• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
how are the 3 mighty morphin power rangers hardcover deluxe edition are they good?
YES they are, but you might have a hard time finding one of them. Think its Year Two thats Out of print and overpriced.

The Shattered Grid crossover HC is a lot of fun. And theres a 4th HC coming soonish, with the follow up arc Beyond the Grid. But I havent read that stuff yet.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Why is it always one volume that goes out of print when it comes to these collections? Another reason digital comics are superior.
Oh I know lol. Thats stopped me from buying a few different series in the past in physical collections.

I just like the feel of reading a nice oversized hardcover over a tablet. But digital is so much damn cheaper.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Oh I know lol. Thats stopped me from buying a few different series in the past in physical collections.

I just like the feel of reading a nice oversized hardcover over a tablet. But digital is so much damn cheaper.

It's not only the convenience of digital. For a lot of things in my life, I've learned to appreciate just NOT owning so much stuff.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty crazy that they gave Kyle Higgins the MMPR book/series to run all on his own since he was pretty new at the time. Was reading an article the other day and he said they basically gave him free reign after seeing how well the book was doing. Guess he wrote out a plan for a movie based on the Shattered Grid idea, and even got whats his face on board, but then Hasbro or whoever bought up the rights and tossed it. And we got their shit movie instead.

It's not only the convenience of digital. For a lot of things in my life, I've learned to appreciate just NOT owning so much stuff.
True. Moving these things is gunna suck eventually.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
lol Higgins is getting slammed on Twitter by people freaking out over DC. They all think that DC is going to stop doing single issues and switch to tpbs only, OR they think that DC will release singles digitally only and then print TPBs. Either way, theres literally no indication that thats what they want to do, and actually goes against what they said in that press release saying they want to expand their market, not shrink it lol.

Comics fans are insane.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
They all think that DC is going to stop doing single issues and switch to tpbs only

tenor.gif

Please don't tease me like that.

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
Any fellow digital readers use a comic image on their devices?

C2WLay6.jpg

I have Judge Dredd on my lock screen but at the moment it's after 10pm on a saturday night and I'm far too chill and lazy to do the screengrab. Just imagine it's excellent anyway.
My phone lock and home:

Robin 80th Anniversary variant by Yasmine Putri

it delayed. there's no new solicitation for it yet, but online retailers all switched to this new release date.

101511174_10164120830450647_4998141699638165504_o.jpg
Oh that's delayed as FUCK

Vic likes his superhero-ass superhero art.
Damn right
So... I got to reading Birds of Prey.

I expected the racism.

What I didn't expect was some of the worst dialogue I've read in years.

"...pasty-ass ass."
"It feels good to be good."
"Then let's warm you up ending a few bad ones."

It was cringe inducing. Like the polar opposite of Far Sector.

The structuring of the monologuing was all over the place. When you get confused as to which person is doing the dialogue, you're doing it wrong.

Also, there's a lot of dumb shit going on. Why didn't Renee pistol whip Harley when she managed to get close enough to put the gun to her head? Why didn't Canary simply do the cry a second time on the Joker's goons?

I don't mind that Dinah's a lot more promiscuous is this book, but there's no way you can convince me that any version of her would ignore someone asking for help. This is someone who tended to Roy and his drug addiction when Ollie didn't.

The use of panels makes the fights hard to decipher in general. Even simple techniques such as using angles to note which side a character is are abandoned completely.

And WFT was that ending. We don't even get a resolution to it all? It might be because DC pulled the cord on it, but I've seen cancelled books pull it off much better (RIP Future Foundation). But seeing how the book played out, they would have probably messed that up even with all the time in the world.

If there's a Razzie Award for comics, this book should be nominated for worst comic.
Fucking garbage. Worst comic I've read in a long while. Since America #1, maybe. Or Death Force #1.

BUT

The Duck-Duck-Goose joke was funny.
Pretty crazy that they gave Kyle Higgins the MMPR book/series to run all on his own since he was pretty new at the time. Was reading an article the other day and he said they basically gave him free reign after seeing how well the book was doing. Guess he wrote out a plan for a movie based on the Shattered Grid idea, and even got whats his face on board, but then Hasbro or whoever bought up the rights and tossed it. And we got their shit movie instead.

True. Moving these things is gunna suck eventually.
He's not that new. He had all of New 52 Nightwing under his belt at this point.

