• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
So, comics Era, is there a list of what creators to avoid due to comicsgate? I know the obvious one being Evan van Sciver, who are other notable names?

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
I mean yeah, I guess I just wasn't feeling it when I watched it. It's been like, 7 years at least. You make good points.

I just like Brotherhood a lot more. Clicks with me a lot more and honestly I think the only things it does worse are Hughes, Nina, and Al's existential crisis of what makes a soul.

I should go back and watch it one of these days. See if it really resonates with me in the same way emotionally that it used to, because in hindsight I don't think it would.
I legit do not think any of the homunculi outside of Greed(And this one is a more lateral thing than an out right better) and Envy are better

Also 03 Scar is so much better than Brotherhood scar it's crazy.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
dang! i missed out on quite the back and forth while ive been binging murder by numbers.

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
I legit do not think any of the homunculi outside of Greed(And this one is a more lateral thing than an out right better) and Envy are better

Also 03 Scar is so much better than Brotherhood scar it's crazy.
Wrath and Pride? I like Scar. I also prefer Hawkeye and Winry to 03's incarnations.
I never heard of Esquivel, but thanks for pointing out Upchurch. Kind of torn if I should not support Rat Queens because of him, but it seems like they dropped him from the team when things went public?
Upchurch has long been gone from the team since part of the way through volume 2. He has his own comic coming out that he will be writing and drawing and it's all about him on his own bullshit.

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
Wrath and Pride? I like Scar. I also prefer Hawkeye and Winry to 03's incarnations.

I honestly think brotherhood's child sucks shit. And relies more on cool factor than being an interesting character

Edit: don't get me wrong, that fight is BALLER, but that's more due to the fight than the enemy in it.

And Bradley is pretty even to me between mediums

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
CMX updated with trades and manga. I got the new volume of Beastars, so life can continue for another day.

dang! i missed out on quite the back and forth while ive been binging murder by numbers.
I'm on case #3. Trying to finish before Animal Crossing comes out. But now that they're releasing a Trials of Mana demo on Wednesday, who knows!?

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
If you thought Snyder comics were wiki dumps, wait till you read HxH.

FMA's cool though. (What two versions are you all talking about?)

what'd sou da do to get banned again?

ye0ceBT.png

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Just got to the Future Foundation arc in Hickman's run, there's a very clear change of tone in it that I'm really liking. I especially love the way Hickman writes Doom, so more Doom is always great.

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

I am leaving this community!
Oct 25, 2017
I never heard of Esquivel, but thanks for pointing out Upchurch. Kind of torn if I should not support Rat Queens because of him, but it seems like they dropped him from the team when things went public?

He still gets paid from being Co creator sadly.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
I legit didn't know FMA Brotherhood was an entire rework of the story to be consistent to the manga. I watched the original show way back, but petered out long before Brotherhood was a thing. Always assumed it was just a sequel series from a distance.

hipsterpants

Oct 25, 2017
I legit didn't know FMA Brotherhood was an entire rework of the story to be consistent to the manga. I watched the original show way back, but petered out long before Brotherhood was a thing. Always assumed it was just a sequel series from a distance.

The first ~10 episodes or Brotherhood are basically a speed run of the parts of the original anime that covered the manga. It's something that gets brought up in criticism but honestly I never really noticed.

Also Brotherhood has some of the best OPs, the first one is sooooo good.

Deleted member 2085

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The first ~10 episodes or Brotherhood are basically a speed run of the parts of the original anime that covered the manga. It's something that gets brought up in criticism but honestly I never really noticed.

Big big big fan of the 2nd OP
I sing it from time to time.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017

I should also add that I had no idea the OG series deviated from the source material to begin with. So I'm learning quite a bit, though I did quite enjoy the old series, I had no reference other than that show.

I'd probably prefer Brotherhood if I gave it a watch as I don't hold that much nostalgia for the original, and did feel the second half of that series lost me(which is why I stopped caring and tuned out). Can't recall specifics, but at the time I wasn't feeling it anymore as the show went on.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
So basically it seems like every major game release for the forseeable future is scoring absurdly high and is deserving of stealing our comics-reading time.

Deleted member 2085

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I should also add that I had no idea the OG series deviated from the source material to begin with. So I'm learning quite a bit, though I did quite enjoy the old series, I had no reference other than that show.

