• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What is the best way to read comics?

• LCS Floppies Weekly

Votes: 15 9.8%
  • Physical Trades

Votes: 50 32.7%
  • Digital Issues Weekly

Votes: 44 28.8%
  • Digital Trades

Votes: 44 28.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
Seems japan really loves spiderverse.

My japanese art twitter feed has become nothing but spiders.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Why is there a non-Director's Cut version of Magnificent Ms. Marvel #1 up on CMX this week? Is this a new Marvel experiement to get an extra $1 out of people to read a book earlier?

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
Why is there a non-Director's Cut version of Magnificent Ms. Marvel #1 up on CMX this week? Is this a new Marvel experiement to get an extra $1 out of people to read a book earlier?
The Director's Cut was $4 on the week of release and then the next week the raised the price and put out a regular version at the old price. They did the same thing with Daredevil.

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
I used to, but everything becomes so outdated so quickly in comics, why even bother?
Also this. By the time one of those comes out, I'm sure a character's full status quo has changed and their profile isn't relevant anymore.

Basically they look good on the shelf, but they're mostly for people who like these characters but don't want to spend the ton of time investing in them that is required with comics.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Also this. By the time one of those comes out, I'm sure a character's full status quo has changed and their profile isn't relevant anymore.

Basically they look good on the shelf, but they're mostly for people who like these characters but don't want to spend the ton of time investing in them that is required with comics.
Which is silly, because an hour on the DC/Marvel/Image/etc Wiki or Wikipedia will tell them all they need to know on damn near everything.

cbrotherson

Freelance Games & Comic Book Writer
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Birmingham
Now that State of Play and moving house are mostly done, I can slowly reintegrate myself back into society...

First up - ya'll been recommending/talking about Venom... thank you. Picked up the first few issues and enjoying it. Great work by the creative team on a character who is very, very easy to get wrong. Does it maintain this general quality throughout?

Second - anyone read Batman: White Knight? Worth picking up?

Thirdly - for those who were interested in my imminent sci-fi-/fantasy short story anthology (Deadlier Than... ), here's some new artwork from one of the tales (a genre story about mental health and discrimination called The Cure for Fire):

D2g0bwYWwAAaIb1.jpg

Very lucky to be working with an amazing art team on that story - Olivia Samson (Critical Role: Vox Machina Origins), Ted Brandt (Mighty Captain Marvel; CROWDED) and Kit Buss (Critical Role: Season 1; Cloven: Bloodlines).

Currently a couple of high profile pros have some nice stuff to say about Deadlier Than... which will give us a nice little extra push during the forthcoming pre-order campaign, so if I'm lucky enough that any of you stumble across it in the wilds of the 'net, don't be afraid to say hi :)

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
do people in here buy the marvel encyclopedias,or the dc character guides? I was thinking abought getting these so i can learn more about the characters.

I have the most recent DC Encyclopedia and plan to get the new Marvel one when it releases soon.

They are pretty, filled with great art and designed to attract your attention on each page. Basically good coffee table books but not close to as good as just reading a wiki for real insight. You get blurbs that give minimal info, just enough to understand the basics, but the books aren't really made for research. Still, they are fun to flip through and look at the pretty pics, and get a few sentences on background if that is enough for you.

SeanShards

Oct 25, 2017
do people in here buy the marvel encyclopedias,or the dc character guides? I was thinking abought getting these so i can learn more about the characters.

I bought the DC Encyclopedia a few years ago....to play Scribblenauts Unmasked. They used it as a reference, so every character listed in the book is in the game.

I then bought the Marvel one a month or two later because it seemed lonely. I tend to get a lot of these style of books from friends in Secret Santas and such (in fairness, it's a nice gesture, and they usually don't have a clue what to buy me).

cbrotherson

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Birmingham

Cheers.

No no no nonononono no no not this again no please not again

Wait, what hornet's nest have I accidentally kicked...?

Whoa! That anthology looks interesting. And you have Ted Brandt? That's cool

Thanks! Yeah, it's a bit of a long story in terms of how Ted got involved, but I'm glad that he did - sterling work. There's a bit more info on a whole here.

EDIT: And a fellow Mother 3 fan, I see ;-)

tim1138

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Some thoughts on Tec 1000.

The best story by far is the Denny O'Neil/Steve Epting story, followed by Ellis/Clooney. The Synder/Capullo story is legitimately the first Batman thing by Snyder I've liked, but good lord does Capullo draw the worst
Elongated Man
I've ever seen. Bendis/Maleev was fine for what it was, as was Priest/Adams. Tynion/Martinez-Bueno was really good. Johns/Jones could have been good if it wasn't marred by some of the laziest Kelley Jones art I've ever seen. Hands down the worst thing in it is the Tom King bit. It's kind of amazing how little feel he still has for the extended Batfamily's voices.

cbrotherson

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Birmingham

Wow. Okay, asked and now answered. I won't inquire why it's such a car wreck, but I'm definitely curious...

Theres a free War of the Realms teaser issue thing out today.
Its kind of a running joke here.

I definitely missed it. The Comics thread here moves at a pace I can't keep up with.

it is a painful existance
Ain't that the truth. (That said, I'm still on the line of thinking that the series is being remade. No insider info, just based on the current industry climate, having worked with all three companies and how strange the whole back and forth has been. But that's enough OT).

Oct 25, 2017
White Knight has great SGM art but the writing is nowhere near the quality of the art. SGM writes Joker almost like a self-insert character and it's super hokey. It's not the worst thing in the world, it's worth a read if you're curious at all

cbrotherson

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Birmingham
White Knight has great SGM art but the writing is nowhere near the quality of the art. SGM writes Joker almost like a self-insert character and it's super hokey. It's not the worst thing in the world, it's worth a read if you're curious at all

Thank you - I was getting the odd reviews which said similar, but there was an overwhelming positive slant drowning this out.

hipsterpants

Oct 25, 2017
Ramos was great last issue but there's some whack stuff this time around. That flashback MJ is horrifying. Hunted has been amazing so far otherwise, the suspense is real.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Have you guys been following this Tom Taylor thing, where he booked a creepy log cabin to write in lol? I guess Time and Mashable did stories on it??

looks like it starts here:

This has to be a stunt right?

Last edited:

Sou Da

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Daredevil and Invaders, the Chip double dip remains at the top for some of the best monthly cape comics

Status
Not open for further replies.