• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Ugh. I am wanting them to and dreading them doing this for Lone Wolf & Cub.
Oh shit that would be awesome. Dark Horse also did Blade of the Immortal too right?? I would kill for those in this format.

How is Hellsing? Im sure ive seen parts of the anime, but it wasnt something that I sought out at the time.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Gonna get rid of some manga this week. Stuff I don't read anymore but I don't want to throw out, so to the library it goes.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Vol. 9 of Batman Golden Age? How many more volumes could there be left?
i'm guessing they'll do another 2 after Vol. 9, up to issue 100 and mid-1956. Then comes Silver Age and another 12+ Omnibi. Then maybe another 12+ Bronze Age. Gonna take awhile at one book a year, lol.

May 24, 2019
They could start it at the start of the comics code, which would be BM #90. That'd be one more volume?

Kick it off with this classic:
xdO6EuX.jpg

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
So I missed out on the whole court of owls Batman stuff. Worth buying the trades? Any particular edition I should get if so?

May 24, 2019
So I missed out on the whole court of owls Batman stuff. Worth buying the trades? Any particular edition I should get if so?

Nah. Just get the trade and read Scott Snyder's entire run. It leads up to what he did in his Justice League run, and what he has coming up.

edit: Well, stick on if you like it. The point is don't skip around the storylines. They all build.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
I loved the cartoon when I was a kid but a year or so back I watched some clips on Youtube and...uh...it didn't age well.

May 24, 2019
We should prob limit titles to stuff vaguely referring to comics. Nobody's gonna remember that tweet in three weeks lol

Classicrock78

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
San Antonio
I hate that now that I'm just getting into omnibuse,the ones I want are no longer being made like the avengers and fantastic four omnibus vol 1&2 by Jonathan Hickman,annihilation conquest ,wolverine by Mark Miller.

bluexy

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I hate that now that I'm just getting into omnibuse,the ones I want are no longer being made like the avengers and fantastic four omnibus vol 1&2 by Jonathan Hickman,annihilation conquest ,wolverine by Mark Miller.
it's a pain. i went through the same mood. tortured myself about tracking down good deals on whales for a bit. but there are so many good books coming out and being reprinted that it's easy to stop stressing over OOP books, given time.

stuff does eventually get reprinted -- now more than ever. just a matter of being patient.

Classicrock78

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
San Antonio
it's a pain. i went through the same mood. tortured myself about tracking down good deals on whales for a bit. but there are so many good books coming out and being reprinted that it's easy to stop stressing over OOP books, given time.

stuff does eventually get reprinted -- now more than ever. just a matter of being patient.
Yea I agree i need to be patient thank you,I did get lucky and get the uncanny xforce omnibus,and will be getting the astonishing xmen omnibus,and the infinity gauntlet omnibus aswell.

AbsoluteZero0K

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 6, 2019
For a noob like me, what exactly is an omnibus, and what are the pros and cons of getting one as opposed to singles/trades/collections?

Thanks in advance.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
For a noob like me, what exactly is an omnibus, and what are the pros and cons of getting one as opposed to singles/trades/collections?

Thanks in advance.
They're hard cover editions that have a bunch of issues, usually it's multiple trades worth. They also tend to be a bit larger than you're normal trade.

Because of this, some people like to collect these above all the other editions since they're the highest quality.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017

Thanks in advance.
An omnibus is a collection of, usually, an entire series, or completed run by a specific set of creators. Some of these can be so big as to take several books, like Grant Morrison's Batman run, or Geoff Johns Green Lantern. They do tend to be a bit unwieldy sometimes when they get into the 800+ page range. I've seen some that are 1400 pages, and that's just too much for one book in my opinion. They're also often fairly pricey. Most range from $75 to $150. But Instocktrades is a lifesaver and if you buy one at release, it's usually 50% off.
Btw, who is Dakota North? If theres like a surprise twist, dont tell me.
Matt slept with her in the Bendis run. Or what is Brubaker? One of those!

May 24, 2019
It's fun to own comics as tomes that sit perilously on your groaning shelves, and know that it's more than likely they'll crash down on your stupid head, ending your dumb childish hobby for good.

AbsoluteZero0K

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 6, 2019
An omnibus is a collection of, usually, an entire series, or completed run by a specific set of creators. Some of these can be so big as to take several books, like Grant Morrison's Batman run, or Geoff Johns Green Lantern. They do tend to be a bit unwieldy sometimes when they get into the 800+ page range. I've seen some that are 1400 pages, and that's just too much for one book in my opinion. They're also often fairly pricey. Most range from $75 to $150. But Instocktrades is a lifesaver and if you buy one at release, it's usually 50% off.

Matt slept with her in the Bendis run. Or what is Brubaker? One of those!
They're hard cover editions that have a bunch of issues, usually it's multiple trades worth. They also tend to be a bit larger than you're normal trade.

Because of this, some people like to collect these above all the other editions since they're the highest quality.

Ah, they're ENTIRE RUNS! That makes sense. I have a friend who is a big fan of Geoff Johns Green Lanern.

I try to focus on...plot lines? Like, my friend says that if I want to get into GL, I should start with "Blackest Night."

I've read Long Halloween, Batman: Year One. The Killing Joke. Don't own them though. Need to fix that.

IDK what I'd do with ENTIRE RUNS though. I do own the four Christopher Priest Black Panther collections and recently got started with Hudlin's.

