• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 24, 2019
The Hickman hype has actually been cooling off on the X-books, at least before the plague arrived. While X-Men was still doing really well, the rest had started to settle in to more regular numbers. Which is still great compared to what it was, but it still has been falling victim to the same trends as most relaunches. Hellions and Cable both opened significantly lower than the previous DoX titles too.

X of Swords will save us all!

R0b1n

Jun 29, 2018
Oh shit the site went live and I didnt even know lol. Its nowhere near finished, need to figure out how to take it down, but feel free to check it out while its still up!

Comicsera.com
I think you can easily toggle maintenance mode with a plugin if you have problems taking it down

Edit: Nvm, I see it's already down

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
I think I put it in Under Construction now lol. I read that it might mess up the Google Indexing though, so I dunno if that will mess things up. But oh well.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Just got to this arc in Red Hood that is basically them going into space to help Kori protect her homeworld from an invasion by the Blight, and man this is exactly what I want to see more of. Sadly after flipping through the omni, it doesnt look like there is lol, AND to make matters worse, its the last arc Rocafort worked on lol. I think he probably started working on Ewing's Ultimates, which I get it.

Kunxxpw7q1EkAsPfRNbcEANwn4Ew_KPtawTYVtmE6LD7p3_JPKPrAuqABAVxRLD934h8aO-TziRXWjT7Hgo_t_f1m-IN1Q4HeT_9CQZ82YQaRvkzlwuQu99NRiUhgZZXBGY8dMDzoA=s1600

Uqu_XeX-b48rw062FYj4vxzX-0yFTbitUpB25WM0vgrr1P13X76J2Ld65fVkqaROIOQYsiReOmUEb2BaalF7-z5obC5SCLqDw8W_3FiMs6ueqpAo75Oq4tGxjA_7go3Yg-W0Pi_0Rw=s1600

Its straight up GotG, but with DC characters, and Starfire/Kori is Star Lord lol.

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
We might laugh at both sites (atomicavenue and milehighcomics) but they are the best, and sometimes only, options to find reasonably priced older issues. -_-

And tbh, I find them easier to navigate than instocktrades or cheapgraphicnovels or midtowncomics.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
I just recently used MyComicsShop.com because I couldnt find the issues I needed anywhere else. Not sure how the shipping is though, im still waiting on them lol. I also used Midtowncomics because they had a 70% off deal, but there was a bunch of stuff I couldnt find on their site.

Waiting on like 4 or 5 crossover issues for the Young Justice run, then im ready to send them out to be bound! Super excited. Curious to see how much itll end up costing after everything is said and done. If its still pretty cheap, I might start buying trades to bundle up and have bound for series I want.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Messi's crusade against classic comic book art will not be tolerated.

May 24, 2019
Why don't you two narrow it to like 1997-2012. Everyone can agree on dunking on all the bad anime influence and gradient coloring.

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

I am leaving this community!
Oct 25, 2017
May 24, 2019
If they had Photoshop back then, they'd have basically been coloring everything with the paint bucket tool. 😐

A modern presentation of golden/silver age art looks like that because the texture inherent to the printing process and rough paper is gone. That's why modern folks paying tribute to that stuff use half-tone dots and grain n stuff.

Digital/glossy versions of comics that old should have actual vintage paper scans.

Last edited:

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Anything pre-2012 drawn by Carlos Pacheco. Hes actually somehow gotten worse as time goes on lol.

Im also a big fan of the Ed McGuinnes art around that time. Same with Andy Kubert, BUT he has been colored pretty poorly in the past. Basically everything after digital coloring/birth of Image comics, I enjoy.

Oh oh, Ed Benes!

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

Oct 25, 2017
The entire Jack Kirby catalogue.

What I've read has nice lines and the coloring does it a disservice. I do like Kirbys lines though. They could still pass today.

Manga is timeless

tumblr_m7w4fnvZmf1rpp093o1_500.jpg

A classic for the ages

You got a problem with tall people? They look like fine strapping lads.

We could make a huge list of endless works, but if I'm playing to you as judge, it's still easy. Batwoman: Elegy was 2010.
Jh is one of the exceptions like Conner and Cooke. Some people's art is just timeless

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

Oct 25, 2017
Anything pre-2012 drawn by Carlos Pacheco. Hes actually somehow gotten worse as time goes on lol.

