• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
It has not been anywhere near as bad as ANAD or Now 2.0 and you can't tell me otherwise. The X line relaunched twice under Alonso. He left right as the third launch was happening.

We haven had an America yet, both in terms of quality or just sheer offensiveness. We had some outright bad or offensive books under Alonso and terrible PR for those books to boot and it has not been nearly that bad. "Some good books and some eh books" also describes DC right now at this exact moment as well.

Marvel has:

Immortal Hilk
Venom
Ms Marvel
Thor
Guardians of the Galaxy
The bulk of the X line
Iron Man is a mixed bag right now with it being a whole 2020 event, but it was high quality under Slott
Black Panther and Captain America, get mixed praises because Coates is a good writer, but maybe not the best superhero comics writer.
Avengers under Aaron has been average. Not even terrible.
The entire Spider line is good, yeah? I mean, everyone seems to largely think positively.

The problem is Marvel lost its momentum due to COVID.

Even if the books aren't screaming from the heavens right now for how amazing they are, Alonso's era was actively convincing people to drop Marvel because of how bad a huge chunk of it was and the consistently dumb shit he was saying, which has not happened with Cebulski. Plus, the few events that have happened under Cebulski: War of the Realms, Absolute Carnage, Contagion, No Road Home, and House of X/Powers of X, were all pretty solid to good. War of the Realms being the worst and even that wasn't that bad. Now we have Empyre and everyone here admitted a strong start and has been excited for it due to Ewing.

The biggest issues is somehow minimizing the Avengers brand, reupping the X Line and of course, David Gabriel still saying events and events on top of events.

It's still a long way out but honestly, it felt like he never left. Akirasan just got lucky Cates was the last Axel hire and still had a good team of writers, still mostly white guys and while the X Line is back up and running, it feels like it came at a cost. The Young Hero push just ended and we're about to do another event while the current event is just starting. Also, giving Slott F4 and Spencer ASM will likely be misfires if both runs end badly.

Konradleijon

Banned
Jun 7, 2020
I like some of his stuff, its clear he really doesn't like superheroes though.
Apart from Superman, oddly.

I have a fondness for Preacher though, as its clear Ennis really hates organised religion.
Of which we are in agreement 100%.

why do you hate religion so much?

and if I know anything about Anglosphere atheists when they say how much religion sucks they mean Christianity, as most of this people don't know the first thing about Jainism,Sikhism and Native American beliefs, much less know enough to adequately critique them.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
why do you hate religion so much?

and if I know anything about Anglosphere atheists when they say how much religion sucks they mean Christianity, as most of this people don't know the first thing about Jainism,Sikhism and Native American beliefs, much less know enough to adequately critique them.
Ok I don't hate every religion, I just hate the concept of organised religion.
Its just used constantly to rob people, abuse people, flaunt laws and as a excuse for bigotry, xenophobia and being generally shitty to your fellow man.

Astro Cat

Mar 29, 2019
Any of you dislike Garth Ennis most of his work has lots of disgusting bullshit, but people say it's good because of critiques of Toxic masculinity , military industrial complex, and corporate culture.
I'm a fan of Ennis if only for Fury, Punisher, and especially Preacher. He hates superheroes and never makes an effort to hide it. He tries too hard to be edgy sometimes but also sometimes it works.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
It's weird but when I think about it comics haven't really created that many superstar writers in the last 15 years. So many of our best people are 45-60.

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

I am leaving this community!
Oct 25, 2017
What is Capullo actually working on at the moment?
I lost track of him a bit, but it sounds like he's working harder than ever.

Death Metal

Btw that was his actual rethoric over the hospitalization and saying how many hours he was working in excess to deliver his art.

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
The biggest issues is somehow minimizing the Avengers brand, reupping the X Line and of course, David Gabriel still saying events and events on top of events.

