• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hipsterpants

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like DC is trying harder to escape direct market hell anyway, meanwhile Marvel just doubles down and releases 1000 variant covers.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I like Bendis.

#LockdownTakes
Me too. I think he's also fairly good at a wide range of comic types. Pearl/Cover feel very different from Jessica Jones/Alias/Leviathan which feels very different from Superman/Young Justice.
He has some clunky dialogue from time to time and not every issue is great (although with Cover and Alias they are) but overall I'll take him over the majority of writers.

Astro Cat

Mar 29, 2019
Why is IDW TMNT so fucking good you guys

This is the best comic ever
I agree, I just wish it wasn't so goddamn expensive. I discovered Transformers is the same but not nearly as good.
Liking Bendis is illegal. Please turn yourself in for crimes.
Agree with this too. Jessica Jones, Daredevil, and maybe the first arc of Marvel Now Avengers are all that's acceptable. And that Avengers is just dumb fun with good art. I'm also looking forward to Batman Universe surprisingly.

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
Don't get me wrong, I think Sean Phillips is able to draw well but his posing really drags it down. I went most of Criminal without noticing it, but once I did, I couldn't unsee it. Now all i see when I look at his art is Sean Phillips doing really weird poses in his house while someone takes pictures of him. I wish he had a friend who knew how people moved so his art wouldn't be so dang stiff.

I can understand from a motion point of view and I want the action to feel as real as the next reader. But art in comics also has a super important role to set the scene and Sean Phillips is clearly going for a very classic noir style. A language that might feel stiff and dated for sure but it also leans into a whole genre of as support and takes a large part of the intended audience of his comics straight where he wants them.

Hammett's covers.
pBzp3E4.png

Third Man
xx3hnmo.png

Brick
source.gif

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wait Transformers or TMNT? I love crimes but when I was trying to buy Transformers on sale yesterday they didn't have anything like that.

also, nice avatar

NieR 1.5, baby.

TMNT has these massive 16 issue TPBs called the IDW Collections tha collect all the myriad issues, minis and specials in sequential order. It's the best way to follow the series.

Transformers has those too.

Astro Cat

Mar 29, 2019
NieR 1.5, baby.

TMNT has these massive 16 issue TPBs called the IDW Collections tha collect all the myriad issues, minis and specials in sequential order. It's the best way to follow the series.

Transformers has those too.
Yeah knew it was Nier. I'm feeling kind of eh about the remake. I like old man Nier from my ps3 version 😢 still want it though.

most of the IDW Transformers I saw was like 5 issues with tons of side stories which I have 0 interest in. Whereas with TMNT it's ALL worth reading and all amazing.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah knew it was Nier. I'm feeling kind of eh about the remake. I like old man Nier from my ps3 version 😢 still want it though.

most of the IDW Transformers I saw was like 5 issues with tons of side stories which I have 0 interest in. Whereas with TMNT it's ALL worth reading and all amazing.

If you want to get into Transformers I'd just pick up Last Stand of the Wreckers and then start reading More Than Meets The Eye. That's where the modern Transformers comic fandom really sprouted.

There are other series and they're mostly all really good (anything with Windblade is aces) but just start with MTMTE.

As for Nier I've always wanted to play the Brother version, and my PS3 copy isn't going away any time soon so I figure I've got the best of both worlds.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
I can understand from a motion point of view and I want the action to feel as real as the next reader. But art in comics also has a super important role to set the scene and Sean Phillips is clearly going for a very classic noir style. A language that might feel stiff and dated for sure but it also leans into a whole genre of as support and takes a large part of the intended audience of his comics straight where he wants them.

Hammett's covers.
pBzp3E4.png

Third Man
xx3hnmo.png

Brick
source.gif
I gotta disagree, I've seen a lot of noir films and people running like this:

LthEpxL.jpg

Aren't a thing I associate with noir. His posing is more stock photos than noir.

All his fight scenes look like this:

fwRY2dM.jpg

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
I want someone to re-read all of Sean Phillips' comics and post a picture each time he draws a character running in that pose, which happens almost each time there's someone running.

