• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
I'd avoid RIP and Batman and Son unless you're planning to read Grant Morrison's entire run. They're both parts of his big story. I can't even imagine reading RIP without that context lol.

For what it's worth I would absolutely recommend Morrison's entire run, but definitely not as a starting point.
Yeah, JustAnotherOne. You don't wanna read some of the comics you listed in the bigger post without reading the full thing:

thegothamarchives.com

Grant Morrison's Batman Reading Order | Trade Order and Issue by Issue | Gotham Archives

Find the full and complete reading order to Grant Morrison's epic Batman run! Quick & Easy Trade reading order and the full issue by issue order included. Enjoy!

Anything on there has to be read in that order or it won't really make much sense. I think most of the other stuff you listed work completely on their own.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Nah. Someone on the site that hates us (KF) got access to like 20 accounts. Passwords are hashed here, so it couldn't play out the way that reporter claimed. They likely got a bunch of email address/passwords elsewhere on the net and found people that had era accounts who don't use different passwords. It happens all the time. I used to work for a financial institution, and people got their info stolen elsewhere all the time, because we had zero successful attacks on our actual system.

Always a good idea to turn on 2FA and change your passwords anyway, though.

Not just time, but who is that petty? Just weird behavior.
Changed my pass and turned on 2FA

And also, im that petty

Let this be a warning, ComicsERA

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
And I have that much time... so by our powers combined... we can finally get the last of the snakes out of comicsera!
Hell yeah
tenor.gif

hipsterpants

Oct 25, 2017
I really dont know about some of the people here. Just looking at some of the comments in that thread B Dub posted. It feels like things are only getting worse, here and every where else.

Era is full of shitty people, it's just that many of them hide behind their liberalism. The whole situation with Etika is a good example.

Just read Spider-man: Life Story. It's fantastic but also makes me a little sad about how tragic Peter's life really is. Really great twist on Spidey's stories through the decades.

Lol I'm pretty sure while it was coming out people were complaining about how depressing it was.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if Marvel will be giving Zdarsky's Daredevil the OHC treatment. Seems like we had heard about Venom's and Immortal Hulk's first vols by this point in their runs.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Im going to blame you if that ends up being the case
Why wouldn't she move on? She's mainly a prose author. I'm kind of surprised that Coates stuck around in comics as long as he has.
I think we would have heard by now. I could see an omnibus tho.
I wanna read that book, but I need a CMX sale. The price to get all of it right now is kinda steep.
Knull training the next generation of symbiotes.

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
Hear me out: Two Green Arrow books, or rather do one GA book with two storylines like they did for Wonder Woman Rebirth with Rucka: one be Ollie and like Diggle and Dinah or whoever, and the other be all the other arrow kids; Roy, Emiko, Connor, Mia. Deal with Outsiders stuff, bring all that back.
You got all the major ones but I'd also recommend Batman: Year 100 and Batman Rebirth (Tom King's recent run that ran for 80-ish issues). Oh yeah and Gotham by Gaslight and The Doom That Came To Gotham.
I dunno. Doom That Came To Gotham is dope, but it's basically a Hellboy story with a Batman skin. All eldritch horror and shit.
Gorr would be the villain I'd expect to see sooner rather than later in the MCU, but Bale seems like an actor they'd want to show the face of and Gorr's face would definitely require a mask+makeup.
Given Jane Thor, Gorr wouldn't be so out there.

Gorr Was Right
Dario Agger. What an uninspired choice. Such a shit character. Just do Gorr
I would actually prefer Dario Agger - I think Bale would do great in the role, and I think it's the sort of character that fits Waititi's style more. I can't imagine him doing Gorr justice, but a completely blatant, unapologetically evil corporate asshole that's also secretly a minotaur seems like a concept he could have fun with.

Also I like Agger in general, shallow as he might be.
I very much enjoy Agger. He's fun. Bale channeling American Psycho.
Hate you
I mean I thought it was spot on.
Thank you very much

Last edited:

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Batman by Loeb and Sale Omnibus finished!

What can I say, it's a great book. Not Batman as a character's best book, but a great Batman book. It pulls together so many elements of the post-Year One Batman concept, bringing together the gangster and detective half of Gotham and its "freak" half as well. The killers in both The Long Halloween and Dark Victory never mattered. Rather, their murders served to show the continued descent of Gotham from violent but understandable crime to the madness of Batman-era Gotham. If Year One is the ideal Batman living up to his aspirations, Loeb's run is the canon example of how everything went wrong.

This is more of meta reading regarding what Loeb's Batman has become over the years, of course. Loeb's said before his idea was to tell a cool crime story that provided opportunities to showcase the various big bads of Batamn -- while also establishing certain post-Year One ideas like Batman coming to terms with needing to trust people, Dent becoming Two Face, Catwoman + Batman's complicated relationship. It's just become so much more since then, since all the post-Year One worldbuilding is so taken for granted anymore.

Salte's look for all of the villains are undeniably iconic, from Joker's ever-growing toothy smile to Poison Ivy's every growing cloud of vines surrounding her. What stands out to me is how well Sale uses shadow in his art. He doesn't flood a page with black like Mignola does, but definitely exaggerates shadow so there are rarely gradients of color. This makes each character stand out, often just based on their color. Pink -- Catwoman. Green -- Ivy. Purple -- Joker. And Batman, oven blending with the darkness, fringed with greys and dark blues.

