• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
Messi

Messi

I am leaving this community!
Oct 25, 2017
Ravine was gorgeous, but god damn those books were an info dump and a half.

Yup they was the problem. But obviously he's gotten much better at the writing part. He did say it wouldn't look like that anymore. Takes the same time apparently but he prefers how he draws now. Dude draws so fast on stream.

May 24, 2019
Enter the Void told me to never have illegal fun in Japan.

Speaking of Japan, this just played at the Youtube film festival. I haven't watched it yet, but it sounds neat.

Aizō ya might be into it.

Last edited:

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah... I got stopped by Japanese cops a couple times for random searches, and they made me provide proof I was there legally... I thought it was fine at the time, but in hindsight, with everything else I learned about law enforcement and the justice system in Japan... they're still bad, especially to Black residents. I had to come to a friend's rescue who didn't speak Japanese to interpret between him and a cop. The guy wanted to search my friend's bag for drugs.

I mean J police were always polite to me, but I know what they do, so they don't look good in my eyes anymore. At the very least, they're better than American cops, but that's such a low bar. I had a friend who hit some cops after they found him in the street in the red light district, after he'd been drugged, and they didn't charge him or anything. They took him to the station to sleep on the bench and told him what happened when he woke up. Still, one good story doesn't excuse the system.
Yes, I agree with all of what you said. Certainly better than the police in the US who are so often power hungry maniacs. When I was there, however, there were quite a few stories about bullied kids seeking refuge in police stations only to be sent on their way and beaten or killed after they were forced out of the police station. Those were likely outlier cases but it gave me the impression that Japanese police were either lazy as fuck or apathetic to victims.

In comics news - I've been reading the Swamp Thing digital book (if Mark Russel writes it I'll eventually read it). It's good. It strikes me that while he still has his social critiques he's known for he's not leaning on them as heavily as he has in the past and is writing some more traditional superhero stories as well. It's not like he's dropped them altogether but they're used a bit more sparingly. I wouldn't be shocked to see him get a fairly high profile DC book when they shake up their line. Between the various anthologies, digital books, and one-offs (year of the villain, etc...) it seems like they've been grooming him for it.

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
Sejic changes his business plans so often but rarely drops anything completely. See Death Vigil and Ravine coming back. I don't believe he's dropping it.
True, but I mean that's not up to him because that's in with DC. It's one thing with his own stuff. It's another with something like that.

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

I am leaving this community!
Oct 25, 2017
True, but I mean that's not up to him because that's in with DC. It's one thing with his own stuff. It's another with something like that.

Yeah but by all accounts he was pretty much told he could do what he wanted to within reason multiple times. I doubt they'd say no if he took a few months away and came back with a Harleen 2 pitch

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pride sales are up on CMX and I deeply recommend everyone in the mood for stories about queer dudes look into Taproot (Oni Press) and Godshaper (BOOM! Studios, and it's by Simon Spurrier)

Already been out forever in Japan, nerd. Think the rest of the season has been out for a couple weeks. Kinda surprised they're this delayed bringing it west when it's an original.

I am a good boy and would never watch illegal fan subs.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Finished Superman Smashes the Klan. That's a great comic, one of the best I've read this year for sure.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Stories like this exist and people say Superman is unrelatable
I wonder what Superman stories those people have even read. I've always thought they're too focused on the powerset rather than the actual character. In the last few years some of the early Tomasi stuff and Up in the Sky have also been great. People that think they should relate to powers rather than situations or personality traits simply lack imagination, IMO.

R0b1n

Jun 29, 2018
I wonder what Superman stories those people have even read. I've always thought they're too focused on the powerset rather than the actual character. In the last few years some of the early Tomasi stuff and Up in the Sky have also been great. People that think they should relate to powers rather than situations or personality traits simply lack imagination, IMO.
I don't think its an imagination thing but an empathy thing. You don't need imagination to relate to a person very different from you, you just need empathy

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think its an imagination thing but an empathy thing. You don't need imagination to relate to a person very different from you, you just need empathy
I meant more in the way of being unable to imagine the character in relatable situations, but you're right that empathy is a better way of putting it.

Speaking of empathy: I know something broke Messi recently. ERA, what comics have hit you the hardest over the years. I Kill Giants is probably the one that has for me.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Don't know if it counts but Pride of Baghdad really fucked with my head.
I have that and have always meant to read it but never have. We3 was kind of a tough one so I imagine that Pride of Baghdad will be even more so. There's something about mistreatment of animals that is particularly difficult.

Astro Cat

Mar 29, 2019
I have that and have always meant to read it but never have. We3 was kind of a tough one so I imagine that Pride of Baghdad will be even more so. There's something about mistreatment of animals that is particularly difficult.
I'm definitely the same. We3 was rough too, for whatever reason Pride got to me more. My 2 favorite writers basically wrote nightmare stories I never want to reread but I'm glad they did.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm definitely the same. We3 was rough too, for whatever reason Pride got to me more. My 2 favorite writers basically wrote nightmare stories I never want to reread but I'm glad they did.
I'll give it a shot as I'm kind of in the mood for a sad comic and it's been one I've been meaning to read since it came out (I honestly forgot about it over the last few years).

