• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Astro Cat

Mar 29, 2019
They've been $3.99 / 20 some-odd pages for a while. If they slash that further, I again, am out. Shonen Jumps give you so much more value for your money. Who even needs color?
This is where I'm at. I only started picking things up again in singles when HoX started and even with the limited amount of those titles that I buy it's still too much. Just doesn't make sense when you can get an entire arc for like $5 if you just wait a couple months. Reading Savage Avengers for $2 was great, but I would've been mad if I had bought them otherwise.

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

I am leaving this community!
Oct 25, 2017
Make colourists into real artists. Save money

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't even buy collections if they cost more than $10.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Matt Wilson's name should be before the writer and artist anytime he's on a book.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
Out of curiosity, I saw the Maneaters one shot. You thought the last one shot was bad...fucking shit.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Aizō whats up with that Michael Mann Tokyo Vice show? Why was that person saying he thought it would be unwatchable?

Hadn't heard of it before, but it sounds really interesting. Just Michael Mann doing a show about Tokyo Police.

Astro Cat

Mar 29, 2019
I didn't just mean how great his colors are in those (they are absolutely great), Gillen/McKelvie went out of their way to always bring up Wilson and Clayton Cowles as an equal part of the creative team in those series
Oh I get that. And it's well deserved. He's a big part of those books and yeah they're absolutely great. I definitely think colorists deserve a third billing.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Can't say I know a lot of colorists but these are some of the ones that I thought did some amazing work:

Matt Wilson

Dave Stewart

Michael Doig

FCO

There's more, of course, but those are the ones that are coming to mind right now.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Can't say I know a lot of colorists but these are some of the ones that I thought did some amazing work:

There's more, of course, but those are the ones that are coming to mind right now.
Nei Ruffino, too. I don't know what she's up to now but she did a lot of work on Johns Green Lantern around the time of Blackest Night, and everything was so vibrant.

SeanShards

Oct 25, 2017
sorry UK friends. :(

I am probably going to drop everything except the Power Rangers titles now. It's been coming for awhile, but I've limited income and I haven't replaced my tablet since the last one gave up the ghost. I can get entire novels, most of which I could probably get physically, for the price of two digital single issues now. Laughable. I figure I can stretch to MMPR, the Lord Drakkon/Ranger Slayer mini that's coming and whatever crossover book they decide to do next.

Other than that, I'm out. My backlog is beyond enormous, and there is always Marvel Unlimited as an option to catch up on Hickman X-Men in a year or two. Honestly, comics have been like WWE to me the last 2-3 years. I'm mostly checked out but I still gawk at the industry stuff, and I did read books here and there.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
I was watching a video by Roger Deakins once where he talked about how he doesn't like doing shots that make you notice them. That if it was up to him, you'd never think, "that's a cool shot" since he feels it takes away from the story. I forgot which composer it was but they also talked about the same thing in regards to soundtracks, however, he thought that notice was BS. He felt that you SHOULD notice the music. I feel like the latter approach is something that I enjoy more, which makes me wonder if there are some colorists who take the former approach.

The colorists that I named above seem to make the coloring be as important as the linework. It's flashy, it's in your face and that's why I loved their work so much. Then there's some colorists that while I can see they're very skilled, it's almost like their coloring is supposed to go unnoticed.

It'd love to hear some colorists talk about this, I'd be very interested in hearing their takes.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Jordie Bellaire is my vote for best colorist in the business right now. When she took over coloring for Janin in King's Batman it immediately doubled the art quality of the book.

Tyrant Rave

Has A Pretty Cool Jacket
Oct 25, 2017

Matt Wilson

Dave Stewart

Michael Doig

FCO

put some respect on Hollingsworth's name

Lee Loughridge is wonderful too

May 24, 2019
I'm not a fan of colour being used to add detail that isn't conveyed in the linework, like too much rendering or texturing within the lines.
Me and Ahsouka came to blows over that when she was praising a Rocketeer recolouring job a few months ago, which went from subtlety to the colourist really trying to make materials look realistic, which I thought took all the attention away from the drawing.

Astro Cat

Mar 29, 2019
Shit I forgot about Nathan Fairburn until I looked up Scott Pilgrim and he wasn't even listed! It's so stupid that colorists don't get more credit. Unless its The Killing Joke which looks horrendous with the new colors.

also is Fairburn the colorist who took over Batman after awhile that improved Janin by tenfold?

hipsterpants

Oct 25, 2017
The coloring is the difference between Janin's art looking absolutely horrendous and it looking like some of the best in the business.

May 24, 2019
Imagine how great all those 60's comics would look if Jordie Bellaire existed back then! Right VanWinkle?

Speaking of... I think old comics lose so much when you spotlessly reproduce them. The grit of newsprint and the flaws in the process are really part of the texture, which is lost printing flat colours on stark white paper or digital.
I think what Bellaire does with her lightly grained flatish work is kind of harkening back to the actual spirit of old comics.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not a fan of colour being used to add detail that isn't conveyed in the linework, like too much rendering or texturing within the lines.
Me and Ahsouka came to blows over that when she was praising a Rocketeer recolouring job a few months ago, which went from subtlety to the colourist really trying to make material look realistic, which I thought took all the attention away from the drawing.
I think it really depends on how it's used when it comes to texture. When it really bothers me is when the coloring adds objects that weren't there in the linework. Like clear skies that then have a bunch of clouds added to them in the coloring or fields that now have more blades of grass because of coloring.

The worst are seas that have some shitty google images stock photo instead of actual coloring.

RedHoodedOwl

Nov 3, 2017
Yeah, this latest revelation about Tony Stark's past definitely won't conflict with the current Iron Man 2020 storyline.

Mutagenic

Oct 30, 2017
It's so annoying waiting 3 weeks for a purchased complete comic run to be shipped to you, only to find it's missing an issue.

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
So I read the first issue of the Connor/Palmiotti Harley Quinn and the Birds of Prey limited series

It wasn't good? I mean I guess if you enjoyed her solo series and wanted more of that, but Huntress straight up killing dudes is off-putting given her character development over the years. Barring that, I didn't really find it funny and I didn't care about anything.

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

Oct 25, 2017
So I read the first issue of the Connor/Palmiotti Harley Quinn and the Birds of Prey limited series

It wasn't good? I mean I guess if you enjoyed her solo series and wanted more of that, but Huntress straight up killing dudes is off-putting given her character development over the years. Barring that, I didn't really find it funny and I didn't care about anything.

It's just more of their Harley run. Don't expect 90% of the characters to act in character. They are extensions of Harley nothing more.

The appeal is Conner on art

This is gonna be so good. Art is perfect and Kelly is amazing

May 24, 2019

Have you seen the movie? I'm guessing it's conforming to that a bit.

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

Oct 25, 2017
Getting right to it huh... :/

That Harley variant is bad lol

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
Wait

Wait