• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tim1138

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I think they had some of the Arrow show writers do a brief stint after Lemire, but it didn't really work and they only lasted a volume or two. I've always been sort of curious about Percy's New 52 run, because I love his Rebirth run but I hear it's mostly crappy.

But yeah, Lemire's run is top notch, easily one of the best eras for Green Arrow. I'd say it's second only to Grell, honestly... and maybe O'Neil.

Percy's DCYou run on Green Arrow was not great, but apparently a lot of that came from editorial. He's said in the past there were a lot of restrictions on what he could actually do with the character and a lot of his ideas were rejected. Rebirth was so good because all of those restrictions were gone and he could bring Dinah in and have Ollie in costume and things like that.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
I was just curious if Lemire's run ran all the way until the end of the New 52. I didnt want to continue, at least not until Percy's run on Rebirth.

Was debating between getting the HC for Lemire's GA or Avengers No Surrender. This is what happens when the Gov gives me money and all the other books are delayed till who knows when.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
How was the JLA run after Grant Morrison left? Someone has a custom bound set of JLA omnis that covers the Mark Waid stuff, through the Joe Kelly stuff, but I dunno how that stuff is. I kinda want them just for the Mark Waid issues thatll be missing from the Morrison JLA omni.

SpaceSong

Oct 25, 2017
Mark Waid did the Tower of Babel. So yeah, JLA was in capable hands after Morrison. Good stuff!

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
Thinking more about whether the organizations were progressive, I have a feeling maybe they never were. Someone like Kirby or Lee or Claremont or writers bigger than the pubs were allowed to write what they want. But the rank and file editorial directives always seem fence sitting.

Even now, maybe Morrison or Gaiman have control but Sejic's Harley/Ivy won't get permission.

Gary Groth in that interview said till recently, Marvel/DC would not work with any writers or artists who involved their agents. It took till Gaiman for that to happen and even then, creative control was agreed upon at a tiered level. Not all creators had the same leeway. And people had to be content with what they get.

So anything progressive we got out of the big 2, came in spite of the pubs, not because of them.
Look at what Berger was trying with Sandman Mystery Theatre or Shade the Changing Man. But then she got silently demoted sideways and eventually driven out of the org.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
The site is starting to finally come together!

What is the best Photoshop alternative? Not trying to pay monthly lol.

I made these with the Wix logo maker, but im not paying them for just 1 design I made myself lol.

0WDLtmB.png

Wait, nvm here it is:

P9M8DK2.png

Last edited:

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017

I made these with the Wix logo maker, but im not paying them for just 1 design I made myself lol.

0WDLtmB.png

Wait, nvm here it is:

P9M8DK2.png
i use gimp. lots of tutorials, even if it can be cumbersome at times.

May 24, 2019
How was the JLA run after Grant Morrison left? Someone has a custom bound set of JLA omnis that covers the Mark Waid stuff, through the Joe Kelly stuff, but I dunno how that stuff is. I kinda want them just for the Mark Waid issues thatll be missing from the Morrison JLA omni.

Joe Kelly's is my favourite JLA (or maybe tied with JLI.) It's a must read.

Astro Cat

Mar 29, 2019
Waid did Tower of Babel after which is one of my favorite JLA stories ever. Then Joe Kelly did the Obsidian Age stuff which was also really, really good and uses a lot of lesser known characters. I think overall I liked post Morrison JLA more then when he did it which now that I think of it is insane.

Tyrant Rave

Has A Pretty Cool Jacket
Oct 25, 2017
I only read Morrison's run on JLA, but yeah common consensus is it stays great even after he leaves. It ran for a long time too so that's really impressive.

Eleriu

The Fallen - Teyvat Traveler
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

0WDLtmB.png

Wait, nvm here it is:

P9M8DK2.png
GIMP is okay if you're doing very simple edits. I used it for a number of years, but it's pretty cumbersome in many areas. If you want to throw some money away then I recommend just buying Affinity Photo. There's no subscription service, you pay $50 (or in this case $25 since it's on sale right now due to the pandemic happenings) and that's it.

