• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Canucked

Comics Council 2020 & Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
DC needs to ditch the standard trim hardcover. Black Label, OHC, Omnibus, Abslolute. You have enough.

Also, Marvel; kill that softcover treasury edition.

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
My man. You were always my favorite.
My thing is that even though people say Dick is their favorite Robin, no one's going back and reading Golden Age Batman to read their favorite Dick stories, so we got Year One. Jason has Death in the Family, but I mean if your claim to fame as a Robin is "the one that got murdered," then that kinda sucks. He should get a little more, especially given that he was the second Robin and his death hit Bruce so hard he refused to take on anymore Robins until Tim showed up.
Birds of Prey by Gail Simone Vol 2 (August)
I still haven't read vol. 1 (my LCS fucked up and now I'm waitin and I'm irked), but I have now read every BoP book except for Gail Simone's run and the small non-Gail runs that happen at the end and in between her break pre-Flashpoint.

#56 on is what I haven't read and all except for a little bit of that is Gail, so I'm trade waiting.
Dare Devil's track record is outstanding.

I'd say the only ones that come close are Moon Knight and Jessica Jones

And they don't have nearly the catalogue DD has.
I was gonna say JJ assuming you count The Pulse as a JJ book, and even if you don't, but it's cheating really because she doesn't have the catalogue that DD does.

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

I am leaving this community!
Oct 25, 2017
New DC collections found on PenguinRandomHouse's website!

Absolute The Dark Knight (new printing)
Batgirl: The New 52 Omnibus
Batman by Tom King & Lee Weeks Deluxe Edition
Batman: Knight Out by Chuck Dixon
Batman: Road to No Man's Land Omnibus
Black Adam: The Dark Age Deluxe Edition
Injustice: Gods Among Us Omnibus Vol. 2
Justice League by Scott Snyder Book Two Deluxe Edition
Lucifer Omnibus Vol. 2
Mister Miracle: The Deluxe Edition
New Teen Titans Omnibus Vol. 5
Nightwing New 52 Omnibus
Robin Unmasked by Bill Willingham
Sandman: The Books of Magic Omnibus Vol. 1
Superman: The Golden Age Omnibus Vol. 7
Wonder Woman: The Golden Age Omnibus Vol. 5

Absolute The Dark Knight (New Printing) - $99.99

Batgirl: The New 52 Omnibus (Gail Simone) - $100 - 960 Pages - September 22, 2020
Collects Batgirl #0-34, Batgirl Annual #1 and 2, Batgirl: Futures End #1, and more!

Batman by Tom King & Lee Weeks Deluxe Edition - $49.99 - 368 Pages - November 17, 2020
This collection includes "Cold Days," as Bruce Wayne gets jury duty--for a court case involving Mr. Freeze! Will the evidence cause Batman to rethink his methods? In "Knightmares," Batman chases a new foe who outsmarts him at every turn--is it someone more familiar to the Dark Knight than even he suspects? And in the Eisner Award-nominated Batman/Elmer Fudd Special, Batman ends up in the Looney Tunes character's crosshairs, in a story you never expected!

Batman: Knight Out by Chuck Dixon - $39.99 - 368 Pages - September 29, 2020

Batman: Road to No Man's Land Omnibus - $125 - 1248 Pages - October 20, 2020
Collects Azrael: Agent of the Bat #40, Azrael: Agent of the Bat #47-50, Batman #554-562, Batman: Shadow of the Bat #73-82, Detective Comics #719-722, Detective Comics #724-729, Catwoman #56-57, Robin #52-54, The Batman Chronicles #12, The Batman Chronicles #14-15, Nightwing #19-20, Batman: Arkham Asylum - Tales of Madness #1, Batman: Blackgate - Isle of Men #1, Batman: Huntress/Spoiler - Blunt Trauma #1

Black Adam: The Dark Age Deluxe Edition - $29.99 - 168 Pages - November 10, 2020
From the pages of 52 and COUNTDOWN and the minds of writer Peter J. Tomasi (Green Lantern Corps) and artist Doug Mahnke (Batman) comes a gripping tale of the world's most wanted man -- and the horrifying lengths he'll go to for what he wants most!

