• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I really hate when they put these awesome new covers on old material. The art on the cover looks so good, and then you immediately get slapped in the face with disappointment once you open the book.
the freeza and messi are the same person theory revitalized

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
P7lhk3J.jpg

I am once again reminded of how much Sean Phillips' art annoys me.

bluexy

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
fuck. i love sean phillps' work so goddamn much.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Now this is a bad take.
His posing is one of the worst I've seen. Everyone stands like this:

MKzZ2mp.png

Everyone walks like this:

gzjFvAD.png

Everyone who is angry those this weird hand clench thing. I swear, he spent an hour doing poses for references 20 years ago and has never updated his reference material. The rest is good but his posing is just sooooo bad.

Tyrant Rave

Has A Pretty Cool Jacket
Oct 25, 2017
I'm surprised to see how many in ComicsEra live in WV. My parents live there (between Charleston and Huntington) so I spend a fair amount of time there. I never would have guessed that it would have multiple ERA posters from this community.
sou da lives like around the corner from me and he wont even meet me

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
w/e brubaker + phillips do, every single year, is a top 10 comic. every single year. and that's something even folk who dislike crime drama should grudgingly admit.
I thought Fatale was the last book they did that was really noteworthy. They took their usual shtick and added a paranormal element to it. Every other thing they've done together doesn't really stray far from that formula. They've essentially Bendis'd themselves within their own genre.

Eleriu

The Fallen - Teyvat Traveler
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I looked up Phillips' art since I hadn't heard of him before and he has great art.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Don't get me wrong, I think Sean Phillips is able to draw well but his posing really drags it down. I went most of Criminal without noticing it, but once I did, I couldn't unsee it. Now all i see when I look at his art is Sean Phillips doing really weird poses in his house while someone takes pictures of him. I wish he had a friend who knew how people moved so his art wouldn't be so dang stiff.

Sibersk Esto

Changed the hierarchy of thread titles
Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of Morrison, Pax Americana is the sequel/homage watchmen deserves. It's a masterclass at using the comicbook format creatively
I will never get over the page that's all just Moore/Gibbons double meanings, it's probably my favorite single page they ever did together, I hate how all of it just lands so well. I love it.

Want you to know that these posts sent me into about 2 hours of reading, backwards reading, rereading and analyzing this comic for the first time since it came out

bluexy

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I thought Fatale was the last book they did that was really noteworthy. They took their usual shtick and added a paranormal element to it. Every other thing they've done together doesn't really stray far from that formula. They've essentially Bendis'd themselves within their own genre.
genuinely insulting comparison rofl bendis hasn't written anything great in a very long time. struggles to write anything good, most of the time.

tenor.gif

I wouldn't describe anything that way, though. I don't think any comic is beyond personal taste.
ah, i guess that's just a difference in approach between us, then. like, for example, how giant bomb does their end of year lists and how people can say "i haven't played this game b ecause it's not a genre i enjoy, but i know jeff cares deeply about this genre and if he says it's a big deal then i can respect that" and have their game cut first sort of thing.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Ya know if Atlus released P5R early this weekend I could have avoided seeing these bad takes!

Atlus is to blame!

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
ah, i guess that's just a difference in approach between us, then. like, for example, how giant bomb does their end of year lists and how people can say "i haven't played this game b ecause it's not a genre i enjoy, but i know jeff cares deeply about this genre and if he says it's a big deal then i can respect that" and have their game cut first sort of thing.
I meant the Bendis comparison in the sense that he's a completely formulaic writer.

Obligatory:
770.gif

bluexy

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I meant the Bendis comparison in the sense that he's a completely formulaic writer.

Obligatory:
770.gif
yeah i still think that's an awful generalization. writing within a genre is not formulaic writing. all of brubaker's crime work is incredibly creative and emotionally wrought. but it's not trying to break the genre.

May 24, 2019
I like most of his DC comics, but there's always a really clunky bit of dialogue in there which makes me think the DC editors are too intimidated to correct him.

bluexy

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
"Here's where we are on digital. All our data shows the digital consumer and the physical consumer are two different audiences. For now, we're going to continue to release digital comics, but will revisit this if the pipeline for physical distribution continues to be challenged and disrupted," DC Director of Marketing Services Adam Phillips.

DC | GamesRadar+

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
All caught up on Daredevil :(

Was enjoying the binge.

May re-read Brubakers Cap run.

Radnom

Oct 25, 2017
My Daredevil by Bendis omnibus 1 orders got cancelled by both shops I ordered it from :(
I'm guessing I just straight up missed out and they won't be printing more?

I got part 2 sitting here.. and I've just recently finished the Frank Miller omnibuses (they're great!!)

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
"Here's where we are on digital. All our data shows the digital consumer and the physical consumer are two different audiences. For now, we're going to continue to release digital comics, but will revisit this if the pipeline for physical distribution continues to be challenged and disrupted," DC Director of Marketing Services Adam Phillips.

DC | GamesRadar+

Thank fuck

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017

DC | GamesRadar+

hell yea DC! Where you at Marvel!

All caught up on Daredevil :(

Was enjoying the binge.

May re-read Brubakers Cap run.
I'm reading Brubaker's DD and Cap run at the same time lol. Alternating between the two when I get tired of one or the other. His Cap run is some of the best comics I've read, and it still delivers on like my 3rd read through.

Astro Cat

Mar 29, 2019
Ya'll have some crazy takes (Quitely is awesome) but Sean Phillips being bad has to be one of the worst.
ooo here's the finalized cover for uncanny x-men omnibus vol.4

EUTGSzGWkAMmeJv.jpg:orig
I normally love Silva but hot damn that's an ugly cover. It's pretty dumb to be so against older art that this is acceptable.

I finished Downfall last night and it definitely made me feel something. The protagonist (him I guess) was a total creep asshole but it was still amazing. I also ordered FF7 remake from Best Buy afterwards because I gave up hope on Amazon restocking before release.

Last edited:

cormags

Mar 1, 2020
Excalibur #10
Children of the Atom #1
X-Factor #1
Lords of Empyre: Emperor Hulkling

Uh... we'll see if this all actually comes out I guess. I'm gonna catch up on the current Captain Marvel run in the meantime

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why is IDW TMNT so fucking good you guys

This is the best comic ever

Status
Not open for further replies.