• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
This is why so many fucking bills get killed. Someone always tries to sneak in something that has nothing to do with the main purpose of the bill.

"Okay, this bill provides guaranteed parental leave for new parents..... AND FREE HAMBURGERS ON FRIDAYS!!! YAY!!!"

You'd think they could at least sneak in a provision to ensure DC releases a Metal Omni!

Or maybe MHA DLX HC's for the thread-bearer.

Porl

Nov 6, 2017
I'm so happy i'm finally gonna get a town hall. It was super depressing going into the community center tent at 2 am and seeing Nook all alone checking his phone with only the minigolf for company. He deserves better.

R0b1n

Jun 29, 2018
Wow Immortal Hulk really ramped up the body horror this week, all the splashes and one are amazing.
Agger getting his comeuppance and more was so so satisfying, and Xemnu got away too light .
Finally, HOLY FUCK THE LAST PAGE

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
and if yall haven't seen this one yet it's quite possibly the most dan thing to ever have dan'd. the switch to the surprise face is just :muah:

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
So anyways, having finished my reread of Batman & Robin Eternal, I wanted to talk about it a little bit. It's definitely still a fun book, if not more fun than the first time I read it. A very focused plot, good dialogue, well-balanced ensemble, a lot of action, a lot of strong chemistry between characters, and nothing ever feels irrelevant, even if a bit long in the tooth or digressional at times. As a man who enjoys Batman's family more than solo stories about him, this was totally my jam. I got my issues with the story, though. Tynion and Snyder do a great job essentially being the showrunners of the book with the story, but everyone else on the planet seems to script the issues; Genevieve Valentine does a huge bulk, along with Ed Brisson, Tim Seeley, and Steve Orlando for the rest (along with a few others that I'm sure I missed). The art's usually solid, but not outstanding save for a few issues here and there.

So, here's my biggest problem: for series all about Robins, it's not really about any of the Robins...except for one: Dick. It's very much a Grayson story, to the point of it pretty much being essential to Grayson. It explains what happens to Poppy and the purpose of Somnus and how there's a contingency plan for Dick to become Nightwing again. It also heavily relies on Spyral as the catalyst for Mother's plan and the advancement of the plot, as well as Poppy as an antagonist. Granted, I understand Dick being so central, being as he's the first Robin. The premise of the book being that Mother is engineering child soldiers around the world and Bruce began the case originally with Dick. The questions brought up of a conspiracy running so deep as to whether or not Bruce had been grooming the Robins into his own soldiers. The classic "oh our mentor kept shit a secret and this is bad." So the thing is, you'd think that Tim and Jason and Damian would get a lot of focus? Well Tim and Jason are along for the ride, and they're great. They're integral to the plot, they play their parts and serve their roles and even spend most of their time on their own adventure. Honestly though? They aren't the focus of the book. As much of an absolute gemstone Jason Todd is in this book, the bastard doesn't matter. The story would need to be rewritten a bit, but the St Dumas storyline could be removed. You don't need it. The revelation about Icthys could easily just be opening some file and finding some brainwashing pods at the Nursery. St Dumas exists to bring Azrael back into the Bat mythos and that's about it. The idea that there's a religion that revolves around this brand new miracle technology and the advancement of technology and approaching the Singularity isn't really explored or elaborated and comes off as existential nonsense meant to buy time.

This is a Harper, Cass, and Dick book, and two of those aren't Robins and yet this is their book. That's never more evident than when the teams split up, Tim and Jason go to Santa Prisca to deal with St Dumas and Dick, Cass, and Harper go to Prague to follow up on Batman's old file. In fact, We Are Robin was going on at this time and Duke and the gang even show up and they disappear after that initial "Protect Wayne" mission near the beginning of the book and Duke (and only Duke) shows back up at the end of the book for the final hoorah. Damian also doesn't show up until the very end as a literal slap in the face to everyone to get their shit together. It's a massive bummer, because as fun and enjoyable as this book is, I wanted a Robin book. Tim and Jason don't have much of a focus as to where they play in the potential idea of where they may fall in Bruce's sculpted soldier process. Yet they're on the list of potential children. The list consists of Dick Grayson (the first Robin, when Bruce met Mother and began this whole thing), Harper Row (the "perfect Robin" that Mother puts forth and offers Bruce), Cassandra Cain (Mother's perfect soldier as offered by Orphan, crafted by the old ways), Jason Todd, and Tim Drake. The problem is that Jason and Tim don't get any focus as to how Mother may have played into their roles, or as to how Bruce's interactions with Mother may have affected his relationships with them. Instead the flashback arc one long case during his time with Dick. Damian is obviously not on the list, but that would've been interesting to see how he really factored in beyond a couple pages of "y'all need to get your shit together." When we get the idea that Mother designed a Robin, we have the original bait that it was Tim, but it turns out the phone call from "mother" was actually his actual mom. The Robin that Mother designed was Harper, but she never became a Robin so then Mother never technically designed a Robin. A fine twist to be sure, but good god does it yank on my chains for a long time.

