• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
MEMES

ES8a3ffVAAAqA_j

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
aimless aside, if anyone else wants a Discord invite just shoot me a message!

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
How many of the Jim Lee Chris Claremont X-Men omnis are there? Is it just the two? Cant decide if I want to get them or not since I literally just read their entire run last year.

I didnt see the New Warriors reprint omni or the Thunderbolts omni in the Near Mint Advance previews for Oct and Nov. Maybe they are coming out in December, I just hope they make it out before Christmas.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
How many of the Jim Lee Chris Claremont X-Men omnis are there? Is it just the two? Cant decide if I want to get them or not since I literally just read their entire run last year.

I didnt see the New Warriors reprint omni or the Thunderbolts omni in the Near Mint Advance previews for Oct and Nov. Maybe they are coming out in December, I just hope they make it out before Christmas.

Two 'Lee' Omni's, but the X-Tinction Agenda event OHC sits right between them and is not collected in either. It's also really good and worth reading at the gap.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Tom King doing a Rorschach comic? Don't play with me, Tommy Boi.

I thought we would've had some Watchmen ongoings by 2017 when the Watchmen news leaked.

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
I know there were some portents in the thread about Slott's FF. I should have paid more attention and heeded the warnings. This is dire. Flatter than an open can of Mountain Dew left out overnight.

hipsterpants

Oct 25, 2017
They can claim delaying New Mutants is because of the Coronavirus, but we all know it's because Magik is too perfect and all the MCU X-Men casting will look like shit in comparison.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I just finished the first Criminal Deluxe Edition from Icon and, as y'all know. I absolutely love this series. It's surprising to me and I hope it's surprising to folk who have read my tastes. Criminal isn't about anything. It doesn't have a message, though it is deeply ingrained in the ideas of good and wrong and redemption and so on. I burn for messages, but Criminal actively avoids having a message. In fact, this first Deluxe even actively avoids having even conclusions. So much is left unsaid or unfinished both between the pages and at the end of each story. But that's also why I love it.

Criminal is all about characters. It's not enough to say these are broken people. These are broken people who have been placed into situations from which there's no returning. They change due to their situations. They've broken and are bending to accommodate their brokenness. And as the stories in the first Deluxe Edition show, there's no happy endings in store for these people. They looks for outs and opportunities, perceive the kinds of people they could be, the values they wished they espoused, but they aren't capable of attaining those things. They're ideas meant for people who aren't broken. For these characters, those ideas are a mirage. But really they all know that and they all know the truth in their hearts -- that they're just billiard balls rolling out the paths from which they're inevitably moving towards.

While it sounds like what could be the most depressing shit ever, that's where Brubaker's talent comes in. He takes what could just be viewed as a death march and turns it into something so intimate. He conveys the deepest thoughts, hopes, hatreds of these people's lives in a way that's honest, introspective, and so excellent at building empathy. That these individuals' fates are doomed matters so much less than being there with them.

Sean Phillips art does a great job of creating a realistic perspective for these stories while still maintaining a layer of the surreal so that it doesn't become disturbing. The result is incredible, though I'll admit that his more recent stuff is much more impressive than this earlier Criminal work.

What else can I say? Criminal isn't just a comic about heists. It's about people. Not necessarily so much different than anyone else. Surprisingly similar to each other in ways they'll never admit.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Do we have a date for the Black Science DLX Vol 3? If review copies are just coming in, its gotta be close right?

Status
Not open for further replies.