Or this force choke characters do when they're angry.

eF1Xv46.jpg

Astro Cat

Mar 29, 2019
If you want to get into Transformers I'd just pick up Last Stand of the Wreckers and then start reading More Than Meets The Eye. That's where the modern Transformers comic fandom really sprouted.

There are other series and they're mostly all really good (anything with Windblade is aces) but just start with MTMTE.

As for Nier I've always wanted to play the Brother version, and my PS3 copy isn't going away any time soon so I figure I've got the best of both worlds.
Luckily all I bought from the sale is Last Stand of the Wreckers and I borrowed 1-4 of More then Meets the Eye based on SeanShards advice. Wreckers is decent but I feel like I'm missing a lot.

and yeah it will be kinda nice playing as brother Nier.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Luckily all I bought from the sale is Last Stand of the Wreckers and I borrowed 1-4 of More then Meets the Eye based on SeanShards advice. Wreckers is decent but I feel like I'm missing a lot.

and yeah it will be kinda nice playing as brother Nier.

Wreckers is meant as a stand alone that was later followed up in MTMTE. If you've got that, you're good.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I want someone to re-read all of Sean Phillips' comics and post a picture each time he draws a character running in that pose, which happens almost each time there's someone running.

Or this force choke characters do when they're angry.

eF1Xv46.jpg
that's it. we're knife fighting.

this is 100 years of pulp comics, man. exaggerated, emotive panels.

Last edited:

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
This would be my pull list

Antman #4
Black Widow #1
Dr. Strange #5
Magnificent Ms. Marvel #14
Strange Academy #2
Taskmaster #1

IF IT CAME OUT

hqdefault.jpg

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
"Here's where we are on digital. All our data shows the digital consumer and the physical consumer are two different audiences. For now, we're going to continue to release digital comics, but will revisit this if the pipeline for physical distribution continues to be challenged and disrupted," DC Director of Marketing Services Adam Phillips.

DC | GamesRadar+

In 6 months to LCS customers - "Hey, we are in the middle of a recession and we are just coming out of an economy that has ground to a halt. Here are $1000 worth of comics to catch up on before you can understand monthly releases".

They might be two different audiences but I am gonna guess a lot of the floppy buyers jump off the treadmill if they stay this path.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
And you wont get the manga for at least a month lol

Oversized Hardcovers > Digital > Print

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
DC gonna save the industry

"Here's where we are on digital. All our data shows the digital consumer and the physical consumer are two different audiences. For now, we're going to continue to release digital comics, but will revisit this if the pipeline for physical distribution continues to be challenged and disrupted," DC Director of Marketing Services Adam Phillips.

DC | GamesRadar+

Let's check the tape.

Brian Hibbs, Comix Experience
DC's announcement is disgraceful: by separating stores into have and have-nots they are going to hasten many stores' demise, and they are encouraging retailers to violate stay-at-home orders and risk their health for corporate profits.

Further, not in the announcement, but buried in comments in the retailer threads (how disgusting, how cowardly!), they are not going to halt digital release of new books. This is a dire mistake, and even a tiny amount of cross-channel conversion will put the majority of retailers in enormous economic peril, when coupled with the above.

I have never been more been more emphatically disheartened and disappointed by a so-called "partner".

Joe Field, Flying Colors Comics (helped create Free Comic Book Day)
Field said he's heard rumors that publishers are considering a continuation of production by just going 100 percent digital for now — something he does not want to happen. "Or they're maybe going to offer retailers digital codes that we would sell that would be good for getting print books when this thing is finally settled," Field said.

"Both of those options are completely unacceptable," he said. "They would have very difficult ramifications for many, many comic shops."

Field is hoping publishers will simply stop producing new content, and that the Direct Market will survive with the support of readers, publishers and creators during this difficult time.

"I know that many of my customers right now are bonafide angels. They have no interest in digital. They have interest, fully, in continuing to buy from me when I can sell to them," he said. "And for that loyalty, I'm really deeply grateful.

