• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hipsterpants

Oct 25, 2017
WOTR is actually bad, maybe it's OK if you read all the tie-ins but holy crap it's like one of the emptiest stories I've ever read. It's like reading an outline to a story because all the details happen elsewhere. It's a really lame way to end his run and a damn shame he clearly spent so long building to it for us to get... that.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
WotR felt like it was always trying to sell you on the tie ins. Like Hipster said, a lot of the story took place in the actual tie in minis, so if you want to see what Cap and his team were doing, go read their mini, if you want to see Spider-man's team go read his mini.

Deleted member 64377

user requested account closure
Banned
Mar 8, 2020
I just don't like his Avengers right now. He has a good premise, but his delivery is weak right now on a lot of levels, and given his Thor, and his Astonishing Spider-Man and Wolverine, it's disappointing.
All great writers have a dud once in a while. Every single one. And it's a bummer when it happens, sure, but there are a lot of people acting like Aaron is over the hill now or something. Folks really overreact to the valleys in creators' careers. Hyperbole sucks.

Deleted member 64377

Banned
Mar 8, 2020
WOTR is actually bad, maybe it's OK if you read all the tie-ins but holy crap it's like one of the emptiest stories I've ever read. It's like reading an outline to a story because all the details happen elsewhere. It's a really lame way to end his run and a damn shame he clearly spent so long building to it for us to get... that.
WotR felt like it was always trying to sell you on the tie ins. Like Hipster said, a lot of the story took place in the actual tie in minis, so if you want to see what Cap and his team were doing, go read their mini, if you want to see Spider-man's team go read his mini.
Someone is going to be unhappy either way. It's just different people that are unhappy depending on the approach. If the tie-ins are inessential, the people who bought them complain about that, and if they are essential, the people who didn't buy them are the ones complaining instead.

I didn't read all the tie-ins, but I read all the ones by creators I like, and I had a good time. Everybody turned in the quality of work that makes me want to buy comics with their name on them.

Astro Cat

Mar 29, 2019
I heard this and its definitely what turns me off Wotr. But I only plan on reading things from good creators as a side story. Still sucks because otherwise I woud read them all.
Isn't Aaron's Jane Thor run the best Thor has ever done as a series?
I don't think anyone would disagree with this. I think it's leagues beyond Simonson Thor.

Deleted member 64377

Banned
Mar 8, 2020
I think some of the difference in opinion on some of these comics come from some of y'all reading like 50 times more current ongoing comics than I do. I think I'm just burnt out on less things.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I think some of the difference in opinion on some of these comics come from some of y'all reading like 50 times more current ongoing comics than I do. I think I'm just burnt out on less things.
this is definitely a thing that happens with video games and my readers. or even my friends i chat with video games about. especially video games, compared to comic books. partially because video games require such a bigger cost and time investment.

when i'm playing 50+ games a year and approach criticism where i'm generally seeing half of them as above average and half of them as below average, it just doesn't mesh with folk who buy 5 or even 10 games a year and know they'll like or love every one of them. except for the one that's more enjoyable to loathe in online forums.

Deleted member 64377

Banned
Mar 8, 2020
Shonen Jumps are okay tho
da9.gif

arcadepc

Banned
Dec 28, 2019
Reading the recent Ishuzoku Reviewers debacle, I remembered a known comic strip that did a much better job regarding the sex industry with both humor, satire and drama. Some volumes were published on a comics magazine of a leftist newspaper in my region

en.m.wikipedia.org

Clara de noche - Wikipedia

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
Damn, just read Millar's Prodigy.

7bBmGAD.jpg

It is some really weird mix of James Bond and Da Vinci Code and Fast and the Furious. By the end, I wasn't even wondering if it was some sort of satire or commentary or a throwback to a Doc Savage type of adventure or even a riff on exploitation films. It was just plain over the top fun. The second Millar book I've enjoyed in the last couple of years, what's going on...

DMNSn1f.jpg

I heard this and its definitely what turns me off Wotr. But I only plan on reading things from good creators as a side story. Still sucks because otherwise I woud read them all.

I don't think anyone would disagree with this. I think it's leagues beyond Simonson Thor.

Ooh. High praise. I have to come back to this run, had kinda stopped after God Bomb.

hipsterpants

Oct 25, 2017
We've had 2 cases of Coronavirus in my area, I'm pretty much just waiting day by day until things inevitably start getting shut down.

edit: my rule with Aaron's Thor is that if Roxxon or Roz is involved it's going to be bad, everything else (excluding WOTR) is good.

Canucked

Comics Council 2020 & Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I set up camp on the sofa. Snacks and drinks. Comics upon comics. Tokyo Mirage Sessions and Dead Cells. Blankets. My kittens came and cuddled up.

then I wasted the day watching garbage and texting and instagramming. It's like I can't get into my proper shut-in-vibe when it's allowed. I'm really good at it when society is functional though.

tim1138

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Watching Hobbs and Shaw and I forgot that Idris Elba's character has a Midnighter style fight computer. In other news there should be a Midnighter movie.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Once I finish reading Jam should I dive into 20th Century Boys or my ever expanding CMX backlog? TMNT is still waiting at vol. 7 for me.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Damn, just read Millar's Prodigy.

7bBmGAD.jpg

It is some really weird mix of James Bond and Da Vinci Code and Fast and the Furious. By the end, I wasn't even wondering if it was some sort of satire or commentary or a throwback to a Doc Savage type of adventure or even a riff on exploitation films. It was just plain over the top fun. The second Millar book I've enjoyed in the last couple of years, what's going on...

DMNSn1f.jpg

Ooh. High praise. I have to come back to this run, had kinda stopped after God Bomb.
Oh wow, that actually sounds like somethign I would enjoy. I wonder if this will be one of the properties that ends up getting a Netflix show.

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
All great writers have a dud once in a while. Every single one. And it's a bummer when it happens, sure, but there are a lot of people acting like Aaron is over the hill now or something. Folks really overreact to the valleys in creators' careers. Hyperbole sucks.
True. Duds happen. Avengers is a really long dud though. But damn it I can't stop reading.

Status
Not open for further replies.