• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
Messi

Messi

I am leaving this community!
Oct 25, 2017
Comic stores order comics ahead of time. That's what solicitations are for.

The Big Two aren't going to fuck over comic stores that paid for April books back in January. And if they do, that's a big warning sign for the DM, akin to some of those first-run movies being moved to digital.

So what happens now with books they bought that diamond now won't deliver and they won't be open to sell? This is not a normal situation

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
Rewatching Clone Wars so I can watch the final season, and I'm watching the episodes in the supposed "official" order, and there's a timeskip that bugs me because Ahsoka gets her second lightsaber and it's not acknowledged. So I must be misremembering or something.

It's gonna bug me now.

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
So what happens now with books they bought that diamond now won't deliver and they won't be open to sell? This is not a normal situation
Honestly, no clue whatsoever. I would assume Diamond's decision was made with at least some discussion with publishers. They'll probably deliver whenever restrictions lift and other shipments will be delayed likewise. April books move to June, May to July, etc.

I'd expect DC might use the gap to shore up the 5G stuff.

What's worrying is not just the stores. With a delay, pubs might not need issues, so non-exclusives might see gaps in pay.

Again, mostly speculation there.

Eleriu

The Fallen - Teyvat Traveler
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
My Batman Morrison omni and Sunstone books are going to be here tomorrow. Time to get the hazmat suit to handle the package and throw it in the oven to kill off anything.

I won't actually do that because it could cause damage not only to our oven, but to the books as well.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I finished Rat Queens! It's a charming fantasy series for adults about a bunch of badass women whose questing party gets caught up in shenanigans. They also get shitfaced all the time. The selling point of Rat Queens is and always will be the core party members, which the books spend so much time developing -- often at the overall story's expense. They're a bit tropey, but they deeply care about each other and that tends to assuage any issues arising from them often being flawed and occasionally awful. It helps that the dialogue is very funny. It's hard not to fall in love with them, too.

Some folk may not know, but the original artist for Rat Queens was arrested for domestic violence around issues 7 or 8 and was removed from the book. The result is that the Vol. 1 and Vol. 2 deluxe books feel incredibly different. It sucks to say so, but book one is far better. The story is much more cogent, the character development much more purposeful. The story in book two is all over the place, but there are still strong moments. The final issues of the book particularly seemed to come together both in tone and character development, so I'd say Rat Queens has a promising future (tbf, I haven't read any of the 2019-2020 new issues).

What I want more of is direction and world-building. Through two books there are a dozen great characters to tell a story with and no meaningful setting or goals behind them. The city of Palisade isn't enough, especially when none of the Queens really care that much about it. Now that all of the queens' backstories have been well-combed over, hopefully what comes next builds on that foundation.

I said I was going to read Wicked+Divine next, but I'm still waiting on a book to arrive from IST. So back to the backlog RNG for now! It'll be DC One Million! hype.

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
Beside Silver Surfer Black, I also ended up getting Thanos and Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 1 from the Donny Cates sale. The Thanos Wins storyline is soooo damn good.

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
I finished Rat Queens! It's a charming fantasy series for adults about a bunch of badass women whose questing party gets caught up in shenanigans. They also get shitfaced all the time. The selling point of Rat Queens is and always will be the core party members, which the books spend so much time developing -- often at the overall story's expense. They're a bit tropey, but they deeply care about each other and that tends to assuage any issues arising from them often being flawed and occasionally awful. It helps that the dialogue is very funny. It's hard not to fall in love with them, too.

Some folk may not know, but the original artist for Rat Queens was arrested for domestic violence around issues 7 or 8 and was removed from the book. The result is that the Vol. 1 and Vol. 2 deluxe books feel incredibly different. It sucks to say so, but book one is far better. The story is much more cogent, the character development much more purposeful. The story in book two is all over the place, but there are still strong moments. The final issues of the book particularly seemed to come together both in tone and character development, so I'd say Rat Queens has a promising future (tbf, I haven't read any of the 2019-2020 new issues).

