• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GringoSuave89

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
LA, CA
I hope the Red Hood Outlaw stuff is just temporary, or he at least gets his red helmet back. I want to keep reading and get caught up eventually, but im still not sold on his new look.

It was interesing at first and I didn't even mind the mask/good combo too much, but now that the status quo if you will is back he needs to go back to the helmet.

Worst part of the Outlaw look is the logo just being a fucking mask lol

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
Azz is a trash writer tbh
I was gonna say, he's very prolific but doesn't seem to get a lot of actual love. His Wonder Woman and his Joker do and even then.
I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought that. Dude just has such a massive chip on his shoulder and it made me wonder why he even bothered to come on the podcast. Clipped, terse responses to every question.

I liked 100 Bullets and his New 52 WW run even though I prefer a more traditional WW setup. To his credit he also is the one to actually give Constantine a boyfriend on panel I believe, rather than just alluding to John's bisexuality. But so much of his recent work has just been awful. Damned was fucking terrible except for the art. Birds of Prey seems to also be terrible. He really shouldn't be writing superheroes anymore, he's Ennis-tier edgy with them, and it's mostly just to shock and titillate.

He and Bruce Timm did not handle that backlash well at all.
It was mostly Azzarello if I recall. That's why I never gave Timm as much flak for it, because it never felt like it was so much of his thing. Having Bruce and Babs as a thing? Definitely Timm. Banging on a rooftop and all that? I dunno. Weird as he is, it always seemed odd even for Timm.
I've only read Azzarello's Joker comic and I thought it was okay when I first read it. Haven't read it in forever though, so it might be worse than I remember.
I only know the page where Joker rapes a dude's wife as payback

I don't want to read that book.
If you can remove or set aside the stuff with Starfire, New 52 Red Hood is actually really fun, at least so far. Im happy to see Lobdell is putting his own spin on Red Hood's origin for the New 52 and I hope it sticks in Rebirth. And the banter between him and Arsenal is great. Like a buddy cop movie but with deranged comic book characters.
Well good news for you, Red Hood and Arsenal is basically Power Man and Iron Fist, but DC and worse.
Feeling like reading Secret Six again, or anything Gail Simone wrote really. I need to get around to her WW run fully sometime.

That twitter thread she made recently was really damn good.
I wanna read her Red Sonja run.
Good decisions, the lot of you
And that's why latter era Cyclops is that dude.

In no world should mutants, who've gone through at least three genocides that the other heroes have done less than nothing, kowtow to them. Stuff their bullshit, Cyke.
I would love the next X-Men movie to be Utopia era Cyclops. "Mommy what's he doing?" "Well honey he's apparently forming what's called a hit squad and they're going to assassinate a psychotic religious cult and what's this rated again?"
Got all in my feelings and bought the Gail Simone WW Omnibus lol.
Good choice

R0b1n

Jun 29, 2018
Ive tried to write a response for a couple days but the words just won't come out. This is the best i could do.
I read Daytripper at the start of the quarantine and really liked it a lot.

I dunno. Did it need some kinda connecting thread besides the theme? Life doesn't need a connecting theme, it doesn't need some grand meaning, all your different experiences don't need to be somehow connected. They're just.... that. Things that happen. Things that could happen. I don't feel like the book needs any kind of bigger narrative to it, some form of awareness from Bras or anything. He did what he did in each of those occasions for the same reasons anyone would have, with the same knowledge. Idk.

I also don't feel like they could have prolonged the story forever with more and more mini stories and what ifs and alternatives. Borrowing this from wicdiv but: Life goes on... until it doesn't. Life isn't infinite or goes on forever, at some point it ends. Blas' life ended after 10 issues. And making issues about every possibility and opportunity just... isn't the way. You won't remember all those chances, all those times. Just a couple important ones. You don't know how many that will be. You could die at any moment. So cherish those important moments, those special events, because any one of them could be your last. And you don't know how many of those moments you will have. Maybe they will be enough to fill out an omnibus. Maybe they'll just barely fill out 10 issues. Who knows. It may be very long, or very short, but in the end?
gaiman_death.jpg

I probably went off the rails like halfway through but fuck it, i barely post anymore, im allowed to say some dumb shit every once in a while
Yup, I agree with this. Thanks for putting it a way I couldn't

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Well good news for you, Red Hood and Arsenal is basically Power Man and Iron Fist, but DC and worse.
I like Power Man and Iron Fist lol, but I believe you
It was interesing at first and I didn't even mind the mask/good combo too much, but now that the status quo if you will is back he needs to go back to the helmet.

