• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Will Batman marry Catwoman during Tom Kings Batman storyline?

• Yes

Votes: 58 56.3%
  • No

Votes: 45 43.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Uhhhhhhhhhh. Anyone reading Age of X-Man? Specifically The Amazing Nightcrawler?

Wait a second. nevermind. I think I misread this bit. Nightcrawler did not in fact have sex with his mom.

Last edited:

hipsterpants

Oct 25, 2017
Just posting to say I watched FLCL again and it's still the perfect show. Wish some of the EVA on Netflix hype would transfer over to checking this out.

The manga scenes are still hilarious even after seeing them probably 5+ times by now.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
Uhhhhhhhhhh. Anyone reading Age of X-Man? Specifically The Amazing Nightcrawler?

So, Nightcrawler fucked his mom? They're just going to drop that little factoid without breaking it down? That the woman Nightcrawler fell in love with is actually Mystique? I mean, okay, she believed she was a different woman at the time. And technically this is a made-up fake universe. Pretty sure that's not going to hold up in court.
Mystique is still in the normal universe. This Mystique is Meggan looking like someone Kurt knew in the past through her powers.

bluexy

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Mystique is still in the normal universe. This Mystique is Meggan looking like someone Kurt knew in the past through her powers.

Yar, thanks. I had to read through it a couple of times. I read it way too fast the first time through, lol.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Yooooo, looks like it's finally coming in September.

81axjMR9ulL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Hopefully it's as good as the comics!

😃

Porl

Nov 6, 2017
I'm officially caught up on Black Science. Am I crazy for thinking it's one of the best books I've ever read?
I like it a lot, better than Deadly Class imo. Scalera's art is amazing. There's some stuff I don't know how to feel about Grant's character but it's probably because I've forgotten some stuff from the beginning.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
I'm pretty bummed about Bendis on Legion. I don't think he's going to suck, I just...ugh. I've loved the Legion since 2004 when they were doing The Legion. They've been gone for so long, now is the perfect time to reinvent them. They could do so much with those characters and be so much more. As the team from the future, they could be the superteam that the Justice League isn't. The team people have been clamoring for--a racially diverse, queer group of Star Children. That was why I wanted either a talented PoC/queer creator, or Kieron Gillen/Jamie McKelvie on the books because I saw what they did for Young Avengers and they could do way more with the Legion.

I also wanted Hickman or Morrison because I knew if they weren't going to do that then at least the books would be weird and great for some other reason.

This is just going to be a straight up reboot of the Legion, with Bendis carving out a version that looks marginally similar to the versions that came before, only with slight differences added. *sigh*

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017
This is just going to be a straight up reboot of the Legion, with Bendis carving out a version that looks marginally similar to the versions that came before, only with slight differences added. *sigh*

It's really hard to be optimistic. I guess I'm only expecting a decent enough teen book now, but it already feels similar to Batman where I'm going to spend the next few years mostly waiting for this guy to get off the book, so something interesting can be done with it.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
It's really hard to be optimistic. I guess I'm only expecting a decent enough teen book now, but it already feels similar to Batman where I'm going to spend the next few years mostly waiting for this guy to get off the book, so something interesting can be done with it.

With Batman there's a billion Batman comics. Even now if you don't like King's Batman there's Detective Comics. Justice League too. Here Bendis will be the only person behind the franchise. He's doing a decent job with Young Justice but I never wanted much from that comic anyway, just for them to be back and working together.

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, even if you set the history aside, X-Men is caught in the perfect storm right now of:

-Hickman writing it
-New editorial that's very keen to try a lot of stuff
-X-Men likely being a key thing that keeps the MCU interesting post-Endgame/Fox buyout

It's not really like Hulk or something would get the money if X-Men didn't - they'd just not spend it this way at all, more likely.

With Batman there's a billion Batman comics. Even now if you don't like King's Batman there's Detective Comics. Justice League too. Here Bendis will be the only person behind the franchise. He's doing a decent job with Young Justice but I never wanted much from that comic anyway, just for them to be back and working together.

Very true.

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
You know I'm talking about the whole push

No I didn't, because you said specifically "any other title". That part has already been explained. It was their bread and butter for two decades. They let it go. Hickman convinced them to cancel the whole line for this.

