• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I said I was gonna tradewait but as time goes on and reading about the stuff happening in these books I just lose interest in wanting to follow them.

Except Marauders, that seems fire.

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
i think we can definitely all agree there are more than a couple very fucked up things about the crucible.
That getting your powers back is a reward? That the Crucible exists at all? If they have the ability to give you back your powers that you lost and no longer have but are fundamentally a part of you, then why can't they just give them back to you on the low? Why make you earn them as part of a strange event for all to see? Yeah.
I said I was gonna tradewait but as time goes on and reading about the stuff happening in these books I just lose interest in wanting to follow them.

Except Marauders, that seems fire.
I fucking LOVE Marauders
NGL if I was Moira I'd keep Destiny dead out of spite.
That's exactly why she's still dead. Moira says at the end of House of X that the precogs have to stay dead or away from the island because they'll fuck up everything by seeing the end of her timeline, and Moira chastises them because she knows the deal they made with Mystique was to bring Destiny back.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I'm one of the five.

i'd love to read a comic just about the five. they seem like a great group.

2019.09.20-09.12-boundingintocomics-5d8540b563571.png

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
That's exactly why she's still dead. Moira says at the end of House of X that the precogs have to stay dead or away from the island because they'll fuck up everything by seeing the end of her timeline, and Moira chastises them because she knows the deal they made with Mystique was to bring Destiny back.

Nah, that's different than what I'm saying. Moira's saying precogs gotta stay off the island because they'll see the future. I'm saying Destiny burned her alive--on purpose--because it'd be the most painful way to kill her. You think you get to come back? FOH. Moira's got a pragmatic reason; I don't lol.

Also, sidenote: Hickman's bromance writing in New Mutants is incredible, and I'm putting off reading his last issue 'cause I know Brisson won't be as good.

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
Caught up on Immortal Hulk

Al Ewing the god
Nah, that's different than what I'm saying. Moira's saying precogs gotta stay off the island because they'll see the future. I'm saying Destiny burned her alive--on purpose--because it'd be the most painful way to kill her. You think you get to come back? FOH. Moira's got a pragmatic reason; I don't lol.

Also, sidenote: Hickman's bromance writing in New Mutants is incredible, and I'm putting off reading his last issue 'cause I know Brisson won't be as good.

Oh that too

bluexy

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
damn it's getting real battlestar galactica in here.

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
what're your thoughts so far? new stuff compared to old?
I love it. It's still a monster book and it's still a horror book because the Hulk is still terrifying and so are the threats he deals with. It's just on a much larger scale now because as Ewing keeps saying in this book; the Hulk can't be stopped and keeps growing. Eventually he is destined to become a cosmic world eater and will consume the universe. We had a whole issue about it. This is just one phase, and at every phase we have had a member of the public to perceive the Hulk on that level. The scared reporter when he was just fighting monsters one to one. His own Hulk squad and the reporter when he was fighting the military. And now the entire country as he fights Roxxon. So that we can see the Hulk as a monster as he fights other monsters. The "good" monster versus the other monsters. No matter what they're all just monsters. It's all growing slowly, but surely and this is just one phase.
Why.

Where is Moira these days
Hiding in a room underneath the Council chambers, I think. It's a secret room.

bluexy

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I love it. It's still a monster book and it's still a horror book because the Hulk is still terrifying and so are the threats he deals with. It's just on a much larger scale now because as Ewing keeps saying in this book; the Hulk can't be stopped and keeps growing. Eventually he is destined to become a cosmic world eater and will consume the universe. We had a whole issue about it. This is just one phase, and at every phase we have had a member of the public to perceive the Hulk on that level. The scared reporter when he was just fighting monsters one to one. His own Hulk squad and the reporter when he was fighting the military. And now the entire country as he fights Roxxon. So that we can see the Hulk as a monster as he fights other monsters. The "good" monster versus the other monsters. No matter what they're all just monsters. It's all growing slowly, but surely and this is just one phase.
nicely said!

Jo-awn

Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY
I've been MIA for the last couple of weeks due to PAX East and other stuff. But I finally caught up on Monstress and like the current pace. I still think Maika is edgy for the sake of it which makes my eyes roll. The whole Maika-tatorship is an interesting angle to give her since she sure does love to kill. But every now and then, Kippa reminds her of her humanity. And Maika's inevitable collision course with Tuya and her aunt sure are looking good.

