• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Just wanted to give all the interested parties an update, the site is coming along. Starting to get the hang of using the WordPress site builder. Im using a template that helps, but im not 100% sold on it. But im still plugging along and filling it out.

If anyone wants to contribute to it, I think I figured out how to add users. So if you are just hit me up in the DMs or here.

And again, this is just a hobby. I dont see this being more than that, but if it does then that would be awesome of course.

About to wrap Black Science HC 1.

All this time I thought Omni was the superior format. But now I have experienced an even larger trim size, I feel like I have been living a lie!
Oh for sure, those Library/Absolute Edition sized collections are by far my favorite. They typically only collect like 12-24 issues, so they arent unwieldy, and are my favorite way to see the art.

:(

Yea thats a huge bummer. I absolutely love Far Sector and I was really looking forward to what comes next. But I totally understand given the current DC comics.

Wow. Dont think ive ever seen Hickman so open and honest about his work.

May 24, 2019
Yea thats a huge bummer. I absolutely love Far Sector and I was really looking forward to what comes next. But I totally understand given the current DC comics.

Didn't sound like she was singling out DC. I bet if she had ambitions to get right back into comics, Image or Aftershock or whoever would be more than happy. She's got a day job as a novelist, right?

ElNarez

Oct 28, 2017
oh shit. Real life got too Hickman for Hickman.
AukrylV.png

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
I don't think that Azz was ever a good fit for this. When BoP works it works because you care about the characters and enjoy their interactions together. Dixon and Simone made it so that how BP, Oracle, and Huntress felt about each other was important and meaningful. We cared not just about them but about their camaraderie. None of that is something that's in Azz's wheelhouse, IMO. Other than Simone I'd be curious to have Mariko Tamaki or Tynion take a shot at it.

Tamaki would be perfect, holy shit. Like a dead center perfect.

Goddamn.

ElNarez

Oct 28, 2017
finally given a chance to read the 4-page absolute final word on the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen that's only in the collected edition of The Tempest, which is about Al and Kev going down memory lane and reflecting on the work, but in a genuine humble way, acknowledging the parts that didn't quite work or resonate with their fans; in letting themselves show through with that kind of sincerity they show everything I fucking love about comics, the monthly back-and-forth between creators and audience, and how much all the games and bullshit and "look at all the myriad ways of doing comics I know" nonsense got in the way of their cool story about all fiction happening at the same time

Astro Cat

Mar 29, 2019

Damn, this is some real talk. I love Hickman, hoping he goes even more X-treme with X-Men. You know Cyclops is itching to fuck shit up.

With all this bullshit going on I decided to start playing Mafia 3. Aside from being extremely well written, I can't describe how satisfying it is to kill hundreds of KKK members. Never gets old. I can't believe it took me this long to start.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
With all this bullshit going on I decided to start playing Mafia 3. Aside from being extremely well written, I can't describe how satisfying it is to kill hundreds of KKK members. Never gets old. I can't believe it took me this long to start.
I didn't hear good things about the game itself after the first few hours, but I think I got it for 100 yen a while back. I will inevitably start it up to murder the KKK, though.

Astro Cat

Mar 29, 2019
I didn't hear good things about the game itself after the first few hours, but I think I got it for 100 yen a while back. I will inevitably start it up to murder the KKK, though.
I remember hearing mixed things upon release but I can confirm that the majority of the game 4 hours in is pretty much all murdering KKK and it's so cathartic. Game itself is a better than average GTA clone so I'm into it. I just remembered I downloaded it for free on PSN years ago.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
I remember hearing mixed things upon release but I can confirm that the majority of the game 4 hours in is pretty much all murdering KKK and it's so cathartic. Game itself is a better than average GTA clone so I'm into it. I just remembered I downloaded it for free on PSN years ago.
I need to make some space on my ps4.

Porl

Nov 6, 2017
Nah, it's still up. He just didn't say it so explicitly, but that rainbow is really fucking transparent.

unknown.png

Even when he's apparently not being a total shitbag about a thing, it seems like he's gotta compensate with some dumb shit like this

(this is excluding the "i'll just buy it from taylor and make more money printing it in my sketchbook, let him donate the little money he'll get")

hipsterpants

Oct 25, 2017
it will be interesting to see the x-men are handled going forward and if the situation going on affects the stories they're telling. like once you get past them saying fuck y'all here's krakoa, here we got exodus, effectively brainwashing children and potentially creating an extremist cult. or we got x-force touching on the ideas of krakoa becoming a superpower, and the fucked up shit that occurs under those circumstances. the quiet council is, by all accounts, a repulsive form of governance and needs to be replaced by something better. or the most basic and obvious, handling the murderers and killers now given a new chance due to their status as a mutant.

the x-team keeps bringing up these moral questions and angles on this new status quo, and it's easy to wonder if they're going to answer them in a satisfying way. or maybe not answering them, which in some cases could arguably be worse.