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
I did some back tracking to confirm it: Burds of Prey brought in some of Dinah's supporting cast from her solo from a few years ago. It only served to piss me off even more considering what happened.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Finished The Omega Men. That shot of Kyle breaking off his cross necklace and putting it in the blood, having it disappear beneath it. That shot of Kyle smiling as he's being told another war is coming and to pick a side. Shivers.

I think The Omega Men started at its strongest and grew weaker issue by issue. It didn't have that same consistency, that grand design that his later books did. But it still had great themes, a great story, and great moments.

Going to keep the Tom King train going and read Vision next. Not my first read, but I'm still really looking forward to it.

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
I did some back tracking to confirm it: Burds of Prey brought in some of Dinah's supporting cast from her solo from a few years ago. It only served to piss me off even more considering what happened.
Yeah Azz bringing in the band literally just to do that was unforgivable. Especially since the band hasn't been relevant since she left them in her solo.

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
Lol, the Batwoman show is going to replace Kate with a brand new character as the titular hero for season 2. Guess I am glad I didn't bother with the show yet, cause I just lost any interests right there.

GringoSuave89

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
LA, CA
I dunno, that description of the casting call screams made for tv Stephanie Brown to me. Honestly that character and Tim are both perfect for the CW as much as it pains me to say.

But then... why even call it Batwoman? I know it would be making the best out of a messy situation but...

And I say this as someone who ADORES Steph

Sou Da

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But then... why even call it Batwoman? I know it would be making the best out of a messy situation but...

And I say this as someone who ADORES Steph
She'd be Batwoman, I don't expect her to be Batgirl.

Also what the fuck happened to that Nightwing movie that the director was collecting feedback on twitter for?

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
I dunno, that description of the casting call screams made for tv Stephanie Brown to me. Honestly that character and Tim are both perfect for the CW as much as it pains me to say.

I am all for Steph and Tim being perfect for the CW, but Steph becoming Batwoman after Kate getting screwed like this along with her dad, Alice, and other supporting characters relating to Kate would feel so wrong.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
They want to keep as an out lesbian, so you wouldn't get Stephanie and Tim. There's also a good chance that Tim is off limits for the CW with Stephanie possibly being in the same boat. I'm guessing they go for an original character.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If I got into X-Men can I just read Marauders, Excalibur and New Mutants? Will they get inundated with crossovers?

R0b1n

Jun 29, 2018
Playing through spider-man right now and the way the demons speak Chinese is so exaggerated it makes me laugh even at "serious" moments

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

I am leaving this community!
Oct 25, 2017
Playing through spider-man right now and the way the demons speak Chinese is so exaggerated it makes me laugh even at "serious" moments

Playing it right now and the cutscenes where I don't play are good but I continue to just not like Peter Parker. I wish it was Miles. Maybe in the sequel.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
The casting description does sound like it could be Steph as the new Batwoman, but im also really hoping its not. Id rather she be a supporting character on the show, preferably as Spoiler at first.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
DCBService.com has finally updated their listings for the month of June. The big stuff theyve got available to preorder are the Morrison JLA omni, Lucifer vol 2 Omni, Batman Road to No Man's Land omni, The New Mutants omni, and the Blade of the Immortal DLX HC Vol. 1.

This link should show everything they have available for this month, sorted by highest price first: https://www.dcbservice.com/products/specials

Beginning to rethink getting the Morrison JLA omni. I wanted everything collected, not just the Grant Morrison stuff damnit. And I would have paid for two individual volumes to get it. I am getting that Blade of the Immortal DLX though!

I was thinking about it the other night. I wonder if they do the omnis like that because its easier to distinguish which issues are in it. The only omnis I know of that arent done like that is the X-Men omnis that started from the very beginning. Nowadays, they would list them as the Stan Lee X-Men omnis and would have excluded issues not written by him. I guess they could have called this the JLA 2000 Omni vol 1 if they really wanted too, but I bet that would have still been a bit complicated for the average fan.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
DCBService.com has finally updated their listings for the month of June. The big stuff theyve got available to preorder are the Morrison JLA omni, Lucifer vol 2 Omni, Batman Road to No Man's Land omni, The New Mutants omni, and the Blade of the Immortal DLX HC Vol. 1.