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
This is definitely a chunk of it

Pretty much. Storm controls the weather and Thor is a mythological magic god and yet people love them. Superman...nah
No

Put it down

It doesn't have to be like this anymore

....no?

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Finally getting the hang of things in Wordpress. Its ugly, but its coming along. Almost threw in the towel after yesterday.

tim1138

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I meant more in the way of being unable to imagine the character in relatable situations, but you're right that empathy is a better way of putting it.

Speaking of empathy: I know something broke Messi recently. ERA, what comics have hit you the hardest over the years. I Kill Giants is probably the one that has for me.

We3 and I Kill Giants for sure.

God no, save your sanity

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
All you really need to look out for are the Crossover episodes. Just watch Arrow until The Flash starts, then just make note of when the crossover episodes are. The first few seasons of all the shows are great, at least until Supergirl starts lol. Supergirl gets better as it goes, compared to the other shows.

EDIT: And Constantine is completely separate. You dont have to follow a watch order for him, unless you just really really want to lol. He didnt become an actual DC CW player until he joins the Legends.

arrow.fandom.com

List of crossover episodes

"An immortal Egyptian; aliens; parallel-Earth Nazis; I have no idea why I'm not even surprised at this point." —John Diggle[src] A list of crossover episodes which involve characters from multiple shows within the Arrowverse. They are arranged chronologically, grouped by season. Main article...

Looks like the first actual crossover is the Season 1 opener of Flash, with the Season 3 opener of Arrow.

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
It's sad how many of those episodes I've watched (all of Arrow, almost caught up on Batwoman, all of Flash, all of Legends, some of Supergirl, a bit of Black Lightning, Stargirl).
Is Constantine worth checking out?
I really liked it. Said it got cancelled. Premiere is a rough one, but they had to change some last minute stuff because the actress that's the plot mcmuffin was supposed to be a main character and then said "nah" so changes had to be made last minute. Worked for me but it got a lot of flak. Adapts some of the early Delano Hellblazer stories. Matt Ryan is iconic now. I liked it.
All you really need to look out for are the Crossover episodes. Just watch Arrow until The Flash starts, then just make note of when the crossover episodes are. The first few seasons of all the shows are great, at least until Supergirl starts lol. Supergirl gets better as it goes, compared to the other shows.

EDIT: And Constantine is completely separate. You dont have to follow a watch order for him, unless you just really really want to lol. He didnt become an actual DC CW player until he joins the Legends.

arrow.fandom.com

"An immortal Egyptian; aliens; parallel-Earth Nazis; I have no idea why I'm not even surprised at this point." —John Diggle[src] A list of crossover episodes which involve characters from multiple shows within the Arrowverse. They are arranged chronologically, grouped by season. Main article...
He shows up in Arrow before Legends

I stopped watching Arrowverse shit in Arrow S4/Flash S2/Legends S1, but I remember.

Tyrant Rave

Has A Pretty Cool Jacket
Oct 25, 2017

manga, but In This Corner of the World got me. Not quite as hard as Punpun, but it was still very emotional

For normal comics, We3 is definitely one. I think Tillie Walden's works hit me pretty hard.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017

arrow.fandom.com

Looks like the first actual crossover is the Season 1 opener of Flash, with the Season 3 opener of Arrow.

May instead just go for the Crossovers. I am mostly just curious to see Crisis purely out of curiosity.

Also was just shocked at how massive the Arroverse actually is now. Also, is Stargirl not actually part of it?

Astro Cat

Mar 29, 2019
This has made me realize I need to read I Kill Giants. I love depressing stories. I've only read the first Punpun and tbh I was expecting much worse but I guess that's later. I really liked Downfall which is the only other Asano I've read and that got me more than Punpun.

I just got Absolute Carnage. I already have Venom 1-3 but all the recommended reading lists are pretty bad from what I can see. Is there anything else from those books I should get and how should I read them? I'm not really interested in anything non Cates.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I really liked it. Said it got cancelled. Premiere is a rough one, but they had to change some last minute stuff because the actress that's the plot mcmuffin was supposed to be a main character and then said "nah" so changes had to be made last minute. Worked for me but it got a lot of flak. Adapts some of the early Delano Hellblazer stories. Matt Ryan is iconic now. I liked it.
I may give it a shot then. Thanks! I feel like I've found a ton of good stuff recently through your recommendations.

manga, but In This Corner of the World got me. Not quite as hard as Punpun, but it was still very emotional

For normal comics, We3 is definitely one. I think Tillie Walden's works hit me pretty hard.
In searching for In This Corner of the World I saw the cover to the film which reminded me of Grave of the Fireflies (the movie that's come closest to breaking me). Not sure I'm ready for that big a mental hit but I'll definitely keep track of it and give it a shot in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.