Im also a big fan of the Ed McGuinnes art around that time. Same with Andy Kubert, BUT he has been colored pretty poorly in the past. Basically everything after digital coloring/birth of Image comics, I enjoy.

Oh oh, Ed Benes!

Ed McGuinnes not even once. His art on Avengers is just bad.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
Just went to my LCS for the first time in three or four months. The owner was SUPER pumped about DC taking Diamond out of the equation. He said he had switched to UCS as soon as he was able to. He showed me on his computer how he paid $75 shipping on one box of comics from Diamond, whereas for TWO boxes of comics from UCS he pays $12.50 shipping.

GringoSuave89

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
LA, CA
Just went to my LCS for the first time in three or four months. The owner was SUPER pumped about DC taking Diamond out of the equation. He said he had switched to UCS as soon as he was able to. He showed me on his computer how he paid $75 shipping on one box of comics from Diamond, whereas for TWO boxes of comics from UCS he pays $12.50 shipping.

I know this is just one shop's experience but damn that's nuts.

Sibersk Esto

Changed the hierarchy of thread titles
Oct 25, 2017
Jose luis garcia lopez, Jack Kirby, Art Adams, Mike Golden, George Perez, Bernie Wrightson, Mike Mignola, tim sale, jim steranko, john buscema,, alex toth, norm breyfogle, stuart immonen, Bill Sienkiewicz, Paul Gulacy, Chris Bachalo, Frazer Irving, Walter Simonson, Joe Kubert, Tony Moore, Francis Manapul, Francesco Francavilla, Jon Bogdanove, Marcos Martin, Mike Zeck, Bob Layton, John Romita Sr, John Romita Jr, David Aja, Joe Quinones, Greg Smallwood, dave gibbons, Barry Windsor Smith

Is a pretty solid list for me of pre 2012 comic artists

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Jose luis garcia lopez, Jack Kirby, Art Adams, Mike Golden, George Perez, Bernie Wrightson, Mike Mignola, tim sale, jim steranko, john buscema,, alex toth, norm breyfogle, stuart immonen, Bill Sienkiewicz, Paul Gulacy, Chris Bachalo, Frazer Irving, Walter Simonson, Joe Kubert, Tony Moore, Francis Manapul, Francesco Francavilla, Jon Bogdanove, Marcos Martin, Mike Zeck, Bob Layton, John Romita Sr, John Romita Jr, David Aja, Joe Quinones, Greg Smallwood, dave gibbons, Barry Windsor Smith

0/10 not enough moe - Messi, probably

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

Oct 25, 2017

Bachalo, Immonen and Quinones you can keep the rest. Quinones draws in a very post 2012 way too. Bachalos style went from something I couldn't stand to loving the new stuff.

Maybe Aja but he doesn't do enough work anymore for me to care.

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
So... I got to reading Birds of Prey.

I expected the racism.

What I didn't expect was some of the worst dialogue I've read in years.

"...pasty-ass ass."
"It feels good to be good."
"Then let's warm you up ending a few bad ones."

It was cringe inducing. Like the polar opposite of Far Sector.

The structuring of the monologuing was all over the place. When you get confused as to which person is doing the dialogue, you're doing it wrong.

Also, there's a lot of dumb shit going on. Why didn't Renee pistol whip Harley when she managed to get close enough to put the gun to her head? Why didn't Canary simply do the cry a second time on the Joker's goons?

I don't mind that Dinah's a lot more promiscuous is this book, but there's no way you can convince me that any version of her would ignore someone asking for help. This is someone who tended to Roy and his drug addiction when Ollie didn't.

The use of panels makes the fights hard to decipher in general. Even simple techniques such as using angles to note which side a character is are abandoned completely.

And WFT was that ending. We don't even get a resolution to it all? It might be because DC pulled the cord on it, but I've seen cancelled books pull it off much better (RIP Future Foundation). But seeing how the book played out, they would have probably messed that up even with all the time in the world.

If there's a Razzie Award for comics, this book should be nominated for worst comic.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.