• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

_Aaron_

Oct 29, 2017

SAN DIEGO, CA (June 5, 2020) – In a year of comic market volatility and uncertainty, IDW is pledging its support for Direct Market comic retailers, by extending full returnability on all new releases through at least the end of July, and removing all associated fees for the foreseeable future. These moves help to provide comic specialty shops a risk-free opportunity to stock new launches and other key IDW releases — allowing retailers to order with confidence and effectively gauge customer demand.

To further support the comic shops taking advantage of the risk-free returnable programs, IDW is pledging to aggressively promote store traffic via social media initiatives, email messaging to subscribers, and additional means of customer outreach.

"Comic shops are the frontlines of the comic industry, where word-of-mouth, spinner racks, and staff hand-selling make all the difference in a comic book's success," says Chris Ryall, IDW's President, Publisher, and CCO. "It's our responsibility as publisher to make that process as low-stress as possible for our partners in the retail community. During a time like this, making it easier to stock our books is really the least we can do."

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Feel like ive read Snyder's Court of Owls so many times that I cant bother reading it again. Was going to get caught up in it so when I get to Death of the Family in Red Hood, I could by there in Snyder's Batman, but screw it. Just going to skip to it when the time comes, then just switch over to Batman Eternal after Red Hood or Deathstroke.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I paused reading One Piece around 2013 back when Sabo was revealed to be alive and never really got back to it. Reading One Piece weekly is hell. I told myself I'd wait a few months and let it build up...then months became years...

Never really fully got into the timeskip era of the manga either. Started off on the worst foot possible with Fishman Island.

Tyrant Rave

Has A Pretty Cool Jacket
Oct 25, 2017
I lurk this thread but don't post much, might as well ask y'all:

So I'm generally a Marvel guy (haven't read DC with any sort of consistency for probably a decade) but I've been in the mood for some Batman lately. What's a good, recent Batman run? Preferably something that's kinda finished but I'm open minded.
Batman Creature of the Night is a REALLY fucking good elseworlds story. Perfectly standalone and a really different take on the character. Because of that, you can just jump in.

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
I lurk this thread but don't post much, might as well ask y'all:

So I'm generally a Marvel guy (haven't read DC with any sort of consistency for probably a decade) but I've been in the mood for some Batman lately. What's a good, recent Batman run? Preferably something that's kinda finished but I'm open minded.
Batman Hush is a fun story and I don't care who knows
Batman Universe

I paused reading One Piece around 2013 back when Sabo was revealed to be alive and never really got back to it. Reading One Piece weekly is hell. I told myself I'd wait a few months and let it build up...then months became years...

Never really fully got into the timeskip era of the manga either. Started off on the worst foot possible with Fishman Island.
You and me both. Dressrosa was hell, but that's because Oda's health wasn't so great so the manga was going on a lot of hiatuses. His writing style makes reading it weekly rough though. He packs a lot into an issue. Also post-timeskip is less enjoyable and I don't want to go back to the anime. I want to go back and read the manga, but it's manga.

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
wth is pad on about?

Pgto5m2.png

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
wth is pad on about?

Pgto5m2.png
DC Comics just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about Comics culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in Manga where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over in America, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the American public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase DC Comics for either of their new distributors, nor will they purchase any of DC's games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but DC has alienated an entire market with this move.

DC, publicly apologize and reinstate diamond or you can kiss your business goodbye.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US

I don't know how much the rest of you know about Comics culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in Manga where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over in America, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the American public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase DC Comics for either of their new distributors, nor will they purchase any of DC's games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but DC has alienated an entire market with this move.

DC, publicly apologize and reinstate diamond or you can kiss your business goodbye.
First thing I thought of when I saw the pic.

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
I also have to wonder. In the age of the internet and online payments, can DC/Marvel really not afford to take this inhouse!? The overhead now must be much lower than when people were still struggling with mail order and paperwork. And not like Kickstarter/GoFundMe projects are not able to ship directly to individuals around the world (in this case, stores). They don't even need to worry about warehouse space

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017

Never gets old!

ElNarez

Oct 28, 2017
honestly there needs to be some fucking scrutiny right now as to how Lunar and UCS operate, because there's a full-court press from retailers right now saying the industry is doomed and I'm assuming it's total bullshit

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017

Sounds about right.
I also have to wonder. In the age of the internet and online payments, can DC/Marvel really not afford to take this inhouse!? The overhead now must be much lower than when people were still struggling with mail order and paperwork. And not like Kickstarter/GoFundMe projects are not able to ship directly to individuals around the world (in this case, stores). They don't even need to worry about warehouse space
Well Diamond only handles paper publishing, Marvel and DC and do as much Digital as they want so long as they have talent and a digital platform to put it on.