I'd probably prefer Brotherhood if I gave it a watch as I don't hold that much nostalgia for the original, and did feel the second half of that series lost me(which is why I stopped caring and tuned out). Can't recall specifics, but at the time I wasn't feeling it anymore as the show went on.
The OG anime deviates HEAVILY from the manga that they have entirely different antagonists and backstories. So I think you'll enjoy the Brotherhood anime more since it's more fast paced in comparison to the OG anime.

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
Reading Huntress Year One

It's like...well it's not good. It's definitely interesting.

So far we're 1/3 on solo Huntress stories.
I honestly think brotherhood's child sucks shit. And relies more on cool factor than being an interesting character

Edit: don't get me wrong, that fight is BALLER, but that's more due to the fight than the enemy in it.

And Bradley is pretty even to me between mediums
I fucking hate 03 Wrath. I just never liked him as a character at all. Period.

My thing with Brotherhood and the 2003 series is that ultimately I like Brotherhood more because while the 03 series may have a few more interesting concepts, deeper arcs, and deeper characters, Brotherhood brings it all together as a much greater whole far better. Not only does it do that, but it does it without the pacing and plot issues of the 2003 series while also feeling far less cynical and thematically resonant. Brotherhood's theme of not having to shoulder your own problems as they don't affect just you, but those around you whether you want them to or not. That theme is what really sets it apart from the 03 series for me. Not just the bigger cast and world building, because quite frankly learning that alchemy is powered by the energy of the shifting of tectonic plates doesn't mean much.
ah fuck Adam Hughes is good

Man this book is gonna be good

bluexy

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
CMX updated with trades and manga. I got the new volume of Beastars, so life can continue for another day.

I'm on case #3. Trying to finish before Animal Crossing comes out. But now that they're releasing a Trials of Mana demo on Wednesday, who knows!?
i'm almost done with case #3, myself! it's super good, but i do question whether picross is the best choice for this kind of game. as opposed to just, you know, making it more like ace attorney.
If you thought Snyder comics were wiki dumps, wait till you read HxH.

FMA's cool though. (What two versions are you all talking about?)

ye0ceBT.png
fucking sucks he got banned for an accurate statement. in my experience, i said some very basic ideas (that proved true less than a week later) in that thread and got insulted by half a dozen people. i reported all of them and not a single one got even a warning.

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
Has Catwoman ever smoked cigarettes before? Has that ever been a thing? It is in Huntress Year One. She just carries around cigs and a lighter apparently

catwoman%2Bsmokes.jpg

bluexy

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Mashups are the best though! Like Puzzle Quest or Layton.
yar. i agree. i just don't know if the picross mashup works well. it really messes with the pacing. in context, like with layton, you can imagine someone stopping him on the street and asking him a 30s puzzle. not so much a detective spending 15 minutes doing a picross in the middle of a murder scene. thematically it's weird, too. since the picross puzzles aren't connected to the story or world in any real way. like layton's puzzles are.

Astro Cat

Mar 29, 2019
The original FMA had me obsessed. I got a knuckle tattoo because of it. Never could finish Brotherhood for some reason. HunterXHunter is still the best shonen anime behind MHA.

Deleted member 64377

user requested account closure
Banned
Mar 8, 2020
Huh. It doesn't surprise me, but it does, y'know?
I don't like it, and I'm glad it's been seemingly tossed out in newer things I've read.

My take is that if they showed her smoking in the alternate timeline in King's run, but she wasn't shown to be a smoker anywhere else in the run, even though she's been a prominent character, that says to me that the "real" current Catwoman isn't a smoker.

Maybe I'm misremembering because my brain is trying to protect me, but King's run even flashes back to Year One, and I don't remember them showing her smoking in the Year One scenes.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I want to read MHA at some point but I don't want to anchor myself to some weekly Shonen for 20 years where the main character just gets constant power ups.

Maybe I should read something already done, like Yu Yu Hakusho.

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
So there's an issue of Detective Riddler written by Lobdell, and while he does creepily hit on a girl he's protecting, aside from that good guy Riddler is pretty dope
I don't like it, and I'm glad it's been seemingly tossed out in newer things I've read.

My take is that if they showed her smoking in the alternate timeline in King's run, but she wasn't shown to be a smoker anywhere else in the run, even though she's been a prominent character, that says to me that the "real" current Catwoman isn't a smoker.

Maybe I'm misremembering because my brain is trying to protect me, but King's run even flashes back to Year One, and I don't remember them showing her smoking in the Year One scenes.
Yeah I'm not a fan either. It's not sexy or stylish and Selina wouldn't do something that's not sexy or stylish. Not to say she's vapid, that's just how she rolls.

