• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Would you recommend flashpoint absolute?
flashpoint's in that weird spot where an omnibus is really inevitable, but DC hasn't pulled the trigger. the absolute is really thin. like only 6 issues. so if you really want to collect just the main event, it's the best available collected edition. who's to say if dc will ever get around to offering it in any other format, either.

May 24, 2019
Would you recommend flashpoint absolute?

flashpoint's in that weird spot where an omnibus is really inevitable, but DC hasn't pulled the trigger. the absolute is really thin. like only 6 issues. so if you really want to collect just the main event, it's the best available collected edition. who's to say if dc will ever get around to offering it in any other format, either.

That'd be a bad omni. Other than Flashpoint Batman and maybe Frankenstein, the tie-ins are trashola.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
I love IST but goddamn do I wish they'd ship shit faster. It's dumb that an order with 3 new books made on the 4th still haven't shipped.

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
Got my Simone WW omni!

Praise the deities!
MARIKO TAMAKI ON WW STARTING AT #759, JANIN ON ART

janin is gonna do some cool action with fancy layouts and it's gonna make Wonder Woman pop off in a way it hasn't popped off in a minute
Damn this seems like it might be very accurate, but also the last few Tamaki books that I read that weren't Being Super have been like a disappointment. Hulk and X-23. So I mean...but also if Janin brings that Grayson game then...

I'm conflicted. It's definitely the only time I've been interested in solo WW that wasn't Simone
I'm kinda bummed out having read the last issue of WW. Dude brought back Devastation. That is some deep cut lore, and I'm behind anyone who loves a hero enough to do research and write something like that.
Orlando always about them deep cuts. His JLA was deep cuts: the book.
Sounds like Marquez is off Batman Superman. I wonder where he's going? Flash maybe?
Bummer. He's too good on that book.
YOU KNOW IT, B

And he looks sick! That flip was totally Spidey too. He seems like a powerhouse in this. Like I'm not imagining things, am I? It seems like he was just kicking everyone's ass.

I hope his dialogue is on point. Only remaining concern.
It seems like he'll be silent. They make him out to be the dude at the head of the program. "Watchful assassin" type.

I read basically every Marvel comic but I mostly talk about Tony here because it's sort of my specialty. I do talk about Magik a lot too though she is my next favorite. Also a big fan of Robbe Reyes.

I REALLY like Aikku Jokinen but she never gets page time anymore.
I know you dig X-23 my guy

May 24, 2019

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
He is obviously the third snake.

1df2bcf23c27736be0a3bac79c36ff0648a3aaf4.gif

🐍 🐍 🐍 🐍​

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
But stuff like Promethea was blink-and-you'll-miss-it underused. It was just hype.
And remember the team he teased at the end, never to be seen again?
Kinda

That book was really blah. Fantastic team dynamic, and chemistry. Insanely boring everything else. Ray and Lobo and Atom and Black Canary and Vixen and Killer Frost all bouncing off each other was great. He writes Bats like an asshole. Then he brought in a new Aztek. Dope dynamics. He did some cool power stuff. Insanely boring plotting and action and just blah.

Inconsistent art didn't help it.

Classicrock78

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
San Antonio
Personally I recommend very few absolutes. I think in most cases, a regular hardcover is perfectly adequate unless you really, really like a specific run/series. The last one I bought was Absolute Scarlet by Bendis/Maleev.

🐍 🐍 🐍​
Ok cool, there's the trade paper back box set aswell for 57.99,and was hoping for an omnibus but I read it's highly unlikely for some reason.

May 24, 2019
Ok cool, there's the trade paper back box set aswell for 57.99,and was hoping for an omnibus but I read it's highly unlikely for some reason.

You do not need all of the tie ins. Believe.
FP Batman and that's it.

And get it in the shittiest second hand torn up TPB you can find.
Your money deserves better than Flashpoint.

Last edited:

bluexy

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
That'd be a bad omni. Other than Flashpoint Batman and maybe Frankenstein, the tie-ins are trashola.
i don't doubt it, but so are most events' tie-ins.
i'm all but certain we'll get one in the next couple years. it's a big event that's popular. there's a big flash movie coming up. and DC does omnibi for all its big core events. the reason there isn't one right now is because they went with the absolute first.

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
Just flipping through it to stretch it out and the, Simone WW omni has a couple issues at the back end that aren't in the trades and apprently that's where Peony comes from. So the #750 was not just a new character in that story.

Huh.

Buttzerker

Powerhouse Protector / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Got my Simone WW omni!