Tyrant Rave

Has A Pretty Cool Jacket
Oct 25, 2017
Vic_Viper I'm not sure if it's still around, but Paint.NET was the only freeware image editing program I cared for back in the day. I absolutely hate GIMP's interface and found it to be a miserable experience because of it. Paint.NET was kind of like Photoshop with its UI so it was much more pleasant.

*I switched to Photoshop over a decade ago so I'm not sure what the non-PS scene is like these days. But back then, there was no competition.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Joe Kelly's is my favourite JLA (or maybe tied with JLI.) It's a must read.
Waid did Tower of Babel after which is one of my favorite JLA stories ever. Then Joe Kelly did the Obsidian Age stuff which was also really, really good and uses a lot of lesser known characters. I think overall I liked post Morrison JLA more then when he did it which now that I think of it is insane.
Ok, thanks for the feedback lol. After the thread about Kelly's Superman I wasnt sure how his JLA run was received.

GIMP is okay if you're doing very simple edits. I used it for a number of years, but it's pretty cumbersome in many areas. If you want to throw some money away then I recommend just buying Affinity Photo. There's no subscription service, you pay $50 (or in this case $25 since it's on sale right now due to the pandemic happenings) and that's it.
Yea I was wondering about Affinity. Whats the difference between Affinity Designer and Affinity Photo? Like, which one would I use the most for stuff like Logos? Photo is what I would want for making banners and just all around editing photos, but does it also do text?

SeanShards

Oct 25, 2017

Get the Affinity suite. One-off payment, 50% off sale and they have 90 day free trials atm because of Covid.

affinity.serif.com

Affinity – Professional Creative Software

From the smoothest photo editing and design software to next-gen page layout, Affinity is pushing the boundaries of what’s possible with creative technology.

There's also GIMP (Graphic Image Manipulation Program, get your mind out of the gutter!), which is free and I use it a bit myself, but the learning curve is much steeper.

www.gimp.org

GIMP

GIMP - The GNU Image Manipulation Program: The Free and Open Source Image Editor

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Get the Affinity suite. One-off payment, 50% off sale and they have 90 day free trials atm because of Covid.

affinity.serif.com

Affinity – Professional Creative Software

From the smoothest photo editing and design software to next-gen page layout, Affinity is pushing the boundaries of what’s possible with creative technology.
I dont see an option to buy Photo and Designer in like an all in one bundle, but I can just buy both.

I used to use Photoshop years ago, but when they switched to a subscription type model I said nope.

Thanks for the help everyone!

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
I want to make sure I have all my bases covered before I launch the site. I need to look into the legal stuff to make sure im protected lol. I think I just need to setup an LLC, but I need to do some research to find out for sure.

Looks like Marvel is liquidating a bunch of Omnis. Both of the Frank Miller Daredevil Omnis are on the list. I wonder what that means, I still need the Companion Omni.
  1. Avengers By John Byrne Omnibus
  2. Avengers: The Vibranium Collection Slipcase
  3. Captain America Omnibus Vol. 1
  4. Captain America: The 75th Anniversary Vibranium Collection Slipcase
  5. Daredevil By Frank Miller & Klaus Janson Omnibus
  6. Daredevil By Frank Miller Omnibus Companion
  7. Deadpool Classic Omnibus Vol. 1
  8. Deadpool Minibus
  9. Elektra By Frank Miller Omnibus
  10. Fantastic Four By Matt Fraction Omnibus
  11. Guardians Of The Galaxy By Abnett & Lanning Omnibus
  12. Guardians Of The Galaxy Solo Classic Omnibus
  13. King-Size Kirby Slipcase
  14. Marvel Firsts: The 1990s Omnibus
  15. Marvel Now! Omnibus
  16. Marvel Universe By John Byrne Omnibus
  17. Marvel's Agent Carter: Season One Declassified Slipcase
  18. Marvel's Agents Of SHIELD.: Season Two Declassified Slipcase
  19. Marvel's Avengers: Age Of Ultron – The Art Of The Movie Slipcase
  20. Marvel's Captain America: Civil War – The Art Of The Movie Slipcase (Movie Cover)
  21. Marvels: The Platinum Edition Slipcase
  22. Muppet Babies Omnibus
  23. Oz Omnibus
  24. Squadron Supreme Classic Omnibus
  25. Stan Lee: Marvel Treasury Edition Slipcase
  26. Star Wars: Droids & Ewoks Omnibus Droids Cover
  27. The Amazing Spider-Man: Behind The Scenes & Beyond The Web Slipcase
  28. The Marvel Legacy Of Jack Kirby Slipcase
  29. The Muppets Omnibus Langridge Cover
  30. The Road To Marvel's Avengers: Age Of Ultron – The Art Of The Marvel Cinematic Universe
    Slipcase
  31. Ultimate Marvel Omnibus Vol. 1
  32. X-Men: The Adamantium Collection Slipcase

