• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
Watching Steven Universe Future and reading Wasp again

EERIE

d8e5e04a29443ffc08aad99db67f3dd4.jpg

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
Felt good to get a couple of books in. Both of them look great. Hadn't made an IST order in months.

49708880183_e67f97c715_h.jpg

49709737757_073de29c68_h.jpg

49709737607_38efdf3422_h.jpg
My man right here

Now you actually have to read the book, though
Poor Ivy :(

Looks great tho.

Damn now I need to read Harleen so I can read Isley
we skipped over straight to 6G which is the generation where heroes don't get replaced, they just stop existing, because all comics are cancelled
So Kingdom Come?
And there's more of Derington in the current Batman/Superman arc.
It's great too
Batman-Superman-8-spoilers-3-300x461.jpg

Couldn't stop laughing at the first two panels, but the actual arc is some real heavy shit and Derington draws the shit out of it
Political in what way? What subjects does it wrestle with? I haven't read his JL but I usually don't mind Priest's writing, but from what I heard about his JL is that it's bland and not very noteworthy. A friend of mine compared it with the recent Venditti issues
Basically, it deals very heavily with the hypocrisy of the Justice League's terms and conditions under which the decide on whether or not they interfere with standard governmental law enforcement, political, and military affairs. They get put on trial for botching a police raid that results in a dead nun. In addition, a self-assumed group of "fans" of the Justice League are killing political enemies to keep them from being opposed, but they also want to return things to "the way they were." The Fan, as he's called, refers to John Stewart as "that soul-brother" and Jessica Cruz as "the Mexican chick," as there are too many damned Lanterns that ruin the "purity" of the original green. That's an example. The Fan knows everything about the League and even though they can overpower him easily, he's a liability because he know everything about them and they won't execute him.

Anyways it has very similar elements to the Cadmus arc of JL
This is like from hours ago, but I really loved Priest's JL and I'm glad you're finding it interesting. Because, damn if it's not interesting. I found its message hard to parse, but I think that's kind of what I liked about it - he wasn't really leading you to a conclusion or moral, just writing out a really intense, complicated situation and telling you to figure out right and wrong.

And I love Red Lion. Like he's for sure just a BP parody, but he's so balls-out that I'm always excited when he shows up.
It's very uncomfortable the whole time, and I want to root for the League, but I can't because the people have a point. There's a hypocrisy to how they operate.

Red Lion is just Black Panther if he was the worst. He's not gentle or kind. He's not from a spiritual bloodline of kings. He's a despotic ruler who supports ethnic cleansings and war, in a country that is constantly at war between tribes. He adopts some kind of tribal name and persona in addition to the Red Lion and his legal and birth name. He's nuts and a great villain.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
My comic reading has been stunted this past week cuz I've been playing a lot of Teamfight Tactics, but 1,000,000 is going well. It's pretty sharp for an event. Everything ties together pretty well. I still need to see the core story come to a satisfying fruition to call it a success, but I'm at least curious about where things are going which I haven't been for some other events I've read recently.

Tyrant Rave

Has A Pretty Cool Jacket
Oct 25, 2017
My comic reading has been stunted this past week cuz I've been playing a lot of Teamfight Tactics, but 1,000,000 is going well. It's pretty sharp for an event. Everything ties together pretty well. I still need to see the core story come to a satisfying fruition to call it a success, but I'm at least curious about where things are going which I haven't been for some other events I've read recently.
DC One Million is excellent. Probably my favorite event.

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
Surprised so many folks were down on Bleach's soul society arc. I thought it was one of the best examples of a concurrent plot arcs in shonen

Porl

Nov 6, 2017

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
Finished Priest's Justice League. Boy that was something. Figures Deathstroke would play a major role.

Anyways I'm gonna read Talon next since Tynion's got me feeling his Bat mythos.
yes great art but I'm so tired of BWLMAO
I mean he's pretty easy to avoid. He's only been in like 4, soon to be 5 books all for 1 single storyline:

Metal (plus side stories)
Justice League by Snyder (one issue to prologue his sol
Batman Who Laughs
Batman/Superman
Year of the Villain: Hell Arisen
Death Metal (which will conclude his arc)

Porl

Nov 6, 2017
Catching up on Deadly Class and im getting reeeal tired of all the Remender Monologuesᵀᴹ
We get it, life sucks, optimism sucks, there's no hope and everyone is fake, you dont gotta repeat the same shit every fucking goddamn issue

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Catching up on Deadly Class and im getting reeeal tired of all the Remender Monologuesᵀᴹ
We get it, life sucks, optimism sucks, there's no hope and everyone is fake, you dont gotta repeat the same shit every fucking goddamn issue
I feel like this is a recurring thing in a lot of Remender comics, though... never mind a few consecutive issues. Portrayals of suffering, loss, and nihlism permeate many of his more modern works, and it's something he even played with in older comics like Strange Girl.

Porl

Nov 6, 2017
I feel like this is a recurring thing in a lot of Remender comics, though... never mind a few consecutive issues. Portrayals of suffering, loss, and nihlism permeate many of his more modern works, and it's something he even played with in older comics like Strange Girl.
Yeah, it's pretty much in all his works, but Deadly Class is special in that the protagonist is a super negative teen and so every single issue has an internal monologue, no matter what the hell is going on in the story, the monologue is always there. Just shut up Marcus, god.

hipsterpants

Oct 25, 2017
I feel a lot better a out the pandemic when I think about how if this had happened 2 years ago, my governor would have been a corrupt Trump shill and the head off he county another corrupt dude who is literally in jail right now. Instead we have Generic Republican Man and the county executive is an ex-doctor.

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

I am leaving this community!
Oct 25, 2017
Just booked the remainder of the My Hero weeb sleeve and.. I made a cut I never thought I would. I chose Jiro over Froppy. I love Jiro too much not to have her be part of it. I only have so much space Froppy-Chan

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like Penguin Random House will start printing comics and distribution. They were one of the distributors DC mentioned.

Also expecting Marvel's response to DC tomorrow. Maybe comics are saved?

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Pirates aren't looking to pay for comics. Those numbers don't automatically become sales that's a fallacy.
Yea I dont expect a lot of people who are already pirating to just switch over if its cheap enough. I think the thing that would bring pirates over would be to offer books that havent been easily available to them already, but I dont know what that would even be other than older back catalog. I think the biggest market for an app like that would be new readers and people who have so far only bought physical comics (which would defeat the purpose hes proposing).

I only sub to Marvel Unlimited and DCUniverse when theres something I want to read and its cheaper to just sub to the app than buying the issues on CMX. Which doesnt happen all that much. If MU and DCU had books released on the app day and date with the LCBS I would probably get an annual sub, but I also dont see that happening either. It would just be a mess.

BUT, I still believe there is another option that hasnt been explored yet. Dunno what that would look like, but there has to be another way.

Deleted member 64377

user requested account closure
Banned
Mar 8, 2020
Bingo. Nothing is easier than not paying. You can have a service that is cheap as dirt and has everything anyone could look for, and piracy will still have numbers.
This is why "perfection is the enemy of progress" is a saying that's endured so long.

People argue against models that would convert a decent amount of pirates because they wouldn't convert all pirates. Ignoring that even if that new model was merely good, the current one is very bad. Sales for even the top-selling comics each month are in the toilet.

Go where the readers are, rather than trying in vain to force them to go where you wish they would be.

Status
Not open for further replies.