• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
I hate the OT but it reminded me Beatstars is on Netflix so I guess I need to watch it now.
tenor.gif

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
What if I told you

HOT TAKE ALERT

That Helena Bertenelli is a more interesting Frank Castle?

Also I just learned that there are more Huntress solo mini series. but I assume that they might be bad.

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
Also GringoSuave89 I've been thinking about what really bothers me about Outsiders' current story, and it's not so much that it's trash. I don't think it's bad really. My problem is that it's a story that feels intended for much darker superheroes or characters. If Hill had been using the Outlaws, such as Red Hood or Artemis; if he had used Huntress, Azrael, or the New 52 Birds of Prey with Poison Ivy, Strix, Starling, Katana (hey!), and even Batgirl and Black Canary, I would be fine. The Secret Six! (The New 52 version, more specifically) The "darker" heroes and anti-heroes essentially. Not Cassandra and Duke, for fuck's sake,

R0b1n

Jun 29, 2018
Also GringoSuave89 I've been thinking about what really bothers me about Outsiders' current story, and it's not so much that it's trash. I don't think it's bad really. My problem is that it's a story that feels intended for much darker superheroes or characters. If Hill had been using the Outlaws, such as Red Hood or Artemis; if he had used Huntress, Azrael, or the New 52 Birds of Prey with Poison Ivy, Strix, Starling, Katana (hey!), and even Batgirl and Black Canary, I would be fine. The Secret Six! (The New 52 version, more specifically) The "darker" heroes and anti-heroes essentially. Not Cassandra and Duke, for fuck's sake,
Cassandra is a pretty dark character, isn't she? She has the whole "tortured assassin, only good at killing" shtick as her backstory. Duke isn't through, I agree

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
Cassandra is a pretty dark character, isn't she? She has the whole "tortured assassin, only good at killing" shtick as her backstory. Duke isn't through, I agree
But a huge part of her arc is moving upwards from that. She's a kid trying not to be the assassin she was bred to be while trying to be a superhero. This storyline has elements of that, but to be honest it's far too much about the adults than the kids and it does a way better job in that area. Red Hood, Jason, is fine being the darker lone wolf hero, which is why he'd be a good fit. Same with Katana. This book feels counterproductive to Cass.

GringoSuave89

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
LA, CA

It just ticks a lot of boxes from my pet peeves list. Batman is a secretive dick constantly (Detective Comics under JT4 did it better), the Japanophile start of the series (it could have improved idk), the fact that everyone just seems MISRABLE. I agree this was not the team for this particular story, but its also a story I don't care for reading especially when others have done it better. And it sucks cause I love Dexter's work. But yeah, I cannot root for any character here.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Now that it's been brought up I wonder if I should worry about my step dad. He's 76, diabetic, and runs a hot dog cart so lots of people coming his way.

I just figured we were all freaking out and this would blow over but I never really thought about it hitting someone I care about.

SpaceSong

Oct 25, 2017
Now that it's been brought up I wonder if I should worry about my step dad. He's 76, diabetic, and runs a hot dog cart so lots of people coming his way.

I just figured we were all freaking out and this would blow over but I never really thought about it hitting someone I care about.
I'd say it's a big risk. I'm concerned because my area had a massive spike in cases yesterday, including one in my little neck of Atlanta, and I'm dreading seeing the Atlanta Journal's update about it today.

My girlfriends dad is diabetic and having anxiety attack stressing about it because he works with kids who can be unknowing carriers of it. It's sad. The idea of that guy being anxious has me feeling the same.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017

Yea he should probably be taking a lot of extra precautions. Like maybe wearing a mask, just so he doesnt accidentally touch his mouth at work.

Hopefully the state or fed gov will get off their assess and help out people like him so they dont have to worry about working.

