• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 24, 2019
It was good when Jeff Lemire was doing it. Start with the "The Valiant" mini.

List:
BATMANS GRAVE #6
DECORUM #1
GREEN LANTERN SEASON 2 #2
IMMORTAL HULK #32
SUPERMAN #21
TERRIFICS #26
THOR #4
X-MEN #8
YEAR OF THE VILLAIN HELL ARISEN #3
YOUNG JUSTICE #14

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

I am leaving this community!
Oct 25, 2017
I'm trying to be more frugal with what I follow. If NGL is a mostly one-to-one adaptation I'd rather watch the anime and save my money.

I'm even donating my JoJo hardcovers to the library because I'm just gonna watch the anime from now. At least until Steel Ball Run at any rate.

It's pretty much one to one but only half of season 1 is out. The manga is way ahead.

May 24, 2019
Messi, look at the preview pages for Dr Mirage. Pretty ass comics starring girls is you all over.
KRIuWSs.jpg

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If I start reading Doctor Mirage I don't have to start deep diving into all the Valiant, do I?

SpaceSong

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not stopping anyone from posting anything. Don't be so serious.
Joke is tired and untrue at this point and will lead to people here thinking you're serious. I'm not, like, up in arms. Just rolling my eyes at you dragging out a meme from 2012. Valiant have more good than bad under the belt these days. I'm not gonna bat for all of them but I've enjoyed the stuff that has caught my eye and gave a chance. Including Lemire's Bloodshot.
If I start reading Doctor Mirage I don't have to start deep diving into all the Valiant, do I?
When has that been the case for any cape comic? You end up doing that because the other stuff looks interesting. Not because of an individual book.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Joke is tired and untrue at this point and will lead to people here thinking you're serious. I'm not, like, up in arms. Just rolling my eyes at you dragging out a meme from 2012. Valiant have more good than bad under the belt these days. I'm not gonna bat for all of them but I've enjoyed the stuff that has caught my eye and gave a chance. Including Lemire's Bloodshot.

When has that been the case for any cape comic? You end up doing that because the other stuff looks interesting. Not because of an individual book.

Because I don't know a lick about Valiant or how interconnected it's meant to be and I was asking a question.

hipsterpants

Oct 25, 2017
X-Force is definitely my favorite x-book right now, especially after catching up. Love all the political stuff going on.

Beast the absolute legend going full CIA. Dude heard that merc call Krakoa part of the 1% and was like hell yeah I'm going ALL IN.

tim1138

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Because I don't know a lick about Valiant or how interconnected it's meant to be and I was asking a question.

I haven't looked at the current run, but Jen Van Meter's Doctor Mirage was standalone and very new reader friendly for that matter, I knew nothing about the character and was able to follow it just fine.

R0b1n

Jun 29, 2018
I forgot where I heard it from but iirc seven soldiers of victory was initially an avengers pitch

I can't imagine the avengers being a part of what the book eventually became

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

I am leaving this community!
Oct 25, 2017

Ok

Canucked

Comics Council 2020 & Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Dr. Mirage is one of my favourite valiant books. Bloodshot was good under Lemire but overall it's a book stuck in the 90s.

Quantum and Woody Is a great book to read isolated. Archer and Armstrong is good too but works better with some other books.

my only gripe with Valiant is pushing XOManowar. That character and story are painfully dull. Enemies are the most generic. They put some great artists and writers on it but give it up already.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I find the post-Lemire Valiant stuff interesting, but hard to approach. There's definitely an edginess factor that I don't find appealing, but it's also something else that I can't put my finger on. I think it has to do with characterization, but I haven't read enough to say for certain. I started The Life and Death of Toyo Harada and it was super intriguing. I would definitely like to know more. But yeah. Just hard to approach.

tim1138

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The best Valiant stuff I've read is the Divinity trilogy by Matt Kindt and Trevor Hairsine, those are some killer comics.

SpaceSong

Oct 25, 2017
I will say I enjoyed Harbinger because it actively confronts its own edgy BS. It gets into crossover town too quick for my liking but I liked the arc those characters were on out of the gate.

ElNarez

Oct 28, 2017
at last, a short list

BATMANS GRAVE #6
DOLLHOUSE FAMILY #5
FLASH #751
GREEN LANTERN SEASON 2 #2
SUPERMAN #21
TERRIFICS #26
YOUNG JUSTICE #14
CABLE #1
IMMORTAL HULK #32
THOR #4
X-MEN #8

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
My list for this week:

Batman's Grave #6
Young Justice #14
Decorum #1 (did we know this was only 8 issues?)
Cable #1
New Mutants #9
X-Men #8

I know its not a favorite here, but the only X book that Im actually jumping to read first each month is Excalibur. Aside from the main X-Men book of course. The rest have slowly petered off, to the point where im like 2 or 3 issues behind. If Wolverine keeps delivering though it could easily take that spot.

R0b1n

Jun 29, 2018
Morrisons' Seven Soldiers of Victory was so so good. All the storylines were so wild and crazy that I just couldn't put it down because I just needed to see what's going to happen next. None if it dragged, even when the different segments appeared to be barely connected to each other. How all those storylines tie together at the end was perfect, the car crash at the end was my favorite part of the book . It's a little hard keeping track of everything but finally reading it all in a day really helped in piecing every bit together.

Indeed

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
X-Force is definitely my favorite x-book right now, especially after catching up. Love all the political stuff going on.

Beast the absolute legend going full CIA. Dude heard that merc call Krakoa part of the 1% and was like hell yeah I'm going ALL IN.
He should be glad that Cyclops ain't petty for when he got up in his face about him running X-Force back in the day

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Jean's Fables covers were godlike and the first work of his I saw. I still think those or his X-Men piece is the best thing he's ever done.
I totally forgot he did all those Fables covers. Or that Fables was a thing.
Gonna be making some hard decisions on Omnis this year. My shelf space is now at a premium not to mention funding so many that look desirable. Have no idea yet what my list looks like, but it needs trimming as books keep getting announced.
I think the only omni I relly need this year off the top of my head is the Blackman / Williams III Batwoman omnibus.
Don't get the Billy if it is mainly omnibuses.
I have a billy with glass doors as one of my figure displays and it's great. I have an actual bookcase I need to replace but I don't think the billy is really deep enough for it.
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Fuck.
No one is reading these ugly ass Valiant comics.
I haven't read any Valiant in a long-ass time. But I did really enjoy the previous Doctor Mirage series and Ivar, Timewalker. Also that War Mother one-shot was 🔥. I'm tempted to check out the new Quantum & Woody because Ryan Browne is on it.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Just got back from Birds of Prey.

I liked it tbh, Ewan McGregor was probably the best DC villain since Heath Ledger.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I have a billy with glass doors as one of my figure displays and it's great. I have an actual bookcase I need to replace but I don't think the billy is really deep enough for it.
billys are great if you're not going to fill the shelves with omnis. if you do, it's just too much weight and the shelving will bend. kallaxs are recommend for omni collectors not just because they have a lot of shelf space, but because they hold weight much much better.

you probs already know that freeza, but for anyone else...

Status
Not open for further replies.