The Amazon listing is for a 3rd party seller and they already have the Companion listed at 50% off. Wonder if it will go down because of this.

Last edited:

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
I was gonna make a ShortBox order a few months ago, but Sobek was out of stock. Looks like everything is in stock now, so I'm looking at getting these:

Minotaar by Lissa Treiman
Cry Wolf Girl by Ariel Ries
Don't Go Without Me by Rosemary Valero-O'Connell
Sobek by James Stokoe

Anything else great from them/everything on this list worth it?

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I want to make sure I have all my bases covered before I launch the site. I need to look into the legal stuff to make sure im protected lol. I think I just need to setup an LLC, but I need to do some research to find out for sure.

Looks like Marvel is liquidating a bunch of Omnis. Both of the Frank Miller Daredevil Omnis are on the list. I wonder what that means, I still need the Companion Omni.

The Amazon listing is for a 3rd party seller and they already have the Companion listed at 50% off. Wonder if it will go down because of this.
liquidation just means that they're selling remaining stock to retailers at a discounted price, with no current plans to reprint. retailers can discount those books if they choose. liquidated books tend to drop in price before skyrocketing, since reprints of liquidated books are somewhat rare.

I'm a big Emily Caroll fan and I think Beneath the Dead Oak Tree is a ShortBox jam.

Last edited:

Aurica

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
I was buying issues of the zine, Frontier, for a couple years. ShortBox gives me a similar feeling, but I think its focus is more the kind of stuff I wanted out of Frontier. A few too many Frontier issues were like collections of random art from artists. Although it was interesting, I much preferred the issues that were real comics, like Jillian Tamaki's SexCoven (later published in Boundless).
I'm a big Emily Caroll fan and I think Beneath the Dead Oak Tree is a ShortBox jam.
Added.

Tyrant Rave

Has A Pretty Cool Jacket
Oct 25, 2017
I was gonna make a ShortBox order a few months ago, but Sobek was out of stock. Looks like everything is in stock now, so I'm looking at getting these:

Minotaar by Lissa Treiman
Cry Wolf Girl by Ariel Ries
Don't Go Without Me by Rosemary Valero-O'Connell
Sobek by James Stokoe

Anything else great from them/everything on this list worth it?
Let me know what you think of Don't Go Without Me. I really loved it. The Making Of book that came with the Kickstarter edition was pretty nice too. Has some interesting commentary by Rosemary and shows some of her thumbnails and sketches. Also has some playlist recommendations for each story. She recommends the Kaiba OST for What is Left for example. Figure you might find that interesting!

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
liquidation just means that they're selling remaining stock to retailers at a discounted price, with no current plans to reprint. retailers can discount those books if they choose. liquidated books tend to drop in price before skyrocketing, since reprints of liquidated books are somewhat rare.

Ok thanks lol. Glad I was able to get the Frank Miller DD omnis then. I had been putting them off for years.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017

The best Photoshop alternative I've seen is Affinity Photo. It's a one-time cost of $50, and it entitles you to all future iterations as well. And it's on sale for 50% off right now. So $25.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like the Netflix Movie for The Last Days of American Crime is a dud. Which tbh was to be expected. I just had hope that they were turning things around after Extraction, along with having Remender helping on the script. But of all the action movie directors, they chose the Taken 3 guy lol.

The best Photoshop alternative I've seen is Affinity Photo. It's a one-time cost of $50, and it entitles you to all future iterations as well. And it's on sale for 50% off right now. So $25.
Yea im gunna go with that, thanks!

