• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What is the best way to read comics?

• LCS Floppies Weekly

Votes: 15 9.8%
  • Physical Trades

Votes: 50 32.7%
  • Digital Issues Weekly

Votes: 44 28.8%
  • Digital Trades

Votes: 44 28.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Christian

Oct 25, 2017
This is the first time I'm reading a catastrophically awful event during release, and I gotta say, it's quite an experience.

hipsterpants

Oct 25, 2017
HiC is barely even an event, despite the marketing push. The only book it's actually affected or referenced is Flash and Green Arrow (I think?).

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone
War of the Realms starts next week? Guess I need to catch up on Thor. What else?

Edit: to clarify I am talking about books that lead into it, I am not planning on reading a bunch of one-off tie-ins

cbrotherson

Freelance Games & Comic Book Writer
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Birmingham
If you read it as an isekai, it's okay.

I've been reading comics for so long now that it's taken a while for my brain to compartmentalize some stories outside of the loose continuity standards and set ups that I grew up with, but it makes life so much easier. I'm not as tetchy about it in my 'old' age...

Also what's this PlayStation thing, I thought you were in animation.

Hahahah, not sure where you thought that! Been writing and producing with PlayStation for nearly 12 years now, although I'm leaving next month to be a full time freelance writer (so I'll have more time to develop my comics, amongst working on my own branching narrative game, writing other people's games etc).

I wish I was in animation (I can't draw for shit, sadly), but who's to say I won't be working on something animated this year... *winks obviously without any being able to say anything else*

Oct 25, 2017
So that Martian Manhunter's a great comic book, yeah? Somehow turned out to be one of the books I look forward to the most each month. Tremendous art and a compelling story so far

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Heroes in Crisis is just too deep for you, much like Identity Crisis.

Tom King was in the CIA. He knows what he's doing.

ElNarez

Oct 28, 2017
Someone spoil Heroes in Crisis for me

ElNarez or whoever else is reading

-booster, beetle, harley and batgirl fight, and then they cry, and then they team up
-batman and flash hang out, look for clues, shit gets real
-wally did something, but maybe not what you think, either way, he brings Ivy back, and then they watch Wally die

it's real good! I swear! it's got themes and shit, it's ideas, it's got the drama but also it's got the jokes, and because of Tony Daniel's feature in Tec #1000 it doesn't even have the worst drawing of Batgirl in the SGM costume released this week! just give it a shake on its own terms! it's good!

i think you mean three.

No it's two, Wally dies five days after the attack on Sanctuary from Something while Ivy watches, and then Something brings his body back to five days earlier so it seems like he died with everyone else

also, Wally is just real lonely because the book is about how it's unhealthy to be alone with your thoughts when you've been through some fucked up shit, and you should get help, not just regular help but also help from the people around you because you're not alone and also maybe they need help

Last edited:

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
ivy has ressurection powers

There are 2 wallys
I don't know that it can be simplified as "Ivy has resurrection powers." Wally was using the speedforce on the rose (same one that Harley threw off the bridge in an earlier issue, I think). The Green+Speedforce, I guess.
In HiC today, I actually liked the pages where Barry is running to each continent and talking to Batman.

ElNarez

Oct 28, 2017
I don't know that it can be simplified as "Ivy has resurrection powers." Wally was using the speedforce on the rose (same one that Harley threw off the bridge in an earlier issue, I think). The Green+Speedforce, I guess.
yeah I'm kinda assuming he dies from exertion, but considering how bad I am at predicting stuff I thought I'd leave well enough alone

also I will not tolerate slander about Batman because holy fucking shit King is on a run and y'all are still mad about the wedding

Aurica

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
also I will not tolerate slander about Batman because holy fucking shit King is on a run and y'all are still mad about the wedding
I'm not extreme in my love or hate for most series, and I refrain from making outraged comments most of the time. For me, King's Batman has incredible highs and incredible lows. Annual 2 is one of my favorite Batman things of the past decade, and I got it signed by King. I found the wedding distasteful, and some of the recent issues are a bit dull. I'll try to see his run to the end, though.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
You guys are missing a key HiC factor in those spoilers:

She was resurrected from a Rose lol! Like literally regrown from a flower.

