• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 24, 2019
Are we just talking super hero comics? Cause some stuff from the 1910s is still great to read/look at, and you can see the obvious influences that've rippled through the generations into your Chris Wares and what not.
I think you could put Little Nemo or Krazy Kat in front of someone who doesn't know any better and tell them they're brand new comics from some indie weirdos put out on Fantagraphics or something like that.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
Are we just talking super hero comics? Cause some stuff from the 1910s is still great to read/look at, and you can see the obvious influences that've rippled through the generations into your Chris Wares and what not.
I think you could put Little Nemo or Krazy Kat in front of someone who doesn't know any better and tell them they're brand new comics from some indie weirdos put out on Fantagraphics or something like that.

Yeah I guess what I'm trying to do is get as much superhero history as possible without reading stuff like early Green Lantern, where Hal Jordan struggles with a guy because he's wearing an all yellow suit lol.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

A lot of that is just a matter of newspaper comics vs. comic books. All of the money and talent was in the papers, the books were just chaff pushed out for kids. Not without merit, of course - there's some great artistry in there, a lot of talented workers - but it's like the gap between movies and TV until the past few years. You can tell which one was the more "serious" platform for creatives.

But of course, even in the day you had your "prestige" quality books - was EC Comics was the HBO of 50s comics? Yes, definitely.

DapperGoop

Jan 14, 2018
If you wanna avoid the MCU synergy (which is really heavy if you're coming away from the DnA run), just skip to Cates then Ewing tbh.
That's funny, the Cates Guardians run is the first thing I read a while back and I remember feeling like I missed a ton of shit. But if all the MCU synergy stuff sucks, I'll just skip it and reread Cates and then on to Ewing.

R0b1n

Jun 29, 2018
That's funny, the Cates Guardians run is the first thing I read a while back and I remember feeling like I missed a ton of shit. But if all the MCU synergy stuff sucks, I'll just skip it and reread Cates and then on to Ewing.
You can skip cates and go straight to Ewing if you want. That's what I (mostly) did and I'm not lost at all

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
I posted this yesterday:

5Sugk1e.jpg

But I just realized that they totally spoil the Cap plot-twist so you don't even think he's actually a Hydra agent. I'm not up to Secret Empire but so far I'm really digging the run and I especially like Hydra cap working against Sam without Sam knowing it.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

There's the Gerry Duggan run before that which is pretty good - inessential, and it ends with a big crappy crossover event (Infinity Wars), but a solid attempt to blend together the Bendis era, MCU sludge with the DnA era goodness. Then Cates takes the ball from there with all his cosmic stuff.

Nothing of value at all between the DNA-era and Duggan taking over. Unless you count the Sam Alexander Nova stuff, which is mostly good, at least from when Duggan takes over, funny enough. Gerry Duggan, the garbageman of cosmic Marvel.

DapperGoop

Jan 14, 2018
You can skip cates and go straight to Ewing if you want. That's what I (mostly) did and I'm not lost at all
I remember the Cates stuff having a lot of cool setups with a bunch of characters that didn't really go anywhere interesting. Art was stellar though, I don't know why Phyla-Vell looks like she does now but it's awesome.

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
This why I don't read Tom Taylor books. Ya'll keep hyping him up and I'm not reading none of that. Nightwing is solid though. Probably the best Nightwing has been in over a decade.
I mean, just because he wrote Injustice (which are pretty widely praised, though I haven't read them), DCeased (which is really good), and is now writing Dark Ages, doesn't mean All-New Wolverine and X-Men Red weren't fantastic (they were). His creator-owned book over at BOOM!, Seven Secrets is pretty awesome. I haven't read Batman Detective yet, nor did I read Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man, but I recall the latter getting quite a bit of pop.

Only book of his I read and did not like was Superior Iron Man, which I enjoyed at the time, but in hindsight maybe not so much.

And yeah Nightwing's been fantastic. So was his Suicide Squad (damn near perfection).

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017

Whether it sucks or not is up to you, but to me it felt nothing like the Guardians I'd read that made me a fan.

I mean, just because he wrote Injustice (which are pretty widely praised, though I haven't read them), DCeased (which is really good), and is now writing Dark Ages, doesn't mean All-New Wolverine and X-Men Red weren't fantastic (they were). His creator-owned book over at BOOM!, Seven Secrets is pretty awesome. I haven't read Batman Detective yet, nor did I read Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man, but I recall the latter getting quite a bit of pop.

