• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
Messi

Messi

I am leaving this community!
Oct 25, 2017
Vinland Saga vs Fullmetal Alchemist vs Jojo

Pick one, keep me in mind as it will be me reading it.

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
just saw a retailer comparing DC quitting Diamond to people looting Target during protests and L M A O
I love (not really) how there's all these shitty retailers, and I got the one good one. Like he hated Diamond and talked about how they screwed him over. He's probably loving this. But also terrified, because change, but also change means competition and that's healthy.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
FMA is probably the safest choice. JoJo is great but inconsistent and a huge commitment. It's hard to not enjoy FMA.

RolandGunner

Oct 30, 2017
I think many shops have been incredibly resistant to change lately but Higgins is right that DC should have given them more time to prepare for this transition. Some serious shit must have gone down behind the scenes.

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

Oct 25, 2017
Am I supposed to watch the anime or read the Shonen Jump of FMA?

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

Oct 25, 2017
This is so impressive. I love that book.

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
Now is not the time to be suggesting FMA to Messi. Read that later Messi.

Read Yotsuba or Barakamon.

Or read the first few arcs of Naruto and Bleach.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
yar i think the manga is a really good place to start. both the animes are great in different ways, but have weird gaps that feel less bad if you've read the manga.
One Piece for good characters and character arcs, which I think is important to you. I don't think Naruto or Bleach are very good overall, despite strong beginnings.
one piece is definitely my favorite of the three, but I'm not sure how Messi would jive with the silliness and humor. he tends to like more straightforward stories.

GringoSuave89

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
LA, CA
This is so impressive. I love that book.

His first gig is one of the best comics I've ver read.

Cocky bastard

Seriously shit is so good.

Which reminds me, wtf was up with the latest Gotham Knight issue? They made Killer Moth into... a villain Batman respects? And isn't a joke? The whole time I'm reading it I'm waiting for the reveal that this is in KM's imagination or something but... nope.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
M8 read the manga, it's better.
I will always feel less ripped off by manga because you get so many more pages for your money.
Read Yotsuba or Barakamon.
nloHt1j.gif

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Vinland Saga vs Fullmetal Alchemist vs Jojo

Pick one, keep me in mind as it will be me reading it.
Full Metal Alchemist
Bleach vs Naruto vs One Piece

I started watching Haikyu and that is very much my jam.
Naruto

But honestly, probably none of them lol. I think you would like Naruto, up until the Shipuden stuff. The manga is still pretty good after that, but the show is by far a no go at that point.
Either read the manga, or watch FMA Brotherhood.

Youll love it either way. I think the manga is really well done though. Its just a matter of do you want to read it or do you want to watch the show. Both are great.

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017

Which reminds me, wtf was up with the latest Gotham Knight issue? They made Killer Moth into... a villain Batman respects? And isn't a joke? The whole time I'm reading it I'm waiting for the reveal that this is in KM's imagination or something but... nope.
I haven't read any of it, but that's an odd take. Killer Moth is one of those villains who should consistently never get respect. Ever.

R0b1n

Jun 29, 2018

Isn't KM basically the OG Batman but a villain? It makes sense when viewed this way

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I lurk this thread but don't post much, might as well ask y'all:

So I'm generally a Marvel guy (haven't read DC with any sort of consistency for probably a decade) but I've been in the mood for some Batman lately. What's a good, recent Batman run? Preferably something that's kinda finished but I'm open minded.

R0b1n

Jun 29, 2018
Had he ever been legit past the 30s and 40s? Most comics I've read had him as a loser.
I do remember him being treated as "not-a-joke" in a run with rather modern art, but this memory is so vague. But yeah, he's usually depicted as a joke

I don't have strong feelings about him either way. Still, a guy in a bat costume is just as cheesy as a guy in a moth costume. I wouldn't mind seeing killer moth be treated seriously again (especially if we get less joker stories)

GringoSuave89

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
LA, CA
I do remember him being treated as "not-a-joke" in a run with rather modern art, but this memory is so vague. But yeah, he's usually depicted as a joke

I don't have strong feelings about him either way. Still, a guy in a bat costume is just as cheesy as a guy in a moth costume. I wouldn't mind seeing killer moth be treated seriously again (especially if we get less joker stories)

True enough. It was just weird to see Batman saying "In a strange way he inspired me" about a guy that uses an armband literally labeled "gun magnet" in the same story.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

So I'm generally a Marvel guy (haven't read DC with any sort of consistency for probably a decade) but I've been in the mood for some Batman lately. What's a good, recent Batman run? Preferably something that's kinda finished but I'm open minded.

I mean, Batman's been consistently solid the last ~10 years. These are all finished:

Batman by Scott Snyder is pretty universally loved.
Batman by Tom King is more controversial, with a lot of love-it-or-hate-it stuff in there.
Detective Comics by by James Tynion IV is more of a Bat Family book, but also very solid.

And there's also Batman by Grant Morrison but I'm not sure if that's in your "recent" category. Same with Paul Dini's Detective Comics run.

May 24, 2019

If you do digital, the recent digital comic they've been releasing during Covid is good and a low barrier of entry (single issue storylines and $1 price)

After that, try Scott Snyder's run. The next big DC event is a continuation of what started there, so you might catch up.

Amazon.com: Batman: The Court of Owls Saga: (DC Essential Edition) (Batman (2011-2016)) eBook : Snyder, Scott, Capullo, Greg, Capullo, Greg, Albuquerque, Rafael, Glapion, Jonathan: Kindle Store

Amazon.com: Batman: The Court of Owls Saga: (DC Essential Edition) (Batman (2011-2016)) eBook : Snyder, Scott, Capullo, Greg, Capullo, Greg, Albuquerque, Rafael, Glapion, Jonathan: Kindle Store

Status
Not open for further replies.