• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

R0b1n

Jun 29, 2018
Not surprised to hear the new BoP by Azz isn't good, and problematic even. Azz's Hellblazer also gave me similar vibes, just ultra-edginess with questionable portrayal of minorities

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Not surprised to hear the new BoP by Azz isn't good, and problematic even. Azz's Hellblazer also gave me similar vibes, just ultra-edginess with questionable portrayal of minorities
I think Azzarello's Wonder Woman was the last thing of his that I read. I didn't pick up any weird vibes from that one.

Eleriu

The Fallen - Teyvat Traveler
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Not the Amazons raping and killing fishermen to populate?
giphy.gif

Um....wha

Canucked

Comics Council 2020 & Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I don't remember that either, but I also haven't re-read it.

Seems like something that would stick out thought. I have it here somewhere, I gotta look.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Isn't that what Amazons have traditionally done, though? I'm pretty sure it stays true to the mythology of the culture.

May 24, 2019
Isn't that what Amazons have traditionally done, though? I'm pretty sure it stays true to the mythology of the culture.

Yup. I get what he was doing by introducing more buried traditional Amazon myths instead of just using the pretty ones, but it wasn't a good look. I'm surprised Diana didn't discover a tribe of one-boobed archers.

I thought it would all pay off with something like Diana ruling and rejecting/breaking traditions to forge ahead a new just mythology for the Amazons or some shiz, but that didn't happen.

I did love Azz's weirdo extended god family for Diana. I wish Rucka didn't outright reject them.

Last edited:

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
The Sensational She-Hulk omni is up on IST. The regular cover and variant were both available as of a few minutes ago. I feel like its a bit overpriced though. Its $72 for around 700 pages...

Astonishing X-Men is up on IST. The main cover might already gone -- the listing disappeared. It wouldn't be surprising if the DM variant disappeared soon.

Astonishing X-Men Whedon Cassaday Omnibus HC Vol 01 DM Var N - InStockTrades

Trade paperbacks from Marvel, DC, Image, Dark Horse and more! Discounted up to 42% off. No shipping on orders over $50.
Now to continue the wait for the Uncanny X-Force omni lol. I dont have much faith that they will be getting more in though tbh. Seems like it would have happened already if they were.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Astonishing X-Men standard and DM covers are sold out. She-Hulk DM variant sold out. Just the standard She-Hulk left of the big omni releases this week.

I also almost didn't notice that November Vol. 2 from Fraction + Elsa came out today! def picking that up.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
The Sensational She-Hulk omni is up on IST. The regular cover and variant were both available as of a few minutes ago. I feel like its a bit overpriced though. Its $72 for around 700 pages...

Now to continue the wait for the Uncanny X-Force omni lol. I dont have much faith that they will be getting more in though tbh. Seems like it would have happened already if they were.

I think Marvel confirmed X-Force coming back in July. At least they told Omar during some segment recently. No specific date but in that timeframe. They confirmed it's been a constant ask and wanted to ensure it's happening.

ElNarez

Oct 28, 2017
Yup. I get what he was doing by introducing more buried traditional Amazon myths instead of just using the pretty ones, but it wasn't a good look. I'm surprised Diana didn't discover a tribe of one-boobed archers.

I thought it would all pay off with something like Diana ruling and rejecting/breaking traditions to forge ahead a new just mythology for the Amazons or some shiz, but that didn't happen.

I did love Azz's weirdo extended god family for Diana. I wish Rucka didn't outright reject them.
Pretty sure Hippolyta gets turned into a clay statue and the rest of the Amazons get turned into snakes near the end of that run, in part as punishment for the fucked up shit they did?

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Azzarello is very unlikable. He and Chaykin are the only people I've heard on Word Balloon that leave me thinking "wow, he's kind of a dick".

May 24, 2019
Pretty sure Hippolyta gets turned into a clay statue and the rest of the Amazons get turned into snakes near the end of that run, in part as punishment for the fucked up shit they did?

