• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Christian

Oct 25, 2017
I started reading Thor again after dropping off since the Jane change back and hearing it was awful. But it's not and actually quite enjoyable. I'm definitely not looking forward to WOTR because it should've happened maybe a year or 2 into Aaron's run but at least it has Daughtermann art. Another hot take: I'm enjoying Aaron's Avengers maybe more then Snyder's JL, which lost me with that garbage Aquaman story. At least it has Namor which is always amazing.

1.00 is still too much. I need those .25 comics for my tp.

Anyone that tells you Del Mundo Thor through King Thor is awful is full of fucking shit.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
Man, I want a Del Mundo drawn book again, that was the only reason I gave a fuck about Waidvengers

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Is there Flash team ups?
They are the same person.

sonic-the-hedgehog-gets-a-movie-dceu-flash-makeover-social.jpg

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I finished The Graveyard Book graphic novel and I cried at the end first when Bod said goodbye to Mother Slaughter, then when his parents said goodbye the first time, then when Silas shook his hand, and again when his mother sang to him. It was a beautifully told fairy tale. The adaptation let Gaiman's prose work its magic and accented it with grace.

The story worked best when Bod was young, when the world was a mystery and Bod was brave. As Bod grew older, the story grew harsher, which was by design but also was understandably harder to accept -- likely also by design. Bod going to school and getting bullied, then dealing with the consequences was the start of it. The innocence of him turning as he spent more and more time outside of the graveyard. His chapter with the Jacks and Scarlett was like ripping off a bandaid. Bod asking Silas why Scarlett was afraid of him was... oof. Both as Bod struggled to understand what living meant and how that was reflected in Silas, who had never lived but also saw how living brought with it pain and sacrifice. And love and so much good, too.

I really thought something would happen to Silas at the end. A price for falling in love with his surrogate son, or something. Him just saying goodbye with a handshake was harsh. But served as a stark reminder of what Bod had before him. A life. Where Silas never would.

And of course the book was filled with references to storytelling, both specific and general. The Honor Guard being a group of reformed horror book and movie monsters. The bullies that Bod called Jekyll and Hyde. Bod wanting to read Robinson Crusoe. Like in The Sandman, they offer clues and rich background ideas, but never expect the reader to be informed.

There's a lot of horror hidden at the edges of The Graveyard Book, which stands in contrast to the fearless Bod. His parents were murdered, he grows up amongst ghosts and corpses and spirits. He's hunted by a mysteriously powerful organization. His Guardian is a vampire. Early in the story this is presented as a good thing, seen through Bod's innocent eyes. When I started seeing it as disturbing is when Bod gets his hand stabbed by a pencil and doesn't even react. Pain and the possibility of harm or even death mean nothing to him.

At first I assumed he was going to grow out of this, to learn to love to live. Here's where I lost Gaiman's goal. I don't know what his intention was, but my reading is that Bod never did learn to love to live. He had ideas, though, which is as good a start as a parent can give their child. Still, Bod seeing him leaving the graveyard as an adventure was a bit unsettling. His need to find a deserted island doubly so. Why? I think back to that moment where Bod mentions while reading Robinson Crusoe that the protagonist sees a footprint, that there's someone else on the island! Is Bod looking to find a deserted island in the hopes someone else might be there with him? It's and odd goal and it leaves me worried fo Bod. That he's not ready. That his family has left him woefully unprepared and overconfident.

I guess that's life though. And death, I suppose.

edit: backlog rng has picked Black Bold by Ahmed.

Last edited:

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
My parents told me that they want to have a "meeting" with me tomorrow to talk about what I'm supposed to do if they get really sick from Covid... or die. It'll be a totally cool Sunday.

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
My parents told me that they want to have a "meeting" with me tomorrow to talk about what I'm supposed to do if they get really sick from Covid... or die. It'll be a totally cool Sunday.

Godspeed. I also had that conversation today. I was also berated for not being smart enough to stock up on cereal. (Rice, beans, canned tomatos, ramen and peanut butter are not enough).