Praise the deities!

Damn this seems like it might be very accurate, but also the last few Tamaki books that I read that weren't Being Super have been like a disappointment. Hulk and X-23. So I mean...but also if Janin brings that Grayson game then...

I'm conflicted. It's definitely the only time I've been interested in solo WW that wasn't Simone

Orlando always about them deep cuts. His JLA was deep cuts: the book.

Bummer. He's too good on that book.

It seems like he'll be silent. They make him out to be the dude at the head of the program. "Watchful assassin" type.

I know you dig X-23 my guy

X-23 too yeah!

Also I don't think he is heading the Red Room or will be silent. His scenes all have the sound muted and covered with music, and I think Melina is lying about him running the Red Room in order to throw Nat off her trail

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
The flower kid? Yeah. She was in some previous WW Anniversary.

Edit:
Wonder Woman 75th Anniversary Special #1
(December, 2016)
Yeah that got included in the omni
X-23 too yeah!

Also I don't think he is heading the Red Room or will be silent. His scenes all have the sound muted and covered with music, and I think Melina is lying about him running the Red Room in order to throw Nat off her trail
I'm in the same boat as you where I'm hoping he has more personality, but I'm afraid he might not. That trailer thread kills me though with those speculations .

bluexy

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I'll probably be about 2/3 of the way through the Batman: The Golden Age Omnibus Vol. 1 by the end of the night. It's absolutely getting annoyingly repetitive. I've gotten into a rhythm of glazing over fight-scene dialogue and narrative bubbles that just reexplain the panel. It moves a whole lot faster that way and I haven't missed anything significant yet.

Two things I'm really surprised by are how many unique villains there are and how many times the Joker has cropped up. There are all manner of weird ganster type villains, most of them dying in lame ways at the end of their issues in some horrible way. One guy even snatched a gun and killed himself rather than let Batman take hiim to jail. Batman said it was better this way... Joker's stories are often the best ones. He has such odd ideas, is needlessly awful due to his own greed, and tends to give as good as he gets. Catwoman's still the only other villain (Hugo Strange twice in one Batman issue, Clayface named but not yet back) to make multiple appearances -- she even kissed Batman to stun him and escape this last issue. Batman kept talking about "romance" after, even though he's still engaged. Hmm.

There's been absolutely no development in any regard since those first couple issues, since Batman #1 really. It's still just Batman + Robin fighting w/e villains they stumble upon. Batman still has the same tools available -- his belt of gas pellets, rope, a blue (was red in the first issues) expensive car, and his bat-plane/copter. Each new issue is like a 10+ page opportunity to introduce something new and I'm almost always disappointed.

I'm definitely already dreaming of getting to another book, but I'm going to stick it out for sure. I also think I'll set a rule that I don't read any more of my Golden Age books until reading at least 5-10 other books in-between.

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
I'll probably be about 2/3 of the way through the Batman: The Golden Age Omnibus Vol. 1 by the end of the night. It's absolutely getting annoyingly repetitive. I've gotten into a rhythm of glazing over fight-scene dialogue and narrative bubbles that just reexplain the panel. It moves a whole lot faster that way and I haven't missed anything significant yet.

Two things I'm really surprised by are how many unique villains there are and how many times the Joker has cropped up. There are all manner of weird ganster type villains, most of them dying in lame ways at the end of their issues in some horrible way. One guy even snatched a gun and killed himself rather than let Batman take hiim to jail. Batman said it was better this way... Joker's stories are often the best ones. He has such odd ideas, is needlessly awful due to his own greed, and tends to give as good as he gets. Catwoman's still the only other villain (Hugo Strange twice in one Batman issue) to make multiple appearances -- she even kissed Batman to stun him and escape this last issue. Batman kept talking about "romance" after, even though he's still engaged. Hmm.

There's been absolutely no development in any regard since those first couple issues, since Batman #1 really. It's still just Batman + Robin fighting w/e villains they stumble upon. Batman still has the same tools available -- his belt of gas pellets, rope, a blue (was red in the first issues) expensive car, and his bat-plane/copter. Each new issue is like a 10+ page opportunity to introduce something new and I'm almost always disappointed.

I'm definitely already dreaming of getting to another book, but I'm going to stick it out for sure. I also think I'll set a rule that I don't read any more of my Golden Age books until reading at least 5-10 other books in-between.
You don't have to finish it. You can just go. Sunk cost fallacy.

Also I don't think Joker became the major villain as we know until Neal Adams got ahold of him. Like he was definitely one of the more popular ones but not nearly as major.