I think the snakes were early on, so there weren't Amazons for most of the series. Pretty sure they got turned back by the final battle.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
I managed to get Astonishing X-Men before it went out of stock. DM variant, but I don't really care since the spine will be what I see most of the time. I won't believe I actually got it until it ships, but I'm happy.

I almost forgot about it, but I was on my lunch around 3:30 and got a reminder on my phone to buy it, which I must have set at some time recently.

Boogiepop

Oct 25, 2017
I caught back up on the Valiant universe again with the series I hadn't read that were finished as of the last linewide sale. And yeeeah... approaching the point of "why am I still reading this stuff?" The Quantum and Woody from 2017 or whatever was probably the best of the lot, but that one just slipped through the cracks and would IIRC be from before the company fell apart. Livewire was like... okayish? Acceptable at least, I guess. But then Dr. Mirage, Killers, and especially Fallen World and Psi-Lords were all just straight up bad, I found. And a number of those are like "don't worry, we're following up on this stuff!" and it's like eeeeeeh, I don't really want that.

It was always unsurprisingly hit or miss reading the full line, but there was a novelty to being able to do so and enough solid stuff in there that I was fine with it... but feels like things have shifted a LOT more towards miss, and I'm wondering if the changeover in the company just killed all the good to be had. That said, sunk cost fallacy thinking will likely lead me to keep on picking up everything on the cheap during sales till the universe inevitably collapses.

Vordan

Aug 12, 2018
Azzarello is very unlikable. He and Chaykin are the only people I've heard on Word Balloon that leave me thinking "wow, he's kind of a dick".
I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought that. Dude just has such a massive chip on his shoulder and it made me wonder why he even bothered to come on the podcast. Clipped, terse responses to every question.
Wasn't 100 Bullets well received?

I rather liked his WW till the last arc or so. (Not a fan of Before Watchmen or Damned)
I liked 100 Bullets and his New 52 WW run even though I prefer a more traditional WW setup. To his credit he also is the one to actually give Constantine a boyfriend on panel I believe, rather than just alluding to John's bisexuality. But so much of his recent work has just been awful. Damned was fucking terrible except for the art. Birds of Prey seems to also be terrible. He really shouldn't be writing superheroes anymore, he's Ennis-tier edgy with them, and it's mostly just to shock and titillate.
I still love Azz getting ready to throw down at the TKJ DTV panel. Fucking dooouche.
He and Bruce Timm did not handle that backlash well at all.

Last edited:

Vordan

Aug 12, 2018
I thought Faithless was pretty good if you could get past a bit of awkward old-man-trying-to-write-millenials stuff.

I thought Tynion was the first.
I could swear it was Azzarelo. I remember him hooking up Constantine with a Bruce Wayne expy (rumor was he wanted to actually hook Batman and Constantine up but editorial nixed that immediately).

bluexy

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I managed to get Astonishing X-Men before it went out of stock. DM variant, but I don't really care since the spine will be what I see most of the time. I won't believe I actually got it until it ships, but I'm happy.

I almost forgot about it, but I was on my lunch around 3:30 and got a reminder on my phone to buy it, which I must have set at some time recently.
hooray! glad you were able to get it. i was wrorried.

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017

Gallery in Berlin.

original comic book art for sale USA artwork superheroes Al Feldstein, EC cover, Lou Fine The Spirit Simon Bisley Spawn Don Martin Mad George Wilson Space Family Robinson Frank Miller Daredevil Jim Lee X-Men etc. at Gallery Laqua by Carsten Laqua

original comic book art for sale USA artwork superheroes Al Feldstein, EC cover, Lou Fine The Spirit Simon Bisley Spawn Don Martin Mad George Wilson Space Family Robinson Frank Miller Daredevil Jim Lee X-Men etc. at Gallery Laqua by Carsten Laqua

$5k...

They have some very nice Don Rosa pages too.

Last edited:

Eleriu

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I've only read Azzarello's Joker comic and I thought it was okay when I first read it. Haven't read it in forever though, so it might be worse than I remember.

