• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
This is my 100th post in this thread. How did it come to this.

So here have best fashion choices Scott to brighten your day:
twizricqyexspvjhvvuy.png
i'd love to have this full set. congrats on 100 posts! next goal... ranking in the wall of shame!

May 24, 2019
I work at a grocery store as well but still live at home with my mom, dad and sister, all who work at a restaurant. They'll see a big hit to their tips soon and it's almost guarantee that they'll have to close soon.

I've started quarantining myself in my room as soon as I get back from work just in case since I have to be around a lot of people right now. It's an incredibly scary time right now.

God what I would've give to be in the reality where I had bought my Black Widow tickets and had ordered King Thor yesterday.

If you were excited for Animal Crossing, I think you should still get it (or whatever you were looking forward to) because everyone could use some form of escape or relaxation at this time.

It may feel like you have to stay on top of the developments, but it's largely something you can't control, so it can be a mental health benefit to check out when you can, as callous as that sounds.

I'm gonna stop checking the OT virus thread as much as I have been.

Last edited:

Eleriu

The Fallen - Teyvat Traveler
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
i'd love to have this full set
So would I. Especially that Booster Gold fan-club shirt.

And Teenage Fansub look at what is coming to VOD early!
www.hollywoodreporter.com

Sony to Release ‘Bloodshot’ Digitally Early

As movie theaters close around the country, Sony is the latest studio set to make a theatrical release available early. 'Bloodshot,' the new Vin Diesel film from Sony's Columbia Pictures, will be available for digital purchase March 24.

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017

As movie theaters close around the country, Sony is the latest studio set to make a theatrical release available early. 'Bloodshot,' the new Vin Diesel film from Sony's Columbia Pictures, will be available for digital purchase March 24.

Yes! I know what I am doing this weekend.

Edit: Wait, 24th. -_-

Tyrant Rave

Has A Pretty Cool Jacket
Oct 25, 2017

You're in luck, Graphitti makes that shirt. I've had it for years now lol

I actually bought some stuff this week myself for the first time in a while. Mostly just catching up on backlogged stuff I let sit while I took a break. And a good amount of manga for laid back reads for now.

May 24, 2019

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017

I'll give it a watch. Doesn't surprise me they did this, since it bombed.

Deleted member 64377

user requested account closure
Banned
Mar 8, 2020
I'm not non-binary, but I am a lesbian, so it doesn't take too much effort for me to imagine this same situation and what I would be feeling if there was a lesbian character being called Snowflake by the same writer for the same reason.

Being a lesbian isn't the same thing as being non-binary (though they're also not mutually exclusive, and there can be overlap between the two), but all the same people hate us, and hate us for the same reason, which is not living within their gender norms. And both groups have been traditionally mistreated and ignored by Marvel. So I don't think I'm out of line here.

I don't actually have a single opinion on this that goes straight across the board. I think Safespace is a really dumb name in a bad way, but I genuinely love Snowflake as a name and would be thrilled if there was a lesbian character named Snowflake who stuck around. I'm way into that. And then Screentime, who isn't really part of that same conversation, is a name I find to be really dumb, but in a good way. It's the right kind of stupid.

I've read comics by Kibblesmith, and also followed him on Twitter for years, and I think there's a good chance this book will be something I like. I like him as a writer and as a public figure, and I would let that man crash on my couch if he needed to.

What actually sucks about this, in my personal opinion, is that for the groups being represented, this is probably most of the representation they'll find in Marvel or DC comics in 2020. I'll be curious to see how books other than this one pan out. Because the rest of that context will impact how I ultimately feel about New Warriors as the contents of New Warriors. The bigger picture matters. I'm not sure what else they have lined up for queer folks, but I know X-Factor is on my radar. I'm a big fan of Leah Williams.

May 24, 2019
Y'all gonna miss the experience of a theater full of people giving a collective uncomfortable groan at the Kobe reference they left in the movie.

KeithM

Jan 15, 2020
The interview with the creator on CBR made my reaction to the NW characters more complex, but not necessarily more positive.

"The Psychic Twins are fully aware of the online connotations of their codenames. They see being superheroes as "a post-ironic meditation on using violence to combat bullying."