Overall, I enjoyed B&R Eternal, but my issue is both a nitpick and something I feel is legitimate. If the focus is going to be on the Robins, then make it the Robins. Not just one Robin and then two other characters, with two Robins as supporting characters on a sidequest for a plot device that could be explained in a few panels.
hmm this sounds a whole lot like Batman Eternal. thanks for the writeup BK.

Sad news going around comics lately...

nooo. :(

bluexy

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Good thread about Marvel/DC's recoloring issues on Twitter.

Sagroth

Oct 28, 2017
Immortal Hulk was outstanding today, and Hellions is off to a damn good start. Glad Wells is keeping in line with continuity when it comes to my boy Wild Child, even if he doesn't have much of a character at the moment.

ElNarez

Oct 28, 2017
god fuck you comixology adjusting the prices of books and making a $3.99 floppy cost €4.49 what a fucking scam the digital future fucking SUCKS and I am WHOLLY AGAINST IT

Sou Da

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i can only guess they missed out on his glory years.

the joy that was breyfogle Tim drake will always have a place in my heart
See I want to believe that but then they eat up Jason who didn't have a single good story until the fucking animated movie. I honestly have to assume that it's because Tim is slightly harder to write for.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
CMX is probably just getting hit super hard by the influx of people

This would be the perfect time to do some crazy deals!

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Comixology dropped out right in the middle of Immortal Hulk, what a shame. Because that has to be the issue with the highest "YO WHAT" to page ratio so far. The fucking Hulk crawling out of his throat, Dario getting eaten, Worldbreaker coming out, the LEADER, goddamn.

Great conclusion to the arc. And the art, man... I'm still in awe of how well Ewing utilizes guest artists, he's an absolute master at it.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Havent read it yet, but man I kinda wish each issue of Wolverine was double sized with two separate stories like the first issue. It would kill my wallet lol, but I really want to see what that Buffy chick is up to!

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017

Sad news going around comics lately...

God damn
See I want to believe that but then they eat up Jason who didn't have a single good story until the fucking animated movie. I honestly have to assume that it's because Tim is slightly harder to write for.
James Tynion said he really loves Tim, and I think his Detective Comics and Batman & Robin Eternal (where he did the story) show.
I think it's interesting because Tim was the Batman The Animated Series' Robin, but in that series he was fused with Jason Todd, so that Robin was an amalgam.

I think you have a point of him being harder to write for. Like, Tim's easily my second favorite out of the Robin's and definitely up there as one of my favorite DC characters, but lately I've been drawn more towards Jason because I want to see people do more with him. Batman & Robin Eternal had a very bright and comedic Jason with some "brotherly love" moments which is unexpected and yet it worked and I really liked that. Anyways I think it's mostly because Tim is harder to write for. Look at his 80th anniversary stories. He's the Robin that "doesn't need to be there."

If we're talking about younger readers, they don't know anything about Tim's solo stuff. Tim isn't a a tragic, edgy Robin. He isn't as iconic as Dick. He isn't the son of Batman. I love that because it sets him a part, and it's part of the reason why I don't like Harper Row because it feels like they were like "well we really liked Tim Drake, but specifically his Animated Series origins, so make her a tech prodigy from the hood who's better than Tim who finds out Batman. Kill her mom, give her a deadbeat dad and a brother to take care of and you're good. Now she's got edge AND she's a cool prodigy with potential."

A bigger question is: why do so many writers not like the Bat family in general?

Hellers

Oct 27, 2017
I'm really getting into Legion of Super Heroes. The art was just lovely even though I'm still occasionally not a fan of some of the faces. Brainy's personality transplant in this version works so well. Who'd have thought him not being a dick would be such a revelation. :)

Random splash page
ZTdaPjT.jpg

Also my new 12.9 inch iPad Pro should be arriving in a day or so. I currently have a 11inch 2018 model. SUPER LARGE-O-VISION!