It's still a long way out but honestly, it felt like he never left. Akirasan just got lucky Cates was the last Axel hire and still had a good team of writers, still mostly white guys and while the X Line is back up and running, it feels like it came at a cost. The Young Hero push just ended and we're about to do another event while the current event is just starting. Also, giving Slott F4 and Spencer ASM will likely be misfires if both runs end badly.
The thing is, Cebulski's only actually had two major events, with a third coming up and they took awhile to happen (unless I'm forgetting some): Absolute Carnage, War of the Realms, and Empyre. Any other events have been localized to their lines. No Road Home is just Avengers. Contagion is just street level (with zero affect on any of the books). HoX/PoX was a full X-line reboot. The minimizing of the Avengers line isn't really a bad thing when 90% of those books were getting cancelled 6-13 issues in as is.

You forget how many books Alonso basically wasted on us. Cebulski's treatment of Sina Grace aside, he brought back Iceman because of demand. He brought back Unstoppable Wasp because of demand. Things that when asked about their cancellation, Alonso basically bumblefucked his way through an excuse. Also, Alonso trimmed down the Avengers line and minimized it as well using No Surrender, and Cebulski has kept it that way. The only thing I have been universally angry at with Cebulski is Death of the Inhumans. Infuriating.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
It's weird but when I think about it comics haven't really created that many superstar writers in the last 15 years. So many of our best people are 45-60.
healthier to go into animation these days, which, given how shitty the animation industry is to workers, tells you a lot about comics.

R0b1n

Jun 29, 2018
Any of you dislike Garth Ennis most of his work has lots of disgusting bullshit, but people say it's good because of critiques of Toxic masculinity , military industrial complex, and corporate culture,

but to get their you have to get through Edgelord bullshit, Implied and shown rape and lots of gorn.

to see his pretty obvious to me political points, yes Big corporations that have power over the government are bad, but did I really have show a dog trained to rape Superheros?

and Not!Superman rapeing a bunch of women?

It's like listening to someone given a pretty decent lecture, but between ever few sentences the Person speaking vomits for 5 minutes, before a few more sentences.
My favourite stuff of Ennis is his Hellblazer. I think it's his work with the least of the random edgy shock value stuff
But then again I liked Constantine in the first place, so I am quite biased

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
healthier to go into animation these days, which, given how shitty the animation industry is to workers, tells you a lot about comics.

I didn't say artists. I said writers. I've been thinking about it and googling and very few of the big DC and Marvel creators are in their late 20s or even 30s. James Tynion getting into the business is crazy because he's 32 and has been working since 2012 or so. There aren't that many writers I can think of who are that young that have reached such a high level. Maybe some of the X-Crew?

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
that actually pretty common in Mangaka. Like the Wroter of HunterxHunter has a pretty serious illness and drawing probably hurts like hell,but he is still writing HxH even with the frequent hiatus .
Oh I know. Being a Mangaka sounds like one of the most unforgiving professions you can do as an artist/writer.
At least on a weekly schedule.

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

Oct 25, 2017
Horikoshi and Asano pls take it easy and don't burn out.

bluexy

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't say artists. I said writers. I've been thinking about it and googling and very few of the big DC and Marvel creators are in their late 20s or even 30s. James Tynion getting into the business is crazy because he's 32 and has been working since 2012 or so. There aren't that many writers I can think of who are that young that have reached such a high level. Maybe some of the X-Crew?
o woops. thought we were talking about capullo + friends. tho to be honest it's also true for writers.

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017

I mean, Avengers is minimized because Aaron is the flagship writer and he seemingly has no desire to do crossovers at the moment. War of the Realms was his big thrust and he's not even a part of Empyre, as Ewing and Zub are doing all the Avengers stuff there.

He's busy touching various aspects of the Marvel Universe: Celestials, vampires, and Khonshu for some reason.

residentgrigo

Banned
Oct 30, 2019
Germany
Oh right. BATMAN: SINS OF THE FATHER It´s ok but clearly left no impression. Having the TT canon end with S2 ain´t great.