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
It just ticks a lot of boxes from my pet peeves list. Batman is a secretive dick constantly (Detective Comics under JT4 did it better), the Japanophile start of the series (it could have improved idk), the fact that everyone just seems MISRABLE. I agree this was not the team for this particular story, but its also a story I don't care for reading especially when others have done it better. And it sucks cause I love Dexter's work. But yeah, I cannot root for any character here.
I feel you. The Japanese fetishism doesn't get any better and that especially is the one that really gets me.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Is there a version of a Westerner doing a story with Japanese characters, or elements from Japanese culture, that doesn't offend? Maybe offend isnt the right word for what I mean. What were people knocking Tokyo Ghost for?

Not trying to be a dick, im legit curious what the difference is between doing it well and doing it disrespectfully.

Wayward is the only thing I can think of that doesnt get trashed for its use of Japan and its culture. But I also dont see it getting talked about much at all. I only hear about the bad these days and tbh I enjoy stories that use elements of Asian culture. Just like I enjoy stories with religious themes and influence.

Im way behind on Outsiders, so I havent seen where it goes with it after the first arc, but all I recall seeing was Katana speaking Japanese at times, that yea felt a bit odd. I more so enjoyed how the book felt like it was inspired by 90s anime.

GringoSuave89

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
LA, CA
I mean if you're writing "Ah yes I see you studied the blade as well" type shit unironically, safe to say you aren't writing about Japanese culture very well.

Its surface level shit people find disrespectful. It shouldn't be just set dressing. And from what I read of Outsiders, whoooooo boy...

Deleted member 64377

user requested account closure
Banned
Mar 8, 2020
Is there a version of a Westerner doing a story with Japanese characters, or elements from Japanese culture, that doesn't offend? Maybe offend isnt the right word for what I mean. What were people knocking Tokyo Ghost for?

Not trying to be a dick, im legit curious what the difference is between doing it well and doing it disrespectfully.

Wayward is the only thing I can think of that doesnt get trashed for its use of Japan and its culture. But I also dont see it getting talked about much at all. I only hear about the bad these days and tbh I enjoy stories that use elements of Asian culture. Just like I enjoy stories with religious themes and influence.

Im way behind on Outsiders, so I havent seen where it goes with it after the first arc, but all I recall seeing was Katana speaking Japanese at times, that yea felt a bit odd. I more so enjoyed how the book felt like it was inspired by 90s anime.
Asian-Americans often don't get enough credit for putting in the work to get these things right, because people just see that they're of Asian descent and assume it came naturally or that the process was easier. But something like the Japanese-American experience isn't the same thing as the Japanese experience, so a Japanese-American, depending on their experience, might have to put just as much work into be accurate and respectful as a random white guy does, without getting any of the credit for putting that work in.

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
I like Katana, but odds are if you put her in your book, it just became 50% more problematic because her gimmick is that she's a Japanese swordswoman with a soulstealing sword and she's named after what type of sword it is.

Already it's way more problematic than it should be, and you haven't even written the character.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US

If the writer and artist put in the work to be authentic, they won't make something that feels like a cheap imitation... inspired, as you said, by 90s anime. I only read I think the first volume of Wayward, and it made me nostalgic for Japan, because the depiction was pretty good. Can't say more since I haven't read much, but I thought that volume showed that someone involved was very knowledgeable about Japan.

Unfortunately, Western comic writers have a tendency to just fetishize Japan (and Japanese women, especially), rather than show they've done the work to understand the people or the culture at all. They remind me of the people I knew when I studied abroad for a year who were crushed because Japan wasn't what they expected (from their anime obsession). Or the white dudes that were so disappointed that Japanese women weren't "easy" like they had thought.

So take Bryan Hill, for example. The dude is knowledgeable about Japanese martial arts, and he's watched anime. That is... about it, as far as I've been able to tell from his depictions of Japanese characters. They're all one-sided bushido masters with crazy anime backgrounds that confidently state "Hai," like they're in the dojo, responding to their sensei, rather than having a fucking normal conversation.