Astro Cat

Mar 29, 2019
Sounds like the Netflix Movie for The Last Days of American Crime is a dud. Which tbh was to be expected. I just had hope that they were turning things around after Extraction, along with having Remender helping on the script. But of all the action movie directors, they chose the Taken 3 guy lol.
My exact thoughts. I loved Extraction even if I had low expectations. I watched 10 min of Last Days before I figured it was bad since I didn't see anyone talk about it then I looked at reviews and that was enough. Netflix should've picked up Deadly Class instead. Cowards.

ElNarez

Oct 28, 2017
this, by former DC CEO Diane Nelson as reported by the Beat, may be as good a word on the DC/Diamond split as we're gonna get and as such let me post it in full:

I'm afraid I've not been privy to this recent decision. I can say purely as a private individual that Diamond has, for a long time, been unwilling or unable to modernize and support and grow the biz as needed for a healthy direct channel. And may not even be solvent. It would be imprudent for any publisher to not have a distribution contingency plan. I am disappointed by the communications roll out if the decision, as it seems (from my admittedly removed and limited POV) not nearly robust enough and to not have offered retailers sufficient notice and explanation as to what I'm sure is a reasonable and probably even advantageous decision for them. It's never good for any company to have a monopoly on a business and Diamond has for too long. I'm optimistic DC will help retailers understand how to navigate the transition. And I'd almost guarantee (I would guarantee but as I say, I'm not privy to this) that there's no way DC or WB have a financial stake in these distributors.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The LCS relationship with Diamond seems fundamentally broken to me. They mostly acknowledge that Diamond sucks but then go on to say that leaving them would be a disruption. It's language reminiscent of a hostage or someone who wants to leave a bad relationship but talks them out of doing so.
Diamond should have been dumped long ago.

Hellers

Oct 27, 2017
I've been digital only for a while now but the singles prices for digital are just a joke. I mostly buy trades and even then prefer to wait for the (Not as good as they used to be) sales. I fill in the gaps with Marvel U and Manga which at least give me good value for money.

And I still end up spending a fortune every month. WHAT IS WRONG WITH US? :)

But my 2000AD and Megazine subs are definitely worth the money

Aurica

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
I've been digital only for a while now but the singles prices for digital are just a joke. I mostly buy trades and even then prefer to wait for the (Not as good as they used to be) sales. I fill in the gaps with Marvel U and Manga which at least give me good value for money.

And I still end up spending a fortune every month. WHAT IS WRONG WITH US? :)

But my 2000AD and Megazine subs are definitely worth the money
All about them sale prices.

Aurica

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
They used to be amazing sales on Comixology in the UK but now the prices are much higher :( They used to be super impulse buy territory too.
Ooh... UK... yeah... That's definitely rough.

On the topic of digital comic pricing, my friend who I share a CMX account with seems to have fallen out of comics. We used to talk weekly every Wednesday morning and pick out which comics we were buying, and then we'd split the cost. Since the pandemic halted lots of weeklies, we haven't been doing that, and before that, we weren't really reading as much as we had been. I'm worried that I'm gonna be back on my own to buy comics, which I can't afford. Maybe have to go the Marvel Unlimited route and try to be patient ;_;

R0b1n

Jun 29, 2018
Ooh... UK... yeah... That's definitely rough.

On the topic of digital comic pricing, my friend who I share a CMX account with seems to have fallen out of comics. We used to talk weekly every Wednesday morning and pick out which comics we were buying, and then we'd split the cost. Since the pandemic halted lots of weeklies, we haven't been doing that, and before that, we weren't really reading as much as we had been. I'm worried that I'm gonna be back on my own to buy comics, which I can't afford. Maybe have to go the Marvel Unlimited route and try to be patient ;_;
The MU route is a good one, I use that for almost all minis/limited series. Plus there's a lot of older stuff on there

Now if only DCU can come to my region...

Hellers

Oct 27, 2017
DC releasing 79p (Insert your own currency there) singles during lockdown has been interesting. They seem to be about 17 pages each and I would consider that a very much more realistic price. Has anyone read these? Are they reprints or new stories? Maybe that's an experiment from DC as a possible future direction. At that price I'd certainly be buying more singles.