"Snowflake and Safespace are the twins," the writer said, "and their names are very similar to Screentime; it's this idea that these are terms that get thrown around on the internet that they don't see as derogatory. [They] take those words and kind of wear them as badges of honor."

Mmmm. I guess I see the point, but...no. The thing is something like "screen time" and "snowflake" both get lumped together as "millennial" insults, but they don't actually operate the same way, and shouldn't be treated the same way.

Also, obviously as someone who's not NB, I can't really speak to the issue, but the presentation of blue/pink and defensive/offensive powers seem to reinforce a sense of binary distinction, so sets up the counterpart to the brother character as a "sister" regardless of their gender identity. Which seems, ya know, bad.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
You're in luck, Graphitti makes that shirt. I've had it for years now lol

I actually bought some stuff this week myself for the first time in a while. Mostly just catching up on backlogged stuff I let sit while I took a break. And a good amount of manga for laid back reads for now.
Where do you buy shirts made by Graphitti?

hipsterpants

Oct 25, 2017
I have no idea what's going to happen at work but there's a non-zero chance I get furloughed at any point after Monday. But I'll likely be fine because of my savings and it seems pretty unlikely my job will dissappear before things can get rolled back up, but who knows. And apparently that's a "worst-case scenario" Still feels like my co-workers aren't taking it very seriously.

I have some extended family that work as chefs and they've already been laid off. So I feel guilty worrying about myself given my situation.

On the bright side I finally read comics and Amazing Mary Jane was really good!! Even with the "I had to throw something together because it extended past my initial plan vibes". Williams totally flipped Pete and MJ's dynamic and it was great to see.

hipsterpants

Oct 25, 2017
If you were excited for Animal Crossing, I think you should still get it (or whatever you were looking forward to) because everyone could use some form of escape or relaxation at this time.

It may feel like you have to stay on top of the developments, but it's largely something you can't control, so it can be a mental health benefit to check out when you can, as callous as that sounds.

I'm gonna stop checking the OT virus thread as much as I have been.

I went to Physical Therapy today and was reminded that society isn't actually collapsing. It was nice.

May 24, 2019
One problem with the New Warriors naming thing is that most of the people it might concern just won't ever crack open a comic to see if the justification rings true.
You just can't promise nuance in this age because most people are only consuming on the surface of headlines and other people's accounts and opinions.
Face value is all that exists.

Last edited:

ElNarez

Oct 28, 2017
What actually sucks about this, in my personal opinion, is that for the groups being represented, this is probably most of the representation they'll find in Marvel or DC comics in 2020. I'll be curious to see how books other than this one pan out. Because the rest of that context will impact how I ultimately feel about New Warriors as the contents of New Warriors. The bigger picture matters. I'm not sure what else they have lined up for queer folks, but I know X-Factor is on my radar. I'm a big fan of Leah Williams.

what I hate is that every single time something like that happens, it plays out in the exact same way: an announcement providing the bare minimum context, thrown out there like so much red meat for the usual culture warrior dipshits to pounce on, and while this barely does anything in the world of direct market comics, a lot of people online will get subjected to some levels of violence, because despite all claims to the contrary, Marvel doesn't really care

Deleted member 64377

Banned
Mar 8, 2020
Surprisingly, Suicide Squad is doing it's part atm. Or not surprisingly since Tom Taylor's a good bloke.
Tom Taylor is indeed a good bloke, and is also welcome to crash on my couch, but then we start getting into the need to actually have queer writers behind more of the representation and not straight cis white men.

But what I want there isn't to take those books away from Kibblesmith and Taylor, I just want more queer books in addition to those. I welcome allies helping with representation as long as they're representing us alongside us and not instead of us.

Marvel has a handful of queer writers on staff, and things are getting better. We'll see what the year brings.

ElNarez

Oct 28, 2017
Marvel are basically using marginalized identities as a way to try and recreate the early buzz around Ms. Marvel and nothing more, and this is so transparent that the entire process feels disheartening instead of being empowering

Deleted member 64377

Banned
Mar 8, 2020
I've kind of been on vacation from western comics since around October, so I'm missing a lot of the bigger picture around this. And then even when I was reading, I wasn't reading Runaways, because I'm a bad gay. What is the current state of queer representation at Marvel outside of this New Warriors thing?

