• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GringoSuave89

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
LA, CA
This is why "perfection is the enemy of progress" is a saying that's endured so long.

People argue against models that would convert a decent amount of pirates if it doesn't convert all pirates. Ignoring that even if that new model was merely good, the current one is very bad. Sales for even the top-selling comics each month are in the toilet.

Go where the readers are, rather than trying in vain to force them to go where you wish they would be.

I mean I agree, but someone tweeting that piracy numbers are just a bunch of people waiting for a better service is kinda oversimplifying the situation.

R0b1n

Jun 29, 2018
I don't bother unsubbing and resubbing according to my actual reading because I'm lazy like that, so I just keep the subscriptions unless I am super sure I will not ever touch them again

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've always figured people smarter than me have put lots of time and effort into trying to reach out to new audiences, and that the answer was just that they weren't there.

But what the hell, comics are so borked that it might just be due to Diamond's stranglehold and an unwillingness to change.

Deleted member 64377

user requested account closure
Banned
Mar 8, 2020
I've always figured people smarter than me have put lots of time and effort into trying to reach out to new audiences, and that the answer was just that they weren't there.
But what you should figure even more than that is that people at the top of existing power structures will do anything they can to protect those power structures. It's a mistake to assume they want a better industry, if they aren't sure they would enjoy the same position in that new industry, where different kinds of knowledge and experience would be valued more.

R0b1n

Jun 29, 2018
Basically, it deals very heavily with the hypocrisy of the Justice League's terms and conditions under which the decide on whether or not they interfere with standard governmental law enforcement, political, and military affairs. They get put on trial for botching a police raid that results in a dead nun. In addition, a self-assumed group of "fans" of the Justice League are killing political enemies to keep them from being opposed, but they also want to return things to "the way they were." The Fan, as he's called, refers to John Stewart as "that soul-brother" and Jessica Cruz as "the Mexican chick," as there are too many damned Lanterns that ruin the "purity" of the original green. That's an example. The Fan knows everything about the League and even though they can overpower him easily, he's a liability because he know everything about them and they won't execute him.

Anyways it has very similar elements to the Cadmus arc of JL
Huh, this is more interesting than I thought it would be. So there's commentary on the comics fanbase in addition to the political aspects

I always felt a bit uncomfortable when superheroes are shown explicitly to aid in government military operations that are portrayed positively. Like David Reid's backstory in John's JSA and the way I remember it being framed was somewhat jingoistic. I understand that it's a deep-rooted part of the superhero medium but when writers try to tie them to "current" conflicts it often feels simplified at best

Deleted member 64377

user requested account closure
Banned
Mar 8, 2020
It's weird that the comics industry doesn't view itself the way the music industry does.

Once music piracy hit big, there was really no putting the genie back in the bottle. Selling music was never going to be profitable again.

Services like Spotify did replace piracy for a whole lot of people, but no one is out there living comfortable off the money coming in off those kinds of services.

But musicians still make money, on things like touring and merch. The actual music doesn't have value as a thing to be sold anymore, but it has value in creating and keeping fans, so there's demand for touring and merch.

Comics are the same way, but the actual creators don't benefit from it. Just like music makes money from touring and merch, comics make money from movie adaptations, video games, and an endless amount of merch. But creators don't see that money if they're work-for-hire. They only see that money on comics they own, where they're the one making these deals.

But even from Marvel and DC's perspective, they don't treat comics like a loss leader the same way the music industry sees music. And comics totally should be a loss leader, with the only purpose bring to keep people interested in characters and stories so they buy more merch and all that. And to look at what resonates with people, as a test area to see which concepts are worth adapting into more profitable media.

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
Cates' Thor is wild
I think the belt is also utility pouches
Yeah but there's only a couple on the satchel so I think what bothers me is the asymmetry. Like there should be a couple more or just none on the satchel strap.
Huh, this is more interesting than I thought it would be. So there's commentary on the comics fanbase in addition to the political aspects

I always felt a bit uncomfortable when superheroes are shown explicitly to aid in government military operations that are portrayed positively. Like David Reid's backstory in John's JSA and the way I remember it being framed was somewhat jingoistic. I understand that it's a deep-rooted part of the superhero medium but when writers try to tie them to "current" conflicts it often feels simplified at best
Yeah I feel the same way. My problems with Priest's run are 1) the characters don't feel like they talk like people, but they talk like Priest saying this is how people talk, if that makes sense; 2) for what Priest intended to be such a morally and sociopolitically complicated run of comics, it wraps up with a very pretty bow on top of it; 3) none of the actual Leaguers feel very much like characters. They all feel very flat, though that's not to say Priest didn't create voices for them and make sure they stood out from each other. Cyborg is the exception, as Priest uses him to drive home multiple points of commentary on society.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
worth picking up? if we get the chance, that is...

