• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
i think soul society, if im remembering the arc names right, works well coming off of the first one. where the first arc builds the relationship between ichigo and rukia, as well as with ichigo's friends, arc two is like the protagonist going into hell to save someone they love. things just keep getting worse and worse, but the protagonist persists (with shonen flair). it does get generic as it breaks down into fight after progressionless fight and "hnng would you like to see my bankai." and it ultimately ends super badly in terms of character arcs and emotional momentum (the aizen twist was still cool!). the wasted relationship between rukia and ichigo is just one part of it (even if they were just to remain friends, they should have gone forward as co-protagonists!). it just never rebuilds that emotional connection, buries itself in the same shit that destroys all of the worst shonen jumps.
I mean one of the biggest issues with Bleach as a whole is that it tries to do too much with too little. To quote a famous hobbit, "like butter scraped over too much bread." Kubo created a ton of cool characters, but didn't flesh them out a ton. He created a neat power system that lead to cool fights and dope looking weapons and powers, but didn't make a lot of sense or felt cohesive went you really looked and went, "...hey wait a fucking minute." He created a cool world, but didn't really fill it with anything. Like a bunch of awesome glasses full of whipped cream or tissue paper. I mean, yeah it becomes a "generic" action series, but it falls in that genre. A shit ton of battle shonen do the same shit, just might be constructed better or in a preferred flavor. "Generic" isn't really valid as a criticism when applying the fact that it turned into an action-oriented battle shonen when it was....an action-oriented battle shonen. I mean there's a reason people complain about arc repetition in My Hero Academia. It's because it was always the exact same thing as all the other action-oriented battle shonen they watched, they just thought it was different because it's also a superhero series with good characters and a solid world and cool powers. Which it is, but it's also that other thing.

Keep in mind, I'm not like some super Bleach fanboy or anything, I'm just someone who never understood the hate Bleach got (except maybe that Thousand Year Blood War shit, but I didn't read it so I can't judge) ever since I watched it. Yeah the pacing sucks, but the characters are solid. There are a lot, honestly far too many, but there are some really strong ones in the mix as well and some good chemistry on top of that in between those. The action is dope, and I'd watch fights from Bleach. Plus the music is fucking fire.

All I'm saying is, it's a fun action series that is what it is, and knows what it is. It has some cool shit, it has some lame shit. I have my issues with it, and will probably not ever watch it again unless someone tight with me is watching it and I'm like "yo is this Bleach? Shit I'll watch it." and then there goes a Sunday.

TropicalFish

Oct 25, 2017
Kubo is a master of making multiple badass groups he does fuck all with.

uCqMPSS.gif

My faves were done so dirty.

Exception to the rule are the Quincy though I hated every single one of them. Worst antagonists of the series.

Eleriu

The Fallen - Teyvat Traveler
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The final arc of Bleach is a giant raging dumpster fire. I was reading it as it was coming out, so that was an experience to say the least.

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
Moving on.

Regarding Star, having Carol with Jessica Jones and Wanda Maximoff can't be a coincidence. She helped out the former when few others in the superhero community did while she was one of the few people who vouched for the later after the Disassembled debacle, even after her husband Vison wouldn't. Which makes her dismissing Ripley all the more fraught. Her secret empathy is one of the her best qualities.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Physical manga wins yet again because the CMX manga reader is still trash.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Yea I dont get what that dude is even talking about lol. Taylor didnt kill Logan off. He just had Laura pick up the mantle while he was away.

SeanShards

Oct 25, 2017
Yea I dont get what that dude is even talking about lol. Taylor didnt kill Logan off. He just had Laura pick up the mantle while he was away.

IKR? And even then, like, a huge part of Logan's character over the years has been being a mentor to young women. Laura, Kitty, Jubilee, Armor, Idie, there's probably a few others.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I mean one of the biggest issues with Bleach as a whole is that it tries to do too much with too little. To quote a famous hobbit, "like butter scraped over too much bread." Kubo created a ton of cool characters, but didn't flesh them out a ton. He created a neat power system that lead to cool fights and dope looking weapons and powers, but didn't make a lot of sense or felt cohesive went you really looked and went, "...hey wait a fucking minute." He created a cool world, but didn't really fill it with anything. Like a bunch of awesome glasses full of whipped cream or tissue paper. I mean, yeah it becomes a "generic" action series, but it falls in that genre. A shit ton of battle shonen do the same shit, just might be constructed better or in a preferred flavor. "Generic" isn't really valid as a criticism when applying the fact that it turned into an action-oriented battle shonen when it was....an action-oriented battle shonen. I mean there's a reason people complain about arc repetition in My Hero Academia. It's because it was always the exact same thing as all the other action-oriented battle shonen they watched, they just thought it was different because it's also a superhero series with good characters and a solid world and cool powers. Which it is, but it's also that other thing.

