• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
Since I haven't been keeping up with a lot of stuff, I stopped buying monthlies that I'm behind on. Waiting for sales to catch up on almost everything. That helps, at least.

Hellers

Oct 27, 2017
SPSpRt8.jpg

Aurica

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
I was about to make my ShortBox order, but damn... importing indie comics from the UK is expensive. I'll have to cut something, and even then... I thought I was ready for this :(

Vordan

Aug 12, 2018
I was more talking about pricing stuctures and what you get for your money rather than the stories. I was definitely interested in Death Metal and 5G but I never held out any hope that DC were capable of actually pulling off a relaunch. I'm onboard for the Hickman X-Men stuff and stuff like Immortal Hulk though.

*Edit* Ah sales. Yes. Can understand totally. Most of my life I've prefered DC but that's definitely changed over the last few years.
Yeah sales-wise the Hix-Men relaunch basically rejuvenated the X-Men brand, and has helped propel Marvel into capturing almost 50% of the direct market. DC has been trying out a bunch of different methods of producing and distributing comics with stuff like the Walmart Giants, digital firsts like DCEASED: World's End, and their Black Label/Kids imprints. With Didio gone I'm interested in seeing what their next relaunch will be like. They've had a couple writers on the sidelines they could bring in who would help improve the linewide quality.
I think we're all better off without DiDio in the picture, honestly.
At the very least it will hopefully mean the Titans can get revamped so they can stop being a dumpster fire.

Hellers

Oct 27, 2017
I've only read a bit of Saga. I have the three omnibus editions in my Comixology collection but it's one of many in my huge backlog. I did enjoy what I read of it though.

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

I am leaving this community!
Oct 25, 2017
I've only read a bit of Saga. I have the three omnibus editions in my Comixology collection but it's one of many in my huge backlog. I did enjoy what I read of it though.

One of the best comics ever created. Shows that there can be good comics sometimes. It's rare though.

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
The market has to change at some point surely? Physical retail is dying on its arse and comic book stores by their very niche nature are even more at risk. Add in a pandemic and a probably damaged economy afterwards and an already stagnating comic market could be in serious trouble if it doesn't plan for the worst.

I don't follow the sales figures? How were they doing before we all caught the plague?

When I bought physical I used to spend £30-40 a week just on floppies that took me no time to get through. I can't justify that these days. I think the best value for money I used to get were the black and white DC and marvel collections of stuff on toilet paper.

Of course it needs to change. Comics are too expensive, on the production, distribution, and sales side of things. Their lunch is getting eaten by other sources, especially in regards to younger readers. And Diamond was some shit.

Problem is, the change is going to hurt. Look over at films: A big chain like AMC has absolutely fucked up in the handling of their theaters, leading to more folks wanting movies on digital platforms, but that's a whole different business model. And in that transition, theaters are going to hurt, theater owners and employees are going to hurt, and if you're dead set on the full theatrical experience for your work, you're SOL.

Not Diamond will eventually be better, hopefully, than Diamond's monopoly. But comic shop owners have been blindsided by a new system that at least at the moment, they believe will hurt their business. At a time when their business is already on its knees. Whether they're carriage owners in a time of automobiles remains to be seen, but in the meantime, it's not like digital picks up enough of the slack to say "fuck comic stores".

So, largely a mess all around.

Hellers

Oct 27, 2017
Any fellow digital readers use a comic image on their devices?

C2WLay6.jpg

I have Judge Dredd on my lock screen but at the moment it's after 10pm on a saturday night and I'm far too chill and lazy to do the screengrab. Just imagine it's excellent anyway.

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017

C2WLay6.jpg

I have Judge Dredd on my lock screen but at the moment it's after 10pm on a saturday night and I'm far too chill and lazy to do the screengrab. Just imagine it's excellent anyway.

Not on my tablet (I should find something).

But use this on my phone.

gZnG6PY.jpg

Hellers

Oct 27, 2017
Changing my tablet wallpaper is a thing I never got around to. I probably should. Artgerm stuff would pretty much all make great backgrounds.

I tend to swing between wanting something striking and something very simple. Quite often I'll just set it to a very simple colour or basic pattern and then other times out comes Spider

R0b1n

Jun 29, 2018

C2WLay6.jpg

Had this for my phone background since I got my phone
b884abea-ba38-47d9-aodjra.jpeg

Tyrant Rave

Has A Pretty Cool Jacket
Oct 25, 2017
My phone wallpaper is one of Annie Wu's Harley pieces actually. But I was thinking of changing it to a commission of mine that I've had.

Aurica

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US

C2WLay6.jpg

I have illustrations by Tillie Walden (that aren't from any of her comics) as my lock screen and home screen.
Scan40.jpg

R0b1n

Jun 29, 2018
I think I'm going to re-read all of Claremont X-men soon. It has been a long time since my first read and with all the DoX things going on I feel like I should go back to the classics as well

GIV BIRB THE RUBS PLS.
Don't worry, not going to miss a chance of touching their soft neck feathers

Tyrant Rave

Has A Pretty Cool Jacket
Oct 25, 2017
well aizo, you got me. I ordered ShortBox books:
Sobek
Minotaar
Tender artbook
Cat & Bag

these were the ones to catch my attention... interested in reading them! Look very interesting.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Oh shit the site went live and I didnt even know lol. Its nowhere near finished, need to figure out how to take it down, but feel free to check it out while its still up!

Comicsera.com

hipsterpants

Oct 25, 2017
The Hickman hype has actually been cooling off on the X-books, at least before the plague arrived. While X-Men was still doing really well, the rest had started to settle in to more regular numbers. Which is still great compared to what it was, but it still has been falling victim to the same trends as most relaunches. Hellions and Cable both opened significantly lower than the previous DoX titles too.

Status
Not open for further replies.