• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Woland

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't read much manga in the last ten years but at that time my top three was something like :

- Slam Dunk
- Hunter X Hunter
- Hikaru No Go

I would encourage anyone to at least give them a chance.

Favorite anime was School Rumble, a dumb and hilarious romantic comedy.

But I need to go back to the shrine I'm building with hardcover comics still wrapped in plastic. My last building pieces are TMNT IDW Collection #1, Animal Man by Grant Morrison #1 and Uncanny X-Force Omnibus. I've made a mistake though and unwrapped TMNT. Then I read half of it and it's good and now my shrine is ruined.

R0b1n

Jun 29, 2018
So Priest's Justice League is definitely something. Extremely political in a way I didn't expect. I remember people making fun of the Red Lion being a Black Panther knockoff but this dude is something.

Like this is a very difficult run of comics to process right now, so props to Priest, because 100% that's what he was going for. Also the homage to the 80's Aquaman costume.
Political in what way? What subjects does it wrestle with? I haven't read his JL but I usually don't mind Priest's writing, but from what I heard about his JL is that it's bland and not very noteworthy. A friend of mine compared it with the recent Venditti issues

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Or Dead Dead Demon's, but I just had my fill of Inio Asano for a bit.
If you haven't read DDDDDDD, it's absolutely worth picking up.
messi would love a lot of that cast, i have zero doubt. they're super charming.
Messi would love Yachiru for sure.

source.gif

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Wonder how many books were going to get with a pandemic of some sort after all this. You know they are coming, in all different sorts of media.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017

Deleted member 64377

user requested account closure
Banned
Mar 8, 2020
Doom wears armor all the time and lives in a castle surrounded by robots that look and sound exactly like him.

Life goals tbh
He wouldn't be mad because he thinks people are going to get him sick, he'd be mad because that level of mass ignorance is upsetting for him to think about. He's mad about that at least 1/3 of the day under normal circumstances.

Porl

Nov 6, 2017
i'm using this time without comics to.... catch up with the comics i left behind

oh no

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
To your original post, its hard to do a quarantine/pandemic story that doesn't devolve into a zombie book. At least as far as the Big Two are concerned. Maybe an indie title but again, the topic isn't that showy at its base.
Oh for sure, especially in comics. If it's not zombies, it's something else like that.

I was just thinking about all the books centered on terroists after 9/11.Mainly in indie books.

Sibersk Esto

Changed the hierarchy of thread titles
Oct 25, 2017
If it's DC you could probably do a story with one of the sentient germs that show up in Green Lantern books or something while Marvel would probably have a virus spread by a shadowy cabal among the superheros and villains

SeanShards

Oct 25, 2017
To your original post, its hard to do a quarantine/pandemic story that doesn't devolve into a zombie book. At least as far as the Big Two are concerned. Maybe an indie title but again, the topic isn't that showy at its base.

Is it weird that I'm okay right now with experiencing stories that involve fantastical viruses but not like, realistic ones? LIke I'm fine with reading DCeased Unkillables and will be playing Resident Evil 3 Remake, but I felt icky playing The Division 2, especially some of the audio logs, during all this so I dropped it.

GringoSuave89

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
LA, CA
Is it weird that I'm okay right now with experiencing stories that involve fantastical viruses but not like, realistic ones? LIke I'm fine with reading DCeased Unkillables and will be playing Resident Evil 3 Remake, but I felt icky playing The Division 2, especially some of the audio logs, during all this so I dropped it.

Nah I feel ya. The Division series is a bit too realistic for my liking during these times. Otherwise the subject isn't bad. We can all use stories about fighting isolation and staying hopeful in the face of crazy shit. Those stories are all too important. Military shooter about a deadly pandemic? Not too much to mine for lol

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
NYC is basically D1.

dude looks more like fred durst than tom king
limp bizkit rockin' the set

SeanShards

Oct 25, 2017

BUSINESS IS ABOUT TO PICK UP, KING! BAH GAWD!

To Direct Market Retailers:

"First, the entire team here at DC hopes that you, your family and your employees are staying safe and healthy during this very tough and precarious time. We know that you have been waiting for DC to comment on the state-of-affairs and to address any measures we will take to help our community lighten the burden of the disruption to our business, and we've been working hard on a long-term, solution-focused plan. Here is how we will help:

"Periodicals and books with in-store dates between March 18, 2020 and June 24, 2020 will be fully returnable. We'll even provide credit for your separate return shipping of these items only.

"Additionally, because we anticipate that continued disruption to business operations will create regional volatility, DC is exploring a multi-distributor model to provide us with the flexibility needed during this crisis to get new content to our readers on an ongoing basis. In the short-term, we continue to engage in active conversations with Diamond to help us solve the distribution issues that have arisen and hope to get new product to stores that want or need it as soon as possible. We will provide additional information about how we'll make that happen in the coming days.

"Thanks for your patience with us. DC will continue to monitor the situation, continue to speak with you directly, and continue to support you through the days ahead. You are the lifeblood of this industry.

"All best,

The DC Team

May 24, 2019

BUSINESS IS ABOUT TO PICK UP, KING! BAH GAWD!

I think they're kidding themselves. Nobody's going to be open to sell your comics.
edit: Though, I guess different states in America are doing different things in regard to locking up non-essential services, so there might still be some market for physical.
Over here you could get stopped by police for even going outside to do a curbside pickup of comics.

Guessing that means digital is on for DC right now, then.

Last edited:

SeanShards

Oct 25, 2017
I think they're kidding themselves. Nobody's going to be open to sell your comics.

edit: Though, I guess different states in America are doing different things in regard to locking up non-essential services, so there might still be some market for physical.

I was thinking more, when they said "multi-distributor", that CMX would be one of said distributors.

Regardless of the right or wrong, some publisher is going to break ranks with this eventually. If it was DC....I could see that snowballing. I don't want that, but I think there's a non-zero chance.

ElNarez

Oct 28, 2017
remember when I said "comics are gonna start back up either because people made the right decision or because they made the absolute worst decision?"

yeah this is the "absolute worst decision" scenario, as of right now there's no way of keeping the direct market comics business going that doesn't put some people in danger

Deleted member 64377

user requested account closure
Banned
Mar 8, 2020
Marvel and DC should open their own stores, always across the street from one another, and have musical knife fights at lunch time.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
DC saying long term makes me think they are basically telling Diamond they will work around them if need be.

Status
Not open for further replies.