And even if you're talking about a push of the X-line, the question remains: what else would you put there instead? Edit: To be clear, I don't think it'll work to draw new readers in. But looking at the entire publishing line, yeah, this is the relaunch to do it. Unless you're going to New 52 the Marvel Universe.

Last edited:

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
Wait, what do you mean? I was really impressed with King's Omega Men portrayal. Had no problem taking them seriously. I had no idea they were in Andreyko's Supergirl but that's really exciting to me, personally.
Because they're extremely Silver Age-y in this by comparison, and after all of what happened in Omega Men, I can't take this rebel group that definitely murdered a shit ton of people being treated as a standard cosmic superhero group seriously at all.

hipsterpants

Oct 25, 2017
Marvel spending money on a billboard when any sane non-comics reading person would laugh at the prospect of spending $6 on 40 pages of content.

But this is the same company that apparently thinks that the $10 #1000 issue will sell 1 million copies lmao.

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
Have to buy the 2nd Morrison Batman omnibus but can't think of anything else I need to get it to the free shipping tier...

Considering this, a Boom collection that is actually priced in line with other trades!

GbciiBE.png

Marvel spending money on a billboard when any sane non-comics reading person would laugh at the prospect of spending $6 on 40 pages of content.

But this is the same company that apparently thinks that the $10 #1000 issue will sell 1 million copies lmao.

There's no way they will let the sales for that issue go below 1m. If they aren't hitting that number, they are going to stuff those into loot boxes or force shops to order them or even buy it themselves.

cbrotherson

Freelance Games & Comic Book Writer
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Birmingham
Yooooo, looks like it's finally coming in September.

81axjMR9ulL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Hopefully it's as good as the comics!

😃

I'm firmly in the branch of 'the gameplay can be limited just as long as the writing is authentic and good'. I'm currently playing The Lion's Song and there's not a lot of gameplay per se, but it's wonderfully written. A playable Blacksad quality story would be enough for me.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty bummed about Bendis on Legion. I don't think he's going to suck, I just...ugh. I've loved the Legion since 2004 when they were doing The Legion. They've been gone for so long, now is the perfect time to reinvent them. They could do so much with those characters and be so much more. As the team from the future, they could be the superteam that the Justice League isn't. The team people have been clamoring for--a racially diverse, queer group of Star Children. That was why I wanted either a talented PoC/queer creator, or Kieron Gillen/Jamie McKelvie on the books because I saw what they did for Young Avengers and they could do way more with the Legion.

I also wanted Hickman or Morrison because I knew if they weren't going to do that then at least the books would be weird and great for some other reason.

I know what you mean. He does seem to have a ton of enthusiasm for the Legion, more than ive seen him on any other property at DC, so I am a bit more optomistic at least.

Speaking of, I finally listened to the most recent Comics Conspiracy podcast and they did a whole thing on this reveal. Higgins speculates that when Doomsday Clock was originally being planned and started, Johns laid out a plan for reintroducing the JSA and LOSH. And he was going to write them both after, until the delays started to pile up and he was given a new position at DC/WB.

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
Marvel wants Midnight parties at comic stores for House of X. Wonder if that is going to be more successful or less than those Windows launch parties.

So, looking back at Vertigo. What are your top 3 to come out of that Imprint? Difficult for me to pick because most of my favourites are from there.

1) Sandman
2) Transmetropolitan
3) Sandman Mystery Theatre

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Found a Black Science Premier HC Vol 2 still sealed on eBay last night and bought it for $22 lol. I'm the best at impulse buys!

Now I need to buy vol 1 damnit

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Found a Black Science Premier HC Vol 2 still sealed on eBay last night and bought it for $22 lol. I'm the best at impulse buys!

Yea, I have had those on my wishlist at IST for ages. Vol. 2 is gone and it seems like its getting difficult to get them. May snatch them myself if I come across them now.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Yea, I have had those on my wishlist at IST for ages. Vol. 2 is gone and it seems like its getting difficult to get them. May snatch them myself if I come across them now.
I dont like using eBay, but sometimes you can find some good deals. Just make sure you read everything lol. Theres a guy selling a ton of old OOP omnis that are still sealed, BUT in the fine print it says that they are all damaged lol. Still full price or more and doesnt have the damage in the pics. Super shady.

Last time I used eBay I bought some Play Arts figures that were totally chinese knockoffs.

bluexy

Verified
Oct 25, 2017

At leat the Remastered Vol. 1 is still available in quantity.