Injustice: Gods Among Us Omnibus Vol. 2 - $125 - 1104 Pages - November 3, 2020
Collects Injustice: Gods Among Us Year Four #1-12, Injustice: Gods Among Us Year Four Annual #1, Injustice: Gods Among Us Year Five #1-20, Injustice: Gods Among Us: Year Five Annual #1, Injustice: Ground Zero #1-12

Justice League by Scott Snyder Book 2 Deluxe Edition - $39.99 - 376 Pages - December 1, 2020
Collects Justice League #14-28.

Lucifer Omnibus Vol. 2 - $125

Mister Miracle: The Deluxe Edition - $49.99 - 336 Pages - October 13, 2020
Collects Mister Miracle #1-12 along with bonus content in an all new deluxe hardcover format!

New Teen Titans Omnibus Vol. 5 - $99.99 - 744 Pages - November 24, 2020
Collects The New Teen Titans #32-49, The New Teen Titans Annual #3-4, Tales of the Teen Titans #91, Secret Origins #13, Secret Origins Annual #3, and Infinity, Inc. #45.

Nightwing New 52 Omnibus - $99.99 - 832 Pages - December 1, 2020
Nightwing #0-30, Batman #17, Young Romance: A New 52 St. Valentine's Day Special #1, Nightwing Annual #1, Secret Origins #1, Nightwing Vol. 1: Traps and Trapezes, Nightwing Vol. 2: Night of the Owls, Nightwing Vol. 3: Death of the Family, Nightwing Vol. 4: Second City, and Nightwing Vol. 5: Setting Son

Robin: Unmasked Written by Bill Willingham - $99.99 - 744 Pages - November 24, 2020
Collects issues #121-125

Sandman: The Books of Magic Omnibus Vol. 1 - $150 - 1536 Pages - October 13, 2020
The Books of Magic #1-32, The Children's Crusade #1-2, Vertigo Gallery: Dreams and Nightmares #1, Vertigo Preview #1, Vertigo Visions - Doctor Occult #1, Who's Who #15, Arcana Annual #1, Mister E #1-4, and The Books of Faerie: Auberon's Tale #1-3 all in one place!

Superman: The Golden Age Omnibus Vol. 7 - $125 - 816 Pages - November 10, 2020

Wonder Woman: The Golden Age Omnibus Vol. 5 - $150

Nightwing New 52 Omnibus

Will preorder until the eventual cancellation

No listing for more King Batman OHC vol 6?

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
DC needs to ditch the standard trim hardcover. Black Label, OHC, Omnibus, Abslolute. You have enough.

Also, Marvel; kill that softcover treasury edition.

I think Piskor brought that over from FB. But it is an aspect ratio that some artists seem to prefer (and is closer to the European BD size) - Moebius with Parable, Hip Hop Family Tree for Piskor, etc

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
That New 52 Nightwing omni was cancelled as soon as the words made it to page

No one is buying that

Not even me. And I like Nightwing AND have that whole run in trade with no intent to get rid of it.

And I STILL won't buy that omni

Canucked

Comics Council 2020 & Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I think Piskor brought that over from FB. But it is an aspect ratio that some artists seem to prefer (and is closer to the European BD size) - Moebius with Parable, Hip Hop Family Tree for Piskor, etc

I'm fine with it if it's hardcover, like Parable is. I went to look at a Grand Design book a store and the cover was torn from just being in a store. Softcover is for books that you read on the bus or toilet. Or similar low standard physical stuff like Manga.

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
New DC collections found on PenguinRandomHouse's website!

Absolute The Dark Knight (new printing)
Batman: Knight Out by Chuck Dixon
Batman: Road to No Man's Land Omnibus
Black Adam: The Dark Age Deluxe Edition
Lucifer Omnibus Vol. 2
New Teen Titans Omnibus Vol. 5
Nightwing New 52 Omnibus
Robin Unmasked by Bill Willingham
Sandman: The Books of Magic Omnibus Vol. 1
Superman: The Golden Age Omnibus Vol. 7
Wonder Woman: The Golden Age Omnibus Vol. 5

Absolute The Dark Knight (New Printing) - $99.99

Batgirl: The New 52 Omnibus (Gail Simone) - $100 - 960 Pages - September 22, 2020
Collects Batgirl #0-34, Batgirl Annual #1 and 2, Batgirl: Futures End #1, and more!

