• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SeanShards

Oct 25, 2017
Far Sector #5 of 12
Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers #49
Once & Future #7
The Transformers vs. The Terminator #1 of 4
Transformers Galaxies #6
X-O Manowar #1

I think that's everything. I missed that there was a new He-Man and the Masters of the Multiverse last week, so that too. That's been fun so far. I wish Tim Seeley could do a Masters ongoing but that looks unlikely now given that Mattel have lost their DC license.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
where's everyone at are y'all at church finding jesus this fine sunday

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I finally sat down to read some 20th Century Boys and this is fucking wild. It might be better than Pluto.

tim1138

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CROWDED #12

AMETHYST #2 (OF 6)
FAR SECTOR #5 (OF 12)
JOHN CONSTANTINE HELLBLAZER #5
LEGION OF SUPER HEROES #5
SUICIDE SQUAD #4

BLACK PANTHER #22
IMMORTAL HULK #33

FOLKLORDS #5 (OF 5)

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
i afk while im working (and so i can pick up seashells) and just leave it running the background. i leave my gate open, if you ever want to come pick peaches or check my store!
I just found peaches on a random island last night. I brought home like 50 peaches. I cut down a forest on my island and replaced them all with peach trees. 😂

lorddarkflare

Oct 25, 2017
There is a fucking THRUPLE in X-Men?

And it is between my favorite three X-Men? How have I been out of the loop on this?

*proceeds to buy every X-Men book under the sun*

ElNarez

Oct 28, 2017
There is a fucking THRUPLE in X-Men?

And it is between my favorite three X-Men? How have I been out of the loop on this?

*proceeds to buy every X-Men book under the sun*

Welcome to the X-Men! Everyone is horny now! (but don't ask too much, this is still the comic book industry, it's mostly gonna be tame flirting and allusions)

Deleted member 64377

user requested account closure
Banned
Mar 8, 2020
Welcome to the X-Men! Everyone is horny now! (but don't ask too much, this is still the comic book industry, it's mostly gonna be tame flirting and allusions)
The things being referred to are especially tame and allusiony. Just wanted to be clear on that before anyone runs out and spends money, if that's the main point of interest. The relationship we're talking about here is subtext at best. It's Marvel implying things just enough to get everyone wound up, without actually doing anything.

lorddarkflare

Oct 25, 2017
I hate the meme that this has turned into, because it's a meme that centers around giving Marvel credit they don't deserve, for pretending to have meaningful queer representation or progressive views on sexuality.

Fair. To be honest, I have been slacking off on my comic reading since West Coast Avengers was cancelled.

This is as good a reason as any to come back.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Dear God, the Bolland cover for the Joker special is ROUGH.
HSLqgon.jpg

Bizarro Joker?

bluexy

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
i agree with everyone. as freeza says, just because it's an indirect reference doesn't mean it's not true. scott, wolverine, and marvel girl are in a relationship. the extent of that relationship isn't clear, but there's enough indirect evidence to make it obvious.

but ahsoka is also right. marvel does not deserve any credit whatsoever. meaningful representation isn't indirect. keeping it indirect is worse than having none at all, frankly, because it makes the message "LGBT representation isn't worth us putting it on the page, rather that the space between panels." it's embracing bigoted views about keeping lgbt humanity out of public view. we know they're LGBT. that's what makes it suck. we know they're in a bisexual polyamorous relationship, but they won't show us. it'd be better if it wasn't there at all, where at least marvel could maintain plausible deniability.

fucking sucks, man. it could be such a cool thing and instead it just sucks.

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
It's still a crime that Trinary isn't in a main X book. Unless she got bumped back up in Excalibur. In which case that sucks because I'm not jumping back on Excalibur

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
I hate the meme that this has turned into, because it's a meme that centers around giving Marvel credit they don't deserve, for pretending to have meaningful queer representation or progressive views on sexuality.
I never get that impression from what's depicted in the books. Logan and Scott both have rooms that connect to Jean's, not to each other. So I'm assuming Marvel's official policy on the subject is still "balls can't touch."

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
Okay first of all, I forgot how integral B&R Eternal is to Grayson. Secondly, I forgot how much of an absolute goddamned gem Jason is.

Weekly smaller events, like the Bat Eternal series, No Justice, the Avengers "No" series, Contagion, etc. Are really where it's at. They change a small chunk of the universe or a select line, come out weekly or bi-weekly, and are usually much tighter and fun. I really enjoyed No Justice, Contagion, and both of the Avengers books. I dropped Batman Eternal after the first trade, but B&R is pretty tight, though long. No Justice was a lot of fun, though I thought three issues was pretty short for what it was doing.