the Japanese-American experience isn't the same thing as the Japanese experience, so a Japanese-American, depending on their experience, might have to put just as much work into be accurate and respectful as a random white guy does, without getting any of the credit for putting that work in.
Yupp. Good post. And the Japanese vs. Japanese-American reaction to American cultural appropriation is completely different for this reason, too: their experiences are completely different.
Anybody read infinity wars hardcover by Gerry Duggar,is it any good?
Read the issues while they were coming out, and it felt like a sorta disappointing end to his run with the Guardians. I recommend reading his Guardians of the Galaxy run up to that point (since it leads up to that story) and see if you're still curious. Just reading it standalone doesn't sound super fun.

hipsterpants

Oct 25, 2017
Writing an event must suck really hard. Like we want you to write a story, but the story can't be *too* complete because we need to also sell a bunch of tie-ins about things going on during the event.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Ok I'll skip it how about thanos by Donny cates hardcover?
it's a great book but you might prefer waiting for the The Marvel Cosmic Universe by Donny Cates Omnibus Vol 1, which will include everything in the HC but also Silver Surfer Black + Death of the Inhumans. it comes out octoberish, i believe.

Classicrock78

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
San Antonio
it's a great book but you might prefer waiting for the The Marvel Cosmic Universe by Donny Cates Omnibus Vol 1, which will include everything in the HC but also Silver Surfer Black + Death of the Inhumans. it comes out octoberish, i believe.
Awesome I'll wait for that then thanks,damn since he's a good writer ill also get the carnage omnibus by him thats coming aswell.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
If the writer and artist put in the work to be authentic, they won't make something that feels like a cheap imitation... inspired, as you said, by 90s anime. I only read I think the first volume of Wayward, and it made me nostalgic for Japan, because the depiction was pretty good. Can't say more since I haven't read much, but I thought that volume showed that someone involved was very knowledgeable about Japan.

Unfortunately, Western comic writers have a tendency to just fetishize Japan (and Japanese women, especially), rather than show they've done the work to understand the people or the culture at all. They remind me of the people I knew when I studied abroad for a year who were crushed because Japan wasn't what they expected (from their anime obsession). Or the white dudes that were so disappointed that Japanese women weren't "easy" like they had thought.

So take Bryan Hill, for example. The dude is knowledgeable about Japanese martial arts, and he's watched anime. That is... about it, as far as I've been able to tell from his depictions of Japanese characters. They're all one-sided bushido masters with crazy anime backgrounds that confidently state "Hai," like they're in the dojo, responding to their sensei, rather than having a fucking normal conversation.

Yupp. Good post. And the Japanese vs. Japanese-American reaction to American cultural appropriation is completely different for this reason, too: their experiences are completely different.
Thank you for writing this up for me. It makes a lot more sense when you put this way.

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
Okay, I'm feeling this pitch:

Red Hood and the Outsiders

Red Hood
Artemis
Huntress
Katana (I know I know)
Harley Quinn (I want her on a team book, but Suicide Squad doesn't make sense for her anymore and neither does Justice League to me)

Jason rebuilds Bruce's Outsiders project, but better because he thinks it's necessary to cross the line and he always will. It failed because Batman wasn't.

It's just X-Force. It's not Birds of Prey because that's an off the books network of superheroes. It's not Suicide Squad, because that's strictly villains. It's not Secret Six, because that's villains and the concept is ne

This is basically just DC X-Force.

Dexter Soy on art and not a bad writer doing the writing. Not Lobdell for fuck's sake

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
Asian-Americans often don't get enough credit for putting in the work to get these things right, because people just see that they're of Asian descent and assume it came naturally or that the process was easier. But something like the Japanese-American experience isn't the same thing as the Japanese experience, so a Japanese-American, depending on their experience, might have to put just as much work into be accurate and respectful as a random white guy does, without getting any of the credit for putting that work in.

If the writer and artist put in the work to be authentic, they won't make something that feels like a cheap imitation...

Yep. Like Sakai and Usagi Yojimbo!

You know, I wonder if I am a bit narrow minded at times when I think a writer really can't capture some thing well without actually living that experience.

But then something like GWW's Ms. Marvel or Sakai's Yojimbo completely changes my mind on that.

It also makes me wonder what someone might think of a book like New Super-man in mainland China or even Hong Kong.

Status
Not open for further replies.