I´ll believe WB that they are making DC movie XYZ when the cameras roll. Not a second before. Dini´s wife on the right.
Zee_Dini.jpg
1935102-l__7_.jpg

The new TAS comic is pretty good btw and ignores the unfinished last run from 2003/4 by the same artist and the Kyle Higgins stuff. The comic reboot was teased in 2019 with figures!
EF-TC17VAAAm7BW.jpg

Bats might put on the DKR power suit as that 4th figure is the last "canon addition" still not in the book. The 1992 to 2004 Batman TAS comics are worth it btw and are now going through reprints. Superman TAS (Mark Millar´s breeding ground, lol) is also good. The canonical Young Justice one is further ok but I expected more from Greg Weisman. There 3 are it when it comes to essential DC cartoon adaptations. I think.

Last edited:

Vordan

Aug 12, 2018
Bit lttp but Steve Orlando did a Red Hood story and it was pretty good!
Haven't read that issue but I do think he'd be a good replacement for Lobdell. He's very good at writing hyper violent characters struggling to find their humanity as he proved with Midnighter. He's a continuity junkie so he would build on the previous writers (and let's face it, after 9 years Lobdell is a defining Red Hood writer like it or not). And he's queer so that would make for a nice follow up to Lobdell being a shithead.
Any of you dislike Garth Ennis most of his work has lots of disgusting bullshit, but people say it's good because of critiques of Toxic masculinity , military industrial complex, and corporate culture,

but to get their you have to get through Edgelord bullshit, Implied and shown rape and lots of gorn.

to see his pretty obvious to me political points, yes Big corporations that have power over the government are bad, but did I really have show a dog trained to rape Superheros?

and Not!Superman rapeing a bunch of women?

It's like listening to someone given a pretty decent lecture, but between ever few sentences the Person speaking vomits for 5 minutes, before a few more sentences.
He has some good stuff where he retains his edge without going overboard like Hellblazer, Preacher, Punisher, Hitman, and Fury. He's also written a lot of war comics that I've heard are good. But he fucking hates superheroes and he likes to tweak the nose of the "Puritan" morals of the American comic book audience, and that sometimes leads to stories that are him just shitting on stuff he dislikes without any deeper meaning beneath the shitflinging.
Yeah it's a bit depressing but think of how the industry works. There's no entry books where the Big 2 try out new talent, so young creators typically have to work a 9-5 to support themselves while they try to get their indie comics made in the hopes of attracting the Big 2's attention. Then after you make it big at the Big 2, plenty of people bail to go back to doing Indie work that can lead to the big Hollywood $$$, since working for the Big 2 usually doesn't pay that great. It's not a system that encourages fresh faces, especially when you add in the harassment, and that a lot of the time your way in is by cozying up to an older creator like Scott Snyder or Hickman and getting them to get you a job. Pretty hard for fresh faces in their twenties to become friends with those guys.

Astro Cat

Mar 29, 2019
Just got my Gerry Conway BLM Punisher shirt in. It's pretty high quality and they included a BLM mask too which is sure to piss off the absolute morons in North GA lol

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

Oct 25, 2017
The fight in Wonder Woman Dead Earth #3 was awesome. DWJ is so good at epic scale and fight scenes.

residentgrigo

Banned
Oct 30, 2019
Germany
Always wait for a trade to bring you that info: Variety, The Hollywood Reporter, Deadline.
Exactly these are the Big 3 Holywood trades. Not bullshit proof and all are being used by Hollywood to print outright studio propaganda but they do bite back and are overall trustworthy. Who would you give the No 4 spot if there is one?

A goldie by THR to proof they they aren´t just ad magazines:
suicide_squad_illo_by_jonathan_carlson.jpg

www.hollywoodreporter.com

‘Suicide Squad’s’ Secret Drama: Rushed Production, Competing Cuts, High Anxiety

The upheaval like that behind Warner? Bros.' DC team-up is becoming a staple of studio franchise filmmaking.
And the DCEU hits kept on coming. Boi did they ever. I want off Mr. WB´s wild ride. Help? Also fun every year:

Brutally Honest Oscar Voter Ballot No. 8

A member of the Academy's directors branch tells THR that he thought "Gravity" was "an amazing accomplishment," Sandra Bullock literally "talked me into voting for her" and he voted for "Happy," by Pharrell, "because it's such a happy song."
These are really shocking at times. The 2020 or 2019 one featured what can only be described as racist grandma. Oh, the Oscars. Such a sham.

