• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
sigh, ya'll. my order from IST with Uncanny X-Force is lost in limbo between a UPS facility and the city post office. been a week without an update. post office says it hasn't received it yet.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
As long as people keep buying standard HC's then they're not going away anytime soon. :/
I think the majority of those people are the ones shopping at places like Barnes and Noble or Walden Books.

sigh, ya'll. my order from IST with Uncanny X-Force is lost in limbo between a UPS facility and the city post office. been a week without an update. post office says it hasn't received it yet.
Just give it some time. I ordered a book like 3 weeks ago and finally got it yesterday. I got a message that the post office had to request a delay, so they must just be getting hit hard. Maybe try contacting UPS also.

bluexy

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I think the majority of those people are the ones shopping at places like Barnes and Noble or Walden Books.

Just give it some time. I ordered a book like 3 weeks ago and finally got it yesterday. I got a message that the post office had to request a delay, so they must just be getting hit hard. Maybe try contacting UPS also.
yar i did a form letter thing to ups, but i can't tell if it's reliable. usps is much easier to get in contact with.

Shingi_70

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The virus' impact on the industry only works for them cause stores wont sell CG comics 😂

It's what happens when a movement like Comicsgate is based upon the bitterness of its founders (EVS and D&C).

The ironic thing is the industry collapsing on itself would only hurt what they consider traditional comics.

More Inclusive tiles featuring women, PoC, and LGBT+, and books aimed at those markets would be safe as they've already showed their strength in the graphic novel market and as well as online platforms like Webtoon.

Meanwhile Comicsgate and it's founders don't have vision to change any paradigms or make meaningful change or splashes in the medium other than lining their own pockets by fleecing their fanbases.

SeanShards

Oct 25, 2017
Essential purchase obviously

2VgJHtEy_o.jpg

5BdSRyuX_o.jpg

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
You know people hate on Joker and his over saturation right now, but he's the best thing to happen to Nightwing since Percy's post-bullet concept that never will make it to page

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017

It may still be good. I have had some packages recently arrive where tracking disappeared for a good week and worried they wouldn't show. Suddenly one morning an update and its out for delivery.

Astro Cat

Mar 29, 2019
I've pulled myself away from AC long enough to continue reading Downfall and contemplating ordering the deluxe FF7 on Amazon cause that's all that's left.

JCG

Oct 25, 2017
Hello, ComicsERA.

Thanks to the delay or cancellation of new comics, it's time to...actually do something about my digital comics backlog!

In that spirit, I've been looking back through the early volumes of the Giffen and DeMatteis Justice League International. I've read some of this run before, but not all of it. It's been pretty enjoyable so far, but I had forgotten just how quickly the book becomes more of a sitcom than the typical JL run from both before and after this era. I believe they've said the original intent wasn't to aim for comedy as an approach, at least not on purpose, yet it still ends up squarely in that territory, even though they go on more or less serious adventures featuring death and destruction. While some of the jokes are either dated or politically incorrect, naturally enough, I think it still provides a good lighthearted tone for the book.

The cast does have a significant amount of chemistry, which is nice considering all the rotations in this particular roster. Captain Marvel seemed like a promising inclusion and ultimately doesn't stay around. Dr. Light, the second one, is on the cover but technically isn't even a real member either. At least Dr. Fate does remain for an arc or so, though I am not sure if this portrayal of the mystical side of DC was seen as internally consistent at the time. I'd add that the art by Kevin Maguire holds up pretty well, yet it's surprising to notice how he doesn't draw nearly as much of this run as I had thought.

This recent re-read also make me recall that the Millennium crossover was a thing...a very, very strange thing. And yes, Maxwell Lord was always an asshole even before they made him go full villain in subsequent decades. They probably didn't need to go that far, arguably, but the guy wasn't exactly a class act. He's a total con man.

On an unrelated note, I am thinking about checking out Godland by Joe Casey and Tom Scioli next. I admit that my purchase was mostly based on the Kirby-style art, which is always a valid reason to pick up a comic book even if you might not necessarily like the rest of the contents, but I hope the book itself is decent.

PS: I read the earlier posts on Code Geass and...man, I guess BKatastrophe is my official anime enemy now.

You can't pay me enough to rewatch Bleach. No, not even in my currently unemployed state. Yet I've seen CG a few times and, flaws and all, I still like it a lot more.

tim1138

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how hard it'd be to turn my avatar into an Animal Crossing design? 🤔

incredibly easy it turns out

Last edited:

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
DQQP6A1.jpg

#4 issues in.