Worst part of the Outlaw look is the logo just being a fucking mask lol
Your right lol, the new logo is just a mask!

Did you read the Winick Lost Days story? If you did, does it play any role, or has it been basically replaced with the New 52 and Rebirth continuity?

GringoSuave89

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
LA, CA

Your right lol, the new logo is just a mask!

Did you read the Winick Lost Days story? If you did, does it play any role, or has it been basically replaced with the New 52 and Rebirth continuity?

I mean they basically amount to just fun stories leading up to the events of Under The Red Hood. Doesn't really factor into Lobdell's stuff but they're enjoyable on their own. Keep in mind it's UTRH era Jason and not the more loveable outlaw Jason of New 52 and Rebirth.

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
It's a very tonally weird book, because it goes from something edgier to this weird hop n bop superhero book where they're going around on like goofy board game maps across the world and shit. It's super comedy heavy. But not

The Rebirth series is where it's all clicked.

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
can I just skip to that?
If you want to be happy

Like I joke, but New 52 RHatO Vol #1 and Red Hood and Arsenal #1-6, which I read of each, were not enjoyable at all

Red Hood and the Outlaws (2016-, the Rebirth series) Vol.1-4 is some of the most purely enjoyable comics I've read.

Last edited:

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
So I bought and downloaded and am reading Azzarello's Birds of Prey.

5 pages in this is the worst dialogue.

May 24, 2019
I've been watching Cartoonist Kayfabe after their video was posted last page, and they aaaalmost sold me on a DC Absolute.

I hadn't considered for a moment getting a four issue Absolute, but getting a comic twice over with one version in newsprint paper/colouring, and another in it's graphic novel version is amazing nerd shit.

Good thing my local booksellers didn't have it 😆

Nice to know about the channel. I appreciate hearing actual comic workers nerding out on books instead of most ordinary jaded fandom hosts.

Last edited:

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I've only read Azzarello's Joker comic and I thought it was okay when I first read it. Haven't read it in forever though, so it might be worse than I remember.
I haven't read much of his stuff over the years. I didn't love his run on Wonder Woman (I know many did) so I dropped it about 10 issues in. 100 Bullets, I suspect, is his best regarded work but I've never read it.

In terms of RHaTO - yes, skipping to Rebirth is fine. It is designed to be a starting point and it works well without a need for previous knowledge about the characters.

Tyrant Rave

Has A Pretty Cool Jacket
Oct 25, 2017
I've been watching Cartoonist Kayfabe after their video was posted last page, and they aaaalmost sold me on a DC Absolute.

I hadn't considered for a moment getting a four issue Absolute, but getting a comic twice over with one version in newsprint paper/colouring, and another in it's graphic novel version is amazing nerd shit.

Good thing my local booksellers didn't have it 😆

Nice to know about the channel. I appreciate hearing actual comic workers nerding out on books instead most oridinary jaded fandom hosts.

yeah it's a fun channel, especially when Tom Scioli is there too. I quite liked their Akira videos

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
can I just skip to that?
If your still considering it, I would start there. It seems like pretty much everyone recommends too. I just really liked the Rocafort art in the New 52 omni. The Starfire stuff might be a bit too much for some tho lol.

Dexter Soy, the artist on the Batman and the Outsiders, did most of the art on the Rebirth Red Hood book, which I really enjoy also.