Only book of his I read and did not like was Superior Iron Man, which I enjoyed at the time, but in hindsight maybe not so much.

And yeah Nightwing's been fantastic. So was his Suicide Squad (damn near perfection).

That X-Men run was mid, I never got why it was being hyped like that. I don't think he's a bad writer btw, his projects just haven't landed that much with me. His Superior Iron Man is fine, btw. Probably still one of the Top 10 best runs, but then I basically think his entire Director of SHIELD era belongs in the garbage.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
This just makes me miss the initial pitch of Deku as a Batman like hero with no powers. Who has to rely on his wits and tech to survive.

CXSHwQD.jpg

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
Was there ever actually an initial pitch, or do people just say that? Because it upsets me. I haven't caught up on My Hero Academia (either the anime or the manga), but like there's so much more potential in Deku having to learn how to use a superpower he was never supposed to have, yet instead was given. Discovering and embracing and living up to the legacy aspects is something that I think is pretty outstanding and unique as well (the stuff with Mirio and Nighteye is fucking pure platinum). It beats having someone with just no powers: another Batman or Ironman or Green Arrow or what have you trotting around punching above his weight. Deku's already punching above his weight because his power breaks his body because it doesn't belong to him, and it's a struggle he constantly has physically and emotionally.

To have him powerless doesn't work for the world, and quite frankly if you really want that story, Black Clover is right over yonder. If I'm being frank, Black Clover does that part far better because the world building and overall cast are both much stronger as opposed to just shooting for big moments and payoffs.

Like I said I can't argue specific points. I haven't caught up all the way on either side, but like, it just bugs me.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
Was there ever actually an initial pitch, or do people just say that? Because it upsets me. I haven't caught up on My Hero Academia (either the anime or the manga), but like there's so much more potential in Deku having to learn how to use a superpower he was never supposed to have, yet instead was given. Discovering and embracing and living up to the legacy aspects is something that I think is pretty outstanding and unique as well (the stuff with Mirio and Nighteye is fucking pure platinum). It beats having someone with just no powers: another Batman or Ironman or Green Arrow or what have you trotting around punching above his weight. Deku's already punching above his weight because his power breaks his body because it doesn't belong to him, and it's a struggle he constantly has physically and emotionally.

To have him powerless doesn't work for the world, and quite frankly if you really want that story, Black Clover is right over yonder. If I'm being frank, Black Clover does that part far better because the world building and overall cast are both much stronger as opposed to just shooting for big moments and payoffs.

Like I said I can't argue specific points. I haven't caught up all the way on either side, but like, it just bugs me.

This is a far better way of saying what I was thinking, which was legit just: I'm tired of Batman, yo. I'm also tired of people without powers becoming "the greatest hero". Batman can't beat Superman and Captain America can't beat Iron Man.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
People just say that. The first 15 minutes of episode 1 prepare you for one thing and then there's a swerve. Thats it.
No that was the original concept.
Izuku even had a different name 'Mimuko'.

I get that there is too much Batman these days, but I still like the idea of a quirkless kid using tech and luck to get by.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I guess what I'm trying to do is get as much superhero history as possible without reading stuff like early Green Lantern, where Hal Jordan struggles with a guy because he's wearing an all yellow suit lol.
Have you ever read Supergods, by Grant Morrison? It's a sort of autobiography/comics history. All words no pictures, tho.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Theres a Supergods documentary film with Morrison as well, but its not the same as the book. The book delves into Morrison's childhood, living with the fear of the nuke I guess since they lived close to a base or something. Havent read it in years, but a neat look at Morrison's perspective.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Theres a Supergods documentary film with Morrison as well, but its not the same as the book. The book delves into Morrison's childhood, living with the fear of the nuke I guess since they lived close to a base or something. Havent read it in years, but a neat look at Morrison's perspective.
Did the movie get into that bit where they swear they turned a temple into a rampaging stone lion with chaos magic?

It's a great read, honestly, both for the Morrison-ness and the history.

Last edited:

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Did the movie get into that bit where he swears he turned a temple into a rampaging stone lion with chaos magic?

Its been so long that I cant remember which stories were from the Supergods documentary and which are just random stories ive heard him tell on podcasts and stuff.

The one I remember is the story about him climbing one of those super long steps to some temple, while on acid or something lol. So he thought he was climbing some infinite stairwell to aliens or something.

And the Chaos Magic story. The one where he gave the main character in the Invisibles some flesh eating virus, and then Morrison himself started to also get sick, which lead him to believe that he was connected to the main character of his book through chaos magic.