More:
twitter.com

James Santana: House Of M on Twitter

“@DCComics must be nice to have a backing of a major corporation to help you make money while u push digital comics out & leave comic shops & jobs like mine @AndroidsComics high & dry during the time we need support. #boycottdigital #sos #saveourshops”
twitter.com

Adam Pottier on Twitter

“@Newsarama If @DCComics releases new content to some while most comic stores are forced to be closed, they will be doing so much damage to the comic book store industry! #comics #ComicsAndQuarantine”
twitter.com

Collectors Corner on Twitter

“@JimLee @DCComics Comics are @savagecritic and DM stores concerns valid to DC Comics as publisher? Releasing Digital when no printed Comics are Published and staggered distribution are horrible ideas! Do the right thing. Wait. https://t.co/mD70d32nJt”

The dissenter?

I get all my stuff digitally, so no skin off my back, but uhhh... gonna fuck over some stores hardcore.

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

I am leaving this community!
Oct 25, 2017
Let's check the tape.

More:
twitter.com

“@DCComics must be nice to have a backing of a major corporation to help you make money while u push digital comics out & leave comic shops & jobs like mine @AndroidsComics high & dry during the time we need support. #boycottdigital #sos #saveourshops”
twitter.com

Adam Pottier on Twitter

“@Newsarama If @DCComics releases new content to some while most comic stores are forced to be closed, they will be doing so much damage to the comic book store industry! #comics #ComicsAndQuarantine”
twitter.com

“@JimLee @DCComics Comics are @savagecritic and DM stores concerns valid to DC Comics as publisher? Releasing Digital when no printed Comics are Published and staggered distribution are horrible ideas! Do the right thing. Wait. https://t.co/mD70d32nJt”

The dissenter?

I get all my stuff digitally, so no skin off my back, but uhhh... gonna fuck over some stores hardcore.

But hey at least we get to have our comics thus week /s

I honestly believe this is a large step towards the death of comic shops that will have ripple effects on books and their precious hardcovers.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
I mean they were damned it they did and damned it they didnt. Diamond probably should have just said hey were going to delay the next week or two of releases while we work towards finding a way to safely distribute books. I think outright cancelling comics for the forseable future really forced DC's hand.

Either they were going to screw over all of the stores that are still open, or all of the stores that were forced to close completely. This really is a no win situation for anyone.

bluexy

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Let's check the tape.

More:
twitter.com

twitter.com

Adam Pottier on Twitter

twitter.com

The dissenter?

who can blame them when everything is fucked. easy to perceive that any decision better for anyone else that doesn't also help you is also fucked. i still don't agree. i still think shutting big two comics down would be so much worse for the broader industry and would have even worse ramifications for comic shops. a lot of comic shops are going to close, period. there's no real reason to believe selling digital will close more. and several good reasons to think it might save some shops.

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

I am leaving this community!
Oct 25, 2017
Also lol at Ryan Higgins. Man who constantly shills DC and downplays other companies supports DC. Surprise.

Maybe someday he'll get that job at DC.

Retailers must love the fact they they pushed Batman 92 for months... Ordered silly amounts of copies (apparently it's sold redicilously) and now they get nothing other than hopes in a few months that people still care about Punchline. At least they can return that shit now.

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
who can blame them when everything is fucked. easy to perceive that any decision better for anyone else that doesn't also help you is also fucked. i still don't agree. i still think shutting big two comics down would be so much worse for the broader industry and would have even worse ramifications for comic shops.

Then they have to hope the digital sales justify the move and the ire they're creating, eh?

What do you do when they don't? Keep all the teams running with half the sales? The long tail of this is much further out than we realize.

Astro Cat

Mar 29, 2019
Yeah the DC stuff is fucked. I'm digital only except for hardcovers but not everyone thinks buying legit is easier/better than torrenting. And I honestly can't blame them. It really sucks for shops who I no longer visit but I still realize their importance and how fun a visit to the comic shop was as a kid.

bluexy

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Then they have to hope the digital sales justify the move and the ire they're creating, eh?

What do you do when they don't? Keep all the teams running with half the sales? The long tail of this is much further out than we realize.
i hope they keep paying them, yes. it looks like dc/marvel are probably considering distribution models to try and get the direct market moving again, which is frighting health-wise but may also save a lot of stores. that might persuade the big two to keep going even if they're losing money.

Status
Not open for further replies.