But I also picked up the New 52 Deathstroke Omni (for $30) lol, so I obviously dont have the best taste lol.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Man, Iron Man 2020 really got the shaft during this whole ordeal. Not that anyone really cared about the event lol. I do kinda want to go back and read some of the tie ins, like Force Works 2020. But it just got its last issue and the main event book still has like 2 more to go.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Did anything new come out this week? CMX barely updated its new comics page.

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
Did you feel the need to just waste $10?
have to know for myself
Man, Iron Man 2020 really got the shaft during this whole ordeal. Not that anyone really cared about the event lol. I do kinda want to go back and read some of the tie ins, like Force Works 2020. But it just got its last issue and the main event book still has like 2 more to go.
I've been buying all the 2020 stuff
Soy's Artemis >>>>>>>>>
Yo this is the truth. Artemis in general honestly. I really hope she shows up more outside (hah) of that book.

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

I am leaving this community!
Oct 25, 2017

Melos commission work is just so beautiful

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
So that one review touches up mostly on the racist aspects of Azzarello's Birds of Prey, and they are certainly there. Personally I like the idea of the three main gang members if they were more stylized and not just three people wearing leather combat suits and face paint. Like if they went all in on the Dia de los Muertos look with the face paint I'd dig it, but the face paint keeps making me thing of El Diablo and also doesn't excuse the racist bits.

However this book is also just bad.

I'm not against vulgar language, but it feels like it very rarely is used in anything in here other than "look I can do swears now!" The wrong spellings and words get used (like "effecting" gets used instead of "affecting"). I also don't know where Azzarello's understanding of Dinah comes from, but this one pisses me off the most. All of them do really, but at least Harley and Helena are older points in their characters. Helena's much more comfortable watching gang members just kill each other and Harley is much more unstable. It's not pretty or comfortable to read, but his understanding of the characters is clearly just outdated and not "wrong." Montoya and Dinah however, are terrible. Montoya basically becomes allies with Helena to have her track and go after gangs off the books. A gang member ends up dead and Helena informs her Montoya says "Good job." Meaning Montoya is happy with the idea of Helena killing a gang member for her. Dinah leaves a friend to OD on drugs while she takes two guys home from a bar and is generally a terrible person. Also it's like some of these characters never associated with each other.

The action sequences are great though, because Lupacchino.

This is a bad superhero comic, a bad Birds of Prey comic, a bad Black Canary comic, a bad Huntress comic, a bad Renee Montoya comic, and a bad Harley Quinn comic.

It's a bad comic and without a doubt the worst comic I've read in recent memory.

hipsterpants

Oct 25, 2017
Remember when Azz's BP was supposed to be an ongoing? If it's that bad maybe someone higher up put the kibosh on that but they decided to just release what had already been made. It was supposed to be the first Black Label ongoing too lol

I can't see any Marvel collections on there.

Released to comic shops so I guess a week delay for CMX

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
About to wrap Black Science HC 1.

All this time I thought Omni was the superior format. But now I have experienced an even larger trim size, I feel like I have been living a lie!

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017

current highest bid looks like it's Bryan Hill. can trust he'll do what's right with that. good man.

About to wrap Black Science HC 1.

All this time I thought Omni was the superior format. But now I have experienced an even larger trim size, I feel like I have been living a lie!
remender is king for putting out all his image books in that size. also why absolutes are fucking amaaaazzing.

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

I am leaving this community!
Oct 25, 2017
Remember when Azz's BP was supposed to be an ongoing? If it's that bad maybe someone higher up put the kibosh on that but they decided to just release what had already been made. It was supposed to be the first Black Label ongoing too lol

Released to comic shops so I guess a week delay for CMX

That's exactly what happened

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think that Azz was ever a good fit for this. When BoP works it works because you care about the characters and enjoy their interactions together. Dixon and Simone made it so that how BP, Oracle, and Huntress felt about each other was important and meaningful. We cared not just about them but about their camaraderie. None of that is something that's in Azz's wheelhouse, IMO. Other than Simone I'd be curious to have Mariko Tamaki or Tynion take a shot at it.

Status
Not open for further replies.