Theres another video of some conference when Morrison was working on Batman where he gives a tutorial on how to use Chaos Magic. You have to draw a sigil and the masturbate, while thinking about what you want.

I could never get it to work tho

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017

Mx0 did it right.

(As did Iris Zero.)

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
I tried Bkack Clover and thought it was pretty awful honestly.
Nothing about it grabbed me.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
No that was the original concept.
Izuku even had a different name 'Mimuko'.

I get that there is too much Batman these days, but I still like the idea of a quirkless kid using tech and luck to get by.

This was back when Uraraka (originally named Yu Takeyama) was going to have the powers that were later given to Mt. Lady, right?

latest

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Did the movie get into that bit where he swears he turned a temple into a rampaging stone lion with chaos magic?

Its been so long that I cant remember which stories were from the Supergods documentary and which are just random stories ive heard him tell on podcasts and stuff.

The one I remember is the story about him climbing one of those super long steps to some temple, while on acid or something lol. So he thought he was climbing some infinite stairwell to aliens or something.

And the Chaos Magic story. The one where he gave the main character in the Invisibles some flesh eating virus, and then Morrison himself started to also get sick, which lead him to believe that he was connected to the main character of his book through chaos magic.

Theres another video of some conference when Morrison was working on Batman where he gives a tutorial on how to use Chaos Magic. You have to draw a sigil and the masturbate, while thinking about what you want.

I could never get it to work tho

Heads up but Morrison came out as NB last year.

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

I am leaving this community!
Oct 25, 2017
The original My Hero designs are wild. Some of these designs would have been terrible choices... Like All Might was one step from disaster. Shigi is nightmare fuel. Deku looks like a Tim Burton creation. Bakugo was originally a preppy snob.

5b60f403307b586d9da3cb15790c124e5f14b4a8_hq.jpg

075edef1e41342e3679e2715fe8a771d.png

latest

f4cb4ecc52f24dda64d4e9b4cadcb0cc.jpg

He nailed most of the students though

Original Toga looks like Gawr Gura 🤣

3cf.jpg

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
Should I go all in on the X books, just stick to all the Hickman books, or stick to the mainline Hickman books?
At least get Marauders and Hellions as well. Which are excellent.
Most of the X books are solid though, with a few exceptions like Fallen Angels (which was cancelled early) and Excalibur (which unfortunately wasn't)

Deleted member 19813

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
At least get Marauders and Hellions as well. Which are excellent.
Most of the X books are solid though, with a few exceptions like Fallen Angels (which was cancelled early) and Excalibur (which unfortunately wasn't)

I plan to get the House of X and Powers of X hardcover. I have X-Men #1 pre-ordered. I'll pick up any back issues or trades I need.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
Have you ever read Supergods, by Grant Morrison? It's a sort of autobiography/comics history. All words no pictures, tho.

I love Supergods, actually. Grant makes the Golden Age sound like this incredible mythology. I should give it a re-read but in this instance I was looking to compress the actual superhero comic history down to like 50 years.

hipsterpants

Oct 25, 2017
Read some stuff

Supergirl - I really enjoyed this one. Been a while since I read a cape comic written this differently, and I very much dug it. Evely's art is a perfect fit too. I guess I'm following a King maxi series monthly now.

Nightwing - still a good time but Taylor's losing me a bit here. The twist was whatever, but this book has some decompression problems. Redondo is probably 70% of why this book is still selling me.

Captain America Annual - fucking weird, like I got some cop vibes here? I haven't read Black Widow for a hot minute but she was just going to execute this dude? Ferreyra slaying on the backups though

Joker - super late on this one, feeling like I might drop it though. It's good, but seems like something better read on trade.

Might finally start on Plague of Frogs if I actually do something other than play video games this weekend.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
OP
OP
Messi

Messi

I am leaving this community!
Oct 25, 2017
Messi who did you anger for this?
www.resetera.com

Remember when Messi's favorite hero, Marvel's Bootleg Tarzan beat the breaks off The Mad Titan Thanos? Bonus Thanos has never taken a direct L

Kevin Plunder was the son of a british minor noble who was trying to claim the Savage Land for britian, they were attacked and dad was killed and Kevin was rescued by Zabu a sabertooth tiger and grew up having many adventures in the Savage land. In the 90s when everyone was getting a Solo...

This is the pre 2012 art y'all enjoy?? I could never.

Status
Not open for further replies.