Batman by Tom King & Lee Weeks Deluxe Edition - $49.99 - 368 Pages - November 17, 2020
This collection includes "Cold Days," as Bruce Wayne gets jury duty--for a court case involving Mr. Freeze! Will the evidence cause Batman to rethink his methods? In "Knightmares," Batman chases a new foe who outsmarts him at every turn--is it someone more familiar to the Dark Knight than even he suspects? And in the Eisner Award-nominated Batman/Elmer Fudd Special, Batman ends up in the Looney Tunes character's crosshairs, in a story you never expected!

Batman: Knight Out by Chuck Dixon - $39.99 - 368 Pages - September 29, 2020

Batman: Road to No Man's Land Omnibus - $125 - 1248 Pages - October 20, 2020
Collects Azrael: Agent of the Bat #40, Azrael: Agent of the Bat #47-50, Batman #554-562, Batman: Shadow of the Bat #73-82, Detective Comics #719-722, Detective Comics #724-729, Catwoman #56-57, Robin #52-54, The Batman Chronicles #12, The Batman Chronicles #14-15, Nightwing #19-20, Batman: Arkham Asylum - Tales of Madness #1, Batman: Blackgate - Isle of Men #1, Batman: Huntress/Spoiler - Blunt Trauma #1

Black Adam: The Dark Age Deluxe Edition - $29.99 - 168 Pages - November 10, 2020
From the pages of 52 and COUNTDOWN and the minds of writer Peter J. Tomasi (Green Lantern Corps) and artist Doug Mahnke (Batman) comes a gripping tale of the world's most wanted man -- and the horrifying lengths he'll go to for what he wants most!

Injustice: Gods Among Us Omnibus Vol. 2 - $125 - 1104 Pages - November 3, 2020
Collects Injustice: Gods Among Us Year Four #1-12, Injustice: Gods Among Us Year Four Annual #1, Injustice: Gods Among Us Year Five #1-20, Injustice: Gods Among Us: Year Five Annual #1, Injustice: Ground Zero #1-12

Justice League by Scott Snyder Book 2 Deluxe Edition - $39.99 - 376 Pages - December 1, 2020
Collects Justice League #14-28.

Lucifer Omnibus Vol. 2 - $125

Mister Miracle: The Deluxe Edition - $49.99 - 336 Pages - October 13, 2020
Collects Mister Miracle #1-12 along with bonus content in an all new deluxe hardcover format!

New Teen Titans Omnibus Vol. 5 - $99.99 - 744 Pages - November 24, 2020
Collects The New Teen Titans #32-49, The New Teen Titans Annual #3-4, Tales of the Teen Titans #91, Secret Origins #13, Secret Origins Annual #3, and Infinity, Inc. #45.

Nightwing New 52 Omnibus - $99.99 - 832 Pages - December 1, 2020
Nightwing #0-30, Batman #17, Young Romance: A New 52 St. Valentine's Day Special #1, Nightwing Annual #1, Secret Origins #1, Nightwing Vol. 1: Traps and Trapezes, Nightwing Vol. 2: Night of the Owls, Nightwing Vol. 3: Death of the Family, Nightwing Vol. 4: Second City, and Nightwing Vol. 5: Setting Son

Robin: Unmasked Written by Bill Willingham - $99.99 - 744 Pages - November 24, 2020
Collects issues #121-125

Sandman: The Books of Magic Omnibus Vol. 1 - $150 - 1536 Pages - October 13, 2020
The Books of Magic #1-32, The Children's Crusade #1-2, Vertigo Gallery: Dreams and Nightmares #1, Vertigo Preview #1, Vertigo Visions - Doctor Occult #1, Who's Who #15, Arcana Annual #1, Mister E #1-4, and The Books of Faerie: Auberon's Tale #1-3 all in one place!

