see the day it can complain about having to deal with how it's going to sell batman #93 and #98 at the same time.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
So shifting the depressing talk of our hobby's future for a brief tangent.

I plowed through DD Vol. 2 by Brubaker over the last 24 hours or so. First half continues my feelings from the back half of Vol. 1. Just a continuation of that storyline that is mostly just ok. Focus is heavy on other characters(Black Tarantualla mostly) while DD is in a perpetual state of despair. So perfect reading for these whimsical times we currently live!

It isn't until Lady Bullseye is introduced about halfway in that my feelings turned around. From then on it basically is about a year's worth of issues that act as the building blocks for Shadowland. It's fun reading and feels more like classic Daredevil at least. Ninjas in NYC! Kingpin! Women issues! Foggy is on a hitlist again?!

Still, on the whole this is probably the least enjoyable run of Brubaker penned comics I've read from the guy, and I typically love his stuff. None of it is bad per say and it deftly bridges where Bendis left off while setting up what Diggle culminates. But its just a stretch of storytelling that kind of doesn't add much beyond cleaning up the hell-baton he was gifted while planting seeds for the big event to be.

Basically I will definitely be reading Shadowland in the near future to see how it all unfolds before moving into Waid. But for now I need a break from Murdock.
Thats a bummer to hear. I was hoping things would pick up a lot more in the second half.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
I loved the Brubaker run personally. Not as much as the Bendis run before it, but The Devil in Cell Block D is some great shit.
Oh yea, that was an awesome arc for sure. Its just the stuff thats in the middle (end of omni 1 and beginning of 2) that has just dragged on way to long so far. I am still enjoying it more than I did Soule's run, Im just waiting for the story to pick up again. After flipping through the second omni though, the lady bullseye stuff looks like what im waiting for.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
In other comic news (not actually comic-related), I started playing the new DLC for Control. Not far in, but I'm happy to have more game to play.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
I loved the Brubaker run personally. Not as much as the Bendis run before it, but The Devil in Cell Block D is some great shit.

Yea the stories immediately following Bendis were the best of his run and quite good. It just never hits the same high through the rest. Though I perked up a bit with Lady Bullseye, that really felt like a Shadowland prologue more than its own thing.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Marvel still has all their books listed for release on April 1st on CMX. Empyre might not be delayed!

Porl

Nov 6, 2017
I don't think anyone posted SGM learning how to draw anime boys from a week ago. Y'all slacking.

61SyojaNAnL.jpg

Crowd funding comics really has become synonymous with the gators.
When I think about comics crowdfunding i just remember how Gabriel Picolo went with his new project to indiegogo, the website all the gators used for their comics, and beat them all and became the highest funded book on the site in less than a month

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I spent too much money lately so now I can't buy stuff on amazon or Chapters.

I guess I should be happy with what I've got, you know, like a fucking pauper.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
I see Marvel gave another non-answer today, basically saying they are working on a plan still.

Their April 1st releases are still scheduled to come out on CMX though. Empyre is still a go!!

In other news, White Knight is being released again, but this time for UK Newsstands lol.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Cant believe manga is stopping shipping also until comics can come back.
Pls don't post these lies.
I spent too much money lately so now I can't buy stuff on amazon or Chapters.

I guess I should be happy with what I've got, you know, like a fucking pauper.
BUT WHAT ABOUT THE ECONOMY!?!
Didn't he already get this out of his system with Tokyo Ghost?
I wonder what SGM's mangaka name will be.

Status
Not open for further replies.