• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
Messi

Messi

I am leaving this community!
Oct 25, 2017
I'm considering maybe making my next comic purchase an omnibus. Never gotten one before, so might as well start now. But the question is...which one to start with. 🤔

Gotham Central is a beautiful book. Or Batman and Robin by Tomasi and Gleason is top tier Batman.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't heard shit from my college but I think it's happening.
It probably will, sounds like a bunch of them just announced today and im sure others are discussing it and trying to figure out how to get everyone set up for the online only classes. Plus, theres not even a confirmed case in my state yet, so this was not expected. Sounds like Summer classes will probably be the same.

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
Apocalypse will tell it to you straight, Xavier and Magneto come off like they'll you how we're Above This but then doing some fuck shit in the background.
Xavier's the idealist and by comparison I feel like Apocalypse is more pragmatic. He's not as much of an idealist as Xavier, but he clearly he as a vision of Krakoa. He's more of a pragmatic person. Magneto is constantly establishing the superiority angle because he knows what humans are capable of so he's scaring them and going "make a move. I dare you. We'll fuck you up." Apocalypse gives zero fucks and is just doing his own thing.

But to that end, he's also somehow the least shady, minus whatever's going on with Arakko and Excalibur. Magneto just comes off as so full of shit and Xavier is such an idealist as to be ignorant of the problems.
Freeza wishes this site had signatures.
Oh no
So Steve Orlando jumped to Mahvoo.
I bet Orlando would make a really good Quicksilver book
Excuse me. His name is M. Reddie. Please say it right.
This is true
I recently caught up on Immortal Hulk and Harleen, which were great. What are some recent(I have read a lot of older/famous graphic novels) arcs or comics that are as well done and also have a more psychological focus? I really like both series getting in depth into characters. I don't read too many recent ongoing comics besides the new Dawn of X or Hickman.
Shade the Changing Girl/Shade the Changing Woman was 2016-2018. Boy is that a trip

Wonder who he's talking about here

Colossus and Domino
Polygon actually got the alternate pages drawn, if fans had voted for Jason Todd to survive.

Dope.

Remember how Dick was just supposed to go into a coma and Tim was supposed to be Nightwing while he healed? I'm upset.
Recently,
An announced but never made Blade series from like 2015.
I miss this. This was Tim Seeley right? Man this was so cool. Man quick someone needs to pull the pitched concept art for Blade's daughter because that was fucking cool.
I'm considering maybe making my next comic purchase an omnibus. Never gotten one before, so might as well start now. But the question is...which one to start with. 🤔
I just picked up Gail Simone's Wonder Woman and it is gooooooorgeoussssss

And also an outstanding run of superhero comics. One of my absolute favorites and I only read it for the first time this past Christmas season. Legit top 5.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Yo, WVU is having us all switch to online classes after spring break next week lol.
Soon.
250px-Surrogates_new_cover.gif

Eleriu

The Fallen - Teyvat Traveler
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Astonishing X-Men Omnibus from Whedon and Cassaday is getting reprinted really soon (April 8 on IST). It's standalone, is one of the best Marvel stories ever told, and is a must-have for any collection. Highly recommended.

It will sell out quick tho, but if you get it as soon as it goes up you'll get 50% off, which will be just $50, and you'll get free shipping!
I'll have class all day on the day it releases unless my college closes in the next month due to the virus.
Gotham Central is a beautiful book. Or Batman and Robin by Tomasi and Gleason is top tier Batman.
Noted thanks!
I just picked up Gail Simone's Wonder Woman and it is gooooooorgeoussssss

And also an outstanding run of superhero comics. One of my absolute favorites and I only read it for the first time this past Christmas season. Legit top 5.
That one looks great and is a consideration.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
All done with Batman: The Golden Age Omnibus Vol. 1. the final third of the book was definitely the least interesting of it. Very thin on interesting changes or additions, plus a clear trend toward moral lessons over pulpy action and mystery. Very formulaic, which is to be expected and probably only gets worse through the rest of the golden age.

Scarecrow was added toward the end of this book, which was fun. He was a book-loving teacher who was teased for his shabby clothes. He decided to threaten and kill people for more money for more books, scaring them with his Scarecrow guise. Meanwhile, a fear toxin did crop up but not related to Scarecrow. Joker also dropped a riddle. Seeds for ideas that will crop up in the future.

Batman didn't get any new tools in this final bit of the book, but he did trade in his normal car Batmobile (which swapped between red and blue issue to issue) for a silly-looking new Batmobile with the traditional batwing-like flares on the back and a big Batman face on the front. Just like the Batplane (that could turn into a boat!). Batman even mostly stopped using the choking gas pellets from his toolbelt.

The book heavily suffers from the most recurring villain being just generic mobsters. There's no depth to these characters or their motivations. They rob banks, do protection rackets, and constantly plot to steal jewels and stock and shit from the rich. And apparently breed like rabbits. The only thing worse than them is the racist caricatures, mostly of Asians. I don't think there's been a speaking role for a black character yet. Incredibly sad stuff to reflect on.

