• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tyrant Rave

Has A Pretty Cool Jacket
Oct 25, 2017
I love One Piece. I'm still not caught up, though... but I should just do that now that I can't go anywhere. I was caught up for years, but I kinda just lost interest during part of Dressrosa and fell behind. Since then, I've been 50-100 chapters behind. I really love where I'm at now, but I've just been slow.

Have you ever read Hunter x Hunter. It's really up there for me, but I also really adore Yu Yu Hakusho.

Look at this! Look at how good aimless is! Y'all could learn a thing or two.
Dressrosa was a bit slow, but I agree that it read better all at once. Ever since it's been gold. I love Wano so far.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
people, divinity original sin 2 is amazing

i'd put it off for all this time
I tried the first one, but I'm about 90% sure at this point that CRPGs just aren't my jam. I've also tried Pillars of Eternity and Torment: Tides of Numenera to no avail.

This quarantine needs to end. I read comics today.
How much are tarantulas selling for in that game?
I caught another 20 some-odd tarantulas tonight and paid off my 550,000 bell loan completely. 😂

I learned that you can actually catch tarantulas head-on without them charging at you if you hold the net at the ready and inch forward very slowly, a tiny bit at a time. I am now a world-class tarantula-wrangler.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
Dressrosa was a bit slow, but I agree that it read better all at once. Ever since it's been gold. I love Wano so far.
It totally picked up after I was done with Dressrosa. It's so awesome to see One Piece finally return to the highs of pre-time skip. Never seen such a long ongoing comic retain such quality. I can't believe Oda can still introduce new characters to a series this late in the game that we care about. Such a talented guy.

May 24, 2019
ET7BqMWXYAE8QWj

Astro Cat

Mar 29, 2019
I just wanted to say Hellions was very, very good. Also I've been trapped by Animal Crossing. Bought Switch Online because of it. Switch code Sw-5382-4872-7218 if you need cherries.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Mitch is gonna end up drawing the entire run in the next week since he can't do anything but work.

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

I am leaving this community!
Oct 25, 2017
The fact that they are still working leads me to believe comics aren't stopping from DC and Marvel. I guess we will know next week.

Eleriu

The Fallen - Teyvat Traveler
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
That is a good cat in that video. And yeah Mitch is probably going to draw the entire thing in the next week.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
Met Mitch and Tom very briefly once. Lovely people. Hearing Mitch talk at length is nice, because he seems like a radical, sweet guy.

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

Oct 25, 2017
Mitch is a good guy, that's a nice video. It's interesting to know that he clearly has no idea what's happening with distribution. I'd have thought he might know something.

My money is on digital still happening.

ElNarez

Oct 28, 2017
It doesn't seem like the big two are standing creatives down yet. Here's Mitch currently working on Strange Adventures #4.

I don't think creatives are gonna be made to stand down, because, for the most part, the books are gonna come out anyway, and if they don't, AT&T and Disney can more than afford to pay for comic books that are never gonna come out, it's a long-standing tradition. I still think that, as a way to make good with direct market retailers, releases are gonna slow way down, as a way to keep big releases for after this is over in order to drive business back up.

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
I.... ugh. How can a book I dropped continue to underwhelm me?
He still has his light powers, but he also now has shadow powers.
Hellions is just mutant suicide squad.

And I don't hate it for that.
I was expecting Thunderbolts, so I'm not too far off.
c6e08980e4b931363d75ecf1c8be6a42.jpg

"You're ALL Bill Paxton to me."

Hahaha, Ravencroft is growing on me.
What even is Ravencroft?
What's boring is another internet guy who feels the need to announce to everybody that they don't like the thing other people like, when nobody asked or cares.
What about internet girls?
Look at this! Look at how good aimless is! Y'all could learn a thing or two.
I mean I do that but whatevs
Yeah, Dressrosa I took a break and read it all at once. Reads much better.

Hunter x Hunter I enjoyed for a bit. Lost interest during that arc in the tower. All those wikipedia powerpoint presentations about powers. Felt like it was some D&D manual. And Hisoka was a little too creepy/disgusting for me. Then dropped it completely somewhere in the Chimera arc.

Yu Yu Hakusho I had the same problem as with MHA. Just tournament arc after tournament/exam arc.
I don't think we watched/read the same YYH

Buttzerker

Powerhouse Protector / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He still has his light powers, but he also now has shadow powers.

I was expecting Thunderbolts, so I'm not too far off.

What even is Ravencroft?

What about internet girls?

I mean I do that but whatevs

I don't think we watched/read the same YYH

It's Arkham Asylum for Marvel, except with even more karmic horrors beneath because of Kingpin's past crimes.

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
Mitch is a good guy, that's a nice video. It's interesting to know that he clearly has no idea what's happening with distribution. I'd have thought he might know something.

My money is on digital still happening.
Yeah, considering CBC's recent post:

It makes me think they'll just go ahead with digital in the meantime and heavily discount the soon-to-be-behind floppies as a form of continued relief for shops.

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

Oct 25, 2017
4rrr44 4rrr4rr4444t

It makes me think they'll just go ahead with digital in the meantime and heavily discount the soon-to-be-behind floppies as a form of continued relief for shops.