Keep in mind, I'm not like some super Bleach fanboy or anything, I'm just someone who never understood the hate Bleach got (except maybe that Thousand Year Blood War shit, but I didn't read it so I can't judge) ever since I watched it. Yeah the pacing sucks, but the characters are solid. There are a lot, honestly far too many, but there are some really strong ones in the mix as well and some good chemistry on top of that in between those. The action is dope, and I'd watch fights from Bleach. Plus the music is fucking fire.

All I'm saying is, it's a fun action series that is what it is, and knows what it is. It has some cool shit, it has some lame shit. I have my issues with it, and will probably not ever watch it again unless someone tight with me is watching it and I'm like "yo is this Bleach? Shit I'll watch it." and then there goes a Sunday.

I disagree that the first arc of Bleach was generic in the same way that I don't think the first arc of Naruto was generic either. Both stories escaped the formula to tell endearing and emotional origin stories about their protagonists, established their relationships with their peers with surprising empathy, and at the same time did incredible world-building that would define their series for arc after arc later. Did they still heavily depend on shonen tropes? Absolutely. But it was how they explored those tropes that made them so much more than generic -- at least for an arc.

I'd say it's a lesson most shonen could learn a lot from by reading One Piece. One Piece is the king of never escaping the shonen cycle with every arc, but still managing to create incredibly compelling character showcases and worldbuilding page after page. Incredibly rare. It's why One Piece is my favorite of the big shonens.

Canucked

Comics Council 2020 & Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I really liked bleach. I was shocked to learn people feel so strongly about it. Maybe I'll read the manga one day.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Looks like Diamond is surveying retailers to see how much of the industry is still kicking. Looks like they are trying to find out how viable it would be to start shipping again.

I want comics to continue, but I dont want retailers risking their health. Especially after hearing about what Gamestop is resorting too lol.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I really liked bleach. I was shocked to learn people feel so strongly about it. Maybe I'll read the manga one day.
Would you be willing to talk a bit about why you really liked it, Canucked? One of my best friends stuck with it to the end, too, and really enjoyed the whole thing (except the ending). I've talked with him about the whole thing really want to know how it resonated with you, too.

Canucked

Comics Council 2020 & Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Would you be willing to talk a bit about why you really liked it, Canucked? One of my best friends stuck with it to the end, too, and really enjoyed the whole thing (except the ending). I've talked with him about the whole thing really want to know how it resonated with you, too.

Not sure. The only other animes I've watched substantially are sailor moon and evangelion. Naruto was fun for a bit but got boring. Dragon Ball Z didn't click with me. Bleach just had a vibe I liked I guess. I didn't try one piece. I tried the anime and manga for MHA after talking to Messi but it didn't seem to go anywhere.

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017

Has pencils down become and anti-writer movement? Fuck off with that.

0ztjl9sa35e41.jpg

I disagree that the first arc of Bleach was generic in the same way that I don't think the first arc of Naruto was generic either. Both stories escaped the formula to tell endearing and emotional origin stories about their protagonists, established their relationships with their peers with surprising empathy, and at the same time did incredible world-building that would define their series for arc after arc later. Did they still heavily depend on shonen tropes? Absolutely. But it was how they explored those tropes that made them so much more than generic -- at least for an arc.

I'd say it's a lesson most shonen could learn a lot from by reading One Piece. One Piece is the king of never escaping the shonen cycle with every arc, but still managing to create incredibly compelling character showcases and worldbuilding page after page. Incredibly rare. It's why One Piece is my favorite of the big shonens.
It's not the first arc that gets targeted as generic, and I should have made that clear, my apologies. It's the Soul Society/Rescue Rukia.
Would I enjoy bleach
Nah.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hmm, I might ignore 20th Century Boys for now and pick up No Guns Life and Drifting Dragons instead.

Or Dead Dead Demon's, but I just had my fill of Inio Asano for a bit.

EDIT: Actually I think I asked this before but: The No Guns Life anime is a straight adaptation of the manga right?

Last edited:

R0b1n

Jun 29, 2018
Currently reading through the multiversity.
Can't believe I haven't read this before, it's Grant Morrison going nuts with DC "lore", even more so than usual

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
So Priest's Justice League is definitely something. Extremely political in a way I didn't expect. I remember people making fun of the Red Lion being a Black Panther knockoff but this dude is something.

Like this is a very difficult run of comics to process right now, so props to Priest, because 100% that's what he was going for. Also the homage to the 80's Aquaman costume.

Status
Not open for further replies.