• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So there's an issue of Detective Riddler written by Lobdell, and while he does creepily hit on a girl he's protecting, aside from that good guy Riddler is pretty dope

He's also kind of a "sex pest" type in Catwoman: When in Rome, which is the one black mark on one of my favorite Catwoman stories. Not sure why they went with that - doesn't feel like a Riddler kind of character trait.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Get your Amazon orders in now lol. If there was something you wanted to get and its already in stock nows the time because they are going to stop getting non essential items sent to their warehouses. Not sure what the store is going to look like after this.

Eleriu

The Fallen - Teyvat Traveler
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Schreier said that games coming out this month and maybe April should be fine with releasing. After that all bets are off for release delays.

Astro Cat

Mar 29, 2019
Berserk is seinen. It typically just comes down to the magazine it's published in. Honestly, "shounen battle manga" is pretty specific and recognizable, but describing pretty much any series just based on its targeted demographic doesn't tell you much. Berserk and Hakumei & Mikochi are seinen, so if you know one and not the other, you might has some odd expectations picking one up.
158988l.jpg
321706000795.jpg

Hell, even saying "it's shounen" isn't super helpful. Even though many western readers may be referring to shounen battle manga specifically, Death Note, GTO, Slam Dunk, A Silent Voice, Bakuman, Act-age, Beastars, Phoenix, and Kyou kara Ore wa!! are all shounen, so it's not the greatest descriptor.

I say that I typically prefer seinen and josei series, because of their themes and focus, but I'd never say "I don't like shounen," because that would be such a ridiculous generalization. One's obviously not inherently better than the other or anything. And there's obviously crossover between the demographics, or series that seem like they're more suited to another demographic despite the magazine it's published in (because sometimes a mangaka just goes to a few publishers before finding one that will put their work in a magazine).
Thanks. I knew there was a term for it just had no idea what to call it. Regardless, nothing will ever top Berserk for me. It's maybe my favorite comic in general, Japanese or not. Also those Harta covers are real nice.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
Thanks. I knew there was a term for it just had no idea what to call it. Regardless, nothing will ever top Berserk for me. It's maybe my favorite comic in general, Japanese or not. Also those Harta covers are real nice.
I love Berserk. I get why it might be hard to get into for new readers, because Guts is pretty unlikable at the beginning, but I love the fucked up world and all the relationships. The art is some of the best in comics (especially later), and the main villain (won't say the name) is such a bastard with a great story. Yeah. It's one of my favorites of all time, too.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017

Oh shit, and a trailer:

I like the Vampire looking kid, and the Cyc fan boy

Last edited:

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
Smoking is definitely tied to sexy and stylish
Yes, but also, as put here:

I would love the imagery of smoking if I didn't associate it with the repulsive real-life smell.

Sometimes, if it's been long enough since I've smelled the real thing, I can find artwork involving cigarettes attractive. But it's a hit or miss kind of thing.

Like I think this is really cute:

ERJHO4zUcAAJQuY

But there's a disconnect from reality there, and I think I imagine this is like an alternate reality magical cigarette that smells like flowers or fresh fruit, and has health benefits instead of killing you.
The reality disconnect. I work with too many people who smoke, or vape (which just looks dumber sometimes even though it can technically be healthier), and they just need like 2 or 3 cigs to get through 8 hours and I'm like "my guy for real?"

"Oh man my throat is kinda dry and I have a cough. I might be getting sick. Hope it's not Corona. Well I'm gonna go grab a quick cig. Slam some soda real quick." Like bruh what?

He's also kind of a "sex pest" type in Catwoman: When in Rome, which is the one black mark on one of my favorite Catwoman stories. Not sure why they went with that - doesn't feel like a Riddler kind of character trait.
I guess he's kind of a shut-in, so he doesn't have social skills in regards to women? I dunno. It's weird.

Astro Cat

Mar 29, 2019
I love Berserk. I get why it might be hard to get into for new readers, because Guts is pretty unlikable at the beginning, but I love the fucked up world and all the relationships. The art is some of the best in comics (especially later), and the main villain (won't say the name) is such a bastard with a great story. Yeah. It's one of my favorites of all time, too.
I watched the anime first and the eclipse basically broke my brain. Now I'm all caught up on the manga and waiting impatiently for the next volume. I love it but I agree it's really hard to recommend to new readers.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Oh wow, the new characters in New Warriors sound really neat. Snowflake is non-binary, and her brother is Safe Space. Said they wear their names as like a badge of honor. He can create forcefields, but only to protect someone else, and she makes snowflake shurikens lol.