What I want more of is direction and world-building. Through two books there are a dozen great characters to tell a story with and no meaningful setting or goals behind them. The city of Palisade isn't enough, especially when none of the Queens really care that much about it. Now that all of the queens' backstories have been well-combed over, hopefully what comes next builds on that foundation.

I said I was going to read Wicked+Divine next, but I'm still waiting on a book to arrive from IST. So back to the backlog RNG for now! It'll be DC One Million! hype.
Rat Queens is a hard franchise to love

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
2253ec5bce138170fb1b51db4689b8ca.png

6d637b7d50bc5214e2390bab0ce13301.png

I like this because it's Bruce not being a cold hearted asshole, Damian actually having relatable teen issues, and a father son relationship that seems like something "normal." You know, like "how do I live up to your expectations dad?" Also Bruce defining how his kids succeeded his expectations is nice.

R0b1n

Jun 29, 2018
I kinda got obsessed with this "pruning based on what sells" idea so here's the thought experiment I ran: I looked at the sales data of every comic that released on 02/12 this year, per Comichron, and looked at the top 5 books for both DC and Marvel. The date is completely arbitrary, I just wanted to see what the line would look like on a random week with only the five most popular books that weren't specials, events or minis for sale; I picked 5 because that makes for a 20 bucks trip to the comics store, which is basically equivalent to a night at the movies. Anyway here goes:

DC:
-Green Lantern Season 2
-Superman
-Flash
-Wonder Woman
-Catwoman

Marvel:
-X-Men
-Amazing Spider-Man
-Immortal Hulk
-Venom
-Thor
Tfw my favourite books all sell badly, and will never make any such cut

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

Oct 25, 2017
Rat Queens is a hard franchise to love

I generally find it hard to shake the whole thing where the co creator is a rapist and deadbeat dad. Plus the other creator tried to shaft Tess Fowler to bring back his rapist buddy. Not happy to accept that he is a rapist piece of shit he recently returned to image with a series clearly designed to paint himself as a victim in this whole thing.

Sad because I miss Betty.

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
I generally find it hard to shake the whole thing where the co creator is a rapist and deadbeat dad. Plus the other creator tried to shaft Tess Fowler to bring back his rapist buddy. Not happy to accept that he is a rapist piece of shit he recently returned to image with a series clearly designed to paint himself as a victim in this whole thing.

Sad because I miss Betty.
Yeah... Although I'll never be sad about Fowler leaving because that part if the book is baaad. Also Betty is still there.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Mark Waid's Flash is great but the art is kinda stuck in that 90s rut of big burly bros and angry scowls. It definitely would have benefited from a cleaner and more vibrant style like what Impulse had.

Canucked

Comics Council 2020 & Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I got my Sunstone book out to give it another shot. Once I am done OZT I will read it.

Eleriu

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Just got this email from IST regarding the Diamond situation and how it affects them:
Hello,

All of us at InStockTrades are working hard to continue to provide excellent service during this trying time.

We are told that publishers are assessing their ability to print and release the books scheduled for the month of April. Diamond currently has 4/1 releases in their warehouse, and although they do not plan to distribute those titles for next week, they are planned to be fulfilled at a later date. Most titles set for 4/8 release have also been printed and are in a holding pattern until more comprehensive measures can be made.

While Diamond is not currently planning to ship new product to retailers, they are continuing to ship reorders for older product. InStockTrades will continue to place reorders with Diamond to replenish our stock. Diamond has stated that these reorders are unlikely to be filled on the same day that they are placed. This will cause some delays in our receipt of the reorders which may in turn cause delays in some of our shipments to you.

This is a very fluid time, where decisions are made and changed within hours. As information is provided by Diamond and the publishers, we will do our best to apprise customers of all pertinent information regarding their shipments and what they can expect.

Sincerely,
The InStockTrades Team

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Why do Animal Crossing fans care so much about other people cheating in their single-player game?

