• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tim1138

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Hoopla uploaded the correct version of the second Dial H trade so I finally got to read the last issue today, and damn was that a good series.

Say what you will about Bendis' cape writing (I really liked Pearl and Cover), but that investment by DC was worth it just for the Wonder Comics stuff. Dial H, Wonder Twins, and Naomi were all excellent, Amethyst is great so far, and Young Justice has gotten much better. Plus you know he's the reason Fraction came over to Jimmy Olsen and probably the reason Rucka came back for Lois.

Maybe they should just take him off the Superman line and LoSH and let him and his friends run wild on Wonder Comics and Jinxworld.

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

I am leaving this community!
Oct 25, 2017
We had to stop after 5 hours as I was bleeding a lot and duper swollen. Will finish in 2 months with the last of my sleeve touch ups. But... Here's Punchline

Yes she's wearing a classic Harley mask and the ears and Punchlines hair go down the back of my arm but it's hard to photo.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
is it too late for messi to change this month's subtitle to something about knull cum?

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
We had to stop after 5 hours as I was bleeding a lot and duper swollen. Will finish in 2 months with the last of my sleeve touch ups. But... Here's Punchline

Yes she's wearing a classic Harley mask and the ears and Punchlines hair go down the back of my arm but it's hard to photo.

Damn all in on that Punchline.
Looks cool though.

Myself I am far too short to get a tattoo.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Hoopla uploaded the correct version of the second Dial H trade so I finally got to read the last issue today, and damn was that a good series.

Say what you will about Bendis' cape writing (I really liked Pearl and Cover), but that investment by DC was worth it just for the Wonder Comics stuff. Dial H, Wonder Twins, and Naomi were all excellent, Amethyst is great so far, and Young Justice has gotten much better. Plus you know he's the reason Fraction came over to Jimmy Olsen and probably the reason Rucka came back for Lois.

Maybe they should just take him off the Superman line and LoSH and let him and his friends run wild on Wonder Comics and Jinxworld.
I haven't read Amethyst yet, but I agree with every other word here. Pearl and Cover were great.
Dial H was really incredible. The homages/parodies of some of the different eras and genres, particularly in the earlier issues were an absolute joy and perfect for those who have been into comics for a long time.
Also, speaking of Wonder Twins - I would love it if they followed up on ASTRISK as that sounds like it could be a really fun concept.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
I looked at DC's solicits and I realized there's only five books being published there right now I give a shit about. Man, things are really dire.

ElNarez

Oct 28, 2017
I believe Ray Fisher, with respect to Joss Whedon. Geoff Johns though feels like a guy stretched way too thin across so much shit that it feels like he's scarcely ever involved with ONE thing enough to make a proper impact.
I feel like there's a simpler explanation which is that Geoff Johns had little to no experience in movies which is pretty bad when your new job is literally "movie executive"

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
17 variants for Red Sonja #16, 19 variants for Vampirella #10. dynamite out here trying to make some money back.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
And it's gonna get worse on the Marvel side, the Indies feel like tradewaits

Indies are mid and people should stop hyping them so much. There's a few that are good here and there, but most aren't better than cape comics.

I feel like there's a simpler explanation which is that Geoff Johns had little to no experience in movies which is pretty bad when your new job is literally "movie executive"

He interned for Donner and was in a couple writer's rooms, but then suddenly DC's wacky shit got him promoted to DC's "Chief Creative Officer". I wouldn't say that wasn't a contributing factor.

Having said all that, I don't really have specifics on this. It's possible Geoff Johns is an asshole, and people come flooding out of the woodworks over the next few weeks and prove that. When I did my "count" of comics I would consider "good", Geoff's one book wasn't included so I'm mentally preparing myself to give them up.

But it ruins a bit of my excitement as far as DC doing a creative refresh. If the 52 group and James Tynion aren't at the heart of that, I'm not terribly interested as most of the people working there right now are just churning out "comics". Nothing I feel like I have to read.

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
Abyssal god. Also the origin of all symbiotes, like Venom.
One of the very best episodes of the series.

"They'd love it here, don't you think?"
"Who?"
"Mom and Dad. They'd be so proud of you."
"...Just drive."
"And with that power, we've made a world where no eight-year-old boy will ever lose his parents because of some punk with a gun!"
Goddamn now I really have to rewatch the series.

hipsterpants

Oct 25, 2017
I just want to know when Amazing MJ is coming back. It'll obviously be digital only but still.

Or maybe she'll just stay stuck in Montana forever.

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
So did anybody pick up today's biggest kickstarter release? It has variants!