Screentime is always stuck on the internet lol.

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sega and Marvel really endearing themselves to the Irish.

just what any group needs, more Sonic

I've lost my smile for comics. For reading.

:(

Yes, but also, as put here:

The reality disconnect. I work with too many people who smoke, or vape (which just looks dumber sometimes even though it can technically be healthier), and they just need like 2 or 3 cigs to get through 8 hours and I'm like "my guy for real?"

"Oh man my throat is kinda dry and I have a cough. I might be getting sick. Hope it's not Corona. Well I'm gonna go grab a quick cig. Slam some soda real quick." Like bruh what?

I can think of few things that are more of a turn off than the smell of stale cig smoke on someone's clothes

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
Damn, Magic Order v1 was not bad either!! What happened to Millar. Is someone ghost writing for him?!

Also read a comic (?) from 1930 called Alay-Oop that feels remarkably modern! It is one 'panel' per page and tells the love story of some vaudeville performers.

lGhVcqy.png

Y8E0HAW.png

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
Oh wow, the new characters in New Warriors sound really neat. Snowflake is non-binary, and her brother is Safe Space. Said they wear their names as like a badge of honor. He can create forcefields, but only to protect someone else, and she makes snowflake shurikens lol.

Screentime is always stuck on the internet lol.

So, I'm torn. On the one hand, I think including more enby characters in comics is neat and should happen more often. On the other...those names are all terrible and feel like some shit a conservative making fun of progressives would come up with, and they should be changed immediately. >.<

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
ah fuck Adam Hughes is good

Always has been, as long as you don't expect him to hit a deadline with interiors. 😂
i'm almost done with case #3, myself! it's super good, but i do question whether picross is the best choice for this kind of game. as opposed to just, you know, making it more like ace attorney.
I think a lot of VNs need something to break up the monotony, because otherwise they just end up being "Press A: The Game". VA-11 HALL-A had the drink mixing, which turned out to be very fun. I don't think Murder by Numbers would have been as fun without the puzzles.
on the other side of this we'll have VAMPIRE THE MASQUERADE comics

I might be in for these. I'm looking to learn more about the franchise before the game comes out. They're releasing that Vampire: TM visual novel for consoles on March 24th.
I want to read MHA at some point but I don't want to anchor myself to some weekly Shonen for 20 years where the main character just gets constant power ups.
No way does MHA go on for that long.
In addition, I officially denounce the term "shounen jumps," because it puts too much focus on a magazine that already has far too much exposure, impact on the industry, and makes tons of money. I will accept "J-coms," "mangoes," or "Hartas." Harta is the best manga magazine. Harta has the best covers, too.
Too bad. Bride's Story is one of my favorite Shonen Jumps, though.
Get your Amazon orders in now lol. If there was something you wanted to get and its already in stock nows the time because they are going to stop getting non essential items sent to their warehouses. Not sure what the store is going to look like after this.
Amazon about to go out of business. Also, do sex toys count as "essential items?" I didn't even know Amazon carried that stuff initially, until I discovered you can Google Amazon listings for this stuff. Otherwise it doesn't seem to be searchable through Amazon's own search bar.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
So, I'm torn. On the one hand, I think including more enby characters in comics is neat and should happen more often. On the other...those names are all terrible and feel like some shit a conservative making fun of progressives would come up with, and they should be changed immediately. >.<
I think the names sound like out of touch adults trying to make cool kids. Screentime?

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

I am leaving this community!
Oct 25, 2017
Once MHA passes the original 30th volume ending there's no end in sight. Good.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I think a lot of VNs need something to break up the monotony, because otherwise they just end up being "Press A: The Game". VA-11 HALL-A had the drink mixing, which turned out to be very fun. I don't think Murder by Numbers would have been as fun without the puzzles.

oh yeah, for sure. i wouldn't want -no- puzzles. i just think it needs something more involved. more directly tied to what's happening, even if it's just in a small way.

Deleted member 64377

user requested account closure
Banned
Mar 8, 2020
If it needs something to break up the monotony, that sounds like the writing just isn't very good. Reading a good book isn't a monotonous experience.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017

the video does a much better job talking about them, but I totally agree. I was just thinking the same actually before I read your post.

I'm sure there are going to be a ton of people shitting on these characters too. The forced diversity people especially.

R0b1n

Jun 29, 2018
The name sounds very tongue in cheek like "these darn teens and their lingo", but not in a malicious way

Status
Not open for further replies.