• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
I;m on James Harvey's Instagram now and came across this:

fuuuuuuuuuuck

I guess it could still happen whenever DC want to get back into weirdo comics.

edit: Sorry for all these embeds, but he and Young Animal pitched a DK2 recolouring! Ahhh!

Though I do like how DK2 already looks. It kinda needs to be as freaky as possible. No point into trying to shine up and make cool what Frank was doing there.

Knowing we could have possibly gotten THAT instead of Simone's Plastic Man really hurts.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
So I guess Marvel's tweet of recent events while it's a Disney connected thing, they are getting the bigger end of shit stick

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
#1-#12 are some of the best cape comics ever. Pretend #13+ does not exist.

So my suggestion would be to get the first Absolute Authority if you are looking for a good collected edition.
Save your money and just buy this when it comes out:

Amazon.com: The Authority Book One (9781779502254): Ellis, Warren: Books

Amazon.com: The Authority Book One (9781779502254): Ellis, Warren: Books

It's too bad the Stormwatch collections are out of print though, because it leads to the Authority.

I'd definitely recommend the Ellis Storm watch volumes if you aren't opposed to getting them on CMX. It's not essential, but 1.) It rules and 2.) you get more background to some of the Authority characters, namely Jenny Sparks.

And then once you're done with all that you can read The Wild Storm and cry because nothing else will ever come of the amazing new world Ellis created because people hate buying good comics.

Thanks all. CMX has the full Authority run (Ellis +Miller) on sale now so eh... I got both volumes. The Miller volume was only $6.

Looking to grab the Storm Watch/Wildstorm stuff to start. Or add to wishlist for sale.

Vordan

Aug 12, 2018
I still have very little desire to read anything. Except Shonen Jumps.

I bought Mercy and Marauders this week but have no motivation to bother. Mercy lost all the momentum it had from the first issue because it came out like 90 years ago.
I checked out almost the entire Preacher run from the library before the pandemic started and it's driving me crazy because I can't bring myself to start reading until I get that final volume.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Diverting into bande dessinee for a sec, is The Man Who Shot Lucky Luke a good read to get into the series, or is it reliant on your nostalgia for it?

lorddarkflare

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone still reading Runaways?

Just caught up after being behind for about a year. What the hell is Marvel doing with Alex? I feel like they have been teasing something for some time now, but I have no idea what.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Knowing we could have possibly gotten THAT instead of Simone's Plastic Man really hurts.
Yup, I agree. Simone's take on Plas was fine although it's not even close to as good as Kyle Baker's run. The proposed run here sounds much better and more ambitious than what Gail did. I'm not sure if it's her or me but I used to absolutely love Gail's stuff. Her Birds of Prey and Secret Six were some all-time runs. I haven't really liked too much of her more recent stuff, however. Her recent BoP digital first was just lame and lifeless.

pantsattack

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a place to buy cheap single issues now that stores are closed? I'm taking random thrift store finds levels/prices. I need a bit of material with mostly mainstream characters for an art project.

Tyrant Rave

Has A Pretty Cool Jacket
Oct 25, 2017
I;m on James Harvey's Instagram now and came across this:

fuuuuuuuuuuck

I guess it could still happen whenever DC want to get back into weirdo comics.

edit: Sorry for all these embeds, but he and Young Animal pitched a DK2 recolouring! Ahhh!

Though I do like how DK2 already looks. It kinda needs to be as freaky as possible. No point into trying to shine up and make cool what Frank was doing there.

James Harvey rocks. I'm glad we got stuff from him in Young Animal at least, but I would have loved to see a Plastic Man run by him

DK2 is really interesting too. I remember years back on GAF sharing a blog post of his where he highlighted how much coloring effected Miller's art. So that 100% seems like his wheelhouse. Some of his examples were really dramatic and cool to see. Worth digging up online!

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone watch Haikyu? Is this Bakugo voice actor?

It is

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
Yup, I agree. Simone's take on Plas was fine although it's not even close to as good as Kyle Baker's run. The proposed run here sounds much better and more ambitious than what Gail did. I'm not sure if it's her or me but I used to absolutely love Gail's stuff. Her Birds of Prey and Secret Six were some all-time runs. I haven't really liked too much of her more recent stuff, however. Her recent BoP digital first was just lame and lifeless.
Have you read her Flash? It's the Flash Fastest Man Alive #1-5. It's great.

Personally I feel like she's being asked to write a lot of stuff she doesn't necessarily want to write, but is. The BoP issue wasn't meant to go anywhere. I really liked Plastic Man, but yeah it doesn't touch a lot of her other stuff. Red Sonja, Wonder Woman, Secret Six, and I've only read the first trade, but her BoP is gonna be the good shit. All just some of the greats. Her Batgirl is solid (I've been meaning to go back to it), but very different from her other stuff.

Recently, Domino and Flash were both really good (not Domino Hot Shots though. That was weird). She is working on that one superhero imprint over at Lion Forge though. Catalyst? So I mean she has a whole independent imprint on her plate (not that it's super big or anything, cuz it's not).

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Have you read her Flash? It's the Flash Fastest Man Alive #1-5. It's great.

Personally I feel like she's being asked to write a lot of stuff she doesn't necessarily want to write, but is. The BoP issue wasn't meant to go anywhere. I really liked Plastic Man, but yeah it doesn't touch a lot of her other stuff. Red Sonja, Wonder Woman, Secret Six, and I've only read the first trade, but her BoP is gonna be the good shit. All just some of the greats. Her Batgirl is solid (I've been meaning to go back to it), but very different from her other stuff.