4dd9b1bb8f4e63a074dbe109ecf5c681_original.jpg

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Feel like the entire discussion about Whedon, Johns, and whatever happened is going to get overtaken by all the Release the Snyder Cut fanboys.

tim1138

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't read Amethyst yet, but I agree with every other word here. Pearl and Cover were great.
Dial H was really incredible. The homages/parodies of some of the different eras and genres, particularly in the earlier issues were an absolute joy and perfect for those who have been into comics for a long time.
Also, speaking of Wonder Twins - I would love it if they followed up on ASTRISK as that sounds like it could be a really fun concept.

Amethyst is just a five or six issue mini, and issue three just came out, so at this point you way as well wait for it to wrap. That said, every page of that book is an absolute delight, I wish the world had more of Amy Reeder's art in it. When it's all said and done I fully expect it to be one of those books I wish ran forever (like Morrison/Irving Klarion).

I would be all about a Wonder Comics Year 2 type deal that followed up on ASTRISK, gave Jinny Hex or Teen Lantern a book, and let Bendis and co revive another seemingly off the wall property. Maybe when season 2 of Naomi starts?

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
Feel like the entire discussion about Whedon, Johns, and whatever happened is going to get overtaken by all the Release the Snyder Cut fanboys.
If I never have to hear the phrase 'Snyder-cut' again it will be too soon.
To hell with those awful movies and all possible cuts of them.

Eleriu

The Fallen - Teyvat Traveler
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
17 variants for Red Sonja #16, 19 variants for Vampirella #10. dynamite out here trying to make some money back.
If you want all the Red Sonja #16 variants you're looking at about $68. For Vampirella #10 that's about $76 and all together if you read both and want all the variants that would be at least $144. That's omnibus money buy an omnibus instead.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Did anyone get the FCBD Fire Power #1 today from their local comic shop? Do people still go to comic shops?

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
Final issues of Star, Hawkeye Freefall, and I Can Sell You a Body today kids.
Mods have a stipulation on the thread to stick to talking about the Whedon abuse and the movie.

_Aaron_

Oct 29, 2017
Weird.

Ive completely forgotten about DC's Earth One line tbh. I do remember really enjoying the first Batman volume. Still havent read Morrison's Wonder Woman.

Johns and Frank were working on this before Doomsday Clock, so it would have been out a while ago had that not come along and gotten delayed repeatedly.

I think Francis Manapul was working on Aquaman Earth One years ago but that's probably been canned by now.

I wanted to pick up Green Lantern: Earth One paperback that was solicited last year but DC cancelled it, so only a hardcover is available. Green Lantern Vol 2 is out pretty soon though, so hopeful it'll come.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
As a rule I'm not really into Morrison, but his Wonder Woman: Earth One is one of my favorite "runs" on the character. It's just ballsy and interesting and out there in its interpretation of politics and gender that you have to respect it. Hoping we get a third volume at some point.

I've really never had any interest in the others - the origin stories and creative teams seem too well trodden.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
Weird.

Ive completely forgotten about DC's Earth One line tbh. I do remember really enjoying the first Batman volume. Still havent read Morrison's Wonder Woman.

Morrison's Wonder Woman is the best thing the Earth One line has produced thus far. Easily.

It's still nowhere near as good as Greg Rucka's run on the character (the original), but nonetheless.

GringoSuave89

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
LA, CA
As a rule I'm not really into Morrison, but his Wonder Woman: Earth One is one of my favorite "runs" on the character. It's just ballsy and interesting and out there in its interpretation of politics and gender that you have to respect it. Hoping we get a third volume at some point.

I've really never had any interest in the others - the origin stories and creative teams seem too well trodden.

Yeah I've heard it's just... Weird. But in typical Morrison fashion. Some gut punches here and there.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017

Looks good! I'm kinda surprised you're all-in on Punchline so soon, though. What happens if they kill her off in a few months?
I looked at DC's solicits and I realized there's only five books being published there right now I give a shit about. Man, things are really dire.
Yeah, I've been buying way fewer books too. I can't say I mind with how expensive the standard price has gotten.
How many of them are NSFW?

Nice that design is getting the figure treatment. Unfortunately, it's a POP. I'd be over the moon if Kotobukiya made a bishoujo based on that.

I mean, yeah. If they used that font, they should have gone all-in and used that spelling.
That Star finale...

Lord in heaven save me
I think you may be the only person reading that book. 😂

I would read it if I didn't have to spend money to do so.

Last edited:

tim1138

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Yeah I've heard it's just... Weird. But in typical Morrison fashion. Some gut punches here and there.

Morrison's Wonder Woman is really good. I also really like the Hardman/Bechko Green Lantern book, there's really no reason why it had to be about Hal, but I really like their take on the mythos.

Status
Not open for further replies.