Hellers

Oct 27, 2017
The MU route is a good one, I use that for almost all minis/limited series. Plus there's a lot of older stuff on there

Yup. I love my Marvel U sub. I'd kill each and everyone of you without remorse (Maybe a little) for a DC U. I love me some silver age DC.

Aurica

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US

I can imagine waiting six months, but I do like being part of the zeitgeist, y'know? If I read DC comics a year out, I dunno... I guess it would be good, because even if I bought a couple things monthly, it would make me seriously reconsider which series I believe are super worth reading.

SeanShards

Oct 25, 2017
DC releasing 79p (Insert your own currency there) singles during lockdown has been interesting. They seem to be about 17 pages each and I would consider that a very much more realistic price. Has anyone read these? Are they reprints or new stories? Maybe that's an experiment from DC as a possible future direction. At that price I'd certainly be buying more singles.

They are reprints, but of material that would've only been available in the Walmart 100-Page Giants before now.

Hellers

Oct 27, 2017
The market has to change at some point surely? Physical retail is dying on its arse and comic book stores by their very niche nature are even more at risk. Add in a pandemic and a probably damaged economy afterwards and an already stagnating comic market could be in serious trouble if it doesn't plan for the worst.

I don't follow the sales figures? How were they doing before we all caught the plague?

When I bought physical I used to spend £30-40 a week just on floppies that took me no time to get through. I can't justify that these days. I think the best value for money I used to get were the black and white DC and marvel collections of stuff on toilet paper.

Hellers

Oct 27, 2017
They are reprints, but of material that would've only been available in the Walmart 100-Page Giants before now.

Oh cool. I've never been able to read those. I think I'll start buying a few and see what they're like. 79p is back in impulse buy territory.

I'm hyped for next week though. The new volume of my fave comic is out. Komi Can't Communicate vol 7. KOMI HYPE TRAIN

Najimi's sudden declaration of a Christmas Eve party at Komi's house sends the friends into a flurry of last-minute gift shopping and Komi into a fit of worrying. But when her friends all turn up with good cheer and a giant stuffed animal for her, it turns out Najimi wasn't just being impulsive -- there's a special surprise for Komi too!

LOOK AT HOW NICE IT IS

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
COVID really put a damper on things for a lot of people. I don't read nearly as many comics as I did before. I can't say I dislike spending so much less on books, though. I'm definitely going to try to keep buying under $10/wk in comics.

Shonen Jumps don't count.

Hellers

Oct 27, 2017
I find I'm reading just as much but it's almost all in Marvel U. I'm going through Thor from the start. A character I'd never much been interested in but it turns out he's loads better than I thought. It's starting to suck a bit now though. I think I must be hitting the 90s. The early stuff (Especially Lee and Kirby) is just fantastic and a real hoot compared to Iron Man of the same period where every week the useless sod runs out of power and nearly has a heart attack.

Vordan

Aug 12, 2018
The market has to change at some point surely? Physical retail is dying on its arse and comic book stores by their very niche nature are even more at risk. Add in a pandemic and a probably damaged economy afterwards and an already stagnating comic market could be in serious trouble if it doesn't plan for the worst.

I don't follow the sales figures? How were they doing before we all caught the plague?

When I bought physical I used to spend £30-40 a week just on floppies that took me no time to get through. I can't justify that these days. I think the best value for money I used to get were the black and white DC and marvel collections of stuff on toilet paper.
Marvel was rebounding thanks to Hix-Men and other creators. DC was in the toilet and were planning a relaunch of their own post-Death Metal, which is still the plan just radically reshaped with Didio out.

Hellers

Oct 27, 2017
Marvel was rebounding thanks to Hix-Men and other creators. DC was in the toilet and were planning a relaunch of their own post-Death Metal, which is still the plan just radically reshaped with Didio out.

I was more talking about pricing stuctures and what you get for your money rather than the stories. I was definitely interested in Death Metal and 5G but I never held out any hope that DC were capable of actually pulling off a relaunch. I'm onboard for the Hickman X-Men stuff and stuff like Immortal Hulk though.

*Edit* Ah sales. Yes. Can understand totally. Most of my life I've prefered DC but that's definitely changed over the last few years.

Status
Not open for further replies.