Superman: The Golden Age Omnibus Vol. 7 - $125 - 816 Pages - November 10, 2020

Wonder Woman: The Golden Age Omnibus Vol. 5 - $150
Oooooh Gail Simone Batgirl omni though? That I'd buy.

Also I thought the New TT omni was a New 52 TT omni and I was like "who the fuck asked for that?" But then I saw the vol. 5.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I'm fine with it if it's hardcover, like Parable is. I went to look at a Grand Design book a store and the cover was torn from just being in a store. Softcover is for books that you read on the bus or toilet. Or similar low standard physical stuff like Manga.
ya shonen jumps are for subhumans

bluexy

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
i'll be honest i was kind of hoping dc would just give up on collections for the latter half of 2020 becuase there are already so many marvel books i want...

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017

haha. I should have guessed Marvel cheaped out with the soft covers. The HHFT soft covers were great so my mind was still stuck in that.

Is the SS Black book SC or HC?

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
SGM: Doug was a bigot, I can't work for him anymore

*Still friends with EVS and hired a TERF.*

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
Aizō whats up with that Michael Mann Tokyo Vice show? Why was that person saying he thought it would be unwatchable?

Hadn't heard of it before, but it sounds really interesting. Just Michael Mann doing a show about Tokyo Police.
The guy I was talking to is a cool DC editor. He may think it could be unwatchable because of the source material... or maybe he doesn't like Mann? I'm not sure.

The situation with the author of the original book the show is based on is that he's a notorious liar. He wrote this "memoir" about his time at Yomiuri Shimbun (pretty much the Wall Street Journal of Japan), and tons of info in it is just impossible. He's been called out countless times, but never by the press, so he keeps getting work. He also (sadly, like many other white dudes who wrote memoirs about their lives in Japan) loves to talk about his sexual conquests, which are again likely unreal or exaggerated. He left Yomiuri Shimbun many years back, but (according to this old New Yorker article) nobody from there will speak on the record about him, but some reporters did call him a liar. Sounds like the show will be loosely based on the book with lots of other content coming from research they did on their own about the yakuza at the time. Unfortunate thing about Adelstein is I've seen interviews, articles, and posts by him over the years, and he absolutely does know a ton about Japanese crime. He's also been involved with some pretty cool things... it's just a shame I can never trust a word that comes out of his mouth or writing.

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
It's not terrible, but it certainly isn't very good. There are a couple problems: The first few volumes take place in Old Gotham, and are marred by Bat family crossovers (Night of Owls, Death of the Family), and Dick is center stage in all that because of Haley's Circus being a Talon farm, basically. While this is great new mythology, the early part of the run having the glorious Eddy Barrows on art giving Gotham that moody gothic winter still doesn't keep it from being essentially bogged down from what feels like Higgins wanting to tell bigger ideas. He has Dick buy the circus and the old Amusement Mile with all of his money. Joker burns it down and kills/tortures almost everyone because of Dick being Nightwing and they don't trust him and leave.

Dick having no money, and wanting a clean slate, moves to Chicago because he finds out Tony Zucco is still alive. Now, this part of the run I really dislike because it could've been Bludhaven's reintroduction, it wasn't and that's fine. The art takes a dunk. The concept's there, but Chicago is it's own unique beast from both the pre- and post-Flashpoint versions of Bludhaven. Chicago is staunchly "anti-mask" meaning anti-masked vigilante. They haven't had one in years under the current mayor. There was a vigilante that "fixed" that problem, but now Dick's showed up and made it an issue so he's come back again. A storyline that's never finished. Tony Zucco's living a different life that Dick ruins and Tony cows revenge. Dick inspires a new kid who is foreshadowed to be his sidekick. Then the run ends and we get Forever Evil and Grayson.

My biggest problem is how Higgins writes Dick. He's whiny and kinda scummy. He constantly talks about "what Batman would do" (ugh, again with this fucking shit?) because he used to be Batman and isn't anymore. So because of that it's worse because I feel like he almost resents Batman for coming back. Then you have him buying his family's circus to make people stay who don't want to. Then you have him go to Chicago and ruin Zucco's life out of revenge, become the first masked vigilante in years when they didn't need one, and be kinda shitty to his new roommates that he's bumming off of. He's an asshole.