Stores are not gonna like that one bit

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
4rrr44 4rrr4rr4444t

DCBS sent out an email today saying that they were told publishers are still assessing their ability to print comics.

Last edited:

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Stores are not gonna like that one bit
i dont understand this perspective. why would the stores care? they're all closed down. they can't do anything except wait until afterward and then hope there's still demand for comics. there's no better way to maintain demand for comics than to keep putting them out and then do something cool once physical issues become available again through diamond. trying to shut down digitial, creating a scene where no one's getting comics for 2-4 months is a great way to actually kill the direct market.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Just had the worst migraine ive ever had. Still feeling it, but its not as bad as it was a few minutes ago.

Also cant breathe out of my nose, so I wont be sleeping tonight lol.

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

Oct 25, 2017
i dont understand this perspective. why would the stores care? they're all closed down. they can't do anything except wait until afterward and then hope there's still demand for comics. there's no better way to maintain demand for comics than to keep putting them out and then do something cool once physical issues become available again through diamond. trying to shut down digitial, creating a scene where no one's getting comics for 2-4 months is a great way to actually kill the direct market.

Stores were able to do curbside or shipping out books. Now they have nothing but inventory. I'm sure they will be delighted to lose customers to Comixology or just flat lose customers who never come back as they won't be able to get the 4 batman comics they didn't print.

If nothing else this week has shown that Marvel and DC have no interest in doing something cool for comic stores or trying to help them. At some point DC is going to issue a statement to retailers right? They'll get right on it.

Listen to John Hendrick on off panel this week discussing what his store has been told. It's embarrassing.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Because people who dont normally buy digital comics will probably do so if they are available, and might not end up buying the actual physical book. Unless your a hardcore collector, or speculator, there wont really be any reason to go back to the store after already buying the book once, unless there is a massive discount, or its free with the digtial purchase like Higgins wants.

Just my theory anyway.

May 24, 2019

It's either gonna be readers having a gap in issues, having to wait to catch up, or buying a pile of issues at once to get current. None of those are prospects that owners can be sure their customers will put up with.
Most would probably be happiest for everything to pick up where it left off when they're able to open.

edit: Imagine getting these months of held issues all at once when you open the store back up and trying to figure out pull lists. That's a nightmare to deal with.

Last edited:

bluexy

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Stores were able to do curbside or shipping out books. Now they have nothing but inventory. I'm sure they will be delighted to lose customers to Comixology or just flat lose customers who never come back as they won't be able to get the 4 batman comics they didn't print.
this is happening either way. it's a nightmare scenario for comic stores. but keeping 2020 comic momentum is still better for them than everyone not having any access to comics period for four months. nevermind stopping comics would also harm the entire creative side of the industry in major ways. we'd lose a ton of great people to other industries forever.

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

Oct 25, 2017
this is happening either way. it's a nightmare scenario for comic stores. but keeping 2020 comic momentum is still better for them than everyone not having any access to comics period for four months. nevermind stopping comics would also harm the entire creative side of the industry in major ways. we'd lose a ton of great people to other industries forever.

So stores just got cut out of it to keep the momentum going? Diamond literally cut them out. Big Bang were literally doing foc for titles meant to ship next month this week. Diamond are still taking order sheets for books they have no idea they can deliver. Its insulting.

I'm sure DC is gonna put out a statement eventually right?

bluexy

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
So stores just got cut out of it to keep the momentum going? Diamond literally cut them out. Big Bang were literally doing foc for titles meant to ship next month this week. Diamond are still taking order sheets for books they have no idea they can deliver. Its insulting.

I'm sure DC is gonna put out a statement eventually right?
i dont see how it's insulting that the decision that's best for them get made. it's not just an ambiguous "COMIC MOMENTUM." it's sales when comic stores reopen. if comics stop, they'll massively drop in sales when they return, period. if they keep going, it's still the best of two shitty decisions. the idea that industry should just fuck itself for the sake of fucking itself so everyone industry-wide comes out worse in the end makes absolutely no sense.

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

Oct 25, 2017
It's either gonna be readers having a gap in issues, having to wait to catch up, or buying a pile of issues at once to get current. None of those are prospects that owners can be sure their customers will put up with.
Most would probably be happiest for everything to pick up where it left off when they're able to open.

edit: Imagine getting these months of held issues all at once when you open the store back up and trying to figure out pull lists. That's a nightmare to deal with.

Those people won't come back for those issues. Stores already have a horrible time trying to get people to pick up their held books or a book that's been on the shelf for a week. Now imagine it's Batman that's been on Comixology for 4 months.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Lets not forget, these are the same retailers who made Amazon stop offering some of the best deals ever seen.

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
So CMX is also having a sale called DC Teamwork. I bought:

Geoff Johns' Teen Titans Vol. 1-3
New 52 Justice League Vol 6
Darkseid War Essential Edition
Darkseid War one-shots collection
Justice League by Christopher Priest Deluxe Edition
Teen Titans by Adam Glass Vol 1
Did Rat Queens change their artists yet again?
Ye

Last edited:

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
I don't believe that anyone can "make" Amazon do anything. Even Hachette has caved to Amazon's demands.
I think it was Marvel who asked Amazon to stop, after getting all the negative backlash from the retailers. Make probably isnt the right word, sure, but they definitely appealed to Amazon in one way or another to get it to stop lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.