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
Exactly these are the Big 3 Holywood trades. Not bullshit proof and all are being used by Hollywood to print outright studio propaganda but they do bite back and are overall trustworthy. Who would you give the No 4 spot if there is one?

A goldie by THR to proof they they aren´t just ad magazines:
suicide_squad_illo_by_jonathan_carlson.jpg

‘Suicide Squad’s’ Secret Drama: Rushed Production, Competing Cuts, High Anxiety

The upheaval like that behind Warner? Bros.' DC team-up is becoming a staple of studio franchise filmmaking.
And the DCEU hits kept on coming. Boi did they ever. I want off Mr. WB´s wild ride. Help?

Also fun every year:

Brutally Honest Oscar Voter Ballot No. 8

A member of the Academy's directors branch tells THR that he thought "Gravity" was "an amazing accomplishment," Sandra Bullock literally "talked me into voting for her" and he voted for "Happy," by Pharrell, "because it's such a happy song."

Probably The Wrap.

May 24, 2019

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Saw someone post their Black Science Premiere editions on Twitter and now I want 'em. They look so dang pretty.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Id like to see Hill take over. I know hes already doing Outsiders, but I think he would do exactly what I would want from that type of a book.

Just looking at the trade dress quotes lol:

"The Jason Todd Batman fans have been waiting for"
"A Successful Rebirth"
"The Jason Todd Batman fans have been waiting for" again on vol. 3 lol
"One of the more earnest takes on the character weve seen"

Then nothing when they switched to Outlaw

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah it's a bit depressing but think of how the industry works. There's no entry books where the Big 2 try out new talent, so young creators typically have to work a 9-5 to support themselves while they try to get their indie comics made in the hopes of attracting the Big 2's attention. Then after you make it big at the Big 2, plenty of people bail to go back to doing Indie work that can lead to the big Hollywood $$$, since working for the Big 2 usually doesn't pay that great. It's not a system that encourages fresh faces, especially when you add in the harassment, and that a lot of the time your way in is by cozying up to an older creator like Scott Snyder or Hickman and getting them to get you a job. Pretty hard for fresh faces in their twenties to become friends with those guys.

Yeah I just started googling all the "big" names I could think of. The youngest names are Tynion (32) and Williamson (38) over at DC. Tini Howard (34) and Vita Ayala (35) are in that same age range.

I really thought I was too old to get into comics at 32 but...fuck me, someone in their 30s counts as new blood.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I just started googling all the "big" names I could think of. The youngest names are Tynion (32) and Williamson (38) over at DC. Tini Howard (34) and Vita Ayala (35) are in that same age range.

I really thought I was too old to get into comics at 32 but...fuck me, someone in their 30s counts as new blood.
Damn. Where are all the youngsters?

bluexy

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
a good start to a Zatanna film would be the Swamp Thing sequence from Alan Moore with her at the table with her father + constantine + other sorcerers. don't even have to explain the context with the beast + crisis. just leave it as a big ol' mystery that can be explored later in the dcu.

hipsterpants

Oct 25, 2017
I can't be excited for a Zatanna film unless it's confirmed we get a Morrison/Dini take on her. Miss me with that JLD angst, give me fun with a top hat and a disaster love life.

Also no Constantine within 10000 miles.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I imagine 90% of comic creators under 30 are working in like... webcomics or some other modern format. The comic industry crashed in the mid-90s, so you'd have to be born in the 80s to even remember a time where the 22 page, monthly issue format was a "thing." You only get into comics at this point out of love for the medium, and most young creatives are only vaguely aware that the medium even exists.

bluexy

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Near Mint Con just put up an interview with Billy Tucci -- known ComicsGate supporter. rip.

Status
Not open for further replies.