Astro Cat

Mar 29, 2019
I need to make some space on my ps4.
I deleted Call of Duty WW2 which was also free on PSN. I made it 3 levels in before realizing I never, ever need to play another WW2 game for the rest of my life. I tried, but the Normandy in Medal of Honor Frontline is so much better it's embarrassing. Be warned though, even after downloading which took about an hour it took another 4 hours for Mafia to install.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
The stuff with Jason's training with Ducra and the All Caste is soo good. I could read a whole book just about him and Talia at the All Caste. Its something I wish they would spend more time on with Batman. You get bits and pieces of his training arc from before he became Batman, but you never really get enough to get a fuller picture. Here Jason is straight up learning to be a mystical monk lol. And yes, Rocafort does most of the heavy lifting.

4778bde8ebd4f6f48a28a7795a6a8005.jpg

And I really like the team up of him, Kori, and Roy. I guess they probably wanted Roy and Kori to join the Titans and Teen Titans for Rebirth moreso than leaving them with Jason, which makes sense. I hope it wasnt due to fan pressure after people were upset over how Kori was handled in the New 52. Besides those first 2 issues, shes been very strong imo.

May 24, 2019
I always put Lobdell in the camp of comics dinosaurs DC should have dumped in the New 52, so never gave Red Hood a chance. Superboy and Titans seeming straight out of the 90's-early 2000's probably didn't help his case.

I put Jurgens in that box too. Lois and Clark surprised me, but I'm still biased against him, like him being given Nightwing or Action Comics seems like the laziest editorial idea, like all they want is a dependable old workman.

I'm more ready to be impressed with old artists who have radically grown and modernized from their by the numbers muscle and 'tude 90's stuff.

May 24, 2019
Add Brandon McCarthy to the trash creator list

Shit. I've got the Milligan and McCarthy collection in my backlog.

Is there a lot of existing grumbling about Ed Piskor, or is that just one unfortunate/un-thought-out interview (edit: or two with the Chaykin one in the replies)? I just got into his Youtube channel, man 😂

You gotta be prepared to let the reverence for your old heroes die.

Last edited:

hipsterpants

Oct 25, 2017

Chip rules. The madman titled it One More Day after he wrote it because of the similarities he saw lol. Also he'll be on for at least another year and doesn't currently have any plans to leave the book.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I mean it's also possible she was only ever going to do this one comic and that was it. She's a pretty successful novelist and I'm sure if she wanted to do more comics stuff other pubs would be happy to publish whatever she had in mind.
/shrug

knowing jemisin, this comes across like a seeing puddles and assuming it rained sort of situation.

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
The stuff with Jason's training with Ducra and the All Caste is soo good. I could read a whole book just about him and Talia at the All Caste. Its something I wish they would spend more time on with Batman. You get bits and pieces of his training arc from before he became Batman, but you never really get enough to get a fuller picture. Here Jason is straight up learning to be a mystical monk lol. And yes, Rocafort does most of the heavy lifting.

4778bde8ebd4f6f48a28a7795a6a8005.jpg

And I really like the team up of him, Kori, and Roy. I guess they probably wanted Roy and Kori to join the Titans and Teen Titans for Rebirth moreso than leaving them with Jason, which makes sense. I hope it wasnt due to fan pressure after people were upset over how Kori was handled in the New 52. Besides those first 2 issues, shes been very strong imo.
A lot of people saw Jason as Punisher and I saw him more as Blade or Moon Knight. Just a dude resurrected by a cult hunting down mystical threats. It was a cool angle but I didn't care enough. The rest of the book didn't pull me.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
I guess Lobdell said on a now deleted Instagram Live that Red Hood Outlaw would end at issue #50. Didn't specify if he meant that he was done on the book after that, or if it was the end of the Outlaw status quo, or if someone else would be taking over. But, BC made the point that originally #50 would have released along the same time as Batman #100, which was originally supposed to bring about the reboot/5G.