So, looking back at Vertigo. What are your top 3 to come out of that Imprint? Difficult for me to pick because most of my favourites are from there.

1) Sandman
2) Transmetropolitan

Nothing surprising from me. Sandman, Animal Man, Fables.

tim1138

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

1) Sandman
2) Transmetropolitan

Since you list TransMet I'm guessing that means books that debuted elsewhere at DC but ended up at Vertigo count? If so my three would be:

1) Animal Man
2) Transmetropolitan
3) Unknown Soldier (Dysart)

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
At leat the Remastered Vol. 1 is still available in quantity.
Nothing surprising from me. Sandman, Animal Man, Fables.

I couldn't really get into the second half of Fables at all. I have the HCs for the first half.

(And tbh, there were things I noticed in my second/third re-read that have dampened my enthusiasm for that series).

Since you list TransMet I'm guessing that means books that debuted elsewhere at DC but ended up at Vertigo count? If so my three would be:

1) Animal Man
2) Transmetropolitan
3) Unknown Soldier (Dysart)

I think we should count those. Doom patrol, Swamp Thing and others also spent a good amount of time there under Berger (and were kinda fostered by her too).

KineAg62

May 8, 2018
It seems like everyone has already judged BMB on Legion. His track record so far at DC has been entertaining. Superman has been kind of meh, but it has had some high points. I'll give him a chance before declaring that the sky is falling.

mjc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So I guess I have a month to catch up on all relevant X-Men stories from the last two years or so. Wish me luck.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
It seems like everyone has already judged BMB on Legion. His track record so far at DC has been entertaining. Superman has been kind of meh, but it has had some high points. I'll give him a chance before declaring that the sky is falling.
I dont think I would use the word judging. I think people are just cautious atm. Im more hopeful than normal, but Im still very excited. I think Sage just wanted someone who would be a bit more inclusive for this version of the Legion. But Bendis might surprise when the book finally starts.

Huggy

Oct 25, 2017

Careful when buying Black Science HC vol 1 as there are 2 versions of it. The first printing came glued to the spine and is a pain to read. On the other hand the newer printing isn't great either and I've dealt with 3 copies where the signatures cane detached from the binding.

Black Science is damn good though. Can't wait for the 3rd Hardcover whenever it happens (should prob just pick up the trades)

bluexy

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I couldn't really get into the second half of Fables at all. I have the HCs for the first half.

(And tbh, there were things I noticed in my second/third re-read that have dampened my enthusiasm for that series).

For me, it's just the wonder of a world that's continued for so long. There's no recapturing the magic of those first few books. No recapturing the magic through the first half of the series. But my expectations changed with it as it continued on. It was still incredible keeping the journey going, even if towards the end it felt like it was being written just for the sake of keeping things going.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
So I guess I have a month to catch up on all relevant X-Men stories from the last two years or so. Wish me luck.
Not worth it. Just read the ones that seem interesting or good. Don't read like all of Gold, Blue, Gen X, Cable, Red, Astonishing, Old Man Logan, Dead Man Logan, all the return of Wolverine minis, Extermination, Rogue & Gambit, Mr. and Mrs. X, New Mutants, Multiple Man, Uncanny X-Men, X-Force, All New Wolverine, and X-23.... I'm sure I missed some. That was all off the top of my head.

My favorites were Red, Extermination, All New Wolverine, and Rogue & Gambit stuff. You could just read what seems fun, and then we could tell you anything important that happened.

If you wanna read ones with important plot points... first half of Astonishing X-Men, Extermination, and then google how Wolverine came back, because the minis and revival stories weren't that good. Ignore Uncanny X-Men, because not only is it bad, but it'll likely be ignored when it ends.

Can someone gimme that Dark Beast quote about Rosenberg's X-Men?
Edit: found.
Dalek said:
It's better-but it's not saying much. UXM is so aggressively mediocre right now. It's really just a silly ridiculous book that is trying to come off as something fresh and new. The X-Men are living in the back of a bar for Christ sake and working with Dark Beast. I've zoned out and I'm just biding my time until Hickman shows up to save us.

Last edited:

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
My friend is reading God Country for the first time, and he just pointed out that they drink Duff beer. I never noticed. Deep lore shared with Simpsons.

Status
Not open for further replies.