I love these kind of books though. A lot of fun usually.

R0b1n

Jun 29, 2018
Man, I'm not getting any LGBT vibes from the trio stuff at all. Poly relationship? Sure. But bisexual stuff? No. Logan and Scott being amiable doesn't mean they are fucking unless you really want them to be for whatever reason (and from what I've seen online, the reason is mostly shipping)

Deleted member 64377

Banned
Mar 8, 2020
Does anyone think Wolverine isn't bi? Not even talking about this Hickman stuff. I doubt the people at Marvel even think he's not.

And the "for whatever reason" is that representation has been terrible over the years, and queer people latch onto any crumb they're thrown. Subtext and minor/token characters have been the bulk of what we've been allowed to have over the decades. Things are getting better now, but there's a long way to go.

bluexy

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Man, I'm not getting any LGBT vibes from the trio stuff at all. Poly relationship? Sure. But bisexual stuff? No. Logan and Scott being amiable doesn't mean they are fucking unless you really want them to be for whatever reason (and from what I've seen online, the reason is mostly shipping)
we've seen more shared moments between cyclops and wolverine than between either of them and jean, for sure. it's not much, but if you're willing to discount it you should also be discounting any evidence of their relationship period. i think it's bad to assume heterosexuality and discount bisexuality out of expectation.

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
Does anyone think Wolverine isn't bi? Not even talking about this Hickman stuff. I doubt the people at Marvel even think he's not.

And the "for whatever reason" is that representation has been terrible over the years, and queer people latch onto any crumb they're thrown. Subtext and minor/token characters have been the bulk of what we've been allowed to have over the decades. Things are getting better now, but there's a long way to go.
I think Logan probably slept with a dude or two.

Deleted member 64377

Banned
Mar 8, 2020
A lot of things are dismissed as shipping, on the basis that it isn't anything the creators ever intended, and it exists solely in the heads of readers. Therefore it's dumb for people to be so invested in these things that aren't "real".

But how many cases have we seen over the years where creators have later gone on to say that these things were absolutely intended, but they just weren't allowed to come right out and say it, because of the cowardly editors and executives above them?

R0b1n

Jun 29, 2018
we've seen more shared moments between cyclops and wolverine than between either of them and jean, for sure. it's not much, but if you're willing to discount it you should also be discounting any evidence of their relationship period. i think it's bad to assume heterosexuality and discount bisexuality out of expectation.
Wolverine and cyclops were always uhhhh either friends or frenemies. It's no surprise they have a ton of shared moments, as they did previously, and they weren't in a romantic relationship then. I'm not reading all the X-men titles but from what I've seen there are far more Wolverine and Jean moments than either of the possible matches, but that might be because I am reading X-force.

I'm not against being invested in shipping at all. What I find more questionable is criticizing the author and saying that he's embracing anti-LGBT views for not making this supposed relationship more obvious. If Hickman actually went and said it's his intent, then I'll gladly jump in with the well-deserved criticism

Vordan

Aug 12, 2018
I don't count someone as gay or bi or whatever until they're actually coming out on the page and saying it for a really simple reason: DC's handling of Wonder Woman's sexuality. They've used her for their LGBT heroes promotion but in terms of actually letting Diana be shown to be in bed with a woman, or kiss a woman, or hold another woman's hand, or even express sexual interest in another woman? I've never seen that happen, and it annoys me. I don't believe that you should get credit unless you're willing to actually show it, and the way DC tries to have their cake and eat it too has soured me on "well if you look at it in this light they're totally banging!"

Hickman clearly knows how people are taking this and he clearly enjoys teasing the fans. That's fine, but he better be prepared for the inevitable blowback if all this ends up going nowhere.

bluexy

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
i don't know how anyone could see comics' erasure and "between the panels" writing of lgbt characters and relationships as anything other than straight up bigotry. hickman's intention be damned. doesn't matter whether he's being editorially censored or not, whether he thinks it's a fun game. perpetuating that shit is embracing the harm it causes. we all spend money on these books. we support it, too. we all deal with layers of bigotry in real life, this is just another one worth acknowledging. it's really the least we can do.

i also disagree with calling the conversation many of us are having about marvel+wolverine+cyclops shipping. things that aren't stated directly still exist. we might as well be arguing about how wolverine gets his adamantium back when he dies. it's still a thing. we're just disagreeing about the details.

Status
Not open for further replies.