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
One problem with the New Warriors naming thing is that most of the people it might concern just won't ever crack open a comic to see if the justification rings true.
You just can't promise nuance in this age because most people are only consuming on the surface of headlines and other people's accounts and opinions.
Face value is all that exists.
This was my thinking as well.

But I totally understand how NB people can be really put off by it. Theyve been wanting more representation in media and this is what they get from Marvel.

ElNarez

Oct 28, 2017
Marvel Comics basically dared people to like the America Chavez solo comic and no one seemed to expect that people could just say "no" to this.

May 24, 2019
Marvel are basically using marginalized identities as a way to try and recreate the early buzz around Ms. Marvel and nothing more, and this is so transparent that the entire process feels disheartening instead of being empowering

I have no idea if he got a mandate or not, but from the video, Kibblesmith gave me the vibe that he was genuinely into making up this weirdo thing.

I think there's something interesting to so bluntly jamming these guys into the landscape, instead of a gentle integration, hoping against hope that the comic world will be accepting.

Last edited:

Sibersk Esto

Changed the hierarchy of thread titles
Oct 25, 2017
I've kind of been on vacation from western comics since around October, so I'm missing a lot of the bigger picture around this. And then even when I was reading, I wasn't reading Runaways, because I'm a bad gay. What is the current state of queer representation at Marvel outside of this New Warriors thing?
Off the top of my head, Immortal Hulk revealed that one of the main supporting characters is trans

bluexy

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
in summary...

hnbbCB4.png

Astro Cat

Mar 29, 2019
Bingo! And thy don't even have to try anymore. Screentime is kind of a cool concept but when he's on a team with Snowflake and Safespace it's way to on the nose to the point where it's more of a self parody then an effective taking it back.
$17 for all of East of West? You'd he stupid not to.

Why do this to me? I've been waiting to finish this for years and I thought this could be my first week not buying anything.

I'm still reading through War of the Realms and I totally get why people disliked it with it's millions of tie ins but its a really fun book. Daughterman Spidey is awesome.

bluexy

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I'm just saying, they get zero credit for this if they're being so coy about it that you have to look at a floor plan closely to see it. That doesn't count as representation.
yus. that's my intended implication. i think marvel's shit at it. though to be fair, marauders does better.

qzWPNQQ.png

Deleted member 64377

Banned
Mar 8, 2020
It's very on-brand for Hickman to have queer representation in blueprints, though. That's the kind of detail you would include in a parody of Hickman.

R0b1n

Jun 29, 2018
It's very on-brand for Hickman to have queer representation in blueprints, though. That's the kind of detail you would include in a parody of Hickman.
Hickman would make the entire comic infographics if he can get away with it

at least he made the mystique and destiny thing actually on panel

ElNarez

Oct 28, 2017
there's some dialogue in X-Men #7 where scott and logan are straight-up flirting, but the question of who gets to be sexual and how is one of the great failure points of this current era of x-men comics

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
I dont see Marvel ever officially stating og Logan's sexuality. They are probably way too concerned about the back lash to admit that hes bi.

R0b1n

Jun 29, 2018
Speaking of X-men. Fuck beast in X-force. But man, the double page spread of the X-men all having fun and chilling is great, and really shows what Krakoa can really be about. Even so, there's the undercurrent of wrong throughout the issue with the starting "game", and whatever's going on with Domino even putting all the beast stuff aside

there's some dialogue in X-Men #7 where scott and logan are straight-up flirting, but the question of who gets to be sexual and how is one of the great failure points of this current era of x-men comics
I didn't see it as flirting tbh, but close friends joking around. I say similar shit sometimes and I'm definitely not flirting

Last edited:

Sibersk Esto

Changed the hierarchy of thread titles
Oct 25, 2017
So does Kibblesmith get chased away from comics from the backlash to New Warriors or Marvel editorial's handling of the backlash

Status
Not open for further replies.