Higgins' run has solid concepts, but I don't like the character he's written. A better Higgins Nightwing book is Nightwing: The New Order. I'Ve honestly been meaning to go back and reread it some day because it's been like 5 years at this point at least since I've read the whole thing

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
The guy I was talking to is a cool DC editor. He may think it could be unwatchable because of the source material... or maybe he doesn't like Mann? I'm not sure.

The situation with the author of the original book the show is based on is that he's a notorious liar. He wrote this "memoir" about his time at Yomiuri Shimbun (pretty much the Wall Street Journal of Japan), and tons of info in it is just impossible. He's been called out countless times, but never by the press, so he keeps getting work. He also (sadly, like many other white dudes who wrote memoirs about their lives in Japan) loves to talk about his sexual conquests, which are again likely unreal or exaggerated. He left Yomiuri Shimbun many years back, but (according to this old New Yorker article) nobody from there will speak on the record about him, but some reporters did call him a liar. Sounds like the show will be loosely based on the book with lots of other content coming from research they did on their own about the yakuza at the time. Unfortunate thing about Adelstein is I've seen interviews, articles, and posts by him over the years, and he absolutely does know a ton about Japanese crime. He's also been involved with some pretty cool things... it's just a shame I can never trust a word that comes out of his mouth or writing.
Oh wow, wtf. I didnt realize it was that bad after doing some digging myself.

I personally love Michael Mann. Heat, Collateral, and Miami Vice (to an extent) were all great. So a Tokyo Vice show produced by him just sounds great to me. But they probably should have done better research before promoting the show as based on this book.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Lee Weeks is great on art but has he done more than like 5-6 issues with Tom King? I think literally everything mentioned is in the solicit, it'd be like 120 pages tops. Not sure how they'd get away with charging $50 for that.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
Oh wow, wtf. I didnt realize it was that bad after doing some digging myself.

I personally love Michael Mann. Heat, Collateral, and Miami Vice (to an extent) were all great. So a Tokyo Vice show produced by him just sounds great to me. But they probably should have done better research before promoting the show as based on this book.
I'm interested in the show. I bet it'll be fun, but I just really dislike the idea of more people reading the book and thinking "wow, what a cool guy to have lived this life!" when his memoir has so much false info.

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

Oct 25, 2017
Lee Weeks is great on art but has he done more than like 5-6 issues with Tom King? I think literally everything mentioned is in the solicit, it'd be like 120 pages tops. Not sure how they'd get away with charging $50 for that.

Sketches, scripts and other bullshit to complete the money grab.

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

Oct 25, 2017

Woah, Mercy sold 60k copies. Delighted for Mirka.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
I'm interested in the show. I bet it'll be fun, but I just really dislike the idea of more people reading the book and thinking "wow, what a cool guy to have lived this life!" when his memoir has so much false info.
For sure. Thanks for the info btw.

Ive always been curious about stories regarding Tokyo police, and the organized crime in Japan. But it is rare to see it covered in Western media.

bluexy

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
88120331_1124505387891267_8204038575092662272_o.jpg

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
Dammit Marvel why do you have to keep infecting Ms. Marvel with event crossovers? Also, how can they 3nforce bans on teen superheroes without knowing their identities? Amulet's cool though.

I tried out Flash 750 and thought it was a bit weak, mainly because it focused too much on teases. That's where you should go all out.

Vampironica was mainly world building. No complains there.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
Dammit Marvel why do you have to keep infecting Ms. Marvel with event crossovers? Also, how can they 3nforce bans on teen superheroes without knowing their identities? Amulet's cool though.
It's basically a curfew. This Outlawed thing is also their way of pushing the teen heroes into a big thing since all their sales have lagged compared to Knull and Knull's Knulls and The Immortal Knull.

bluexy

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
SpryWelllitBrahmancow-size_restricted.gif

live footage of me hacking comicera because no one posts thoughtful analysis or reviews anymore and only posts hot takes and speculation about 5g

Status
Not open for further replies.