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
I'm really getting into Legion of Super Heroes. The art was just lovely even though I'm still occasionally not a fan of some of the faces. Brainy's personality transplant in this version works so well. Who'd have thought him not being a dick would be such a revelation. :)

Random splash page
ZTdaPjT.jpg

Also my new 12.9 inch iPad Pro should be arriving in a day or so. I currently have a 11inch 2018 model. SUPER LARGE-O-VISION!
That art does look good. Ive just been pretty disappointed by the story so far. I thought last issue would fix some of that, but it didnt really end up doing all that much. It still feels like a story you would tell in the middle of a run, rather than the opening arc of a book that hasnt seen print in years lol.

Im glad you are enjoying it though. Maybe I will go ahead and pick this one up and see.

Hellers

Oct 27, 2017
That art does look good. Ive just been pretty disappointed by the story so far. I thought last issue would fix some of that, but it didnt really end up doing all that much. It still feels like a story you would tell in the middle of a run, rather than the opening arc of a book that hasnt seen print in years lol.

Im glad you are enjoying it though. Maybe I will go ahead and pick this one up and see.

It's slow going certainly but they're bringing in little snippets of what might be going on (Even moreso this issue).

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
The New Mutants ability to say "Krakoa's cool, but my clique's cooler" will never not be hilarious.

bluexy

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
i may have splurged on an omnibi purchase y'all.

on 5 omnibi.

by a mr. brubaker.

about one captain america.

GringoSuave89

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
LA, CA
God damn

James Tynion said he really loves Tim, and I think his Detective Comics and Batman & Robin Eternal (where he did the story) show.
I think it's interesting because Tim was the Batman The Animated Series' Robin, but in that series he was fused with Jason Todd, so that Robin was an amalgam.

I think you have a point of him being harder to write for. Like, Tim's easily my second favorite out of the Robin's and definitely up there as one of my favorite DC characters, but lately I've been drawn more towards Jason because I want to see people do more with him. Batman & Robin Eternal had a very bright and comedic Jason with some "brotherly love" moments which is unexpected and yet it worked and I really liked that. Anyways I think it's mostly because Tim is harder to write for. Look at his 80th anniversary stories. He's the Robin that "doesn't need to be there."

If we're talking about younger readers, they don't know anything about Tim's solo stuff. Tim isn't a a tragic, edgy Robin. He isn't as iconic as Dick. He isn't the son of Batman. I love that because it sets him a part, and it's part of the reason why I don't like Harper Row because it feels like they were like "well we really liked Tim Drake, but specifically his Animated Series origins, so make her a tech prodigy from the hood who's better than Tim who finds out Batman. Kill her mom, give her a deadbeat dad and a brother to take care of and you're good. Now she's got edge AND she's a cool prodigy with potential."

A bigger question is: why do so many writers not like the Bat family in general?

Said it better than I could. Though I like the IDEA of Harper, but the execution has been meh.

I also think Bendis needs to quit hogging Tim and changing every little thing about him. More writers help flesh out characters. Also why I'm jazzed when any writer other than Lobdell gets a chance to play with Jason.

Scarlet Spider

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
Wow Immortal Hulk really ramped up the body horror this week, all the splashes and one are amazing.
Agger getting his comeuppance and more was so so satisfying, and Xemnu got away too light .
Finally, HOLY FUCK THE LAST PAGE
Comixology dropped out right in the middle of Immortal Hulk, what a shame. Because that has to be the issue with the highest "YO WHAT" to page ratio so far. The fucking Hulk crawling out of his throat, Dario getting eaten, Worldbreaker coming out, the LEADER, goddamn.

Great conclusion to the arc. And the art, man... I'm still in awe of how well Ewing utilizes guest artists, he's an absolute master at it.
Fucking amazing issue. I have a theory about what is going on in this issue.
Leader is in Rick. Brian is in Scar. Note how pissed Scar is at Devil. Note when Bruce talks about killing his dad his eyes/eye area turns grey. Fixit knows Scar is Brian which is why he looks pissed at Scar. When Scar shows up originally, he's larger and looks like a dad walking his kid (Savage). Brian appears in the sky. Brian is referenced a couple of times in the issue.

Remember when Bruce returned from Heroes Reborn? Leader and Brian were tormenting him while "in Hell". Leader ascended during Jenkin's run and ran into TOBA and ended up serving him. He's the one who controls the Green Door wiping memories of gamma beings given his gamma power. He allows others to return from Hell on behalf of TOBA, hence Brian's return.

Eventually, Bruce is going to have a hell of a mental fight and may have to sacrifice an alter (Fixit is the prime candidate)

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Haven't read Hulk yet but lol @ it "ramped up the body horror this week"...how much more ramped up can this book get?!

Status
Not open for further replies.