Porl

Nov 6, 2017
I finished reading Daytripper last night. I still have the same thoughts about it that I did when I first read it several years back. It's absolutely beautiful. It's absolutely touching. Its message about life and living it and respecting it for what it is is so meaningful. But I still feel like there's a missing thread, like there should have been maybe an awareness in Bras that he was living these lives outside of just the story's conclusion. It makes the conclusion feel that much more special, sure, but it makes so many of the earlier stories seem distant and disconnected.

Just an afterthought I can't seem to shake despite absolutely loving Daytripper and how gorgeously painted it is.
Ive tried to write a response for a couple days but the words just won't come out. This is the best i could do.
I read Daytripper at the start of the quarantine and really liked it a lot.

I dunno. Did it need some kinda connecting thread besides the theme? Life doesn't need a connecting theme, it doesn't need some grand meaning, all your different experiences don't need to be somehow connected. They're just.... that. Things that happen. Things that could happen. I don't feel like the book needs any kind of bigger narrative to it, some form of awareness from Bras or anything. He did what he did in each of those occasions for the same reasons anyone would have, with the same knowledge. Idk.

I also don't feel like they could have prolonged the story forever with more and more mini stories and what ifs and alternatives. Borrowing this from wicdiv but: Life goes on... until it doesn't. Life isn't infinite or goes on forever, at some point it ends. Blas' life ended after 10 issues. And making issues about every possibility and opportunity just... isn't the way. You won't remember all those chances, all those times. Just a couple important ones. You don't know how many that will be. You could die at any moment. So cherish those important moments, those special events, because any one of them could be your last. And you don't know how many of those moments you will have. Maybe they will be enough to fill out an omnibus. Maybe they'll just barely fill out 10 issues. Who knows. It may be very long, or very short, but in the end?
gaiman_death.jpg

I probably went off the rails like halfway through but fuck it, i barely post anymore, im allowed to say some dumb shit every once in a while

lol, thank you! Wonder if that Leak thing is legit lol.
I dunno!! Try it!!!!!

bluexy

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Ive tried to write a response for a couple days but the words just won't come out. This is the best i could do.
I read Daytripper at the start of the quarantine and really liked it a lot.

I dunno. Did it need some kinda connecting thread besides the theme? Life doesn't need a connecting theme, it doesn't need some grand meaning, all your different experiences don't need to be somehow connected. They're just.... that. Things that happen. Things that could happen. I don't feel like the book needs any kind of bigger narrative to it, some form of awareness from Bras or anything. He did what he did in each of those occasions for the same reasons anyone would have, with the same knowledge. Idk.

I also don't feel like they could have prolonged the story forever with more and more mini stories and what ifs and alternatives. Borrowing this from wicdiv but: Life goes on... until it doesn't. Life isn't infinite or goes on forever, at some point it ends. Blas' life ended after 10 issues. And making issues about every possibility and opportunity just... isn't the way. You won't remember all those chances, all those times. Just a couple important ones. You don't know how many that will be. You could die at any moment. So cherish those important moments, those special events, because any one of them could be your last. And you don't know how many of those moments you will have. Maybe they will be enough to fill out an omnibus. Maybe they'll just barely fill out 10 issues. Who knows. It may be very long, or very short, but in the end?
gaiman_death.jpg

I probably went off the rails like halfway through but fuck it, i barely post anymore, im allowed to say some dumb shit every once in a while

I dunno!! Try it!!!!!
ty for taking the time to put together such a thoughtful response, porl!

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
So they are completely replacing Kate Kane Batwoman in the show. So whoever gets casted is going to be playing some completely new/original character, rather than just replacing Ruby Rose as Kate lol. Just such an odd choice.

Eleriu

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So they are completely replacing Kate Kane Batwoman in the show. So whoever gets casted is going to be playing some completely new/original character, rather than just replacing Ruby Rose as Kate lol. Just such an odd choice.
It is an odd choice. We'll have to wait and see how it works out.

Status
Not open for further replies.