I do like how King is making her more and more like Swamp Thing

deadman322

Oct 29, 2017
No it's two, Wally dies five days after the attack on Sanctuary from Something while Ivy watches, and then Something brings his body back to five days earlier so it seems like he died with everyone else

also, Wally is just real lonely because the book is about how it's unhealthy to be alone with your thoughts when you've been through some fucked up shit, and you should get help, not just regular help but also help from the people around you because you're not alone and also maybe they need help
there was already two wally wests, add one more, you get three.

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
I'mma reserve my judgement until this stuff is over and then judge it on its own.

Some y'all is hyperbolic as fuck.

Aurica

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
You guys are missing a key HiC factor in those spoilers:

She was resurrected from a Rose lol! Like literally regrown from a flower.

I do like how King is making her more and more like Swamp Thing
I didn't miss that. I said it! Don't ignore me :(
I'mma reserve my judgement until this stuff is over and then judge it on its own.

This is how I feel. The series seems like it's meant to make fans feel this sort of discomfort and anger, so I'll wait for the resolution. Maybe I'll think it's bad, but I want to see it completed before I make the decision. Either way, it's been worth reading for the discourse alone.

Aurica

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
I'm catching up on Guardians of the Galaxy, and I kinda forgot some of the stuff from issue one. Was Starfox all fucked up from something in issue one, or was that something in Lemire's Thanos I'm forgetting?

SeanShards

Oct 25, 2017

I get that perspective, but I've always been adamant that if you want to sell a series in installments, then we're entitled to judge them as they come out. I don't think that's unreasonable. Maybe the ending will tie it all up nicely, but it was sold as a murder mystery, and part of that is building the mystery from chapter to chapter. Reading it I don't get the excitement of "I can't wait to see what's behind all this", here I just get bewilderment.

Anyway, I don't mean any disrespect to yourself. Just a bit of a tangent.

Porl

Nov 6, 2017
Oh, since we're bringing this topic back, can you explain the last Batman issue? Cause I saw you say it was the most amazing issue ever and I feel like I missed something? It just felt dumb?? and pointless??? Like, at least the other Knightmares issues had some substance, but this one is just.... no........
Like, I get it, they start on a rooftop and keep falling until they're deep in the sewers, ha ha "All The Way Down", but Beep Beep???? the fuck does that mean?
What is the point of this issue. Great art and action. But the story???????

Christian

Oct 25, 2017
In HiC today, I actually liked the pages where Barry is running to each continent and talking to Batman.

Yeah, I especially like that they just had a crossover tie-in that results in Flash telling Batman to go fuck himself because of everything that's happened at Sanctuary and to Wally, followed by this issue acting like none of that ever happened. But there's pithy dialogue, so it's fine.

deadman322

Oct 29, 2017
0p79ebly7oo21.png

least he's with lian again.

Aurica

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
Someone spoil Heroes in Crisis for me

ElNarez or whoever else is reading
I'll try to give you a bit more context. Batgirl and Harley are trying to get through Booster's shield for some reason, and Ted Kord casually mentions to Batgirl that the shield is hooked up to his ship, which is hooked up to his consciousness. She punches him so he's unconscious, so Booster's shield goes down. They start working together after Harley nearly kills Booster and they have a moment together. They discuss that Wally's dead body was five days older than it should have been. It has now been five days since they discovered his death, so they discuss how they can find a possibly alive Wally in the present time before he's killed and sent back to the past. If they use Skeets to locate time manipulation with Ted Kord's satellite system to boost the power, they may find where Wally is.

Meanwhile, Batman is searching for Wally or a clue to where Wally may be on his computer, while Barry runs to each continent to search for him.