They are really beloved stories, but I felt they kind of bled together and weren't great binge reading. Partly due to how constrained Morrison was between each mini-crisis as he had to basically rework the team based on matters outside of his control every few months. But also, many of the stories feel a bit samey or formulaic, but again I feel this is more a problem with reading them in close proximity back to back.

They are fun in a way though, but be prepared as they are basically a string of world-ending crisis events on repeat for 6-ish issues a piece. It can grow tiring without some breathing room between arcs.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
It's weird that the comics industry doesn't view itself the way the music industry does.

Once music piracy hit big, there was really no putting the genie back in the bottle. Selling music was never going to be profitable again.

Services like Spotify did replace piracy for a whole lot of people, but no one is out there living comfortable off the money coming in off those kinds of services.

But musicians still make money, on things like touring and merch. The actual music doesn't have value as a thing to be sold anymore, but it has value in creating and keeping fans, so there's demand for touring and merch.

Comics are the same way, but the actual creators don't benefit from it. Just like music makes money from touring and merch, comics make money from movie adaptations, video games, and an endless amount of merch. But creators don't see that money if they're work-for-hire. They only see that money on comics they own, where they're the one making these deals.

But even from Marvel and DC's perspective, they don't treat comics like a loss leader the same way the music industry sees music. And comics totally should be a loss leader, with the only purpose bring to keep people interested in characters and stories so they buy more merch and all that. And to look at what resonates with people, as a test area to see which concepts are worth adapting into more profitable media.
Movies are kind of the same. The only method they have to curb piracy is to release movies in theaters, and since they cant do that now they just delay.

I dont know what their answer to it should be, but I for one am tired of the theater 99% of the time.

R0b1n

Jun 29, 2018
Speaking of Morrison, Pax Americana is the sequel/homage watchmen deserves. It's a masterclass at using the comicbook format creatively

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
Goddamnit Percy

X-Force and Wolverine are hurting me in exactly the correct ways and I hate the man for it

Good Ben Percy

X-Force
Wolverine
Green Arrow

Bad Ben Percy

Teen Titans
Nightwing

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm surprised to see how many in ComicsEra live in WV. My parents live there (between Charleston and Huntington) so I spend a fair amount of time there. I never would have guessed that it would have multiple ERA posters from this community.

ElNarez

Oct 28, 2017
Speaking of Morrison, Pax Americana is the sequel/homage watchmen deserves. It's a masterclass at using the comicbook format creatively
I will never get over the page that's all just Moore/Gibbons double meanings, it's probably my favorite single page they ever did together, I hate how all of it just lands so well. I love it.

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

I am leaving this community!
Oct 25, 2017
I hope posting Otto Canary art doesn't annoy people again. But I love his Canary so much.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
this colorist decided emma doesn't have a chest cavity and instead just has breasts connecting the top half of her body to the bottom

unknown.png

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

I am leaving this community!
Oct 25, 2017
A Place Further Than The Universe is the best anime ever created. Don't @ me.

Banana hammer

LinearRapidGalapagoshawk-size_restricted.gif

Also

RareRegalAmericankestrel-size_restricted.gif

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
ooo here's the finalized cover for uncanny x-men omnibus vol.4

EUTGSzGWkAMmeJv.jpg:orig

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
I like the DM variant a lot more. If only because it actually represents what the book looks like.

Plus, its a badass cover.

Eleriu

The Fallen - Teyvat Traveler
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
this colorist decided emma doesn't have a chest cavity and instead just has breasts connecting the top half of her body to the bottom

unknown.png
Sometimes I don't notice that I forgot to color a spot in. But with comics multiple people check it, so how someone didn't notice is a mystery. Her hand also looks too small (could just be the angle) and it's bugging me.

Status
Not open for further replies.