Aurica

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
I wish you and all your families the best through this. I sincerely hope that everything goes well for everyone.
Godspeed. I also had that conversation today. I was also berated for not being smart enough to stock up on cereal. (Rice, beans, ramen, canned tomatos, ramen and peanut butter are not enough).
I'm glad you're not stocking up a ton on top of that to stop people who can't afford to stock up from buying food, though. Sounds like you're set, however.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Yea im super worried about my grandparents getting it from me or the kids. I work part time at a grocery store and im debating if I should stop going in, just to make sure I dont transmit it to them. If there is a reported case in my area im quitting that day for sure.

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
Read Huntress: Cry for Blood, collected in the Birds of Prey: Huntress trade released for the movie.

Fantastic story. Emphasizes even more as to why Huntress is one of my favorite DC characters. Wish she got more play. I really need to read Simone's BoP and it's probably on lock at my LCS.
Anyone that tells you Del Mundo Thor through King Thor is awful is full of fucking shit.
Man, I want a Del Mundo drawn book again, that was the only reason I gave a fuck about Waidvengers

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017

giphy.gif

My mom is kinda freaking out too. She's over 70, has asthma and autoimmune hepatitis. She's definitely in the high-risk group, but I think she's still unnecessarily anxious about it as long as she exercises caution. She seems pretty intent on just staying home until this is over, but no one has any idea how long that's going to be.

A friend of mine who's an accountant believes this is going to cause a global recession and change the face of worldwide commerce.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
I want to stay home but there are times I gotta leave the house to get food or get books but that's now a huge risk factor now with what's going on in AZ.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
What was the last epidemic? Was it H1N1? I dont remember that being anywhere near as bad as this. As in the precautions, social distancing, and entire cities being shut down.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
What was the last epidemic? Was it H1N1? I dont remember that being anywhere near as bad as this. As in the precautions, social distancing, and entire cities being shut down.
Aside from the Spanish flu, I don't think anything like this has ever happened in America.

Living during times that are historic sure isn't fun.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
If there werent a bunch of toilet paper obsessed round earthers living among us, wed probably be much safer.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
H1N1 was contained in a way. That was because the people who headed nations were smart.

Then facism and capitalism came...

Aurica

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
giphy.gif

My mom is kinda freaking out too. She's over 70, has asthma and autoimmune hepatitis. She's definitely in the high-risk group, but I think she's still unnecessarily anxious about it as long as she exercises caution. She seems pretty intent on just staying home until this is over, but no one has any idea how long that's going to be.

A friend of mine who's an accountant believes this is going to cause a global recession and change the face of worldwide commerce.
I also believe this is going to drastically change the world for a while. I do really hope that your mom stays healthy through this. I'm worrying a lot about my friends and family with autoimmune issues. I'm not too worried about myself, but I need to be very careful so I don't put others at risk.

Deleted member 64377

user requested account closure
Banned
Mar 8, 2020
My mom has autoimmune issues too, so I'm worried about her. And she won't ask for help with anything, so the wife and I have kind of had to be proactive about having a shitload of groceries and other supplies delivered to her. We just tried to make sure she had plenty of everything she could possibly want or need, so she'd have no reason to go out.

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif

Damn. Hope everything goes ok. My parents are diabetic and they live in a country where people aren't taking anything seriously yet. No idea how it'll go.

One of my friends recently got a Kidney transplant. He's rather worried too.

Eleriu

The Fallen - Teyvat Traveler
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif

Hope everything goes okay. My mom has diabetes and COPD so I'm worried about her. A number of my family members have diabetes as well (genetics is fun), so it's stressful. As for myself this entire thing is making my anxiety act up a lot, so I've been trying to do other things like play games and read comics to get my mind off of it.

May 24, 2019
Trying to cancel a flight atm. Can't do it on the internet, so I'm here on hold for the rest of my life.
Got told that the job I was gonna go to Sydney for (editing TV for six weeks) might be able to be done remotely, so that's good news!

May 24, 2019
Is the call to another place in NZ? The country is small enough that maybe you should just lean out the window and shout.

Naw I edited more in, but I got a job offer in Sydney in Feb when this wasn't quite so wild. Was gonna be for six weeks starting April, but that's right out the window now that there's mandatory two-week isolation periods on both ends of the trip.
Good news is there's a possibility to do it remotely from here.

Last edited:

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
"A lot of people will have this, and it's very mild. They will get better very rapidly. They don't even see a doctor ..."

Status
Not open for further replies.