Wally is shown from the beginning of the issue to be using the Speedforce on a rose to make it bloom. At the end of the issue, he succeeds, and Ivy blooms from it (she had died earlier, so this was a resurrection). This may be the rose that Harley had of Ivy's and threw off a bridge in a sort of farewell to her memory in an earlier issue. Doesn't seem that crazy to me that a character who is part of The Green could be easily resurrected from plantlife. Wally states that Ivy will witness his death, and a second Wally appears in front of them.

The End

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
King's Batman might not be for me, but I totally understand why there is a large majority of people who love it. Im sure the same discussions were had during Morrison's Batman. They would be wrong in that case though, but still.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
yeah I'm kinda assuming he dies from exertion, but considering how bad I am at predicting stuff I thought I'd leave well enough alone

Knightmares is bad. I don't care about the wedding, I never believed DC would let them get married anyway.

ElNarez

Oct 28, 2017
Oh, since we're bringing this topic back, can you explain the last Batman issue? Cause I saw you say it was the most amazing issue ever and I feel like I missed something? It just felt dumb?? and pointless??? Like, at least the other Knightmares issues had some substance, but this one is just.... no........
Like, I get it, they start on a rooftop and keep falling until they're deep in the sewers, ha ha "All The Way Down", but Beep Beep???? the fuck does that mean?
What is the point of this issue. Great art and action. But the story???????

I thought the reference was made really obvious, doubly so with the callback to Batman/Elmer Fudd.

ruhTPnb.png

For the rest, well

It's Batman's fear of being trapped in an endless chase for the truth about the fucked up shit he's been through lately expressed as a Road Runner cartoon

I mean again, mostly it's a formal exercise, it's maybe the one issue of Knightmares with the least relevance to the current plot of Batman, but I think it was really cool and daring in a way only a comic this deep in a run can get. (And they ever rarely do)

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
I'm catching up on Guardians of the Galaxy, and I kinda forgot some of the stuff from issue one. Was Starfox all fucked up from something in issue one, or was that something in Lemire's Thanos I'm forgetting?

It was from the first issue. There was some explosion if I remember when everyone was gathered around and talking about Thanos-and that's when Starfox got burnt and ended up in Professor X's 90s wheelchair.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Black Panther #10 - Kind of done with this storyline... think it could have been trimmed to half the issues and has the same effect. Way too decompressed (and not enough of Emperor N'Jadaka).

Amazing Spider-Man #18 - Was hoping for a bit more momentum here, but this was mostly setup. Really happy that they finally threw Black Ant to the lions - that's honestly been bothering me this whole run. And did not expect Mr. Centipede to be making an appearance here! Interesting in seeing what role he plays, though I assume that's going to be secondary until Issue #25 and on.

Invaders #3 - Relatively weak for this series (and also the issue with the least Namor - this is no coincidence). Still enjoying it though, and eager to see what's revealed next issue.

Terrifics #14 - Nice! Mrs. Terrific is alive and in the mainline universe! Was really hoping she'd stick around. Every arc of this series has felt like "hey, the real story starts... NOW!" without actually starting. So it's a cool groundwork and I'm glad they're letting it play out with a new writer.

Action Comics #1009 - I really like how global this series is, and particularly love Superman doing his light-speed worldwide investigating. A bit Bendis-speak in parts but still solid. Gets me excited for his big Leviathan book.

Detective Comics #1000 - Big step down from Action #1000 (or maybe I just like Superman more?). Some solid stories in there, but the last two (from King and Tomasi) were pretty bad and soured my overall feelings on the book. But looking it over again, the Snyder/Capullo story was really cool, the O'Neil/Epting one was a nice take, the Dini/Nguyen one was of course super cute, and I absolutely LOVED the voice Ellis had for Batman.

So yeah, there was good stuff in there. Worth picking up.

GringoSuave89

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
LA, CA
While I enjoy King's Batman run and get it's not for everyone, this knightmares arc is really a dull intermission. Feels like it's just buying time for the main story. Some of them have been interesting but it's by and large just treading water.

Status
Not open for further replies.