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

I am leaving this community!
Oct 25, 2017
Just flipping through it to stretch it out and the, Simone WW omni has a couple issues at the back end that aren't in the trades and apprently that's where Peony comes from. So the #750 was not just a new character in that story.

Huh.

Star Blossom. She's Gail's creation

Buttzerker

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah that got included in the omni

I'm in the same boat as you where I'm hoping he has more personality, but I'm afraid he might not. That trailer thread kills me though with those speculations .

I'm a bit afraid too but my confidence ties into the fact I think he's gonna be in a lot of movies, so they're gonna give him some Gail Simone-ass shit-talking I hope.

bluexy

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
You don't have to finish it. You can just go. Sunk cost fallacy.

Also I don't think Joker became the major villain as we know until Neal Adams got ahold of him. Like he was definitely one of the more popular ones but not nearly as major.
I still appreciate the experience even if I'm not enjoying it. Generally speaking, I enjoy media regardless of whether it's good or bad. The problem with this Golden Age stuff isn't t hat it's bad, though. It's just quite tedious. But yeah, I still value it and still want to finish it very much. Hope my updates aren't conveying that I don't think it's worth reading.

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
I'm a bit afraid too but my confidence ties into the fact I think he's gonna be in a lot of movies, so they're gonna give him some Gail Simone-ass shit-talking I hope.
I like the type of shit talk you described and am even more all for it. I haven't read her Deadpool/Agent X stuff
I still appreciate the experience even if I'm not enjoying it. Generally speaking, I enjoy media regardless of whether it's good or bad. The problem with this Golden Age stuff isn't t hat it's bad, though. It's just quite tedious. But yeah, I still value it and still want to finish it very much. Hope my updates aren't conveying that I don't think it's worth reading.
Oh no. I'm in the same boat as you, but I honestly probably couldn't finish it.

Buttzerker

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I like the type of shit talk you described and am even more all for it. I haven't read her Deadpool/Agent X stuff

Oh no. I'm in the same boat as you, but I honestly probably couldn't finish it.

Oh man, Taskmaster is a fucking GEM in Simone books. It almost, ALMOST redeemed the crappy Udon costume for me:

779a28ce552a0012826264c92fd9410e.jpg

RCO010.jpg

Buttzerker

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's not really collected on CMX. I think Agent X is, but her Deadpool isn't. How many issues did she do?

Out of the 15 issue run of Agent X, I think she did 11 or 12 issues. I couldn't tell you about Deadpool, though.

Also, while I like seeing Tony be badass, the most interesting thing about Gail's run was she showed how much of an insecure dick he could be and gave him real character growth. He spends the first half of the series super jealous and petty towards Alex because of his relationship with Sandi before finally growing out of it.

RCO021.jpg

Buttzerker

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh hey speaking of me trying to talk more about non Tasky shit

Am I insane or does Marvel have NO IDEA what the fuck they are doing with Dr. Doom? I swear to god he's a completely different character in every book. I feel like ever since Infamous Iron Man wrapped up they've got absolutely 0 editorial mandate about him so his appearances swing wildly from "reformed hero" to "full on comical evil" to in between. Dude alternates between coldly executing one of Silver Sable's friends to playing nice with Spider-Man and it's baffling.

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017

Am I insane or does Marvel have NO IDEA what the fuck they are doing with Dr. Doom? I swear to god he's a completely different character in every book. I feel like ever since Infamous Iron Man wrapped up they've got absolutely 0 editorial mandate about him so his appearances swing wildly from "reformed hero" to "full on comical evil" to in between. Dude alternates between coldly executing one of Silver Sable's friends to playing nice with Spider-Man and it's baffling.
Zdarsky did a good job with him in 2-in-One. Two-in-1? Anyways, Zdarsky did a good job there. Yeah I dunno. He seems super Silver Age villain in X-Men/Fantastic Four which throws me off so hard it makes it unappealing.

Buttzerker

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Zdarsky did a good job with him in 2-in-One. Two-in-1? Anyways, Zdarsky did a good job there. Yeah I dunno. He seems super Silver Age villain in X-Men/Fantastic Four which throws me off so hard it makes it unappealing.

Yeah his own book is the worst about this. He swings from Infamous Iron Man to Silver Age within the same issue.

Also, Blue Marvel being hyped up for five issues and then jobbing to having Silver Sable thrown at him at, like, moderate speed was baffling and annoying.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017

Doom is however the writer wants to use him pretty much and I don't think that's a new thing.