Recently, Domino and Flash were both really good (not Domino Hot Shots though. That was weird). She is working on that one superhero imprint over at Lion Forge though. Catalyst? So I mean she has a whole independent imprint on her plate (not that it's super big or anything, cuz it's not).
I haven't read her Flash yet, but will give it a shot. Her Red Sonia I'll read soon, based on a recommendation from you and a few others in last month's thread. I didn't care much for her Batgirl run.

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
I haven't read her Flash yet, but will give it a shot. Her Red Sonia I'll read soon, based on a recommendation from you and a few others in last month's thread. I didn't care much for her Batgirl run.
It's hard to recommend her Batgirl because it's so different from both her other work and other Batgirl books

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Rather than RNGing into my backlog the past month, I've mostly been focusing on reading just the books I'm getting as they come in. This way I, at the very least, don't add even more books to my backlog. It's been going somewhat ok! I've definitely lost a bit of ground, but I've probably bought more books than I should have, too. I've read both Baltimore Omnibus, three volumes of Mobile Suit Gundam: The Origin, Absolute Daytripper, Harleen, Astonishing X-Men, and I'm getting started Amazing Spider-Man by Straczynski Vol. 2. I've got Black Science Vol.1 & 2 waiting for Vol. 3 to arrive and Junji Ito's Uzumaki, which I've been putting off cuz my nerves are already frayed, which have been added to the stack.

Hopefully, I'm able to start doing write-ups for books as I finish them again.

Porl

Nov 6, 2017
So uh who's this "Phanphere" person that worked in the OT? Never heard of em

R0b1n

Jun 29, 2018
I finished all 8 volumes of the metabarons during the weekend. The books were surprisingly bingeable, each volume ends with a hook of some sort and the length of the volumes were pretty bite-sized compared to what I am used to.

Anyways, the story felt very much like a mythological epic, following the life and deaths of the members of a legendary lineage. Some story beats do repeat a lot of "hive mind is beaten, every one connected with it died!!" , but each of the metabarons were different enough to be interesting. The art was of course amazing throughout, but I felt the lettering made me confused sometimes. The speech bubbles are often placed quite far away from the speaker, and when there are multiple people in the room it gets confusing. I was also rather confused at the sequential art for the marble accident sequence in the first volume, but other than that I had no problems following the action.

The largest problem with the series is its treatment of women. Like many mythological epics, women in the story are often little more than objects of desire (if I had a penny everytime someone gets their top taken off), or conniving hags, falling in love instantly with the main guy. But well, none of the characters are particularly "deep", which once again, fits the mythological epic feeling very well (funny thing, I am reading through Ovid's the Metamorphoses alongside this).

Overall though, I felt it was a good read with really fantastic art, executing what it aims for well. Just don't go in expecting "hard sci-fi" or something very introspective into the human condition

Edit: To add on, my favourite metabaron is steelhead

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's hard to recommend her Batgirl because it's so different from both her other work and other Batgirl books
I think I probably would have liked it more if the context around it had been different. Thanks to Gail's work on BoP, Oracle was one of my absolute favorite characters. Making her Batgirl again seemed to me like a step backwards for her. I certainly don't blame Gail for that but it tanked my interest in the book (although I still read the first year or so and found it to be OK).

Vordan

Aug 12, 2018
Wow, guess Jurgens was a fan of that idea too
I don't know, Jurgens is a company man who will write what the editors tell him to write. I'm pretty positive that Didio just wanted Nightwing shuffled off to the side, and Ric was the easiest way to do that long term. Wouldn't surprise me if he was also going to be replaced during 5G. It's obscene that they've dragged on Ric for this long, Snyder better use regular Dick for Death Metal or I'm going to be pissed.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I started Superman Smashes the Klan yesterday (read the first issue). It's really impressive stuff. The art gives it such a timeless feel and the subject matter seems very timely given the state of the country. The included history and personal history from Yang is a quality addition as well. Between this, Up in the Sky, and the first few volumes of Tomasi, it seems like we've gotten a few really strong Superman stories in a short period of time.

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

I am leaving this community!
Oct 25, 2017
Harley vs Punchline vs Jokers Daughter by Tynion and March.

Seriously though Gotham City Sirens by Tynion and March

Astro Cat

Mar 29, 2019
I finished Batman Universe last night. Absolutely loved the art, but man do I hate Bendis. I was hoping the more lighthearted tone would work for him but he just needs to stay away from Batman. Instead of the overly confident but fun Batman with jokes he was just irritating. Again though, my highest praise for Derrington. It could've worked just as well with only his artwork and no dialogue.

on the more positive side, I also finished Doom Patrol s1. I think it would've been perfect if it was a few episodes shorter but what a great adaptation. Really impressive and had that Morrison-meta vibe throughout.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
I made a mistake and read a CBR forum again and saw a topic on a Marvel Soft Relaunch which included.

•Carol Danvers is now Ms. Marvel again with the iconic sexy look, with her genuinely flawed but much more likable personality.
•Falcon never becomes Cap, X-23 doesn't become Wolverine, Amadeus Cho remains a brainy nerd but doesn't become Hulk. Their characters instead develop naturally.
•Miles Morales exists but has an all new identity and is written more like ITSV and PS4
•Same with Kamala Khan who is also given more depth as a character and less emphasis on her religion/race.
•Jane Foster remains a civilian and never becomes Thor.
•Other characters like Riri Williams, America Chavez, and a lot of the Champions are put on the backburner and HEAVILY reinvented if reintroduced. Characters like the New New Warriors and Children of the Atom no longer exist.

Them dogwhistles.

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
CBR died with the Comics You Should Own posts.

Finally got that marvel digital store shutting down email. Looks like the comics are also accessible via cmx? So that's good.

Wonder how long the Dark Horse digital store will hold out.

Status
Not open for further replies.