Worse than Dark Souls fans

Deleted member 64377

user requested account closure
Banned
Mar 8, 2020
Why do Animal Crossing fans care so much about other people cheating in their single-player game?

They largely don't. If you look at threads asking people if they're bothered by cheaters, it's like 90% people saying they don't care because it doesn't affect anyone else. Some people care, yeah, but you can find someone out there with just about any opinion.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US

I don't think that's a special segment of the game enthusiast crowd like "Animal Crossing fans." Some people are just like that about cheating/exploiting in games in general. I've used cheat codes since I was a kid, so I don't give a fuck. I don't personally time travel, but I totally get why someone would.

Deleted member 64377

user requested account closure
Banned
Mar 8, 2020
The only part about it I find annoying is that time-travelers will post screens of their progress in the middle of normal threads, and it creates some confusion. Like I thought I was doing something wrong for not having a ladder for a long time, and it turned out that the people who had ladders had just been cheating, and I wasn't supposed to have one yet.

Sibersk Esto

Changed the hierarchy of thread titles
Oct 25, 2017
2253ec5bce138170fb1b51db4689b8ca.png

6d637b7d50bc5214e2390bab0ce13301.png

I like this because it's Bruce not being a cold hearted asshole, Damian actually having relatable teen issues, and a father son relationship that seems like something "normal." You know, like "how do I live up to your expectations dad?" Also Bruce defining how his kids succeeded his expectations is nice.

"Willing to do what Batman can't" doesn't feel like the sort of attitude Batman would be fostering

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

Oct 25, 2017
I won't have any filthy time travellers in this thread

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
Based on my shitty YouTube recommendations New Warriors is the most well known Marvel comic they have in ages likely mostly for the wrong reasons

So congratulations ? at least it would be known for something when it ends in 12 issues

Besides the first marvel enby character i think

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
They largely don't. If you look at threads asking people if they're bothered by cheaters, it's like 90% people saying they don't care because it doesn't affect anyone else. Some people care, yeah, but you can find someone out there with just about any opinion.
I don't think that's a special segment of the game enthusiast crowd like "Animal Crossing fans." Some people are just like that about cheating/exploiting in games in general. I've used cheat codes since I was a kid, so I don't give a fuck. I don't personally time travel, but I totally get why someone would.
My twitter feed is filled with them and I don't even play Animal Crossing

SeanShards

Oct 25, 2017
Based on my shitty YouTube recommendations New Warriors is the most well known Marvel comic they have in ages likely mostly for the wrong reasons

So congratulations ? at least it would be known for something when it ends in 12 issues

Besides the first marvel enby character i think

Me using the "Not Interested" button after every single time I watch a comics video:
tenor.gif

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't hold anything against Kibblesmith other than that his blunder upset the audience he was hoping to reach out, but it is pretty bullshit that Grace and Leth weren't allowed to introduce queer characters but we let this guy make a NB character named Snowflake.

Eleriu

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Ah cheat codes that brings back memories. I got one of those cheat devices for the DS and had used it to give myself tons of Pokémon items like having I think it was x99 Master Balls. And I had used it to get Shaymin in Diamond because that was the only way to get it because Shaymin was one of those limited event only Pokémon's.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Damn, looks like CMX is going to stick to the Wednesday release date
Not surprising. They have an advantage there, they'll definitely keep pressing it.

Time travelers in Animal Crossing:

giphy.gif

Also, nothing is worse than fucking Dark Souls fans.
Thinking about getting Batman eternal omnibus how is it?
Meh. I liked the first half fine for the most part, but it hits a certain point where the loss of quality in the story is rather dramatic.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
The only part about it I find annoying is that time-travelers will post screens of their progress in the middle of normal threads, and it creates some confusion. Like I thought I was doing something wrong for not having a ladder for a long time, and it turned out that the people who had ladders had just been cheating, and I wasn't supposed to have one yet.
yar. my concept of how far along i should be is totally out of whack. the only one i can trust is tom nook, which says how bad the situation has gotten.

Status
Not open for further replies.