One thing I am surprised by is the continued deaths. Mobsters and rich victims die in quantity book to book. Batman himself is rarely directly involved in the deaths any more (tho he does still punch dudes off buildings/trains/etc. from time to time). I keep waiting for this stuff to stop, but maybe it stays through the Golden Age?

Really interesting overall, given I know very little about this era from comics. I'll admit I've found I have less emotional sentimentality for it than I expected, though. I mentioned in a different post about the book how much I genuinely care about and enjoy early Spider-Man. Not so much Batman, I guess.

edit: backlog RNG has picked the Brubaker Criminal Deluxe Editions! oh shit yes.

Last edited:

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
Don't forget the The Kitchen movie.
IPxcnN0.jpg
mE5bEzt.jpg

Vertigo movies are cursed.
The shit is this
Scarecrow was added toward the end of this book, which was fun. He was a book-loving teacher who was teased for his shabby clothes. He decided to threaten and kill people for more money for more books, scaring them with his Scarecrow guise. Meanwhile, a fear toxin did crop up but not related to Scarecrow.
...huh

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
I refuse to believe either of those actresses can do that. But the same thing got said about Heath Ledger playing the Joker over a decade ago.

Also Love is Blind is killing me and I should read comics, but I can't stop watching.

May 24, 2019
McCarthy was good in that movie where she's forging famous letters. Kitchen's problems were probably on the script and direction if I had to guess.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
All done with Batman: The Golden Age Omnibus Vol. 1. the final third of the book was definitely the least interesting of it. Very this on interesting changes or additions, plus a clear trend toward moral lessons over pulpy action and mystery. Very formulaic, which is to be expected and probably only gets worse through the rest of the golden age.

Scarecrow was added toward the end of this book, which was fun. He was a book-loving teacher who was teased for his shabby clothes. He decided to threaten and kill people for more money for more books, scaring them with his Scarecrow guise. Meanwhile, a fear toxin did crop up but not related to Scarecrow. Joker also dropped a riddle. Seeds for ideas that will crop up in the future.

Batman didn't get any new tools in this final bit of the book, but he did trade in his normal car Batmobile (which swapped between red and blue issue to issue) for a silly-looking new Batmobile with the traditional batwing-like flares on the back and a big Batman face on the front. Just like the Batplane (that could turn into a boat!). Batman even mostly stopped using the choking gas pellets from his toolbelt.

The book heavily suffers from the most recurring villain being just generic mobsters. There's no depth to these characters or their motivations. They rob banks, do protection rackets, and constantly plot to steal jewels and stock and shit from the rich. And apparently breed like rabbits. The only thing worse than them is the racist caricatures, mostly of Asians. I don't think there's been a speaking role for a black character yet. Incredibly sad stuff to reflect on.

One thing I am surprised by is the continued deaths. Mobsters and rich victims die in quantity book to book. Batman himself is rarely directly involved in the deaths any more (tho he does still punch dudes off buildings/trains/etc. from time to time). I keep waiting for this stuff to stop, but maybe it stays through the Golden Age?

Really interesting overall, given I know very little about this era from comics. I'll admit I've found I have less emotional sentimentality for it than I expected, though. I mentioned in a different post about the book how much I genuinely care about and enjoy early Spider-Man. Not so much Batman, I guess.

edit: backlog RNG has picked the Brubaker Criminal Deluxe Editions! oh shit yes.
Truly insane how fast you read that. Impressed.

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

I am leaving this community!
Oct 25, 2017
I read The Kitchen as it came out. That book isn't good.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
You don't read comics. Only collect them

It's been my head canon for all these years and hasn't changed
I don't even do a good job collecting them. Haven't made an IST order is two months.

Will say this, though. I just counted my DC omnis, of which there are 45, and I've only not read 4 of them. 65 DC deluxe editions and haven't read three of them.

Now, Marvel, I have 22 omnis and haven't read 8 of them.

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
I don't even do a good job collecting them. Haven't made an IST order is two months.

Will say this, though. I just counted my DC omnis, of which there are 45, and I've only not read 4 of them. 65 DC deluxe editions and haven't read three of them.

tumblr_onopxfVDXt1u0bi6jo1_250.gif

Gods do bleed

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
As someone who has met Tommy Wiseau twice, I think this is very funny. That's exactly how I described him. An alien.
I used to read comics fast once upon a time. Sometimes I still do, but lately I've been in a rut.
Me, too. Like 4 months or so now.
Hahaha. I say this probably like once a week and have for a long time, and it's all because of Greg.

bluexy

Verified
Oct 25, 2017

that's pretty good. pretty pretty good. i wish my backlog was below 20. my reading's already booked for 2020, i'm pretty sure.

bluexy

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Ah fuck. Criminal is so good, y'all. So good.

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
So wait if Illyana's Soulsword isn't with her then what sword that's all blue and glowy and summoned on command is she using

Status
Not open for further replies.