• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hipsterpants

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know, Jurgens is a company man who will write what the editors tell him to write. I'm pretty positive that Didio just wanted Nightwing shuffled off to the side, and Ric was the easiest way to do that long term. Wouldn't surprise me if he was also going to be replaced during 5G. It's obscene that they've dragged on Ric for this long, Snyder better use regular Dick for Death Metal or I'm going to be pissed.

Lol that entire generation or characters got screwed over for some reason. Like I don't know if it was a coincidence or what. While I'm not a big fan of Williamson's writing he not so subtly had both his Flash and then the first of arc of Bat/Supes address how ridiculous it was that all these terrible things had happened and yet Batman, WW, etc. had done nothing to help any of them. He at least has the right idea for the DCU.

admiraltaftbar

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Dec 9, 2017
Anyone still reading Runaways?

Just caught up after being behind for about a year. What the hell is Marvel doing with Alex? I feel like they have been teasing something for some time now, but I have no idea what.
I'm amazed that runaways is still even a thing. Didn't
two of them get yeeted away in Avengers Arena

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I always assumed the Runaways were a kind of "sacred cow" because despite all the culling every other teen hero group got in the Arena/Undercover era, there was no permanent damage to any of the team members... other than Nico losing a hand.

If only the Avengers Academy team got the same stay of execution...

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
I always assumed the Runaways were a kind of "sacred cow" because despite all the culling every other teen hero group got in the Arena/Undercover era, there was no permanent damage to any of the team members... other than Nico losing a hand.

If only the Avengers Academy team got the same stay of execution...
It really sucks how quickly they got forgotten after that whole saga ended.

Then again, Miles, Sam and Kamala just started up.

It's really the looking back meme.

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
Ric was gonna be his thing. He was solicited for the issues after Dick got shot. I think he did have Percy and/or Jurgens as co-writers, but they were probably gonna drop off. Instead Jurgens took it over.
Percy was never on board for Ric. He wanted Dick to heal on the sidelines and Tim Drake to take over the mantle of Nightwing and protect Bludhaven. There's concept art.
I think I probably would have liked it more if the context around it had been different. Thanks to Gail's work on BoP, Oracle was one of my absolute favorite characters. Making her Batgirl again seemed to me like a step backwards for her. I certainly don't blame Gail for that but it tanked my interest in the book (although I still read the first year or so and found it to be OK).
DC should receive way more flak than it does for walking back Barbara's paralysis since it removed a handicapped superhero, but Gail did a solid job with it. The reason it's so different is because it's so dark. Like, Barbara fucks up so much and people die and it's so messed up. I feel like Gail was going through some shit.

Vordan

Aug 12, 2018
Lol that entire generation or characters got screwed over for some reason. Like I don't know if it was a coincidence or what. While I'm not a big fan of Williamson's writing he not so subtly had both his Flash and then the first of arc of Bat/Supes address how ridiculous it was that all these terrible things had happened and yet Batman, WW, etc. had done nothing to help any of them. He at least has the right idea for the DCU.
Didio never liked the Titans. Thought they aged the main Leaguers up too much. To be fair the Titans have been a dumpster fire franchise for a very long time. I can't really think of anything post-NTT that has stood out to me. Of course the Titans massive fall off also just so happened around the same time as Didio became head man, and I don't think those two are unrelated. Someone desperately needs to HoX/PoX the Titans because just going "we're a family!" doesn't really cut it. What team isn't a family these days?

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
I finished Batman Universe last night. Absolutely loved the art, but man do I hate Bendis. I was hoping the more lighthearted tone would work for him but he just needs to stay away from Batman. Instead of the overly confident but fun Batman with jokes he was just irritating. Again though, my highest praise for Derrington. It could've worked just as well with only his artwork and no dialogue.

Yea I was really hoping I would enjoy Batman Universe. I still have faith Bendis could do a good Batman book, if he did it similar to his Daredevil run. I just dont know if he has it in him anymore lol.