Right? Am I wrong on that? So I guess why not just outsource it if it's cheaper and then when shit gets bad just snip it.

RolandGunner

Oct 30, 2017

Physically distributing material is such a low margin business there is very little chance DC or Marvel want to get involved in it. Especially shipping a relatively low volume of materials to a bunch of small shops. They are paying a fraction for distribution to Diamond compared to one-off kickstarter projects.

ElNarez

Oct 28, 2017
and here it is

Diamond Response to DC Comics Announcement

This evening, I shared the following message with all the members of our Geppi Family Enterprises teams. I also wanted to share it with you, our many industry partners.

Today, DC sent out a retailer communication indicating they are ending their long-standing relationship with Diamond. In April, we were informed that DC was going to begin distributing products through additional partners. At that time, they asked us to submit a proposal for a revised agreement with the understanding that Diamond would continue to be one of their distributors. Which we promptly did. They then requested an extension to June 30 which we also accommodated. Last week, DC requested an additional extension through July. We responded with questions and DC indicated they would reply today, June 5. Instead of receiving a response, today we received a termination notice. While we had anticipated this as a possible outcome, we, like so many others in the industry, are disappointed by their decision to end our partnership so abruptly at this time.

Although we had hoped to reach an agreement with DC, every great change also presents great opportunity! Rest assured, Diamond is a strong company and our success does not depend on the actions of one business partner. While we recognize this change impacts the industry, we are well-positioned to seize growth opportunities and are committed to the success of our publishing partners, the Direct Market and our industry as a whole.

We continue to be excited about the growth potential in the comic, game and toy industries as well as growth opportunities for our other Geppi Family Enterprises companies. I truly believe that our comeback will be bigger than our setback and our best days are ahead.

Thank you for you continued support and for all you do.

-Steve
Steve Geppi

Chairman, Geppi Family Enterprises
Founder, Diamond Comic Distributors

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
I mean these new distributors have been tested for almost a month now, and have been shipping books directly to customers for years. I get what PAD is saying, but he is being a bit dramatic lol. If Diamond really does go under after this, then either Marvel switches to the new distributors OR one of the other book distributors buys Diamond out. I think it was Penguin Random House that was already in talks to do so.

ElNarez

Oct 28, 2017
if DC's call is "exclusive distributor agreements have almost killed the industry and they're what's keeping it stagnant right now", I feel like that's a reasonable take, that one might have, like me, it's a take I would have

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
if DC's call is "exclusive distributor agreements have almost killed the industry and they're what's keeping it stagnant right now", I feel like that's a reasonable take, that one might have, like me, it's a take I would have
Isn't this just going from one exclusive retailer to another?

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Black Panther on Fantastic Four or Storm on an X-Men book are my two that come to mind.

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
whatsinaname I suggested a handful if Eisner nominees to my library yesterday, and they already bought three and have them shipping. They emailed be about another that's not available through their vendors. They're working fast as hell. Damn!

Oh cool. They opening up soon?

Ours opens Monday. Thankfully, they have a pick-up locker system at my location.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
just curious. does anyone here think big two comics as a whole are progressive? or have been throughout history?

I think they've had too many different types of stories, characters, and writers to pin down a very specific ideology. If we're just talking strictly on the representation side... they're both pretty badly behind the curve and haven't done much to address it in meaningful ways. I think Silver/Bronze Age Marvel has had some relatively progressive stances compared to DC for its time and were more flippant about bypassing the Comics Code, and introduced characters like Black Panther and X-Men (the latter of which was very flawed as a symbol for marginalized people but came from good intentions).

The actual politics of the comics can range from "decent but still a superhero story" to "oh boy rich billionaires punching poor people" to "holy fuck this is just fascist propaganda." Superhero stories tend to dip into the problematic ideology because of the focus on great and powerful individuals protecting a status quo and punishing criminals. As far as heroic power fantasies go, you could do worse, but I don't think they've ever been particularly great in that regard, especially with the focus on white characters and history of minimizing/fridging/sexualizing their female characters.

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
There's not much to say about Wonder Woman except that they're getting ready to wrap things up.

Shazam was pretty fun as a stand-alone story during his solo days.

Far Sector was excellent as expected.

ElNarez

Oct 28, 2017
www.gamesradar.com

Comic book retailers unite in shock and anger over DC split with Diamond

The comic shop owners we spoke to are not seeing the good side of DC's move

These guys are mad.

Retailers we spoke to said the move means higher shipping costs to stores, lower discounting from Diamond, and even thinner profit margins.
these dumb motherfuckers really think Diamond got their monopoly by providing a better service than everyone else, and not because Marvel fucked up and launched a series of terrible exclusivity deals that killed every other distributor

Status
Not open for further replies.