Outstanding book. Legendary Batman story. A classic for all the right reasons.

Backlog RNG has picked Batman: The Golden Age Omnibus Vol. 1 👀 here we go

bluexy

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
For anyone curious, Marvel is confirmed to be continuing the Dawn of X TPB line past Fallen Angels and the #6 issues in the Dawn of X Vol. 6 TPB! It'll go on with the name Dawn of X: Nation Building and will be much more asymmetrically collected than the first 6 TPBs. In other words, this actually may continue being the best way to collect all of the post-HoX/PoX X-Men stuff in paperback.

Could imply a big ol' omnibus collecting it all is in the works, too. I'd buy it.

h740ttO.png

Last edited:

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
Catching up on X-Men

So #6

Laws can't be broken except for by Mystique because of her moral flexibility and Orchis because Orchis is a big enough threat?

Well now don't we have some loopholes kids. Anyways on to #7

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
Batman by Loeb and Sale Omnibus finished!

What can I say, it's a great book. Not Batman as a character's best book, but a great Batman book. It pulls together so many elements of the post-Year One Batman concept, bringing together the gangster and detective half of Gotham and its "freak" half as well. The killers in both The Long Halloween and Dark Victory never mattered. Rather, their murders served to show the continued descent of Gotham from violent but understandable crime to the madness of Batman-era Gotham. If Year One is the ideal Batman living up to his aspirations, Loeb's run is the canon example of how everything went wrong.

This is more of meta reading regarding what Loeb's Batman has become over the years, of course. Loeb's said before his idea was to tell a cool crime story that provided opportunities to showcase the various big bads of Batamn -- while also establishing certain post-Year One ideas like Batman coming to terms with needing to trust people, Dent becoming Two Face, Catwoman + Batman's complicated relationship. It's just become so much more since then, since all the post-Year One worldbuilding is so taken for granted anymore.

Salte's look for all of the villains are undeniably iconic, from Joker's ever-growing toothy smile to Poison Ivy's every growing cloud of vines surrounding her. What stands out to me is how well Sale uses shadow in his art. He doesn't flood a page with black like Mignola does, but definitely exaggerates shadow so there are rarely gradients of color. This makes each character stand out, often just based on their color. Pink -- Catwoman. Green -- Ivy. Purple -- Joker. And Batman, oven blending with the darkness, fringed with greys and dark blues.

Outstanding book. Legendary Batman story. A classic for all the right reasons.

Backlog RNG has picked Batman: The Golden Age Omnibus Vol. 1 👀 here we go

Six years later...

"Batman The Golden Age Omnibus Vol 1 finished!"

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Catching up on X-Men

So #6

Laws can't be broken except for by Mystique because of her moral flexibility and Orchis because Orchis is a big enough threat?

Well now don't we have some loopholes kids. Anyways on to #7

There's actually another big loophole in that issue, if you didn't notice. Charles and Magneto have turned into massive cunts, but only where Mystique is concerned.

hipsterpants

Oct 25, 2017
If I was a mutant I'd wait until the people that will inevitably lead it to widespread death and destruction are no longer in power.

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
The only REAL thing that's fucked up about the Crucible is the fact that it's a gladiator match to the death in front of an audience — and mind you that's a very fucked up thing because then that means that the whole island knows what the Crucible is and what it's for to the point that it's engrained into the culture — but Kurt and Scott bring up far more about what the Crucible is for: that a mutant can die and be reborn into a body with a set of powers that they believe to be the best set of powers that they want.

And that is going to make things very interesting on the island of Krakoa.You can get your very own custom power set. All you have to do is die. The Crucible is a choice, not a requirement, and you have to fight to get it. Even without powers.
Because it is better than being hacked apart by Apocalypse weilding a giant sword? The fact Apocalypse was on board with this plan should have set off alarms for every one of these people.
I would argue Apocalypse made it better. Imagine if Exodus had his way. We see what he does with those kids. At least Apoc makes you fight for it and lets you walk away. Getting your powers back is a reward. So it's not just a ritualistic suicide.

Last edited:

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Genuinely, you may want to have a second book to read alongside it. It's incredibly daunting to try reading that much golden age material without the occasional break.

This is good advice. I pretty much always have a separate pile of retro collections that I work through, only dip into the top one when I'm in the mood. Particularly when you're getting into pre-60s stuff, the stories are just SO samey that you need something to break up the flow.

I haven't read more than a handful of Golden Age Batman stories, but I'm 90% sure they're all going to be this plot over and over again: some criminals, possibly with a gimmick, are doing a crime. Batman and Robin catch wind, track them down. They tussle, but end up captured/incapacitated somehow. Batman and Robin escape and have a final confrontation with the crooks. The day is saved.

Batman at least has the luxury of getting recurring villains early on, and have some great ghost artists for Kane.

bluexy

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
i think we can definitely all agree there are more than a couple very fucked up things about the crucible.

hipsterpants

Oct 25, 2017
Reminder that Logan is the only person left on Krakoa that hasn't drank the kool-aid and that you should love and support him.

Status
Not open for further replies.