Selina's grown on me a lot over the past week for no particular reason. I have all of Brubaker's run downloaded. I bought it when DC did a big sale a couple months back. I think I'll bump it up on my "to read" list

Deleted member 64377

Banned
Mar 8, 2020
Yeah I'm not a fan either. It's not sexy or stylish and Selina wouldn't do something that's not sexy or stylish. Not to say she's vapid, that's just how she rolls.

Selina's grown on me a lot over the past week for no particular reason. I have all of Brubaker's run downloaded. I bought it when DC did a big sale a couple months back. I think I'll bump it up on my "to read" list
There's a super romantic Selina/Bruce issue in that run that I would put up there with my beloved King stuff, and put in the conversation for one of the most romantic comics I've ever read.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
The original FMA had me obsessed. I got a knuckle tattoo because of it. Never could finish Brotherhood for some reason. HunterXHunter is still the best shonen anime behind MHA.

This is...a fascinating set of opinions, lol. I think My Hero gets a bad rap b/c it's merely executing shonen tropes well rather than doing something new, but I still wouldn't place it at the top.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
Actually on second thought HxH is definitely better. Just a little too reliant on Nen rules. Nothing comes close to beating Berserk but I don't consider that shonen.
Berserk is seinen. It typically just comes down to the magazine it's published in. Honestly, "shounen battle manga" is pretty specific and recognizable, but describing pretty much any series just based on its targeted demographic doesn't tell you much. Berserk and Hakumei & Mikochi are seinen, so if you know one and not the other, you might has some odd expectations picking one up.
158988l.jpg
321706000795.jpg

Hell, even saying "it's shounen" isn't super helpful. Even though many western readers may be referring to shounen battle manga specifically, Death Note, GTO, Slam Dunk, A Silent Voice, Bakuman, Act-age, Beastars, Phoenix, and Kyou kara Ore wa!! are all shounen, so it's not the greatest descriptor.

I say that I typically prefer seinen and josei series, because of their themes and focus, but I'd never say "I don't like shounen," because that would be such a ridiculous generalization. One's obviously not inherently better than the other or anything. And there's obviously crossover between the demographics, or series that seem like they're more suited to another demographic despite the magazine it's published in (because sometimes a mangaka just goes to a few publishers before finding one that will put their work in a magazine).

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
Berserk is seinen. It typically just comes down to the magazine it's published in. Honestly, "shounen battle manga" is pretty specific and recognizable, but describing pretty much any series just based on its targeted demographic doesn't tell you much. Berserk and Hakumei & Mikochi are seinen, so if you know one and not the other, you might has some odd expectations picking one up.
158988l.jpg
321706000795.jpg

Hell, even saying "it's shounen" isn't super helpful. Even though many western readers may be referring to shounen battle manga specifically, Death Note, GTO, Slam Dunk, A Silent Voice, Bakuman, Act-age, Beastars, Phoenix, and Kyou kara Ore wa!! are all shounen, so it's not the greatest descriptor.

I say that I typically prefer seinen and josei series, because of their themes and focus, but I'd never say "I don't like shounen," because that would be such a ridiculous generalization. One's obviously not inherently better than the other or anything. And there's obviously crossover between the demographics, or series that seem like they're more suited to another demographic despite the magazine it's published in (because sometimes a mangaka just goes to a few publishers before finding one that will put their work in a magazine).
In addition, I officially denounce the term "shounen jumps," because it puts too much focus on a magazine that already has far too much exposure, impact on the industry, and makes tons of money. I will accept "J-coms," "mangoes," or "Hartas." Harta is the best manga magazine. Harta has the best covers, too.

harta1_02.jpg
A1gvzbPZ4aL.jpg
chapter-44-54773708537471-1.jpg

81yi%2BGunpDL.jpg
81N1CNIugAL.jpg
91wg9Qr1e7L.jpg

A1WrmiYSC0L.jpg
A1GiaSNJFdL.jpg
6375452-52.jpg

Last edited:

Deleted member 64377

Banned
Mar 8, 2020
I would love the imagery of smoking if I didn't associate it with the repulsive real-life smell.

Sometimes, if it's been long enough since I've smelled the real thing, I can find artwork involving cigarettes attractive. But it's a hit or miss kind of thing.

Like I think this is really cute:

ERJHO4zUcAAJQuY

But there's a disconnect from reality there, and I think I imagine this is like an alternate reality magical cigarette that smells like flowers or fresh fruit, and has health benefits instead of killing you.

Status
Not open for further replies.