I really hope plans have changed, or someone else good will take over the book now that I've gotten super invested lol.

Vordan

Aug 12, 2018
I mean it's also possible she was only ever going to do this one comic and that was it. She's a pretty successful novelist and I'm sure if she wanted to do more comics stuff other pubs would be happy to publish whatever she had in mind.
She basically finished the entire maxi-series in one go if I understand her Q&A correctly, so I don't know if she's even aware what other DC Creators are up to. She doesn't have any real interest in writing other superheroes, she got interested in the first place because of the pitch and because she thought writing comics would be fun. But I don't know if she'd have any desire to do an ongoing.
I always put Lobdell in the camp of comics dinosaurs DC should have dumped in the New 52, so never gave Red Hood a chance. Superboy and Titans seeming straight out of the 90's-early 2000's probably didn't help his case.

I put Jurgens in that box too. Lois and Clark surprised me, but I'm still biased against him, like him being given Nightwing or Action Comics seems like the laziest editorial idea, like all they want is a dependable old workman.

I'm more ready to be impressed with old artists who have radically grown and modernized from their by the numbers muscle and 'tude 90's stuff.
That was exactly why they picked him. They wanted a comforting nostalgia run after all the twists and turns of the New 52. I'm glad he's not on the book anymore, he's been pretty suspect on Twitter constantly focusing only on the rioters breaking stuff and not the protests or the cause of the protests. Baffles me that he's hung on to Batman Beyond for so long but I guess someone likes his writing for that.

Chip rules. The madman titled it One More Day after he wrote it because of the similarities he saw lol. Also he'll be on for at least another year and doesn't currently have any plans to leave the book.

Lmao no fucks given I guess.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
That was exactly why they picked him. They wanted a comforting nostalgia run after all the twists and turns of the New 52. I'm glad he's not on the book anymore, he's been pretty suspect on Twitter constantly focusing only on the rioters breaking stuff and not the protests or the cause of the protests. Baffles me that he's hung on to Batman Beyond for so long but I guess someone likes his writing for that.
Ive actually been considering reading that next lol. Ive got bad taste. But the stuff with Damian and the League of Shadows is really intriguing.

tim1138

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
She basically finished the entire maxi-series in one go if I understand her Q&A correctly, so I don't know if she's even aware what other DC Creators are up to. She doesn't have any real interest in writing other superheroes, she got interested in the first place because of the pitch and because she thought writing comics would be fun. But I don't know if she'd have any desire to do an ongoing.

Yeah that part of her Q&A cracked me up.

It's a shame Way doesn't have the time/attention span/whatever to actually stick with Young Animal, it's produced some really interesting stuff.

May 24, 2019
He just had a worldwide MCR reunion tour to organize (and cancel) I can't blame him for putting Doom Patrol behind that.

---
Anyone else getting Clubhouse Games on Switch? I'd be interested in getting a crew together to play these old fart games with.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
It's a shame Way doesn't have the time/attention span/whatever to actually stick with Young Animal, it's produced some really interesting stuff.
Thats for sure. Just give it to someone else that will take care of it at this point. Hes way too busy now with Umbrella Academy back and the Netflix show.

He just had a worldwide MCR reunion tour to organize (and cancel) I can't blame him for putting Doom Patrol behind that.
Fuck that. Dont start something if you arent going to finish it or give it the time it deserves. After the first Doom Patrol series started to peeter out I completely lost faith in Way. I get that Umbrella Academy getting a Netflix show is a huge deal for him, but he should have just put someone else in charge of Doom Patrol and Young Animal as soon as he couldnt handle both, and the MCR stuff.

hipsterpants

Oct 25, 2017
Nick Spencer is the real winner for getting off Twitter and not coming back. His only two social media posts in the last year were about quarantine pizza and one of those comics auctions.

Lmao no fucks given I guess.

OMD could be kinda interesting and work as an emotionally charged story if the follow up wasn't telling the reader to eat shit for wanting characters to suffer consequences for dramatic actions. I'm guessing we won't get the Daredevil Annual #2 "One Moment In Time".

May 24, 2019
Eh. I can do big waits. I didn't even mind waiting two years for Creature of the Night. As long as stuff isn't cancelled in progress, there's always other things to read.
I'm not gonna assume situations in his life didn't justify making comics late.