Eleriu

The Fallen - Teyvat Traveler
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Thanks in advance.
An omnibus is a Stormlight Archive book basically. Thick tomes that collect entire runs and sometimes they can be released in multiple tomes depending on what it is.

bluexy

Verified
Oct 25, 2017

Thanks in advance.
No problem at all! So the perks of an omnibus are threefold.

1.) They're often comprehensive. They'll collect the bulk of an event, a series, or an author's work very often in reading order. Only trade paperbacks are really comparable in this regard, but you end up having to collect a lot of trades and they're not always in reading order when there are crossovers, events, or tie-ins.

2.) Omnibi have oversized art. You get about 1/4 more space overall for art. This isn't important for all books, but for stuff with great art or stories you love it's invaluable. OHC (over-sized hardcovers) are comparable in size, but are much less comprehensive. They cover maybe 6-18 issues where omnibi can collect 30-50. OHCs are good for short stories, though, like Watchmen, Batman: The Dark Knight, or Marvels.

3.) They're built to last and collectible. Being hardcovers, they're much less prone to spurious damage like a trade paperback can be. They're also almost always in demand, so even after buying one (at IST prices mind, which are 40-50% off in the USA), you can sell it at the very least for a very good price. In the best case, the book goes Out of Print and you can sell them for 2-5x what you paid for. There's nothing really comparable in this regard. TPBs and standard-sized hardcovers don't hold their value well. Even OHCs can be hard to resell, as they aren't as in-demand and often get made into omnibi anyway.

They also look really good on a shelf.

Last edited:

AbsoluteZero0K

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 6, 2019
No problem at all! So the perks of an omnibus are threefold.

1.) They're often comprehensive. They'll collect the bulk of an event, a series, or an author's work very often in reading order. Only trade paperbacks are really comparable in this regard, but you end up having to collect a lot of trades and they're not always in reading order when there are crossovers, events, or tie-ins.

2.) Omnibi have oversized art. You get about 1/4 more space overall for art. This isn't important for all books, but for stuff with great art or stories you love it's invaluable. OHC (over-sized hardcovers) are comparable in size, but are much less comprehensive. They cover maybe 6-18 issues where omnibi can collect 30-50. OHCs are good for short stories, though, like Watchmen, Batman: The Dark Knight, or Marvels.

3.) They're built to last and collectible. Being hardcovers, they're much less prone to spurious damage like a trade paperback can be. They're also almost always in demand, so even after buying one (at IST prices mind, which are 40-50% off in the USA), you can sell it at the very least for a very good price. In the best case, the book goes Out of Print and you can sell them for 2-5x what you paid for. There's nothing really comparable in this regard. TPBs and standard-sized hardcovers don't hold their value well. Even OHCs can be hard to resell, as they aren't as in-demand and often get made into omnibi anyway.

They also look really good on a shelf.

Excellent. I'll look into OHCs to upgrade my Watchmen graphic novel. Also, I was collecting the individual Marvels at one point, but donated them. I'll consider reassembling them.

The issue with that is that Blackest Night is pretty deep into Johns run. And I think Johns GL is like three omnibuses in all. Sinestro Corps. War is much earlier and also very good.

It was a "if I don't read anything else GL before I die, what should I read" situation.

bluexy

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
So I'm through the early Detective Comics issues and have read the first actual Batman issue. I've got to say the Bill Finger issues are notably better than the early Gardner Fox stuff. Finger tends to build up some tension in the story with much more grounded villains and better characterization. The influence of pulpy detective comics and the Shadow are super obvious in Finger's stuff. Gardner prefers much more formulaic structure, little character work, and a lot more racism.

Both writers love to kill a gangster, though. I'm really surprised how many people die in these early books. And most of them die explicitly because Batman decides to let them or hits/pushes them into a state where they'll "accidentally" die. They're all gangsters or villains of some sort, of course. I think there's only been one panel where Batman had a gun. He uses a handful of gun-shaped tools tho.

The stories so far aren't awful. They're simple, though. Very simple. There's only some light depth in the form of returning characters like Jim Gordon. Both the Joker and Dr. Strange have both been introduced, too. I'm also curious about Bruce's fiance Julia. What I care most about is how the things I'm familiar with are introduced bit by bit; how so much of the characterization and the art references I know from the modern area stem from this era.

While I'm enjoying it so far, I won't lie. These aren't stories I'd read if they weren't Batman. I genuinely enjoy the Stan Lee early Spider-Man of the 60s. But this early 40s stuff... it's got a couple decades of work to do.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
And on a shittier note

Londoners laughing at the North being underfunded. No wonder the country is so fucked. 🤢

Farthest north I went in England was Leeds, where I stayed with a friend for the weekend last year before jumping up to Edinburgh. Is Northern England pretty different from Yorkshire even?
I try to focus on...plot lines? Like, my friend says that if I want to get into GL, I should start with "Blackest Night."
I gotta disagree with your friend, too. All of Johns' run is great fun. I definitely recommend starting from the beginning of his run. You don't wanna miss Sinestro Corps War.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
It was a "if I don't read anything else GL before I die, what should I read" situation.

I'll also agree with those above that Johns' earlier stuff beats out Blackest Night. Especially Sinestro Corps War as mentioned.

Blackest Night is fine, but it is a payoff event from a few years worth of story-building, and that missing context wouldn't resonate as well diving in blind in such a later part of his storyline.

Status
Not open for further replies.