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017

Two things I'm really surprised by are how many unique villains there are and how many times the Joker has cropped up. There are all manner of weird ganster type villains, most of them dying in lame ways at the end of their issues in some horrible way. One guy even snatched a gun and killed himself rather than let Batman take hiim to jail. Batman said it was better this way... Joker's stories are often the best ones. He has such odd ideas, is needlessly awful due to his own greed, and tends to give as good as he gets. Catwoman's still the only other villain (Hugo Strange twice in one Batman issue, Clayface named but not yet back) to make multiple appearances -- she even kissed Batman to stun him and escape this last issue. Batman kept talking about "romance" after, even though he's still engaged. Hmm.

Of all the Golden Age comics I have tried, the only one that stuck with me is Plastic Man.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Looks like the reprinted Bendis DD omnis are about to be out of stock on Amazon, and they dont have the more on the way soon tag on them. Just crazy to me, especially when the Brubaker ones from a few years ago are still in stock.

Was just checking out the contents of the Shadowland omni to see if it had all of Diggle's run included, when I noticed it.

Huggy

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like the reprinted Bendis DD omnis are about to be out of stock on Amazon, and they dont have the more on the way soon tag on them. Just crazy to me, especially when the Brubaker ones from a few years ago are still in stock.

Was just checking out the contents of the Shadowland omni to see if it had all of Diggle's run included, when I noticed it.

Someone from IST came onto the Omnibus facebook group the other day and left this message

"

Dear InStockTrades Customers:

Daredevil by Bendis & Maleev Omnibus HC Volumes 01 & 02 show an estimated back in stock date of April 8th through our distributor's website so we believe that we will receive more stock around that time. Thank you for your time!"

So keep an eye out around then and they should hopefully have more this time.

Canucked

Comics Council 2020 & Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Canada

The original set of Bendis omnis sold faster than the Brubaker set as well. But marvel usually prints stuff for at least three to four months (for as long as it's active on the seasonal catalog) as long as they keep getting enough orders for it.

bluexy

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Doho, Batman says for the first time "Remember, we never kill with weapons of any kind!" While he and Robin are fighting pirates with swords. Batman #4.

Apr 11, 2018
Sweden
I've recently picked up Marvel Comic Books more. Im invested in the MCU to the point of it being an obbession, and I figured I could widen my view. I finished Civil War II, World War Hulk (And the What if World War Hulk story), Ultimate Spider-Man #1, Infinity Gauntley and currently reading Infinity War.

Which should I gun for next? I've been looking at Secret Wars, Avengers vs X-Men, the rest of Ultimate Spider-Man, Civil War 1, Hawkeye (The one with Kate), Ms Marvel and Moon Knight. Obviously I'd love to read stuff that has already been in the movies, but I'd love to read stuff that future installments might base their stories around (Like the Hawkeye show with the Hawkeye comics, even though it will be mostly different, its based around it)

Any recommendations? :)

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
I just realized. Magik doesn't carry around her soul sword any more.

Cause it's literally her soul. Like she's the only X-person who can go "Yeah, me is still here."

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
I've recently picked up Marvel Comic Books more. Im invested in the MCU to the point of it being an obbession, and I figured I could widen my view. I finished Civil War II, World War Hulk (And the What if World War Hulk story), Ultimate Spider-Man #1, Infinity Gauntley and currently reading Infinity War.

Which should I gun for next? I've been looking at Secret Wars, Avengers vs X-Men, the rest of Ultimate Spider-Man, Civil War 1, Hawkeye (The one with Kate), Ms Marvel and Moon Knight. Obviously I'd love to read stuff that has already been in the movies, but I'd love to read stuff that future installments might base their stories around (Like the Hawkeye show with the Hawkeye comics, even though it will be mostly different, its based around it)

Did you read Planet Hulk before World War Hulk? That one's awesome.

Ms Marvel is very good. Unbeatable Squirrel Girl and Unbelievable Gwenpool are some of the greatest comics in the last few years. (Though the art on Squirrel Girl has been a bit divisive...)

R0b1n

Jun 29, 2018

It can't get too much worse from there
Moon Knight's modern stuff is pretty good, check out Ellis' and Lemire's run. If you don't mind older issues the Moench run should be on marvel unlimited and it's really good
As for Ms Marvel, read GWW's run. She's relatively new so that's pretty much her only one but that run has pretty great reviews

What MCU characters are you particularly interested in? It's easier to recommend based on that

Status
Not open for further replies.