On the other hand, I did enjoy Superman Up In The Sky.
I made a mistake and read a CBR forum again and saw a topic on a Marvel Soft Relaunch which included.

Them dogwhistles.
Yea thatll never happen. This is some asshat's fantasy. I wonder when they will finally give up and realize that they are just not going to get what they want lol.

Astro Cat

Mar 29, 2019
Yea I was really hoping I would enjoy Batman Universe. I still have faith Bendis could do a good Batman book, if he did it similar to his Daredevil run. I just dont know if he has it in him anymore lol.

On the other hand, I did enjoy Superman Up In The Sky.
I was definitely expecting more of the Alias/Daredevil Bendis in Batman, just lighter. I don't think he'll ever be that good again. I was such a huge fan of those books and it's a huge part of why current Bendis is so frustrating. I know he was good once. I really wish I would've waited for Up In The Sky. King is still my favorite Batman writer after Morrison.

R0b1n

Jun 29, 2018
Didio never liked the Titans. Thought they aged the main Leaguers up too much. To be fair the Titans have been a dumpster fire franchise for a very long time. I can't really think of anything post-NTT that has stood out to me. Of course the Titans massive fall off also just so happened around the same time as Didio became head man, and I don't think those two are unrelated. Someone desperately needs to HoX/PoX the Titans because just going "we're a family!" doesn't really cut it. What team isn't a family these days?
The main justice league still feels like a bunch of colleagues, so does current Avengers. The smaller/ancillary teams get that family feel right more

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Its here!!!

uDJhKYW.jpg

Man, DC has really upped their graphic design game with these New 52 Omnis. Ever since the Grayson Omni, theyve been doing a really great job making these things stand out. I like Marvel using images from the actual book on the cover, under the dust jacket. But DC has been going the extra mile with these imo. The image on the dust jacket of this one though is pretty weak.

And say what you will about the actual writing quality, the art is the biggest reason I wanted this book (still not very good at adjusting the size of the images on imgur):

Also got the House of X Powers of X OHC

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Damn, Newsarama got bought by GamesRadar+ and now their site is horrible. Looks like they are going to be the new CBR too lol.

Should start my own site!

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh gawd the first volume of No Guns Life is super cheap right now. A bunch of manga on Chapters has a price slash.

I told myself I wouldn't, but I'm weak.

EDIT: Manga OT didn't help so I thought I'd ask the other Manga OT; I know Dragon Half is a fantasy fanservice comedy, but what's it got in terms of truly objectionable material? Like, I'm fine with fanservice as long as it's not 1000 year old dragons, y'dig?

Last edited:

tim1138

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Does CBR still even cover comics? I swear every time I go there it's stupid wrestling and MCU reddit fan theories.

Multiversity is pretty much the only remaining comics site worth a damn.

_Aaron_

Oct 29, 2017
Damn, Newsarama got bought by GamesRadar+ and now their site is horrible. Looks like they are going to be the new CBR too lol.

🤮 Looks awful.

I think that might be the end of using Newsarama for me. It's usually my go to comic website for news. Guess I'll have to create a twitter account again.

Future Publishing sucks. They got rid of so many decent sites or merged them to GamesRadar, which was never popular. We lost Edge, CVG, OPM, OXM, ONM, SFX, Total Film.

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017

Nooo! Best place for solicits/news. That comics tag for news is gone too, so gonna be the same regurgitated pop-culture news we see on the million other websites out there.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017

jeez, you weren't kidding. there isn't even a way to look specifically for comics news like there used to be.

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Yep, was just coming here to mention this. I've been going there for a while after CBR went to shit and it was so refreshing to not have all the clickbait and non-comic articles but it looks like I'm pretty much doing going there now too. Not being able to filter just the comic stuff kills it for me. Not to mention the god awful design and colors. What a shame.

At this point I feel the best way to follow comic news will be to just visit this thread more often.