This link should show everything they have available for this month, sorted by highest price first: https://www.dcbservice.com/products/specials

Beginning to rethink getting the Morrison JLA omni. I wanted everything collected, not just the Grant Morrison stuff damnit. And I would have paid for two individual volumes to get it. I am getting that Blade of the Immortal DLX though!

I was thinking about it the other night. I wonder if they do the omnis like that because its easier to distinguish which issues are in it. The only omnis I know of that arent done like that is the X-Men omnis that started from the very beginning. Nowadays, they would list them as the Stan Lee X-Men omnis and would have excluded issues not written by him. I guess they could have called this the JLA 2000 Omni vol 1 if they really wanted too, but I bet that would have still been a bit complicated for the average fan.
hmm. i don't usually use dcbs for buying omnis, preferring IST instead, but IST's stock issues and the lack of 50% discounts is getting to me. even with shipping dcbs might be the cheaper (and safer) choice.

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017

Overall, it looks to be a golden/silver/bronze age thing vs modern comics. People buying the older runs in 2020 are gonna be completionist types. DC has their Bronze age/Silver age omnis. Marvel has their original Avengers/Thor/X-Men/Fantastic Four collected by issue numbers. But the modern omnis have a broader possible market and they are bundled by event or creative teams. And that makes sense, the narrative structure and beat of modern cape comics has changed too.

hipsterpants

Oct 25, 2017
oh no i am buying comics in the year 2020

AMETHYST #3
DAREDEVIL #20 gonna read the first chunk all in one go
JUSTICE LEAGUE ODYSSEY #21
NEW MUTANTS #10
PUNCHLINE #92
THE FLASH #755

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
So Larson's run makes some odd retcons to Babs. The first being that she wrote not only the code but also the language for Arkham Asylum's security program, which I think may have been pre-Flashpoint but given her age since the New 52 it's super weird

The second is that she was Batgirl before moving to Gotham City. Meaning Chicago had a Batgirl first. And that she was Batgirl in high school. Really hurts her origins as Batgirl as a whole in my opinion.

Last edited:

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
hmm. i don't usually use dcbs for buying omnis, preferring IST instead, but IST's stock issues and the lack of 50% discounts is getting to me. even with shipping dcbs might be the cheaper (and safer) choice.
All your doing using DCBService is pre-ordering the books that would be listed on IST before hand. Still the same company/warehouse. Your just ensuring that you get one before they sell out on IST the day they are listed. Same discount too, except you have to pay shipping. But I think they do that because people usually buy in bulk from DCBS and its a flat rate.

I would use them more often, but I usually forget to check or just dont have the cash to pre-order ahead of time. But as you said, with everything going on, im going to be using DCBS more than I used too. They just havent had anything Ive wanted until now.

EDIT: And with the experience im having currently with CheapGraphicNovels.com, im never pre-ordering anything from them again lol. Hell, I didnt even know I was pre-ordering until after, and I still have no idea when or if my book is coming. And it appears as though they dont like doing cancellations, which I get but in this case they need to just be more transparent as to what is going on with orders.

Overall, it looks to be a golden/silver/bronze age thing vs modern comics. People buying the older runs in 2020 are gonna be completionist types. DC has their Bronze age/Silver age omnis. Marvel has their original Avengers/Thor/X-Men/Fantastic Four collected by issue numbers. But the modern omnis have a broader possible market and they are bundled by event or creative teams. And that makes sense, the narrative structure and beat of modern cape comics has changed too.
Usually I would totally agree with that. But with books like the Morrison JLA or the upcoming Hellblazer omni, I want the whole thing collected, not just certain creator's issues.

Last edited:

GringoSuave89

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
LA, CA
So Larson's run makes some odd retcons to Babs. The first being that she wrote not only the code but also the language for Arkham Asylum's security program, which I think may have been pre-Flashpoint but given her age since the New 52 it's super weird

The second is that she was Batgirl before moving to Gotham City. Meaning Chicago had a Batgirl first. And that she was Batgirl in high school. Really hurts her origins as Batgirl as a whole in my opinion.

Its change for the sake of change. New 52 did it, and while not as much so does Rebirth.

Christian

Oct 25, 2017
Started reading Spurrier's Hellblazer last night, with the one-shot onto the first issue of the ongoing. I'm hooked. I wish they got Takara to do the monthly art, too, because the one-shot is just amazing all-around, but Spurrier seems at his best here. I'll be adding it to my pulls going forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.