It'd be cool if Final Fantasy 7 Remake 2 comes out within two years, but I could live if it takes five. It's cool as long as I don't die first 😂

Last edited:

Vordan

Aug 12, 2018
I guess Lobdell said on a now deleted Instagram Live that Red Hood Outlaw would end at issue #50. Didn't specify if he meant that he was done on the book after that, or if it was the end of the Outlaw status quo, or if someone else would be taking over. But, BC made the point that originally #50 would have released along the same time as Batman #100, which was originally supposed to bring about the reboot/5G.

I really hope plans have changed, or someone else good will take over the book now that I've gotten super invested lol.
Yeah he said issue 50 would be the finale for his run and I expect that to still hold true. Another big relaunch is definitely coming from DC. I think he's just done with the character and has said everything he's wanted to say. He's been on Red Hood for over 9 years, he might just feel satisfied with that, very few creators have gotten long runs on Big 2 characters like he has.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think that's fair. He doesn't owe us anything, and we don't know what his life is like.
I know, im just still a bit salty
Yeah he said issue 50 would be the finale for his run and I expect that to still hold true. Another big relaunch is definitely coming from DC. I think he's just done with the character and has said everything he's wanted to say. He's been on Red Hood for over 9 years, he might just feel satisfied with that, very few creators have gotten long runs on Big 2 characters like he has.
True. I just hope DC doesnt end the book completely after hes gone. I need to look up the sales numbers and see how its been doing.

EDIT: Its right around 20k per issue average. Issue 43 in February was ranked 124 in the charts, which I guess is still ok. Probably missed the Digital Only mark by just a bit lol.

Last edited:

tim1138

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

---
Anyone else getting Clubhouse Games on Switch? I'd be interested in getting a crew together to play these old fart games with.

Thats for sure. Just give it to someone else that will take care of it at this point. Hes way too busy now with Umbrella Academy back and the Netflix show.

Fuck that. Dont start something if you arent going to finish it or give it the time it deserves. After the first Doom Patrol series started to peeter out I completely lost faith in Way. I get that Umbrella Academy getting a Netflix show is a huge deal for him, but he should have just put someone else in charge of Doom Patrol and Young Animal as soon as he couldnt handle both, and the MCR stuff.

Oh I don't even care about Doom Patrol, I was speaking more to the actual imprint. It'd be cool if he stepped back to just scoping out the talent and then let Andy Khouri or whoever actually run the show.

May 24, 2019
Are all Jemisin books Sci-fi or fantasy? I don't really prefer those genres with novels.

edit: Though I guess I'd try. Maybe 'The City We Became' since it isn't a series yet.

hipsterpants

Oct 25, 2017
I get the impression DC's Oct/Nov/Dec schedule will just be tons of Death Metal tie-ins and maybe a few A-list books like Batman. Seems like everything will be ending around Aug/Sep but Death Metal won't be over until January of next year.

Poor Nightwing fans probably gonna see him finally unRic-ed just as the title gets cancelled.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Are all Jemisin books Sci-fi or fantasy? I don't really prefer those genres with novels.

edit: Though I guess I'd try. Maybe 'The City We Became' since it isn't a series yet.
fantasy yeah. though not really traditional fantasy. her latest book series is actually kind of a more modern urban fantasy with sort of superhero powers.

Canucked

Comics Council 2020 & Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I get the impression DC's Oct/Nov/Dec schedule will just be tons of Death Metal tie-ins and maybe a few A-list books like Batman. Seems like everything will be ending around Aug/Sep but Death Metal won't be over until January of next year.

Poor Nightwing fans probably gonna see him finally unRic-ed just as the title gets cancelled.

we've been Ric-ed off long enough.

Vordan

Aug 12, 2018

That's my guess too, especially since Snyder has said Death Metal has "expanded" in the wake of Didio's departure. So we'll probably get Harley Quinn: Death Metal to compensate for her ongoing ending as well as tie-ins for characters like Red Hood, Supergirl, Shazam, etc. Will this be the first time since Flashpoint that pretty much everything has ended and DC instead puts out event tie-ins? Feels like it. They need this event to buy time in the wake of their 5G plans no longer happening.

I'm very curious to see what the post-Death Metal DC looks like. I'm hoping for a bunch of new blood on the books. DC needs it, especially more PoC creators.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Apparently Batman vs. Deathstroke was originally going to be a crossover like the Terminus Agenda and Lazarus Contract, but Scott Snyder was going to be writing the Batman issues lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.