This is pretty dope and I like how space is treated like it's, well, a sea. It reminds me a lot of Low, like how in that story they're all underwater but it often feels like they're actually in space where here they're in space but it's all drawn like it's a sea. Definitely scratches the same itch.

JCG

Oct 25, 2017
DQQP6A1.jpg

#4 issues in.

This is pretty dope and I like how space is treated like it's, well, a sea. It reminds me a lot of Low, like how in that story they're all underwater but it often feels like they're actually in space where here they're in space but it's all drawn like it's a sea. Definitely scratches the same itch.

That's a very nice cover and, as much as the "space = sea" comparison has probably been done to death over the years, it's a fitting one to see done well.

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017

Hello!
👋

On an unrelated note, I am thinking about checking out Godland by Joe Casey and Tom Scioli next. I admit that my purchase was mostly based on the Kirby-style art, which is always a valid reason to pick up a comic book even if you might not necessarily like the rest of the contents, but I hope the book itself is decent.

Ooh, this looks interesting. Have to look it up.

bluexy

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Hello, ComicsERA.

Thanks to the delay or cancellation of new comics, it's time to...actually do something about my digital comics backlog!

In that spirit, I've been looking back through the early volumes of the Giffen and DeMatteis Justice League International. I've read some of this run before, but not all of it. It's been pretty enjoyable so far, but I had forgotten just how quickly the book becomes more of a sitcom than the typical JL run from both before and after this era. I believe they've said the original intent wasn't to aim for comedy as an approach, at least not on purpose, yet it still ends up squarely in that territory, even though they go on more or less serious adventures featuring death and destruction. While some of the jokes are either dated or politically incorrect, naturally enough, I think it still provides a good lighthearted tone for the book.

The cast does have a significant amount of chemistry, which is nice considering all the rotations in this particular roster. Captain Marvel seemed like a promising inclusion and ultimately doesn't stay around. Dr. Light, the second one, is on the cover but technically isn't even a real member either. At least Dr. Fate does remain for an arc or so, though I am not sure if this portrayal of the mystical side of DC was seen as internally consistent at the time. I'd add that the art by Kevin Maguire holds up pretty well, yet it's surprising to notice how he doesn't draw nearly as much of this run as I had thought.

This recent re-read also make me recall that the Millennium crossover was a thing...a very, very strange thing. And yes, Maxwell Lord was always an asshole even before they made him go full villain in subsequent decades. They probably didn't need to go that far, arguably, but the guy wasn't exactly a class act. He's a total con man.

PS: I read the earlier posts on Code Geass and...man, I guess BKatastrophe is my official anime enemy now.

You can't pay me enough to rewatch Bleach. No, not even in my currently unemployed state. Yet I've seen CG a few times and, flaws and all, I still like it a lot more.
great writeup! what made you dive into JLI first and what's next in your backlog?

also, there are no allies in anime. just look at how aimless stole everyone's waifus.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
That's a very nice cover and, as much as the "space = sea" comparison has probably been done to death over the years, it's a fitting one to see done well.
This one takes a bit of a different take on that. Usually (at least from what I've seen) it's space being portrayed as something you sail on but in this it's something you swim in. Lots of whales and shark type animals.

Astro Cat

Mar 29, 2019
I'm watching Dark Phoenix for the first time and holy shit it's awful. It hurts they wasted Grant Morrison costumes on this mess.

JCG

Oct 25, 2017
This one takes a bit of a different take on that. Usually (at least from what I've seen) it's space being portrayed as something you sail on but in this it's something you swim in. Lots of whales and shark type animals.

Oh, interesting. That sounds like a neat way to give more variety to a space setting than a more usual approach.

great writeup! what made you dive into JLI first and what's next in your backlog?

also, there are no allies in anime. just look at how aimless stole everyone's waifus.

I suppose both the Justice League in general and DeMatteis in particular have been on my mind lately, especially given that he scripted the Superman Red Son movie with mixed results. He's a good writer though, so I felt like trying to go back and see if I can complete (or make progress towards completing) his JLI work.

Next might well be Godland, apparently.

I bought that during one of those giant Image sales on CMX where they offered extra discounts with a code. Not as many of those these days.

Eleriu

The Fallen - Teyvat Traveler
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm watching Dark Phoenix for the first time and holy shit it's awful. It hurts they wasted Grant Morrison costumes on this mess.
Well least now they can do the dark phoenix story-line again for a third time in the MCU. I luckily avoided having to sit through this movie. My mom is a fan of the X-Men movies and she has liked them all I believe except for Logan she didn't enjoy that. So yes she liked that terrible origins Wolverine movie that I had the pleasure of helping it make $373 million at the box office.

Status
Not open for further replies.