Jo-awn

Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY
Holy crap! That layout is bad. I miss the design of the Newsarama since it was unique. Now it looks like every other website. But I get it, ad money is hard. Plus the addition of other beats means more eyeballs. But the death of niche comic book news websites has been around for a while. The website I used to write for, ComicsVerse is now a zombie website due to money drying up, an unsuccessful Patreon launch (last I checked there was one patron), and accusations of plagiarizing an article (long after I stopped writing for them).

I'm not going to lie, I miss interviewing creators, writing comic book reviews, and doing roundtable discussions before the money dried up last year. It was nice getting paid something for it even though it wasn't anything to write home about. I don't think any of my articles got a lot of eyeballs since most of it went to Marvel and DC stuff. I can go into this in detail in another post.

I really do hope the buyout means that writers are getting paid during these times. I don't want to mention names but a website that has versity and comics doesn't have money to pay its contributing writers since stuff was bad for them. Higher-ups had to take a pay cut so that other staff writers get paid. I used to contribute to their mini-reviews before I quit. Online journalism is hard as anyone can attest. I might have spoken a bit too much on this so I hope it doesn't bite me in the ass.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
ComicsEra.com is available for .42 cents per month for the first year on GoDaddy!

May 24, 2019
Percy was never on board for Ric. He wanted Dick to heal on the sidelines and Tim Drake to take over the mantle of Nightwing and protect Bludhaven. There's concept art.

I didn't mean that it was his idea, I just recalled him writing the bridge issues between Dick getting shot and where Rapist Man was gonna start (#58, I think?)
I mixed up Jurgens for Lobdell a bit. Lobdell was co-writing those and Jurgens must've only jumped in to replace Rapist Man.

tim1138

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mark Russell is like single handedly writing the whole digital first line.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Shit. I have to buy this for Jeff.

ff3b6561-1535-4638-8f5e-d6df6f623245.jpg

I bought Spider-Ham figure to display with my Spider-Gwen bishoujo. I'll get this so I can display Jeff next to Gwenpool.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
I am now the proud owner/admin of ComicsEra.com lol. Now hiring laborers! Payment for services starts at: the satisfaction of doing something with your spare time!

Still getting it set up and will probably wait till tomorrow to do the big stuff. But following a guide and using Wordpress as the back bone, and picked the Color Mag theme.

I figure ill start by posting the latest solicitations and stuff like that, as long as its not some sort of exclusive for a competitor. Also current release dates and cancellations/digital only lists. Stuff like that. Also dont plan on just sticking to western comics. Will share games news and shonen jump stuff too.

Last edited:

GringoSuave89

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
LA, CA
I am now the proud owner/admin of ComicsEra.com lol. Now hiring laborers! Payment for services starts at: the satisfaction of doing something with your spare time!

Still getting it set up and will probably wait till tomorrow to do the big stuff. But following a guide and using Wordpress as the back bone, and picked the Color Mag theme.

Feel free to hit me up, I'd love to actually use my degree even for fun haha

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017

You just wasted $18. But I'm sure that's peanuts on a surgeon's income.

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

I am leaving this community!
Oct 25, 2017

I figure ill start by posting the latest solicitations and stuff like that, as long as its not some sort of exclusive for a competitor. Also current release dates and cancellations/digital only lists. Stuff like that. Also dont plan on just sticking to western comics. Will share games news and shonen jump stuff too.

I will end you if you try to usurp me.

Eleriu

The Fallen - Teyvat Traveler
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Awesome! I uh only have my alright graphic design abilities.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
I will end you if you try to usurp me.
I would never do that! This is just a news site/blog, not a forum or anything. Just something to do for fun.

Feel free to hit me up, I'd love to actually use my degree even for fun haha
For sure!

Awesome! I uh only have my alright graphic design abilities.
It will need a logo if you are interested.

R0b1n

Jun 29, 2018

Remember to install wordfence and activate the firewall ASAP

_Aaron_

Oct 29, 2017

Happy to volunteer if you need any help with articles/content.

Status
Not open for further replies.