I also read King of Nowhere #1 and being a fan of of W. Maxwell Prince, I'm digging this series too. It has the same surrealism elements as Ice Cream Man but instead of dialing into existential dread, it dials in on themes reminiscent to Inception. It's got a dark plot though much like Ice Cream Man. And the art colors are damn good. I'll continue to follow it.

The other stuff I read in the last few weeks was Folk Lords. The cliffhanger in the last issue made me smile since I really liked the whole twist on Hanzel and Gretel being pyschopaths. I wish it wasn't confined to 5 issues but I've been digging it.

That's pretty much all I've got so far. I want to catch up on Daredevil and read some other small pub stuff like Dark Horse stuff and a whole bunch of Farm Hand among other things.

bluexy

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I've been MIA for the last couple of weeks due to PAX East and other stuff. But I finally caught up on Monstress and like the current pace. I still think Maika is edgy for the sake of it which makes my eyes roll. The whole Maika-tatorship is an interesting angle to give her since she sure does love to kill. But every now and then, Kippa reminds her of her humanity. And Maika's inevitable collision course with Tuya and her aunt sure are looking good.

I also read King of Nowhere #1 and being a fan of of W. Maxwell Prince, I'm digging this series too. It has the same surrealism elements as Ice Cream Man but instead of dialing into existential dread, it dials in on themes reminiscent to Inception. It's got a dark plot though much like Ice Cream Man. And the art colors are damn good. I'll continue to follow it.

The other stuff I read in the last few weeks was Folk Lords. The cliffhanger in the last issue made me smile since I really liked the whole twist on Hanzel and Gretel being pyschopaths. I wish it wasn't confined to 5 issues but I've been digging it.

That's pretty much all I've got so far. I want to catch up on Daredevil and read some other small pub stuff like Dark Horse stuff and a whole bunch of Farm Hand among other things.
Thanks for your thoughts! Kippa really is such an important part of the story. I think a lot of people dismiss her too quickly as a mascot sort of character. she plays such an important role when it comes to characterization and theme.

Canucked

Comics Council 2020 & Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I've never read Joe Mad's ultimates3. Did he phone it in or is it some solid work?

ElNarez

Oct 28, 2017
Pretty intriguing. I'm totally invested in seeing this story play out in the thread. It's a real mystery. Who are the other three snakes? What will happen when all five are revealed? What are their plans for comicsera?
as with the original The Five, they are just a red herring and the actual five are really just the same old same old, and that whole event is kind of a wet fart, despite Kieron Gillen pulling some all-time classics in there

(this joke brought to you by the Generation Hope fan club)

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
as with the original The Five, they are just a red herring and the actual five are really just the same old same old, and that whole event is kind of a wet fart, despite Kieron Gillen pulling some all-time classics in there

(this joke brought to you by the Generation Hope fan club)
You can't see the future, Narez!! I'm absolutely not a red herring, because a herring is a fish, which isn't what I am!

Jo-awn

Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY
Thanks for your thoughts! Kippa really is such an important part of the story. I think a lot of people dismiss her too quickly as a mascot sort of character. she plays such an important role when it comes to characterization and theme.
Heck, even Maika dismisses her but it's clear that she's such a pivotal character. Or else there would be no point in Kippa gaining her mystical powers. Kippa is the glue between Ren and Maika's rocky relationship. Plus it serves to give Maika a big sister role. I enjoy when all 3 are together since it creates some comic relief. I can understand why Maika is mad at Ren since the trope of characters keeping secrets is nothing new. But the fact that Ren was Maika's nanny/bodyguard makes their relationship retroactively more complicated and fascinating.

Then there's the whole thing with Maika showing Corvin how it's done when it comes to instilling fear in people. Actions speak louder than words. I get why she did what she did. Especially since it keeps Zinn's cravings in check by mandating adults to serve in active combat or else she'll let Zinn consume them.

ElNarez

Oct 28, 2017
You can't see the future, Narez!! I'm absolutely not a red herring, because a herring is a fish, which isn't what I am!
look I'm not gonna say I'm straight-up the Destiny of the thread in this metaphor, but I am gonna admit to sharing a lot of proclivities with basically any X-Person Chris Claremont created and let you draw conclusions from there

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
Status
Not open for further replies.